[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>You’ve said several times that you think THE LORD OF THE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 19

File: Sir_Christopher_Lee.jpg (222KB, 868x1196px) Image search: [Google]
Sir_Christopher_Lee.jpg
222KB, 868x1196px
>You’ve said several times that you think THE LORD OF THE RINGS will go down in cinema history.

>CHRISTOPHER LEE: Yes, I said that on my second day of work on the film, when the executives from New Line Cinema arrived in New Zealand and asked me how I thought everything was going. I said, “You are creating cinema history!” I think everyone connected with the pictures has. These films will be seen for years and years, long after the HARRY POTTER films have—I won’t say faded away—but perhaps, have lost their appeal. It is the soul of Tolkien on the screen. This film is a modern miracle and it will be remembered for a long, long time. Professor Tokien had a vision for a very long period of time. Peter Jackson had a vision. And I have my own vision: I see Professor Tokien walking over to Peter Jackson, shaking his hand and saying, “well done my boy, well done.”

Was he right?
>>
Yes, it's the greatest film trilogy that exists.
>>
>>85529435
Tolkien!!
>>
>>85529435
Based Lee was always right
>>
File: 87229.jpg (9KB, 550x332px) Image search: [Google]
87229.jpg
9KB, 550x332px
>>85529435
>These films will be seen for years and years, long after the HARRY POTTER films have—I won’t say faded away—but perhaps, have lost their appeal.
>>
sir pleb
>>
Wasnt he an OSS commando in WW2?
>>
>>85529435
>I see Professor Tokien walking over to Peter Jackson, shaking his hand and saying, “well done my boy, well done.”
yes yes well done jackson well done

HOWEVER
>>
File: 1473063744424.jpg (1MB, 1623x2886px) Image search: [Google]
1473063744424.jpg
1MB, 1623x2886px
I don't know how one can go about ranking the Harry Potter films, as all equally form one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>>
I miss him so much ;_;
>>
>>85529435
LoTR? Yes. Hobbit? Fuck no.
>>
>>85529435
almost. Christopher Lee should have been Gandalf, he wanted the role for decades and actually looks like Gandalf.
>>
File: 1476775254937.jpg (1MB, 1578x2842px) Image search: [Google]
1476775254937.jpg
1MB, 1578x2842px
>>85529435
>>85529509
Of course someone as based as Christopher Lee would say that about the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>>
>>85529509
HP's is the new LOTR.
>>
>>85529589
Is this the birth of an epic new meme?
>>
>>85529435
>I see Professor Tokien walking over to Peter Jackson, shaking his hand and saying, “well done my boy, well done.”

Then Peter Jackson cuts him entirely out of the third film

well done my boy
>>
File: Saruman.jpg (1010KB, 1815x2330px) Image search: [Google]
Saruman.jpg
1010KB, 1815x2330px
>>85529642
pic related.
Lee is so talented he could have played Gandalf and Saruman,.
>>
File: 1494351418844.gif (154KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1494351418844.gif
154KB, 500x500px
>LoTR films will always be overshadowed by GoT, capeshit and nu-star wars

Hobbit shitfest didn't help either

Feels bad man
>>
File: no.gif (8KB, 229x172px) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
8KB, 229x172px
>>85529659
>>
>>85529712
everyone loved LotR, what are you talking about? It was a complete phenomenon.
>>
>>85529642
Except Lee turned down the role because he kne he wasn't up to it physically.
>>
>>85529540
he did some sort of spoopy shit, yes
>>
Too many white people. The remake with a diverse cast will go down in cinema history as the greatest of all time.
>>
>>85529540
Correct.
>>
>>85529741
They loved it at the time, no-one gives a fuck now and in the age of "realistic" fantasy with GoT normies think it sucks while slurping down capeshit
>>
>>85529789
using white mans money, artistry and studios, of course.
>>
>>85529763
He didn't he said himself he really wanted to be gandalf but Jackson picked Ian

