[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Americans typically tell whenever a foreign actor is portraying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 15

File: aiden-thewire.jpg (37KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
aiden-thewire.jpg
37KB, 640x320px
Can Americans typically tell whenever a foreign actor is portraying an American accent? Does it take you out of the scene when you hear it?

Blueblooded Australian here, Anytime an American actor is trying on a British or Australian accent it ALWAYS sounds like a bad parody, even when it's sincere.

But I don't have the right ear to judge how well our actors are doing y'all accents.

pic is not the best example but is related
>>
>>85478002
Is there an example of good Aussie accent by non Aussie ever in history?
>>
>>85478027
Meryl Streep got close.
>>
>>85478027

Mel Gibson
>>
>>85478054
Isn't that half NZ influenced?
>>
>>85478027
Robin Williams did it well but the best I've heard was this American guy in america who had learnt the aussie accent solely to fuck drunk women.
>>
>>85478002
I can usually tell it's fake when they exaggerate the hard R's of American English, or when they try to pull off an over-exaggerated region accent. It's the equivalent of an American trying to sound British by saying "ello govnah". Heath Ledger, Gary Oldman and Daniel Day-Lewis are good examples of people who can (or did) pull it off well.

Charlie Hunnam, Sam Worthington and Ewan McGregor are actors who sound like dogshit when they try.
>>
File: 1453176653235.gif (944KB, 290x200px) Image search: [Google]
1453176653235.gif
944KB, 290x200px
>>85478002
Almost always. Brit actors often use this sort of snarl to pass for a Great Lakes Neutral*, and forget about a "Southern" accent, of which there are around a couple dozen, all rather distinct from each other and next to impossible for foreigners to detect, let alone impersonate. The actors in The Wire were heavily handicapped by the fact that it was set in Bawlmore (Baltimore); even the American actors couldn't pull off a Marylander.

The worst is a foreign actor attempting to sound like a rural Midwesterner, especially a Minnesotan. It's like a caricature of a caricature.

That said, I think English and Aussie actors are much better at recreating American accents than American actors are at recreating English and Aussie ones. And they usually act so well it's easy to forgive how hideous the accent is. The only American actors I've ever heard employ passable English accents are James Cromwell and Danny Huston.

*For years I confused Hugh Laurie and Dominic West, because they sound exactly the same when producing an "American" accent. Aidan Gillen also produced that same effect as Tommie Garcetti, as well as every other "American" character he plays.
>>
>>85478315
>For years I confused Hugh Laurie and Dominic West, because they sound exactly the same when producing an "American" accent.

Are you fucking blind? Did you ever look at their faces?
>>
File: swearengen.jpg (17KB, 296x260px) Image search: [Google]
swearengen.jpg
17KB, 296x260px
Idris Elba doesn't always hide his accent well. Hell, a lot of those Wire actors (Dominic West breaks accent all the time) are guilty of the same.
Love Ian McShane, but he does it constantly on Deadwood. It was so bad they had to write a British backstory that the real-life Al Swearengen didn't have.
>>
>>85478027
Dev Patel in Lion
>>
>>85478002
>Can Americans typically tell whenever a foreign actor is portraying an American accent?
no
>>
Particularly in The Wire, him and McNulty were obviously Irish or British. Idris Elba did a much better job hiding his accent.
>>
I'll never forget how fucking bad the Australian father and son team were in Pacific Rim.

Why the fuck did they have an American Bulldog even? Why not a cattledog or something?
>>
>>85478168
>Charlie Hunnam

That guy can't even do a good English accent, it's almost impressive
>>
>>85478346
No, my vision is so good I was a scout-sniper in the Marine Corps. I just don't spend too much time trying to distinguish between two slender, pale Englishmen with curly brown hair who sound exactly the same when pretending to be American characters.

