[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You can practically see it from here.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 44

You can practically see it from here.
>>
Nolan did it again

*clap*
>>
What?
>>
>>85385215
"See what?"
"Shitty dialogue..."
>>
Practically smell it more like

BOOM BOOM
>>
"home"

TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK
>>
File: gottem.png (141KB, 511x169px) Image search: [Google]
gottem.png
141KB, 511x169px
...Dunkirk...
>>
>you ca- mumblemumblemuble-m here
>>
>Ameribraps unable to understand an English movie's dialogue
>>
>>85385215
>Once more unto the beach dear friends, once more
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>85385215

>"At last we are finally Dunkirk"
>>
>400,000 men
>about 1k on a bridge and 100 or so on the beach
>maybe about 10 died on the actual beach
>but but muh airstrikes are killing all le men
>>
>>85385689
>dunkirk is one small beach a kilometre lon
>>
>We did it sir! We got off the beach!
>Nope. We're not done, Kirk.

B R A V O L A N
>>
Bane
>>
>>85385725
yea because when the plane flew over or you saw the 2 gay boys wandering around you saw all the other men. oh wait they literally hired 200 people and then tried to tell us its 400,00. then when the planes made one half decent attack the pomms just got thrown round a bit instead of turning to a red mist
>>
>>85385510
Home...
>>
>>85385844
I'm just going to assume you're being intentionally stupid and leave it at that
>>
THEY'RE SHOOTING AT US!
>>
>>85385904
you saw fuck all people, they could've at least CGI'd more people and more civilian boats and actually made it feel like there were more than 500 people waiting to be picked up
>>
>>85385914
WHERE IS THE BOAT
>>
were the Germans really in the wrong here?
>>
File: 1491587093976.png (234KB, 545x530px) Image search: [Google]
1491587093976.png
234KB, 545x530px
>...and your OTHER boat
>>
>>85386064
The germans are always in the wrong, being german is enough
>>
Saw it today in the cinema. In fucking IMAX and even that didnt save it.
What a trash film. Nolan is a garbage director and he seems to be getting worse with every new film, im serious..
He is at best good for adding some teen pseudo philosophy into capeshit. Anything beyond that he cant seem to handle.
Ins unbelievable someone like him is getting so much money to work with.

I wish Thin Red Line was showing, Id go see that again instead.
>>
>>85386134
this...fucking krauts, man.
>>
>>85386150
Good to see the pleb filter is working
>>
>>85386064
Yes, no amount of edgy contrarianism will change that
>>
>says it twice

fucks sake nolan
>>
>>85386064
Yes because they didn't send in the panzers and finish the job
>>
>>85386150
While I totally agree Thin Red Line is way, way better, Dunkirk was clearly at least influenced by it and was trying to do something different with the temporal shifting. Does it totally work? No, but it was a good effort.

I enjoyed it quite a lot. Is it the masterpiece people are trying to paint it as? Probably not, but its still worth seeing in IMAX
>>
>you can practically see home from here
>home?
>yes, home

bravo noland
>>
>>85386386
Well, I completely disagree. I dont think Its worth spending money on at all. This movie should not have been made. As far as im concerned it fails on all fronts and only passes as so so because it had 150 million dollar budget.
The first scenes in The Thin Red Line, when the guys are on the islands with the natives are already better than the entirety of Dunkirk.

I should have watched this movie like i watch most awful boockbusters and capeshit, on the first bearable camrip.
>>
File: IMG_0946.jpg (139KB, 820x1006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0946.jpg
139KB, 820x1006px
>>85386320
^
>>
File: 6274035.png (126KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
6274035.png
126KB, 500x572px
>>85385862
At least it was before I fucked everything up.
>>
>>85386492
>so anon, what did you think of the movie?
>"it's trash"
>why?
>"it fails on all fronts"

Ah yes that was worth reading
>>
File: nolan.jpg (1MB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
nolan.jpg
1MB, 1600x800px
>>85385215
Reminder that Nolan didn't give into the kikes and SJWs and didn't force diversity or portray Nazis as evil.

Reminder that Nolan is officially /ourguy/ when it comes to (((Hollywood))) movies.
>>
>>85386243
Yeah a few "epic" lines in the film were all repeated once or twice, it was really strange.
>>
>>85386709
"The tone was all over the place", "bad pacing", "weird color grading"
>>
>>85386795
The tone was all over the place? Did I miss the comedic parts? The melodrama? What do you mean by this?

I felt the movie managed to keep up the tension for the grand majority of its runtime, if that's what you meant by the pacing. I can imagine some people would have wanted a dive into backstories and such but I didn't feel that.