http://ew.com/article/2015/12/28/peter-jackson-remembers-christopher-lee/
>>
>>85529695
Tolkien's first choice to play Gandalf was Lee so it's not surprising they used his likeness to draw gandalf before the film version came out
>>
>>85529741
That is now forgotten. HP on the other hasn't been. Shit looks dated as fuck anyway, can't wait for a new adaptation.
>>
>>85529435
Yeah, down in history as one of the most overrated shitty trilogies finally time.
>>
>>85529829
white man sold all their studios to the chinese, so get ready for 5 more transformers movies and fast and furious
>>
Literally the only stupid thing I can think of from the trilogy was legolas skateboarding on a shield
>>
>>85529876
HP was a fad, LotR is timeless.
>>
fucking edgelords taking a break from capeshit threads to shit on lotr and bait for (You)'s I don't know why I still come here.
>>
>>85529932
and down an elephant trunk
>>
>>85529932
That's not stupid, that was something that happened in those times.
>>
>>85529872
Instead we got some fag who thinks God doesn't exist in Middle Earth. Solid performance though.
>>
>>85529435
I agree. As a person who had read the book long before Fellowship came out, I was absolutely blown the fuck away.
I just thought that Jackson had brought my imagination to the real world. The LoTR films are just in that fine, fine area where it feels real, but you still have the experience of another world.
>>
"Yes!"
>>
>>85529932
I have a big issue with all the orcs going down in one hit, even the big badass uruk hai gets hit once and die
>>
>>85529642
No one could have played Saruman better than Lee though
>>
>>85529942
No it isn't. The "magic school/magic in real world/learning about magic world" setting is the new LOTR. That old fart's story is outdated and played to death and the movie is unwatchable, midget actors are too obvious and the effects are nigerian tier.
>>
LotR doesn't lend itself as well to deep political commentary applicable even today like Harry Potter does, so it will inevitably be left by the wayside
>>
>>85529932
To be fair there is quite a few moments in Fellowship that are pretty stupid. Most of them involving Merry & Pippin.

I'm talking like 80s titty comedy stupid, complete with Gandalf rolling his eyes and making a "those guys" face.
>>
File: bateman.png (86KB, 244x188px) Image search: [Google]
bateman.png
86KB, 244x188px
>>85529966
>>85529999
>>
>>85529999
could've been worse, the studio's first choice was sean connery
>>
I think it was good but most people at this point agree it needs a reboot. Shake things up a little. Get a fresh new and young cast and change the soundtrack to a mix of modern pop and classic rock. The Hobbit was a step in the right direction. The base script is good but modern CGI would allow us to add so much more to the story that Tolkien couldn't even imagine.
>>
glad they got made before the kikes started making everyone niggers
>>
>>85530075
there's no way you're white or male
>>
>>85529966
keked and cheked
>>
>>85530028
>The LoTR films are just in that fine, fine area where it feels real, but you still have the experience of another world.
This so much. It's also partly why I dislike the Hobbit films so much. It looks like everyone is wearing plastic LARPing armors and shit straight out of a Wacraft cosplay competition.
>>
>>85530121
that's why the /co/ faggots are shitting this thread up
>>
File: 1495060712083.jpg (24KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1495060712083.jpg
24KB, 480x480px
>>85530110
STOP

STOP IT
>>
File: john-boyega-1.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
john-boyega-1.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>85530110
this

Boyega as Aragorn
>I would have followed you, my brother. My captain. My king.
;_;
>>
File: 1333339501314.jpg (287KB, 1027x1064px) Image search: [Google]
1333339501314.jpg
287KB, 1027x1064px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWMFpxkGO_s

>no one will EVER put this much effort into a large film again
>>
>>85529659
HP came out BEFORE LotR
>>
>>85530219
I'm no fan but Nolan certainly would for the right project
>>
>>85529589
>Stephen King
Who?
>>
LoTR is a relic of its times and would never have been made today in that condition. It captures that time period perfectly when Hollywood was willing to experiment and put faith in its creators. Now it's all cinematic universes back and forth in highly corporatized environments that reduces the director to a mere grunt worker.

Peter Jackson showed us the best of high budget cinema with his trilogy. On that point Lee was right.
>>
>>85530091
>Sean Connery turned it down because he didn't "get it"
>regrets it and thinks it was one of his biggest mistakes as an actor

How would Sean Connery as Gandalf have worked out?
>>
>>85530110
That was just subtle enough to draw me in, well done friend.
>>
>>85529474
fpbp
>>
>>85530289
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK8p7rBMAWE
>>
>>85530214
>A would have folled you, mah brother. Mah cap'n. Mah keeng.
>>
>>85530110