It's not that big a deal, bro. Just calm your fiery, flabby man-tits, have mom toast you a Pop-Tart, and chill. I get it out. You watched House, MD. It's cool. You're a tasteless piece of human garbage, but I'm not going to get worked up about it.
>>
>>85478372
>t. asshurt kraut
>>
>>85478002
No, because British actors are generally classically trained and are of a higher caliber than American actors who do other anglo accents. It's not as easy as people make it out to be though and there have been some atrocious ones. The worst recently that I can recall is Charles Dance's in Woman in Gold.
>>
>>85478435
Yeah he's been in burger land too long. I was gonna watch city of z but I honestly can't stand his accent. It's all over the place
>>
>>85478355
In McShane's defence, I had to watch Deadwood with subtitles on because the amount of words thrown in your face in any given scene with Swearengen made my non english foreign brain melt.

So no wonder he broke character sometimes.

Still a great performance.
>>
the worst american accent ive ever heard is matt in the leftovers. his accent is unbelievably terrible and not convincing in the slightest.
>>
>>85478002
no, I thought CIA and idris elbow sounded fine in the wire
>>
>>85478027
matthew mcconaughey
>>
>>85478054
nah that was a weird kiwi australian hybrid that ended up sounding like neither

>>85478002
I imagine American accents are something every actor has to learn if they want any kind of role in Hollywood. The same doesn't go for Australian accents, which is why they sound fucking shit
>>
>>85478607
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ZVqZHZAW0
here's an example
it's pretty good for the most part
>>
>>85478443
*tips military fatigues*
>>
>>85478002
In general no, we can't tell. Only if our specific regional accent is being imitated could we tell, but we can tell when anyone's doing that, even a fellow burger not from that region.
>>
>>85478433
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc4okRx52t8
they're far from the worst examples

Tarantino had a horrible one in Django Unchained too, but he's not an actor so I can excuse it
>>
>>85478524
he needs some speech coaching or something
>>
>>85478027
anthony cumia

AYE NAYY
>>
>>85478027
Sam Niel or some other kiwi actor.
>>
>>85478002
Yeah it's really obvious and it often does take me out of the scene, but the music and tense moments are good enough usually that I don't mind. The only times it rubbed me really the wrong way was the Walking Dead for Rick and for a while the Governor. Also Sons of Anarchy.

Some people sound weird with their American accent, but I like it. Like Idris Elba and Christian Bale. They don't sound like any accent, but it still sounds appealing.
>>
>>85478827
kiwis don't count, they just need to flip their vowels and they could pass as a South Australian
>>
>>85478443
how's the gorilla warfare going btw?
>>
>>85478902
>gorilla warfare
are you autistic?
>>
>>85478902
>gorilla warfare
stop being racist you fuck
>>
>>85478902
dat casual racism
>>
The thing about America is that its so fucking big that as long as the character doesn't specifically say "I was born and raised in Boston" you can reasonably explain away a quirk in the accent as the result of him living in some obscure suburb of Oregon for a few years and picking up a little of the accent there.

With technology and tv I've noticed that even here in Tampa where you would expect southern accents most people under 30 have the same generic American accent no matter where they're from.
>>
File: 0lBXFeW.png (108KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
0lBXFeW.png
108KB, 400x381px
>>85478002
>beneficial cucumber's abysmal accent in doctor strange
>>
>>85478849
Nah, you just to run drystock for 5 years until your accent is so thick neither kiwi or aussie can understand you. Happened to me, people sometimes think im taking the piss cause I sound like high pitched dundee.
>>
>>85478779
God that was horrible, all he did was say mate.
>>
File: 1448605258942.png (5KB, 240x232px) Image search: [Google]
1448605258942.png
5KB, 240x232px
>>85479063
>move to Melbourne from Perth
>everyone assumes I'm a foreigner trying to put on an Australian accent
>>
>>85478443
>gets called face blind
>posts like 8 passive aggressive put downs in response then says he isn't worked up about it