No comment on the colour.
>>
>>85386710
Kek
>>
WHERE'S THE FUCKING AIRFORCE?!?
>>
File: 1478122174447.png (78KB, 412x351px) Image search: [Google]
1478122174447.png
78KB, 412x351px
>ywn pilot a spitfire
>>
>>85385215
How many times does Ken Branagh have to be in WWII?
>>
>>85387331
>ywn be stuck in a rickety piece of shit death trap thousands of feet above the ocean
i'm okay with it desu
>>
HE IS ON ME
>>
>>85386795
it had none of these
>>
>>85387352
twice?
>>
>>85385215
>You can practically see it from here
>See what?
>the sound guy trying to keep his shit together
>>
What did he said when he saw boats incoming? I don't remember but i cringe at this in cinema
>>
>>85387509
He didn't say anything he just looked a little teary eyed.
>>
>>85387509
He got teary eyed then said, "Home....home came to us..."
>>
>>85387524
I don't thing so, before tears he say something, other guy ask him what it is, and he said some stupid word.
>>
>>85387352
Wasn't the only other one when he played the German that organized the Holocaust?
>>
File: images (28).jpg (25KB, 390x377px) Image search: [Google]
images (28).jpg
25KB, 390x377px
>>85386112
EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
>>
>>85385215
Fucking le reddit level faggots reviewing this movie as bad since
>muh lack of character connections
>muh character stories
>b-buh buh i couldnt feel a connection

Fucking worst trash tier plebs of the world. Makes my blood boiil.

I have never had a rivaling movie experience, and I will forever treasure it. Might go see it again this weekend.
>>
>>85387595
Yeah he was looking at the sea and the other officer handed him the binoculars and asked what's going on or something and he said it's the small vessel fleet or something. boats requisitioned by the crown.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ships_of_Dunkirk
>>
>movie out for four days
>literally no good memes
>>
This movie completely pissed off

>SJW
>Feminists
>Black People
>The French

Is Christopher Nolan /our guy/?
>>
>>85387725
Movie is too good to make shitty memes from m8
>>
Why didn't the Germans send all their U boats? Where else in the world would they be needed during this phase of the war?
>>
Maybe i'm a pussy, but i cried when they show paper with note about that boy who died on a boat.
>>
File: unnamed (1).jpg (41KB, 528x278px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).jpg
41KB, 528x278px
>>85387725
PLANE?
>>
>>85387570
>>85387682

thing about Nolan that he is trusting his audience enough to understand the story and character motivations without explaining much.

then he emphasizes the stupidest things that he has to tell it like explaining to a 5 years old.
>>
>>85386795
>>85387125
It was a
>things pseuds says
They should of just made that PTSD soldier guy sitting on the sunken ship a German.

>old man takes pity and brings him aboard
>everyone is like wtf
>old man rescues the ~15 guys soaked in oil
>german guy is just sitting in the middle of everyone, uncomfortable
>>
STUPID FRENCH COWARD FROG

YOU SHOULD BE OUT THERE FIGHTING TO YOUR DEATH WHILE WE ESCAPE TO BRITANNIA

hmm
>>
>>85388010
You could see from the buttons he was not german. And the old man saw it too, that's why he didn't bother him more when he was a total mute at the start.
I feel like making him german would've been a fun gag, but it wouldn't have allowed for the most important emotional character arc in the movie.
>>
>>85385215
>''Im just about DUN with DUNkirk''
>winks at the camera
Maybe the worst part of the film
>>
>>85388010
>They should of

Fucking retard learn English
>>
The Blu-Ray sales..
>>
>>85388191
?
>>
>>85388173
whatever nigga I could care less about my grammer
>>
>>85388215
If I were a pleb who owned a physical media device or some sort of home threatre I would definitely get this movie despite already seeing it in a theatre. I watched it in one with amazing dolby atmos audio and it was the best sounding movie I've ever seen.
>>
>>85387725
That's because like 10% of this board actually goes to cinema to watch a movie, the rest is wating for cams or bluray release
>>
>>85388233
Remain a disgusting fucking pleb then.

Don't expect most people to read the rest of your posts if you start with such jarring mistakes that make you look like a ten year old southern state farmer
>>
>>85388191
Kid, it will bank a profit. No worries.
>>
>is that a problem?
>No, I'm done, Kirk!

a strange tale of hubris right at the beginning
>>
>>85386709
OK faggot.
>abysmal choice of theme.
Who the hell cares about dunkirik?
What was the idea behind making a movie about this event? to show Hitler's good side?
>uninteresting presentation.
I didnt feel the achronological order served anything or was interesting in any way.
The only thing it did for me was bore me, as it showed the same events over and over again.
It almost felt like A lot of the footage was bad so they simply used the footage they had of a few scenes.
The specific chosen events were also boring to me and there was no feeling of the dunkirk event being grandiose despite the fact hundreds of thousands of people were involved.
The only times i felt engaged were during the shots of the planes flying normally in the sky and the beginning when the guy is trying to get to the beach.
>No interesting character exploration.
Some things were even right down absurd, like when hero Bane shot down the fighter/bomber as he was gliding towards the beach at the end.

