[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do critics tend to hate all horror movies, unless they are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Why do critics tend to hate all horror movies, unless they are more funny than scary and contain self-aware camp?
>>
Horror movies are garbage for stoners and edgy 14 year olds. That's why.
>>
Let's just get the obvious thing out of the way, the majority of horror movies just aren't that good.
>>
I think a lot of contemporary acclaim for older classic horror movies is simply nostalgia and if they were released today they would be incredibly panned.
>>
HORROR MOVIES HAVE STUPID PEOPLE IN THEM 90% OF THE TIME, DOESN'T REALLY WORK OTHERWISE
>>
>>85496444
Horror as its own genre is dead. No one over the age of 18 takes them seriously anymore.
>>
There are good horror movies which are scary and not funny or self aware, it's just that nowadays shit horror movies that only rely on jumpscares and gore are a dime a dozen
>>
>>85496516

I could easily say that most action/superhero movies are even more childish, and yet critics love the shit out of them. Critics seem to have almost a vendetta against the horror genre and only appreciate horror films like Cabin in the Woods or Get Out that "subvert" the genre and make fun of it
>>
>>85496706
DEPENDS ON THE AMOUNT OF $ SPENT ON SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS AKA EYE CANDY TO MAKE A SHITTY MOVIE SLIGHTLY MORE INTERESTING
>>
>>85496706
What are some horror movies that subvert the genre but don't make a big fucking joke out of it?
So far I've got You're Next.
>>
>>85496444
because le post-modern irony is still great and totally not a stale dead-end and you cannot be criticized for it because it had satire xD
>>
Looks like the new Jigsaw is going this route. Wouldn't surprise me if it got a decent 70% by critics for being "self-aware" and funnier than previous saw movies
>>
Critics follow the media trends, you can only rely upon yourself to determine a good movie.

Granted, horror movies are cheap and easy to make. So there will be lots of shit ones. I personally love horror, but there are not a lot of good ones and I only ever get scared at jump scares.
>>
>>85496516
(you) faggot
>>
horror is the one genre where I never consider reviews. I just look at the trailer and if the premise is interesting and the camera work isn't complete shit, I'll watch it
>>
>>85496845
The 3 solid horror movie i like : Rec 1, The descent and martyr.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.