haha sensitive bitch
>>
>>85478002
No, actually. In fact, as an American, I can often tell when an American is trying to do a fake English accent, but not when an English person is doing an American accent, even when I know the actor is English, like Christian Bale or Gary Oldman. I think this is because English actors are generally better actors than American ones, with more formal training. So they can do the voice far more convincingly.
>>
>>85478367
This. Only saw the trailer but it was pretty good.
>>
>>85479116
>Needed to learn basic maori for a doc block / marae land I helped maintain
>Taught how to say the vowells properly
>Dad always spoke maori place names like a drunk
>Be speaking maori and mid sentence I have to say "Rengiteykey"
>Brain explodes
And thats how I developed my speech inpediment.
>>
>>85479116
didn't even know Western Australians had an accent
that said, I've never met a Western Australian
>>
>>85479245
>never met an real Australian
ftfy
>>
>>85479158
How in the fuck is the Minesotta accent a thing?
>>
>>85479158
Something tangentially related I want to add to this is that in my experience, I've noticed I can tell when someone is Canadian but most British people cannot. So I guess that's one things Americans can do.
>>
>>85478443
Man you're a bitch.
>>
>>85479328
Is there a Canadian accent? I remember in Argo they chose to pretend to be Canadians because they didn't have to learn an accent as Americans.
>>
>>85478443
>muh military experience

why do Americans do this
>>
>>85478443
lmao saved for future pasta use
>>
>>85479410
NZarmyfag here, its the only interesting career ive had so its the first career i mention to people.
>>
>>85478002
yes because it's like you intentionally try to sound like a parody. guy from house is a good example. nobody actually sounds like that but I can see that's how brits imagine we speak
>>
>>85479400
The main "tell" for a Canadian accent is the way they say the word "about." It's subtle but it's there.
>>
>>85478443
Should've said Toaster Strudel instead of Pop-Tart but otherwise this is pretty good.
>>
>>85478002
>Can Americans typically tell whenever a foreign actor is portraying an American accent?
Sometimes. Some brits do a very passable american accent (Hugh Laurie comes to mind). A lot of canadians can fake it really well, too. It depends a lot on how local you are to what's being portrayed. I'm in the northeast, so I tend to notice those accents the quickest if they're "off". An Australian could probably do the accent of a Texan or a Georgian so I wouldn't notice, but people from those places might.
>>
>>85478443
your*
>>
>>85478443
>I was a scout-sniper in the Marine Corps.
lol faggot
>>
>>85479452
Do New Zealand actually get involved in any wars? I know you were involved in Malaya and Vietnam, but didn't you back out of ANZUS over nuclear submarines or something?
>>
>>85479465
Also, "soo-ry"
>>
>>85479310
MN fag, It's a mix of Candian and Scandinavian accents. it gets more obvious when you go up North near Duluth, most people just have a longer vowel sounds.
I've heard most of these things at least three times living here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OymMl734Ews
>>
>>85478346
Prosopagnosia is a thing, you know.
>>
File: 51GAS3VCA2L.jpg (42KB, 335x475px) Image search: [Google]
51GAS3VCA2L.jpg
42KB, 335x475px
Zellweger nailed it in this and even the posh bongs thought so

she somehow butchered it in the sequel though
>>
Too many Brits overuse the nasal effect in a generic American accent. It should be there, but so many sound like they're trying to talk out of their nose.
>>
>>85479523
Yeah. Canadians draw out most words with the O sound, for some reason.
>>
>>85479536

Judging by his response though his problem is in the rectal area.
>>
>>85478002
Yes, you can tell. Another thing we can tell that others can't is when a Canadian plays an American, they never even BOTHER to hide their Canadian accents.
>>
Brits can pull off really authentic sounding American accents sometimes, Hugh Laurie is a great example of someone who did it so well that a lot of Americans genuinely thought he was American. Americans can very rarely pull off a good British accent, on the other hand.
>>
I would literally kill a man if it meant I could do a convincing Kerry accent
>>
>>85479579
fuck off
leave /sp/
leave /tv/
>>
>>85479465
There's no "Canadian" accent just like there's no "American" accent. Rural Ontario is very different from Saskatchewan, which is very different from Newfoundland.
>>
>>85479577
Yeah I've never heard of anyone else but pic related tricking a Britfag into thinking he was native
>>
>>85479514
Nah, we havent been in anything since the Falklands, we still have deployements all over the show doing "rebuilding" so our funding doesnt get cut. Our SAS and Commando are integrated with british SAS, those guys get to see action.
But really getting deployement is like winning the fucking lotto, I was in for 6 years and I got to go to Australia once.
>>
>>85478168
>Gary Oldman
That's an exceptional case. Oldman just disappears into characters.