This movie was like a really expensive documentary but without the interesting commentary or the bigger picture, but again, who the hell cares about dunkirk...
>>
>>85388521
Do you actually think these are valid points a non retarded person would make? Ask me how I know you're American
>>
>>85386710
I saw black French soldiers, Stukas divebombing evacuating soldiers, and civilian ships being sunk.

Sorry wehraboo!
>>
>>85388521
kekk

>abysmal choice of theme.
Waaaahhhh someone made a movie of a topic i didnt personalllyyy likkkeeee wahhhhh this makesss hitlerr loook goooddd wahhh muh 6 millionnnn

>uninteresting presentation.
just kek, im starting to think this post was just bait

>No interesting character exploration
wahhh i need to have interesting CHARACHTER DEVELOPMENT ARCS to connect to an experience because my autism wont allow me to comprehend otherwise

this is literally you
>>
>>85388682
the irony is that the movie did have very distinct character development arcs, but this burger was too stupid to understand them.
>>
>>85387682
You must be 15 year old. In that case I can understand your excitement, otherwise dont pretend there is anything exceptional about this film or Nolan's direction of it.
As far as War movies are concerned Saving private ryan did a much better job with action and eliciting those slushy cringy tears from the viewer with fairytale like bouts of patriotism or corniness. Id say nobody can do those as good as spielberg.
Th Thin Red Line was much better in terms of visuals and actually had something to say about the human condition beyond the twitter/facebook tier bullshit of "survival is cruel shit".
Not to say that only these two are better than Dunkirk, many other war movies are.
>>
No more dead Brits!
>>
>>85386710
>portray Nazis as evil.
That's because everyone already knows the nazis were evil bureaucratic slime. No reason to lump the entire Heer in with them.
>>
>>85388727
I know right. Three different distinct character arcs to correspond with the three branches of military, and three time frames of them,
>>
>>85388670
Black French soldiers were a thing in WW2.

Germans still had to fight back it's war. You have to follow orders in war and Hitler tried to make peace with the UK. He didn't want to fight with them.

You can thank (((Churchill))) for that.
>>
>>85387725
how do you make memes without screen caps
>>
>>85387602
He was in Valkyrie too
>>
>>85388580
Yeah, these are definitely valid points imo.
I criticized the major parts of the production, like the chosen theme about which to make a movie, the editing choices, the character usage and the overall portrayal of the event by the writers/director/cinematic director.
As usual, Nolan chooses to artistically focus on technicalities, in this case historicity of the events he showed and their details, which is why i called it a documentary.
The problem is that despite the fact i love historical documentaries i dont think one about Dunkirk is interesting or worth having 150 million dollars invested to make it.
>>
File: Armond.png (547KB, 756x510px) Image search: [Google]
Armond.png
547KB, 756x510px
Pic related DROPPED it
>>
>>85389044
And no, there was no character "progression" or arcs. They were treated much like documentaries treat their characters. I find this use of characters in this movie and the chosen design of the movie to be unexplainable and uninspired.
Why have an achronological order to events? At least in Memento it served a purpose.
>>
>>85388320
holy reddit
>>
>>85388755
M8, im 27 and i appreciated the differences this movie took compared to others. Saving private ryan was good at the start and turned into a shitfest in the end(while still good).

Dunkirk was like the beach landing scene of Saving pvt ryan throughout the whole movie. It didn't need to spell everything out for you.

Been to many years since I last watched thin red line, i need to rewatch to compare that one.

I love war movies, im a sucker for history and war stories, and Dunkirk made me feel stressed anxious and kept me from holding my breath like no movie has before.
>>
>>85389210
ahaha
>>
>>85389136
His review was pretty shitty, he wanted the film to be old-fashioned schmaltz.
>>
File: nintchdbpict000100569329.jpg (55KB, 745x959px) Image search: [Google]
nintchdbpict000100569329.jpg
55KB, 745x959px
Leave the English channel to me
>>
>>85389044
>dont think one about Dunkirk is interesting or worth having 150 million dollars invested to make it.

Kek, please never give investment advice to anyone. This shit will cross half a billion in revenues.

Also wtf is this bullshit attitude about this battle not being worthy of a film? Cause it was a crushing military defeat? I guess you only enjoy Disney movie endings, or you can only appreciate victories of "my team"
>>
I genuinely feel sorry for everyone who will watch it on their Toshiba laptops when the rip is out. Just can't imagine someone experiencing the same thing when that first Stuka beach attack comes in if you watch it on your computer.
That first shot when the brit is drinking water visibly startled the entire theatre where I was, every single shot in the film had weight to it. Undoubtedly one of the best cinema experiences of recent times.
>>
How the fuck did they manage to make gunfire sound so real?