True. Needs more POC actors/actresses in it as well. It was on the wrong side of history and will be less and less popular as time goes on because people will see how CIS gender/white male focused the movie is.
>>
>>85530372
>Muh Brotha, Muh Nigga. Muh Fugga.
>>
>>85529540
Yeah, he corrected Jackson on what someone getting stabbed in the back would sound like. He also witnessed the last public execution in France, and was arguably the inspiration for Bond. Got to be Saruman, a Bond villain, Dracula, Lord Summerisle, lived to be over 90 and sung in a metal album about Charlemagne. If you can even live a tenth of the life Christopher Lee lived, you've done well.
>>
>>85530387

Yes. The house of Bëor is described as "dark" and brown-eyed. That's right folks, 1/3 of Numenoereans were black.
>>
>>85530372
>not kang
literally one fucking job and completely fucked it up that is honestly just embaraassing jesus christ dude
>>
>>85530414
Ian Fleming was his own inspiration for Bond
>>
>>85529876
No, just no.
>>
>>85529435
>tfw Lee was a huge LOTR fan from way back
>Met tolkien once at a dinner
>Tolkien tells him he would make a great Gandalf
>spaghetti everywhere
Based Lee.
>>
>>85530110
this plus some diversity and more quips and pop culture references
>>
>>85530445
>british blacks talk the same as american ones

come on son
>>
>>85530414
Uhhhh he was also COUNT DOOKU.
Can't believe you forgot that
>>
>>85529663
Something is definitely new.
>>
File: American-psycho-bateman-1-.jpg (216KB, 590x322px) Image search: [Google]
American-psycho-bateman-1-.jpg
216KB, 590x322px
>>85530088
Very nice.
>>
>>85530618
Intentionally ignoring isn't the same as forgetting
>>
>>85530081
It very muches does, just not the sort of commentary retarded /pol/ babies and tumblrinas are capable of doing.
>>
>>85530818
Are you really going to take that b8?
>>
>>85530856
I'm sorre, I've spent quite some time trying to find a thread that both interests me and doesn't have any /pol/ b8 in it and I was caught by surprise by his keikaku
>>
Why does everyone hate Harry Potter so much?
>>
>>85530110
Fuck you.
>>
>>85531046
it's young adult literature which makes it an easy target. But while not having anything original, it's polished to a shine which provides its staying power. Rowling's frantic cultural Marxist activism shouldn't take away from a very entertaining series
>>
>>85529474
Just watched it again last weekend. Holds up the same as the first time. Perfect.
>>
>>85529540
>Peter, do you have any idea what sound a man makes when he's stabbed in the back? Because I do."
>>
>>85529435
not really, I can see why he thought that because FotR is an amazing film but the others just don't hold up. even then fantasy is never going to be that important in the history of cinema

The Hobbit also sort of ruined their legacy by being downright dreadful
>>
>>85529648
>>85529589
you could even say

she has no discernable talent

couldnt you harold
>>
The third film really fucked some things up. Like the Minas Tirith siege where you get all this beautiful build up only to have the fucking ghosts come in and mop everything up or the 12 endings.
>>
Kek, Christopher Lee was fucking based.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY
>>
>>85529435
Yeah. Lord of the Rings is the pinnacle of adapting a fantasy story to the big screen.

I almost can't believe that it happened and worked so well.
>>
>>85530809

Not that anon but he was probably the best character in those shitty movies.
>>
>>85530081
>deep politcal commentary
>HP's bad guy is Hitler if he was a wizard
That REALLY makes me think
>>
>>85531698
Palpatine was also good. I think TFA is the only star wars without an entertaining villain.
>>
>>85529435
Absolutely correct.

In hindsight its not only a miracle these got made but that they were made by a cast & crew with that much raw talent and dedication.

>Director with VFX background who can actually direct a scene
>Director hasn't gone full retard in his career yet (see: Hobbit shit films)
>A-list actors in all roles or if not A-list, top-tier talent
>Massive practical effects budget spent wisely on items created by true craftsmen
>CGI utilized so well it still (mostly) holds up despite the age of those films vis where the tech was at the time
>Producers willing to allow 3 films to be shot back-to-back without a pause to "test" the success of the franchise.
>Industry not yet then obsessed with """universes""" allowing the source material to stand on its own
>Directors Cuts of all 3 films worth owning if you're a fan
>Physical media releases contain GOAT-tier commentary/content as well as high quality pack-ins
>Enjoyable to watch as a fun film experience, some actual craft for the critics to enjoy as well