>Daniel Day-Lewis
Thing with his accent is it's just the DDL Accent. He doesn't sound like he's from anywhere, exactly. It's more just an entertaining, and highly exaggerated, caricature.
>>
>>85479549
I swore Tom Pelphrey was British when I first heard him because of this but then he turned out to be American so I guess some Americans do have voices like that.
>>
File: sons-of-anarchy-jax-teller.jpg (1MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sons-of-anarchy-jax-teller.jpg
1MB, 1500x1000px
It sounded liike he had a bad lisp the whole time. Like he's a dumb biker who grew up around bikers so he never really went to school and learn how to speak properly.

It was cool to just wrap it up that way.
>>
>>85479529
just a note this video is overly exaggerated so other MN fags pick up on it, A lot truly believe they don't have an accent, but as soon as so go down a state people know instantly where you are from.
>>
>>85479599
no
>>
>Zimbabwean
>accent has only ever been attempted once in a Hollywood movie
>it was horrible

Leo didn't even get the right fucking country, he was trying to be a South African the dumb fuck
>>
>>85479631
Yea no shit, people from other countries cant tell though so stop being a faggit. Its like me telling you that Aucklandfags sound different to us purebreed southies.
>>
>>85478002
Yeah, it's usually noticeable like.
>Let's get down to next on deee agenderr.
Hugh Laurie has the best US accent for a foreigner I can think of.
>>
>>85479465
na fuck off, its that "aye" shit. Its everywhere. Not even a meme. Every fucking canuck that comes here says aye
>>
File: themaindifference.png (394KB, 710x486px) Image search: [Google]
themaindifference.png
394KB, 710x486px
>>85479577
I wish we still had these threads instead of just an endless torrent of "KEK KEK EUROKEK SHARIA LAW AMERIKEK 56% SPIC SPIC"
>>
>>85479835
Random R's really are a big offender. Makes so many characters sound like they're a 60yr old rural New Yorker.
>>
>>85479640
i honestly thought that cunt was british, he did A great job
>>
>>85479846
saying a word a lot not an accent
>>
>>85479577
I started to wonder why that is. I thought maybe British people are better at acting, but then I realized that's not right either. I realized the American accent is the right way of speaking English, so it's easier to go from butchered tongue to correctly pronouncing words, but it's harder to butcher your accent the other way around.
>>
File: 49681438.jpg (32KB, 490x350px) Image search: [Google]
49681438.jpg
32KB, 490x350px
>>85478443
>this atomic asshurt
Pls be real pls be real pls be real
>>
>>85479400
Each province has a few. Newfoundland has one per region and Some QuebecQucks will not respect someone with an actual French accent.
>>
>>85479846
Aye
>>
>>85478027

I'm pretty sure that's what the average American think Australians sound like.

If they heard a real Australian accent they'd think it was just a bad imitation.
>>
>>85479549
Gary Oldman comes to mind.
>>
>>85479892
Nice bait, here's the only reply you'll get.
>>
>>85479920
as an overall thing

every country has regional variation, even ones that were settled less than 200 years ago like Australia and New Zealand. They all still have a broad accent though, barring England
>>
>>85479979
>>85479920
Obviously Quebec has a different one though, I'm talking about anglo Canada
>>
>>85479577
I remember reading that when they were casting Hugh Laurie, a bunch of British people were auditioning and the guy was like "Finally, an American." So that's pretty hilarious.
>>
>>85478002
I'm not american but Henry Cavill's struggling in UNCLE was unbearable
>>
>>85478355
McShane's performance was fine. It fit the time well. American English then wasn't like American English now. It was perfectly acceptable for there to be a little lilt of the homeland in any voice.
>>
>>85479887
yeah i see that read that wrong, my bad. I guess what i'm saying is the only real way to identify Canadians today is through that phrase. 50 odd years ago you would notice a distinct accent that would separate them from the Americans. Canadian "Culture" doesn't really exist anymore. I think its due to the fact that they mostly consume American media, live in close proximity to Americans and interact with more Americans than any other place in the world.