Like I've watched a shit-ton of war films but the gunfire never sounded as good as Dunkirk
>>
>>85389618
People didn't watch it 70mm Imax (non 3d) D-Box ?

jesus christ, get it together.
>>
i was surprised by the overall lack of gore. it didn't need it, but i expected a bit more strafing. hardy was based. the madman nolan fucking baneposted in this movie too.
>>
>>85389136
You realise that means he liked it? Are you new to Armond?
>>
>>85389618
I rarely go to cinema, but went to see this in IMAX purely due to the prequel they showed at star wars rogue one. When they played it i was kind of pissed that I had to watch star wars instead and wait 5more months for Dunkirk.

It was such an experience in imax that im considering going again this weekend. Maybe blaze a bit before and shit my pants during the film.
>>
>>85387682

I got goosebumps during the plane scenes. They were fucking exhilarating
>>
>>85389618
Im gonna watch it from 4k HDR bluray on my 65 inch tv with wide color gamut, and 5.1 surround system
>>
>>85385439
the constant ticking in the background made the whole thing so fucking tense, think i held my breath the entire time because of it
>>
Fucking edgelord contrarians on here shit talking Nolan
>>
File: thefirerises.jpg (285KB, 1125x1252px) Image search: [Google]
thefirerises.jpg
285KB, 1125x1252px
>>85387842
yes. the fire rises.
>>
>>85389896
I dont consider myself a big Nolan fan, i did think memento was masterful and most his movies are very good. But Dunkirk was a near religious movie experience for me.
>>
So basically people hate it because it wasn't a bog-standard run-of-the-mill heroic war film?
>>
>>85390013
This desu. I cringe every time i see comments or reviews trying that character/connection/story angle. It just shows how asspie they are.
>>
>>85390000
i don't usually get emotional during movies, but the way the men on the beach cheered when the little boats arrived gave me some feels. excellent build up to that scene.
>>
>>85390013

Pretty much. The people disappointed by it were the people wanting another Saving Private Ryan film
>>
>>85390124
Funny thing is dunkirk was like the best scene in saving private ryan, but the whole movie like that. Without tom hanks taking down tanks with pistols and edgy Spielberg spiel.
>>
>>85389210
>there was no character "progression" or arcs.
What about Rylance's son cominh to understand what stoicism is? Styles coming to understand that there is something to praise in a succesful retreat? Hardy coming to understand personal sacrifice for a greater good? Also Nolan has said consistently that he wanted minimal character details to emphasise the situation these people were in.

>Why have an achronological order to events?
Because you would otherwise have Tom Hardy sitting in an airbase somewhere sipping tea and wanking off to pictures of dear old Marge. If you payed any attention you would know that the air narrative takes place in one hour, the sea narrative in one day and the land narrative in one week, how else would you do it? It was all literally explained to you with on screen text.
>>
WWII vet who saw the film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP2WzX9ZzqE

brought back some terrifying memories.
>>
>Tom Hardy crashes a plane and then sets it on fire

Coincidence?
>>
>>85390213
Quality post
>>
>>85389136
approved critic... no propaganda here goy, move on
>>
>>85389618
The sound was probably the best aspect of this movie. The Stukas were terrifying, the bullets and bombs loud as all hell.

They dropped the ball with visuals though I found. By this I mean each fighter that got shot had the same machine mounted to the right side of the plane to spew smoke after it had been 'hit'. There was a bunch of guys on the beach, but nowhere near 400,000. The guys killed by stukas had no injuries, nor where there bombs craters on the beach. There was maybe a dozen civilian ships. I read an article where Nolan loves Tom for his 'expressive eyes', yet you hardly see his eyes after his first scene.

It was an alright movie overall.
>>
>>85390013
Yup, every single negative review is basically "WHERE'S THE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT?! WHY AREN'T THE SOLDIERS MORE LIKEABLE?! I WANTED STANDARD SCHMALTZ REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" Even Armond White's review is guilty of this bullshit. Dunkirk is the pleb filter of the year.
>>
>WWII got us some of the best movies ever mad

What kind of movies will we get after an inevitable WWIII?
>>
>people actually calling Dunkirk boring

Were we watching a different film?
I was on the edge of my seat the entire time
>>
>>85390013
Hated it? So many shills here fooling people into paying money to see it...
I watched it in IMAX today because of /tv/ shilling and as usual, it was huge mistake.
Just watch The Thin Red Line, it is much much better and in every way possible.
This film didnt really have any "fighting" besides a bit plane on plane action and a bit of ship bombing.
The rest was about watching plot armor cardboard heroes avoiding death and being scared.
Nolan really fits the contemporary "muh science" and "muh historical accuracy" autism. If you want historical accuracy go read history books or watch documentaries.
This movie had nothing to say and was in no way visually spectacular if you consider how much money it cost.