Holy fuck, just typing that off the top of my head I'm fucking astounded all over again now. Truly special, even if you hate Tolkien/LoTR.
>>
Even Fellowship has a couple of questionable creative decisions, they just got even worse in the sequels:
>Frodo is reduced to a traumatized, useless load
>ambiguously magical scenes like Galadriel's temptation are adapted without any sort of subtletly
>Aragorn doesn't want to be king because he needs a character arc
>stupid "Elves are racist against Men but they get better" plotline
>Merry, Pippin and Gimli become comic reliefs

I mean, all of these are in the category of NOT MUH bitching and the movies are still an achievement, but even Fellowship isn't the perfect adaptation /tv/ thinks it is.
>>
>>85531655
I see your FIVE THOUSAND SAXON MEN
and raise you a Metal Christmas carol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVzOve8T39w
>>
When I play D&D, I always get the same feeling I get while watching Fellowship of the Ring. It is this weird feeling of perfect immersion and happiness.
>>
>>85529932
I still dislike how utterly useless the soldiers of Gondor are shown in Return of the King, but otherwise yeah.
>>
>>85532218
>D&D
>perfect immersion
kek
>>
>>85530219
the entire BTS of the trilogy shows that no remake not even one that didn't pander to diversity would even come close to the effort put in
>>
>>85532142
Don't forget the amazing scores the movies had.
>>
>>85532274
Sorry you don't have an imagination anon.
>>
>>85532304
Holy fuck, true.
>>
>>85532218
D&D ruined fantasy with muh power levels
>>
>>85532451
- I enjoy a thing!
- No, you do not. In fact the thing that you happen to "like" is worst thing to happen to the medium.

fuck off neckbeard
>>
>>85532578
>In fact the thing that you happen to "like" is worst thing to happen to the medium.
In the case of D&D it's literally true though. The worldbuilding is cardboard and it set so many bad standards for both hack fantasy writing and tabletop games. Half the fantasy clichés people blame on Tolkien really come from D&D.
>>
>>85529435
>DEAAAAATH
>Rohirim starts playing
if you didn't got a boner might as well suicide
>>
>>85529966
True Fact ®
>>
>>85529663
Dullposting is old, it was just ban on sight for a while.

It should be still. /lit/ memes are shit memes.
>>
>>85532704
I am not about a tabletop game. He just shared his personal experience and you two just mocked it.
This is the reason why you guys post on 4chan and don't get invited to parties.
>>
>>85529435
Yes. It's been 15 years and I don't think the trilogy has been beaten in terms of blockbuster movies. It's phenomenal.
>>
>>85529642
>and actually looks like Gandalf.
eeeeeeeeeeeeeh source on this?
>>
>>85529474
/thread.
>>
File: 1495991489743.gif (1MB, 389x286px) Image search: [Google]
1495991489743.gif
1MB, 389x286px
>>85530110
I laughed.
>>
>>85529509
Anon, when's the last time you've seen Normies actually watch or read Harry Potter?
>>
>>85529435
Yes, he was. It's remarkable that the films were even made and it's a miracle that they were so successful in bringing Tolkien's world to life.
They pretty much set the standard for big budget films in the new century, unfortunately this isn't a standard that's being met by the current torrent of capeshit and franchised movie series that are shitting up the movie industry right now. Here's hoping it'll improve in the next few years.
>>
File: tfw.png (68KB, 1784x1174px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.png
68KB, 1784x1174px
>>85529435
>Professor Tokien had a vision for a very long period of time. Peter Jackson had a vision. And I have my own vision: I see Professor Tokien walking over to Peter Jackson, shaking his hand and saying, “well done my boy, well done.”
>>
>>85533357
not him but all the fucking time
but rarely adults tho
>>
>>85532245
I think they're shown as heavily outnumbered. It feels like there's only 50 of them or something.
>>
>>85531095
lots of annoying women are obsessed with it.
>>
>>85533357

I've heard adult hamplanets discussing harry potter gay shipping and their kids in a restaurant.
>>
>>85531095
>Rowling's frantic cultural Marxist activism

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/07/j-k-rowlings-schizophrenic-politics/

She's a stealth Tory
>>
>>85531966

I actually like how Kylo Ren turned out but I guess its due to the fact that while everything is a rehash of New Hope, he actually subverts your expectations and instead of being Darth Vader 2.0 is actually just an edgy teenager.
>>
>>85529932
there are many far worse things
>>
>>85533754
>considering the freudian implications of Hogwarts setting, she must be a closeted tory

She's just a lefty with an authoritarian bent and a romantic affection for things that are "English".
>>
File: 149903224602482.png (75KB, 851x871px) Image search: [Google]
149903224602482.png
75KB, 851x871px
>>85533466
>>
>>85529846
Interesting how much self-doubt Christopher Lee seemed to have about his own legacy.
>>
>>85531643
Worth it just for the scene where Gandalf comforts pippin in minas tirith.
>I didn't think it would end this way.
>End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.
>What? Gandalf? See what?
>White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
>Well, that isn't so bad.
>No. No, it isn't.
>>
>>85529435

Yeah he's right. It's a modern masterpiece.