This is just what I observed when I lived there for a couple years
>>
>>85479974
He's not wrong. American English is how the British used to speak before they went full retard and the poor tried to sound fancy.
>>
File: 1499837012997.jpg (55KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1499837012997.jpg
55KB, 720x720px
>>85478443
>all these folks getting baited by this post
Not bad. /tv/ doesn't even try anymore. I had an entire thread going with a few 'europe is lost, we should just go take over africa' posts.
>>
>>85479963
OI WHITE CUNT!!! GIVE US YA FUCKIN MONEY!!! AN GIVE US EM FUCKIN SHOES EH?!!!
>>
It's harder to tell for Americans because we have a wide range of accents within our own country plus it's routine for people of other countries to move here.
>>
>>85479974
>>85479892

As an Australian I partially agree. I NEVER have issues understanding dialogue in American movies. British dialogue can sometimes be impossible to understand, probably understood only 75% of what they were saying in Dunkirk
>>
>>85480049
Isn't that supposed to be only true for some parts of southern America? Like somehow pre-Victorian English just never left those woods.
>>
Post cutest accents

https://youtu.be/dCBpVeoddwo
>>
>>85480082
Maybe. I thought it was the newscaster English.
>>
>>85479577
The 'transatlantic' English that was spoken in old Hollywood was the best, to be honest. Most of those actors were well enough schooled by the studios that they could pass off decent English accents, but they typically opted for some strange, civilized middle ground.

For example, when you hear Orson Welles speak, he doesn't particularly sound American as much as he sounds like Orson Welles.
>>
>>85480049
That's not quite true. Some components of the American accent are in line with the older English (and Irish) accents, but the English definitely did not talk like the modern American at any point in history.
>>
>>85480082
Yeah, that's why they produce so many long As in their vocabulary.
>>
>>85480096
Alright
http://youtu.be/AjyyoAeHPzU
>>
>>85480082
Iowa is supposed to have the most authentic old English way of speaking.
>>
>>85480125
Nice backpedaling. It's not my fault other countries can't understand you guys.
>>
>>85480078
I'm also Australian I only really struggle with the northern accents from places like Yorkshire, but I can still make out most of what they say. That might be because I watch a lot of cricket and effectively grew up listening to the English talk.
>>
>>85480135
You're retarded, look up Shakespearean OP, it's clearly incredibly similar to how people in Cornwall speak.

Why would Americans have unchanged accents when half of them aren't even descended from the English to begin with?
>>
>>85480125
I'm a different poster and I'm not even English
>>
>>85480047
>I think its due to the fact that they mostly consume American media

I worry about this with Australia. Unlike England, we don't really produce much of our own media here anymore and everyone grows up watching American TV. That coupled with the internet is going to erode our culture over time. I can see it in people slightly younger than me who were raised after American TV took over. It's nothing major yet, but it's definitely something I worry about.
>>
>>85479979
Nah dude, it's as different as say Scottish and Irish, or Wales and Chicago.

>>85480047
100% If a location has had internet access for a generation and a half at least you'll get people with nice clean neutral accents, lots of Canadians just do vowels different, which shows a more recent britbong influence, or all the teachers were on crazy pills, I dunno, I'm not a fucking linguist.
>>
>>85480171
Not even English people can understand northerners
>>
>>85480272
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHUVgLhq8Jg
I always get a laugh from this, they literally had to put in subtitles for them
>>
>>85480217
Culture change and degradation is happening all over, especially in America. While other countries are being effected by our media, our own country is being effected by immigrants and people complaining that we need change.
>>
>>85480217
Government isn't helping the issue mate. Anything related to the film and the arts that gets the big funding is always some Abo shit. Nobody gives a fuck about that so they watch Family fucking feud, the project, or the latest episode from the white guilt network. Shits fucked.
>>
>>85480217
Better hop off the American media train because we are on the verge of full cultural collapse at this point
>>
How are the English accents of
>Kevin Pietersen
>Andrew Strauss
>Matt Prior
>Ian Trott
>>
This thread is pretty discouraging to someone who's not a native English speaker. I'm just glad that I'm able to speak it at least somewhat competently. I'd like to be able to attain complete fluency one day but I doubt that will ever happen unless I move to an English speaking country which I can't see happening.
>>
>>85480392
two are South African so that's a problem right there
>>
File: IMG_3437.jpg (85KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3437.jpg
85KB, 800x480px
IS CALLED A FUCKIN DAIRY!!! NOT A CORNER STORE YOU POMMY FUCKS!!!!
>>
>>85480417
Why, because you think people won't understand you? With how widely English is spoken, people have gotten used to hearing foreigners mangle their way through a sentence.
>>
>>85480217

At least we're not consuming British (((media))).