The Thin Red Line is so much better looking and with a fraction of the budget.
And no, the really loud diving sounds of the stukas didnt frighten me, only made me annoyed at how loud it was in the theater. What esle? Oh yeah the c grade horror movie jumpscares, yes truly revolutionary stuff.
>>
>>85390371
They need quips and constant explosions to be interested.

Discard everyone who found it boring.
>>
>>85388830
What were the arcs you're talking about? Off the top of my head I'm thinking of the blonde kid on the nose but that's it. (Not trying to shit on anyone btw, actually feel like discussing this movie because I enjoyed it)
>>
I don't know if it was the sugar from the softdrink, but I was in a constant heart attack for the middle of the film.

Hardy had this unchanging worried look the whole time.

The ending with him landing looked CGI

Did pilots not get issued pistols?
>>
>>85390379
>in no way visually spectacular
You can't be serious, the practically done destruction was astonishing.
>>
File: 1496207996244.jpg (339KB, 1280x685px) Image search: [Google]
1496207996244.jpg
339KB, 1280x685px
>>85389136
>pales in comparison to 2012's Red Tails

What did Armond mean by this?
>>
I liked the length of the movie too. It didn't plod on for too long. While I wouldn't say I was greatly affected by the movie, it was an enjoyable endeavour for sure.
>>
>>85390000
Yeah it was something else
>>
>>85390311
This is a far criticism since the movie had NOTHING else going for it on any other front.
This shit cost 150 million dollars to make. Oh yeah, they restored real planes and used real boats, great...
Its fucking reddit tier autism, demanding a film to focus on historicity.
It was literally a 150 dollar documentary but with less background information or interesting narration.

and no, saving private ryan was not good in any sense other than the gutteral feelings it evoked through its intense action scenes.
Its spielbergian corniness was nauseating which is why he is better off doing sci fi and fairytales.

The much better example is the Thin Red Line which surpasses Dunkirk in every sense and was done with a fraction of the budget.
>>
>>85389924
>Last shot of big guy is him being captured and getting a bag placed over his head
>Big guy first appears in TDKR captured and with a bag on his head

POTTERY
>>
>>85390515
I wonder how many more drowning sequences Nolan had to cut to get it to a watchable length.
>>
>>85390379
>plot armor cardboard heroes
In other words
>WHERE'S MUH CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT?!
I love how all of the complaints about Dunkirk are exactly the same.
>>
Why does everyone keep bringing up the thin red line? Are they similar movies?
>>
>>85390636
>everyone

Its one assblasted burger shitting up all the dunkirk threads
>>
File: yLZkDjs.jpg (15KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
yLZkDjs.jpg
15KB, 720x404px
>>85385914
>>
File: laughing.jpg (19KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
19KB, 413x395px
>>85390560
>flawless special effects
>flawless sound design
>a great score that made the whole film feel extremely tense
>"NOTHING else going for it on any other front."
>>
>>85390560
what's corny about SPR?
>>
>>85390480
Who cares if its practically done you technical autismo.
they did practical effects because there was no other way. Paying out the ass to have a "real ship" these days is a waste of money.
Practical effects mastubation is literally /tv/s version of Reddit's Le science.
This is not what is important in films. Despite the fact CGI objects can seem hyper real at times the difference is not so noticeable to justify blowing most of your budget just to make sure every historical detail about how a ship was constructed and looked is preserved.
Its fucking full spectrum autism.
>>
>>85390430
>Did pilots not get issued pistols?
Not really. Maybe a few did. But it doesn't seem like a common thing.
>>
>>85390636
Thin Red Line is just Malick exploring his own colon for what feels like four hours. Watch it for the cinematography but don't believe the hype.
>>
>>85385368
Reddit
>>
>>85390705
not him but I always rolled my eyes at the HAHA BETTY BOOP :DDD scene
>>
>>85390682
>flawless score.
>inception tier rolling menacing music

fuck you.
>>
File: germany_lel.png (173KB, 1254x1787px) Image search: [Google]
germany_lel.png
173KB, 1254x1787px
>>
>>85390779
Reread my post, I said:
>great score
NOT
>flawless score
Are you illiterate?
>>
>>85388032
Well they were leaving France, the guy was abandoning his homeland and they weren't. I know it's hard to understand human action when you're autistic but at least you sat through the movie so well done
>>
>>85390830
>>
File: NECegsUsrmPpFL_2_b.jpg (37KB, 600x316px) Image search: [Google]
NECegsUsrmPpFL_2_b.jpg
37KB, 600x316px
>>85390291
>You hardly see his eyes after his first scene
He wore a mask the whole movie, literally all you can see of him after his first scene was his eyes
>>
>>85390719
>flawlessly crafted special effects that look 100% real
>"hurr durr who cares! REDDIT! AUTISM! BUZZWORD!"
Wow, what a great argument!
>>
>>85390224
>we can fly to the moon, but we still do stupid things