I'm so thankful it got made before the forced diversity casting plague and SJW insanity spread everywhere in Hollywood. It could never be made today, they would have half the cast black, Muslim and trans.
>>
>>85529435
Haven't watched these flicks in a long damn time. I'll have to go back and see if they hold up. My gut says probably.

As far as the "better than Harry Potter" thing, yeah, of course. An original fantasy novel series being better than its own derivative YA copycat is a given.
>>
>>85530219

How does one become a camera man?
>>
>>85530277
I take it you're an expert in film production?
>>
>>85530618

I've been looling foh-wauerd to this
>>
>>85529435
Was he right?

>Christopher Lee
>Any question of him ever being anything but right.

Die in a ditch.
>>
>>85529663
This guy is double baiting if you reply telling him he's a retard and new it is you who is even newer!
>>
>>85535888
They hold up amazingly well, and will for many years to come, you won't be disappointed.
>>
If you hate on lotr yours objectively wrong and should accept they're masterpieces but you're wired wrong and unable to enjoy it.
>>
>>85535888
I rewatch and reread lord of the rings them once a year. Usually when its cold as fuck out, for maximum comfy.
>>
>>85532152
Fuck off Armond
>>
File: ChristopherTolkien1.jpg (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
ChristopherTolkien1.jpg
11KB, 200x200px
>>85529435
"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time. The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing. There is only one solution for me: to turn my head away. They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people aged 15 to 25, and it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film." - Christopher Tolkien

Which Christopher was right?
>>
>>85535888
They hold up shockingly well, only a few bits of the CG really feel dated to any capacity.
>>
>>85536803
LOTR is great for what it is but I won't deny there are things that could have been done better, The Hobbit however is a fucking travesty that should have never been made.
>>
>>85536578
>I was only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>85536803
Christopher Tolkien is wrong.
>>
>>85529474
This. The acting is good, the dialogue is good

Watching harry potter or star wars.. they cant even get dialogue down. Acting is also awful
Lotr is the only trilogy that will be good during any timeperiod
>>
>>85529435
>well done my boy, well done
>HOWEVER
>*shits on The Hobbit*
>>
>>85536920
This. It has a few faults but overall it's a miracle how well those movies turned out. The Hobbit movies on the other hand are largely awful with bits and pieces of good strewn about.
>>
>>85529663
Summerfag
>>
I think he's right. As long as he's not talking about the extended directors cut version
>>
>>85529965
But the scene was immediately redeemed by Gimlis one line.
>>
>>85529813
maybe in pop culture and hot topic clothes sure but theyre still respected as movies and talked about.

Just because there isnt a hundred things of sponsored content and clickbait every day doesn't mean its obscure now
>>
>>85529435
>>85530219
At least Lee didn't live to see the travesty of The Hobbit films
>>
He's pretty much spot on there
>>
>>85529474
It won 17 academy awards, it's hard to argue against it.

My only complaint is that Two Towers and Return of The King is a little bloated. Certain scenes could be trimmed down and other left out.

Mostly any scene where Legolas is OP, they are just cheesy and clash with the tone in the films, the scenes with Treebeard could be cut down as they slow the film to a fucking hault in the middle of the most exciting battle of the triology.

But in the end, by the time I reach the third act of Return of The King, I've cried 10 times all ready and it's a cryathon from there to the end of the film and it's so worth it.