>we wuz romans: rewriting history
>naked attraction
>whites are literally hitler and kinda are responsible for basically everything bad every
>muslims are progressive and not violent at all
>>
>>85480417
shut up paki
>>
>>85480417
Most people don't really care if you can speak it well enough to get the point across. Just don't be Raj on a service call telling me your name is John. We both know you're not John.
>>
>>85480427
it's called a paki shop m8
>>
>>85480417
Don't worry about it. English is not hard to piece together when someone is trying to speak it. Like the other anon said, everyone is used to hearing English with a variety of accents. English isn't one of those languages where you say something slightly off and suddenly it's a wildly different word and concept.
>>
Even as an Aussie, dudes with an obvious Aussie accent really tickle my pickle. Sometimes I find myself deliberately exaggerating my accent slightly because I like how it sounds.
>>
>>85480456
Are you seriously going to try and claim that British media is even anywhere near as fucked up as American media in that regard? America invented all this bullshit and they push it across the world through their media, half their TV shows literally feature cÕ½ckoldry as a major plot point
>>
>>85480505
Youre telling me, I worked down south for a few years and I refuse to slow down my talking.
http://youtu.be/fk_BZGJpmBg
>>
>>85480365
yeah it's fucking shit

we used to have some great TV back in the day, but now it's all reality shit. Even ABC and SBS have gone down the shitter. The last Australian shows I remember enjoying would have been Danger 5 and The Hollowmen.

my uncle works in the film industry and says that it's beyond recovery now. He says it's only really active in Sydney, and even then it's struggling. It's a shame since we produce a lot of quality actors and directors, but they all run off to America now.

>>85480505
>I'm Australian
>"dudes"
not fooling anyone seppo
>>
>>85480532
what the fuck does down south even correspond to
>>
>>85478027
Leiv Schreiber did an Aussie film with a surprisingly good accent. Cant remember the name of it though
>>
File: 1500094330953.jpg (75KB, 440x660px) Image search: [Google]
1500094330953.jpg
75KB, 440x660px
>>85480535
Danger 5 was the tits, now im sad
>>
File: 1476317034552.jpg (22KB, 480x307px) Image search: [Google]
1476317034552.jpg
22KB, 480x307px
>be australian
>can't take any character who speaks with an aussie accent seriously

am i the only one
>>
>>85480535
>>"dudes"
That word is in the lexicon of literally every english-speaking country
>>
>>85478002

McNulty was doing a bad generic east coast accent when he should have been speaking in that retarded Balmer accent
>>
>>85480581
only america
>>
>>85480569
I'd like him so much more if he wasn't constantly talking out of the side of his mouth, like Pacino when his jaw was broken.
>>
>>85480575
it's fucking jarring every time I hear an Australian accent show up in any kind of media, even though I don't think twice about it when I hear it in real life. I'm so used to hearing Americans and English in shit that I get surprised whenever someone talks like me
>>
>>85480552
Hokitika, they speak like commentators down there.
>>
>>85480443
>>85480461
>>85480479
>>85480502
I'm not a paki or something close to that. I'm German and most people seem to loathe our accent. Although I'm able to speak it somewhat competently compared to my fellow countrymen e.g. I can actually pronounce the two th sounds as well as v/w/f. My Irish English teacher back in school was actually impressed by my ability to sound quite good in that regard. However, overall it still sounds like shit to my ears.
>>
>>85480575
>>85480532
Thread theme