Jesus Christ! That last speech of his got me teared up. And the way he called his lost friends "buddies"...
>>
>>85390705
>the whole movie revolves about how its paramount to return a son to his family because it has sacrifices two sons already and how this principle is worth the lives of many other soldiers.
The scenes of letters being delivered to families of dead soldiers.
etc etc etc....
Its hard to pin point how Spielberg achieves this, one would need to go over specific scenes and analyze them.
Just watch his movies, its always like that.
In some cases its showing the viewers a few "crowed" characters reacting in an overly dramatic and ridiculous way to something corny and emotional the main character is doing.
Its similar to what you see in movies for kids.
ET and Jurassic park were the perfect movies for him.
>>
>>85387842
Why does he wear the mask?
>>
>>85390560
Why do you keep bringing up The Thin Red Line?
I found Dunkirk way more immersive and engaging than The Thin Red Line. Dunkirk isn't supposed to be poetic or "le deep", it's a film about transporting a fuckload of people from point A to point B under constant danger.
Yes Nolan likes Malick and The Thin Red Line, but he never said he tried to do anything like that here. He screened The Wages of Fear for the entire cast and crew before filming for them to get a sense of what kind of feel he wants portray, and now after watching Dunkirk it makes perfect sense with all the tension ramping up.
>>
>>85390783
>soviets invade poland
>nothing
>nazis invade poland
>war
what did the anglos mean by this?
>>
>>85390990
Now im not saying the scenario is an impossible one, in fact i think in the movie they say its based on true events but the fact he chose to make a film about this specific thing is part of this tendency of his to focus on almost childish features in human and social behavior.

I Liked what another famous director said about spielberg. He gave the example of shindler's list and how when Spielberg does a movie about the holocaust he does it about those jews that did survived.
>>
>>85390339
There's an episode of adventure time (inb4 Reddit) where the main characters that live in a post apocalypse find old, half broken VHS tapes and try making their own movie recreating what they've seen. It results in an incomprehensible mess that pretty much belongs on BotW or MST3K so probably something like that
>>
>>85390636
It's literally one anon who's so butthurt he's writing paragraphs that just show how much of a pleb he is
>>
>>85391082
>it's okay to invade poland because the russians did it too

krauts, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>85390719
>Who cares if its practically done you technical autismo.
I care that it looks real. Over 90% of modern Hollywood blockbusters are hard to get immersed in because they're CGI orgies. The immersion in Dunkirk was incredible since everything looks so real.
>they did practical effects because there was no other way.
And as a result a lot of old films will end up aging better than modern films.
>Paying out the ass to have a "real ship" these days is a waste of money.
So what should the money have gone towards?
>Practical effects mastubation is literally /tv/s version of Reddit's Le science.
Not an argument.
>This is not what is important in films.
It's extremely important for a film that's all about the dread and destruction of war. Nolan wanted the audience to be completely immersed in this shitstorm.
>Despite the fact CGI objects can seem hyper real at times the difference is not so noticeable to justify blowing most of your budget just to make sure every historical detail about how a ship was constructed and looked is preserved.
I repeat, what should the money have gone towards? Why are you so mad that Nolan spent so much money on this film? Hollywood regularly blows hundreds of millions of dollars on blockbusters so I don't get your complaints.
>Its fucking full spectrum autism.
Not an argument.
>>
File: 1427663945336171182.jpg (67KB, 466x505px) Image search: [Google]
1427663945336171182.jpg
67KB, 466x505px
>tfw I've seen it in 2.20:1
i mean it was great (aside from shitty dialogues) but i wasn't really fully immersed
>>
>>85391284
Find an IMAX theater, senpai.
>>
>>85391032
I dont know what you autists are talking about.
Maybe none of you knew what happened at Dunkirk before watching? What tension coud lyou possible have experienced if we all know in advance that most soldiers were safely transported back to england?
I felt no tension, knowing exactly how the film would end and since there was no attempt to have deeply characterized characters(a legitimate choice on its own) I didnt really care if any of them died or not so i dont understand what tension you mean.
I had no idea Nolan liked The Thin Red Line But there despite the fact the characters talk out their thoughts about war, the characters also dont really feel personal and yet there is a lot of substance and things to think about both visually and because of the dialogues and monologues.

