[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>It's a war film, it's about the visuals and the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: dunkirk-valerian-2.jpg (67KB, 446x299px) Image search: [Google]
dunkirk-valerian-2.jpg
67KB, 446x299px
>It's a war film, it's about the visuals and the experience, the plot and characters don't matter!

>It's a sci-fi flick, just because it looks pretty and has great visuals doesn't give it a pass if it has boring characters and a lousy plot

What the literal fuck kind of double standard are we running here??

>pro tip
>neither are worth spending money on
>>
>>85423599
>watching a war film for visuals and experience
Where are you getting this idea from?
>>
>>85423599
Thing is, Dunkirk is a great fim, has a compelling story, and the "lack of charicters" is just that we don't know there names or background, but all the main cast you can define them by their merits and weaknesses.

There is not a bad acting job in it.

valerian is a decent enough movie but the two leads blow and have zero working chemistry so the entire movie fails.

Trying to be contrarian isn't that fun when you doing it for dumb reasons.
>>
>>85423599
I thought the sound design was amazing in Dunkirk. Haven't seen vaginaterian.
>>
>>85423599
Imagine you have a tank and a race car. Now imagine that they are both pretty slow. Does that automatically make the tank as bad as the race car? Where you fuck up is that you are missing their intentions. The war film intends to capture war visually at PG-13. You see a war doesn't revolve around one or two characters. In most wars, even minus a general or two the outcome would be the same. That one medal of honor recipient? Yeah he saved his unit, but even his unit wouldn't have made a difference. No, people usually don't come up with quippy or emotional lines like screenwriters plan. And so the war film attempts to capture the resilience amidst the chaos in defeat not by what a couple people say and how they are changed by the setting and what they do but by simply portraying it as a whole, air, land and sea. Meanwhile in the sci-fi flick there are two characters exclusively focused on, and if they are gone the entire premise of the film is lost, because they have a critical role. Dunkirk intends not to focus on its plot and characters, especially since we already know the plot. Valerian on the other hand does, and by doing so fails itself.
>>
>>85423643
It's just the response I get when I say the film was boring
>>
>>85423816
But who has ever given a shit about sound design?
>>
>>85423599
Scifi as a medium only exists for the plot and the insight it can give to humanity.

A war film validates it existence by just being true to history, character don't need depth because war itself gives depth.
>>
>>85423599
The difference is that one of these movies has the name of the fucking protagonist in its title and the other is about a historical event. You can't be this dull.

Also, Dunkirk (at least in 70MM IMAX) is a visceral fucking experience. Valerian looks like a stretched out VR demo with shitty filler "characters" that's desperately trying to recreate Besson's success with The 5th Element.
>>
>>85423763
Thank you for making a post that makes so much sense anon. Genuinely felt good to read this and know that there's non-retarded people making posts too.
>>
>>85424227
film is an audio visual medium, go stare at paintings if you don't care about sound design
>>
>>85423763
>Reddit spacing

everytime
>>
>>85425082
Audio hardly makes a movie though. I go for the story and to try and live through the characters experiences.
>>
>>85425247
I bet you find YIFY rips acceptable quality
>>
>>85425262
I'm not sure. Don't know what yify is
>>
>>85425262
they are tho
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.