>>85480603
Considering the entire western word gets like 90% of its entertainment from the yankeedoodles, they've kind of had an influence
>>
>>85480634
doesn't mean that everyone on the street says dude

you literally must have never gone outside if you think ANYONE says that here
>>
>>85480581
>>85480603
This is honestly a good example of Americanisation in aus. Colloquial shit like "dude", not to mention spelling. A lot of people have started to accept "color" replacing "ise" with "ize" etc
>>
>>85480575
I can't either. I used to play games with Aussies all the time and they were just bants and hilarity. We used to roast each others countries constantly and do really poor imitations of each other's accents. My favorite part was the one guy doing a really bad American accent and pretending to order from a McDonald's drive thru. "Uh yes I'd like 3 Hamburgers and uhhhh double...fries". And that's how Double Fries Friday was born.
>>
>>85480623
>most people seem to loathe our accent
eh. Personally I find it a bit funny, if anything. There are much, much worse accents
>>
>>85480623

Germans do seem to hold their accent tighter than other Europeans for some reason. I used to work with a guy who'd been here 30 years, and he still sounded like an extra on Hogan's Heroes.
>>
>>85480670
>A lot of people have started to accept "color" replacing "ise" with "ize" etc
I think that comes down to spell check mostly

Chrome is always telling me I'm spelling words wrong when I write gaol, armour, specialise etc
>>
>>85480171
Test Match Special is why I'm the only one in my group of friends who could tell the Saffer at work wasn't an Aussie.

>>85480272
And yet Michael Parkinson was the biggest chat show host in the country. Funny how that works.
>>
>>85480634
Forgot to post the cunt of a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmL72sgVdAQ&ab_channel=MichaelCusack

>>85480616
What about the odd occasion we're actually mentioned, or even the setting? Gives me that comfy feeling
>>
>>85480392
>Ian Trott
But good post otherwise.
>>
>>85478002
They just sound very generic. But when they try to do regional accents, it sounds weird as hell.
>>
>>85479963
Most get asked if theyre British tbqh senpai
>>
>>85480417
fuck off we're full
>>
>>85480672
I reckon I can do better.
OI LISTEN YA BLACK CUNT!!! GIVE US YA FUCKIN CHIPS MATE OR ILL RAM ME CAR THREW YA FUCKIN SHOP CUNT!!!!
>>
>>85478002
I can't tell because I have bad hearing
>>
>>85480806
I literally had someone ask me where I was from, followed up with "I know you're not Australian"
>>
>>85480657
>doesn't mean that everyone on the street says dude
>therefore nobody says it
It's true that few refer to/greet one another as one would use the word "mate", but I've heard it be used interchangeably with "guys", "blokes" etc

>>85480717
I swear "gaol" is the only one of these words that will always look wrong to me.
>>
>>85480845
"dude" is only said by shut in neets that spend all day playing video games with americans

you'll literally never hear anyone else say it
>>
>>85480820
Is that an Aussie doing an American accent? Because top tier.
>>
>>85480868
I mean, you could try speaking for yourself and your own experiences like I've been doing, but making passive-aggressive baseless assumptions works too I guess
>>
>>85478002
Most do fine if they're just doing Generic American, it's guttural and uses the back of the throat so that pretty much kills any inflection from their native accents. It's when they try to get creative and do a specialized East Coast or Southern accent that you can really tell because they are generally higher pitched and more nasally.

Aiden in The Wire was abysmal. Dominic is obvious but not as bad. Idris is really fucking obvious but nobody pays attention because american blacks can't speak properly to begin with.
>>
>>85478002
Aiden Gillen sucks at accents and at acting in general and it's a wonder he's been as successful as he has. He must be a nice, agreeable guy to work with or been in the right place at the right time at the start of his career or something.
>>
>>85479667

just finished watching most of SoA (i cba to watch the last couple episodes because it goes to shit so hard)

Charlie Hunnam uses a technique that a lot of foreign actors do, which is he raises his voice all the time to cover his accent. I know a lot of people from the Southwest/West Coast and he obviously sounds nothing like them. I understand they try to make it part of his character that he's a "hothead" but his constant yelling really breaks immersion sometimes. I feel like his accent got worse as the series went on.
>>
I wonder how well Americans for example understand german accents to begin with.
>>
>>85479003
>I was born and raised in Boston
I was, and I can tell you that I've never heard an actor from outside of New England do a convincing Boston accent, British or otherwise. Cumberbatch does a horrible rendition of it in Black Mass.
>>
>>85478002
very often, yes.

especially when one tries to speak in a southern accent.
>>
>>85480417
fluency and having a thick accent aren't mutually exclusive
>>
>>85482812
What do you mean? Like, being able to tell if someone whose native tongue is German is German by the way they speak English?
>>
File: 1484356029468.png (238KB, 502x500px) Image search: [Google]
1484356029468.png
238KB, 502x500px
I can never really notice, I'm always surprised when I look the actor up and hes not from America.