In Dunkirk there is nothing to think about.
The only thing that touched any thought worthy topic was the article about the dead kid and how he was called a hero and this was a half baked attempt as well.
>>
>>85385215
See what?
>>
Reminder that GI Joe had a $300 million budget and that movie completely bombed

Why are you complaining about 150 Million for Dunkirk
>>
>>85391306
a closest imax that would screen it in its full resolution would be in london i guess, too far eh
>>
>>85391306
the IMAX I saw it in had a blurry picture I was so disappointed
>>
>Uses minimal dialogue in the film in an attempt to create tension
>Whenever dialogue is used it is extremely unnatural

B R A V O
>>
>>85391418
retreat on back to London to see a recreation of your ""battle""
>>
>>85391220
Yeah I know cgi makes it hard for you to be immersed because you are a walking talking reddit le science autismo, throwing out ridiculous statements and regurgitating the same old /tv/ memes about practical effects.
I guess the fact the movie was pg 13 and completely ignored the actual body horror and the gore of war is ok? As long as they use PRACTICAL EFFECTS and not cgi right? How ridiculous can you autists get.
>>
>>85391365
Apparently The Thin Red Line autist doesn't have a problem with blowing $300 million on bad CGI but he thinks spending $150 million on practical effects is a waste of money. I don't understand him.
>>
>>85391324
>I need characters to spell out themes for the audience with on the nose dialogue instead of being able to discern themes through the visuals in a visual medium
Spotted the pleb
>>
>>85391463
It's very natural, you mongoloid.

Not all nations speak as loudly and emptily as Americans.
>>
>>85391472
And my point is that cgi or practical effects is a minor technical question for today's movies.
It should never be the central film unless you are making a manual or something...
Films for me shouldnt be about such technicalities, for me they have other purposes. Making me think, making me feel, presenting things in a new or interesting light. Uncovering something about human life and experience i didnt think of before or was not aware off..
Thats what films are about for me and what they should focus on getting right, not reconstructing an actual plane to make sure that when they shoot the dials inside the cockpit with the camera, its historically accurate.
>>
>>85391472
>Yeah I know cgi makes it hard for you to be immersed because you are a walking talking reddit le science autismo, throwing out ridiculous statements and regurgitating the same old /tv/ memes about practical effects.
Not an argument. You're pathetic.
>I guess the fact the movie was pg 13 and completely ignored the actual body horror and the gore of war is ok?
Most of the destruction in the film is explosions and most of the time the explosions don't directly hit people. Early on in the film the Germans bomb the beach and you see a few soldiers get hit but that's it. The film didn't need tons of gore and you know it.
>>
>>85391431
>the IMAX I saw it in had a blurry picture I was so disappointed

>>85391306

Yeah gotta watch out for that. Most IMAXes hare have outdated blurry tech that was never upgraded.
>>
>>85390990
the premise is an extraordinary circumstance that would never happen, but i don't see how that's corny. it's a metaphor for the value of human life in wartime, and an examination of the arbitrary rules of decency in war.
>The scenes of letters being delivered to families of dead soldiers.
again, I just don't see how this is corny. it was one letter delivered to one woman in one scene with zero dialogue. it sets up the premise but also establishes the larger context of the sense of sacrifice.
>Just watch his movies, its always like that.
don't see what that has to do with SPR
>In some cases its showing the viewers a few "crowed" characters reacting in an overly dramatic and ridiculous way to something corny and emotional the main character is doing.
Its similar to what you see in movies for kids.
i don't remember this in SPR, unless you're referring to a few PTSD depictions, none of which were cartoonish or over-the-top.

t. some guy who thinks SPR is a better war movie than Dunkirk
>>
>>85391487
who are you trying to persuade or get points from in an anon imageboard?
Did I ever mention Gi I joe? No. such cvrap is beyond criticism and yet can still shine if it can at least ahve interesting bells and whistles through cool and spectacular visuals.
In general my point about the budget was that beyond what the budget allowed Nolan to do there was nothing interesting about the film.
Gi I joe and other capeshit appeal to a different audiance, hopefully early teens and thus the focus and demands from such films are different than from a film like Dunkirk.
>>
>>85391698
No I dont know it you dishonest clown. It was obvious right form the first explosions on the beach at the beginning that the fact the film was pg 13 was very detrimental.
you literally see explosions hitting people directly and nothing happens.
there is no blood, no body parts in any part of the film. It was almost distracting.
I wouldnt care about it that much but with autists like you I have to mention it as you seem to be unable to even follow your own standards and claim to lose immersion when you see CGI but having zero gore in a war film when people get bombed and show at by fighter plane cannons is somehow just fine.
Also whats up with explosions having almost no fire?
Even by your standards this film was shit, i guess they wanted to make it pg 13 to make sure to get as much $$$ as they possibly could.
>>
>>85389924
He didn't fly so good.
>>
>>85390577
>he is captured at night
>his life as an RAF pilot ended
>he was born in the darkness
P O T T E R Y
>>
File: tumblr_o82oqfnbVJ1s6zihxo1_1280.jpg (200KB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o82oqfnbVJ1s6zihxo1_1280.jpg
200KB, 1280x905px
>>85386320

They had this idea that it was a gesture of mercy and England would soon ask for an armistice.