I hear alot of older people tell me I dont understand how it was to grow up with the star wars films, but I think I get it and I think I got the better end of the deal.
>>
>>85537392
Well the difference is the LotR movies were "spoiled" by the books being 50 years old.
>>
>>85537611
not when you were 11-13 when they came out.
>>
>>85537679
My parents actually had me read each book before seeing the movies, not like forced me to but strongly suggested it. It made seeing them a lot more fun for the first time, at least for me.
>>
>>85529474
>not Captain America
>not Iron Man
>not Avengers
loser
>>
>>85529474
this. I'm still astounded at just how good those movies were.
>>
>>85529474
wow, first post is the best post
>>
>>85536787
I used to do the rewatch every year thing too. Then it became every other year. Last time I saw them was a few months ago and I felt like I was done. We'll see.
>>
>>85536803
He was be really melodramatic. They have a fair few minor flaws and there is more emphasis on action than the books, but the LotR films are as good of an adaption of Tolkien that you're going to get.

If they were as bad as the Hobbit movies he'd be entirely right. It's a much easier book to adapt to film that LotR, which makes it even worse.
>>
File: feels.jpg (74KB, 342x427px)
feels.jpg
74KB, 342x427px
>>85530219
>>85537282

Sir Ian McKellen has said that he cried with frustration over filming scenes for Peter Jackson's new 'Hobbit' film with a green screen instead of with other actors.

The actor, who has played Gandalf since Jackson's first 'Lord of the Rings' film, became upset after he had to perform the scenes with only pictures of his other cast-mates.

[Related story: The Hobbit's running time revealed]

[Related story: Gollum takes over Wellington airport]
“In order to shoot the dwarves and a large Gandalf, we couldn't be in the same set. All I had for company was 13 photographs of the dwarves on top of stands with little lights - whoever's talking flashes up,” he told Contact Music.

“Pretending you're with 13 other people when you're on your own, it stretches your technical ability to the absolute limits.

“I cried, actually. I cried. Then I said out loud, 'This is not why I became an actor'. Unfortunately the microphone was on and the whole studio heard.”
>>
>>85529829
Lol no Jews. Why do white people get slighted about losing media that was never theirs to begin with. Tolkien was a jew
>>
>>85537820
holy shit mine did the same thing
>>
>>85538108
I put this down to them not having enough pre-production. As far as I know, they couldn't do the same kind of forced perspective that they used on LOTR because of the 3D cameras. I feel like if they had enough time they could have found a solution but were forced to simply green screen the whole thing
>>
>>85538108

Then he should have made a statement and changed something or walked off the project. Why bother complaining about something you're clearly on board with?
>>
>>85529435
this old hack is gonna die anyday now
>>
Why were the hobbit movies so shit

What the fuck happened
>>
>>85539908
they had at least 3 years for pre-production, planning, writing, casting, everything for LOTR. For The Hobbit Jackson was reluctant to direct, Del Toro dropped out meaning a lot of his pre-production work had to be tossed out, then the studio basically told him that if he didn't step in they would give the movies to either Brett Ratner or Bryan Singer (can't remember which one). Jackson finally stepped in and then had only a few months for pre-production. This lead to a lot of the later scenes in the trilogy to pretty much be made up on the spot. If you look at the behind the scenes there are times where they just have everyone running in front of a green screen and reacting to things just so that they could say that they shot stuff and try and find place to put it. They were shooting fight scenes for the battle of the five armies without any understanding of how the fight was going to look or work.
>>
>>85539908
>>85540232
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk
>>
>>85540232
Holy shit

Not even sure what to feel about jackson
>>
>>85538578
actors usually sign contracts and shit, lad.
>>
>>85529435
I don't care for fantasy or Lotr, but what he's saying is true
>>
>>85529435
lol no

action adventure garbage
>>
>>85537392
>the scenes with Treebeard could be cut down as they slow the film to a fucking hault in the middle of the most exciting battle of the triology.
Now, now. There's no reason to be . . . . hasty =)
>>
>>85540703

fuck it he's like 80, what were they going to do?
>>
>>85540831
Sue him?
>>
>>85540831

Old people like money, McKellen, McDuck...
>>
File: bfotrringsouth2[1].jpg (31KB, 478x416px) Image search: [Google]
bfotrringsouth2[1].jpg
31KB, 478x416px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvAXidAPTRM
>>
>>85529474
anyone who denies this is a pleb/contrarian.
>>
File: 1486885268554.jpg (31KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
1486885268554.jpg
31KB, 620x413px
Stop watching Lord of the Rings
>>
>>85529474
Star Wars is better
>>
>>85532152
literally none of your points are true
>>
>>85532152
>Elves are racist

I'm not sure you can call it racism when they're objectively superior
>>
>>85541439
TAX POLICY
A
X

P
O
L
I
C
Y
Thread posts: 187
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.