>Idris Elba
>Dominic West
>Andrew Lincoln
>Christian Bale
>Matthew Rhys
>Gillian Anderson
>>
>>85480047
nah we have regional accents. Anyone living East of Quebec will generally sound different than the rest of Canada and the US.
>>
>>85483313
>Andrew Lincoln
I'd never seen him in anything prior to TWD and could tell immediately he wasn't a Yank. His southern drawl is pretty atrocious at time.
>>
>>85478002
I watched so much House that Hugh Laurie in his native accent always fucks with my head even though I already fucking know he's english. Then I feel dumb.
>>
>>85478168
Gary Oldman is fucking British???
>>
>>85483595
Most Americans cant even do the southern drawl, I just assumed it was him hamming the shit up.
>>
>>85478002
Aidan in TDKR has a pretty blatant fake American accent.
>>
>>85478002
Not unless it's really bad or obvious. We have so many weird accents in this country people who "tawk funneh" that you can usually just rob it off enough.
Usually you can hear the accent break when they try to yell or over-emote.
Black Hawk down is a smorgasbord of bad fake american accents by english, aussie, and NZ actors.
>>
>>85483655
Well you weren't wrong about him hamming the shit up.
>>
>>85483720

Any Irishbros want to clear something up for me? If AG is Irish, then what the fuck was that accent he was doing in Calvary?
>>
>>85478946
>>85478969
>>85478991
wow
>>
>>85483982
A fucking atrocious imitation of the regional accent out where the movie was filmed on the west coast.
>>
>>85478002
Depends on the accent. No one in the fucking world can pull off a southern US accent. It's always fucking shit and they always seem so proud of their portrayal.

Where in the south are they getting these fucking accents from? I've never heard anyone talk like that.
>>
>>85483982
He's not a good actor. He's a big retarded meme for you around here but no one thinks he has a lick of fucking talent.
>>
>>85484577

Ah I thought it might be that. I'm scottish and you get a similar effect when middle class Scots try to play working class Scots.
>>
>>85478443
You sound like a massive faggot. Just because you fought for "muh freedoms" doesn't mean you deserve to get your dick sucked constantly
>>
I'm an aussie, and I try to change my accent every time when I'm out on the piss and between the loud music and everyone Drunk, I can usually pull off a saffa or Yorkshire accent off alright.
Recently branched into Dutch, but that was a special situation with a Finn in a gay bar.
The strippers like the Yorkshire though, you just keep saying "cutlery" over and over again until you get the accent right.
As for saffa it's just bending some vowels.
I attempted irish at one point but then I ran into an actual irishman
>>
>>85485292
>I'm an aussie
Fuck off
>>
>>85478443
>what the fuck did you just say about me you little bitch
>>
>>85484663
deep in the swamps of louisiana
>>
>>85480575
as an american the only accent that i can't take seriously is new zealand. kiwis just sound so... gay and fruity. when i hear them speak i think of fairies
>>
>>85478002
Dominic West had a terrible accent in the Wire. Same with Idris Elba honestly, Aiden did a good job compared to them oh and the main actor in the walking dead is super obvious too. Generally speaking we dont notice it because we arent very cultured that combined with TV/Movies being entertainment I think people expect characters to sound more embellished than real people so for the most part we dont notice too much.
>>
>>85487850
>Aiden did a good job
t.for you
>>
>>85478027
Matthew Goode in Burning Man was pretty close
>>
Something I've noticed is that in The Walking Dead, all the American actors just do normal accents with a slight southern twang (how actual southerners talk) while the britbongs go full on Deep South retard speak
Thread posts: 204
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.