They didn't know that Churchill had been scheming with Roosevelt to bring the US into the war by repeatedly provoking the Japanese.
>>
File: Anglo and Aryan.jpg (180KB, 645x912px) Image search: [Google]
Anglo and Aryan.jpg
180KB, 645x912px
>>85390783
>only England gets to break every treaty they sign
;^)
>>
>>85391929
I repeat:
>most of the time the explosions don't directly hit people. Early on in the film the Germans bomb the beach and you see a few soldiers get hit but that's it.
>>
File: cry-guy.jpg (39KB, 460x340px) Image search: [Google]
cry-guy.jpg
39KB, 460x340px
>>85393010
not only england
>>
>>85385439
I thought the ticking was Tom Hardy's fuel going down.
>>
>>85393252
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TovqogviVU
couldn't help thinking about this during the movie. perhaps hans zimmer was inspired by metallica.
>>
>>85389832
No it wasn't. The music never shut up so it became background noise eventually.
>>
>>85388670
Both of these things probably happened, there is a war ffs
>>
>Russia
>no IMAX in my town
>>
>>85390894
The shots are generally too dark or not focused directly on his eyes to really appreciate any expression they might give other than the 'stress induced squint' look.
>>
>no plot
>the most tension is a couple of planes and a u boat
>no character development
>you see no Germans
>kept cutting to different scenes when tension was just about to build up

Was disappointed.
>>
>>85391755
I think SPR = Dunkirk (But Thin Red Line is better)

SPR and Dunkirk are almost the thesis -> Anti-thesis of modern war films. And to be blunt, we needed some fresh air in war movies, it had gone stale.
>>
>>85385689
Yeh should have hired a few k more extras, it's a shame vecause it kinda ruined my immersion

They also should have hired more ships for the civilian flotilla scene
>>
>>85393885
>muh forced cringeworthy character arcs!!!

Hey theres a disney thread up right now that might be more to your tastes
>>
>>85393885
>a u boat

wat
>>
Lol the state of Britain today, entire cities full of Muslims, gays and trannies dominating the culture war.
They died for nothing.
>>
>>85393885
>no plot
You mean, almost no lines? Because there was a plot. They moved people form the beach, to Britain.

>the most tension is a couple of planes and a u boat
Do you mean, the most tense moments involved planes and a u-boat?
I can think of very tense moments happing at all the locations.

>no character development
Did it need it in order to tell the story? Does all stories need character development?

>you see no Germans
Why is this an issue? There were no Germans really there. The British didn't really see them either, and the story is told from their perspective.
And I mean, you did see German planes. And Germans at the very end.

>kept cutting to different scenes when tension was just about to build up
Found the jumps in time very as a very interesting method to tell the story.
>>
>>85394647
>Gays didn't exist during WW2

maybe you should read some war memoirs, bong soldiers were having gay sex even on the troop ships to Singapore.
>>
>>85394732
It wasn't however the most important thing in society, to defend lgbt rights, and pander to them.
>>
My Dad said that every spitfire came with a crowbar, why didn't he use it to smash the canopy? He also said that if you're going to ditch the plane you open the canopy on impact?
>>
>>85394647
>entire cities full of Muslims, gays and trannies

some of you really get your worldviews from 4chan
>>
The gun fight at the beginning was really great, I wish they had more street battles. The stukas sounded terrifying.
>>
>>85394794
Why does two men having the right to bone each other count as "pandering"?

Before gay rights you had the likes of Alan Turing put on hormone blockers to turn them straight by order of court. It didn't work and he killed himself
>>
Dunkirk? I'll pass, for me....it's Stukas (1941)
>>
>>85394969
Trannies still kill themselves, because the grass isn't always green on the other side, after mutilating their genitals.

Look I don't care if people want to bum each other, its their business but when the state is going on about it all the time, the police paint their police cars rainbow coloured then its going a bit too far.
>>
>>85386150
t. Frenchman
>>
File: 1499797131094.jpg (72KB, 573x960px) Image search: [Google]
1499797131094.jpg
72KB, 573x960px
>>85386150
I wanna go see it myself, but non of my friends like history.But they drag me along every capeshit film.
>>
>>85385844
howd you get on in gallipoli?
>>
>>85386182
this. Nolan actually made the ultimate normie pleb filter
>>
>>85388521
get filtered you utter pleb
>>
>>85389677
competent film maker
>>
>>85389618
most americans probably though someone was shooting up the cinema, sounded really good
>>
so can we talk about "The Mole?" Not the timeline but the character we are introduced to at the beginning of the film. Is he a mole? Who was he? What is the significance of returning to him with the page flip noise at the end of the film?
>>
>>85396052
The Mole is referring to where all the soldiers are lining up to get on the boat, it's a pier made of rock.
>>
File: zizek.gif (947KB, 380x284px) Image search: [Google]
zizek.gif
947KB, 380x284px
>>85396052
What
>>
>>85392358
I think he flew extremely well
also crushed that plane with a survivor
>>
>>85396432
At least he made the fire rise brother!
>>
>>85387725
Nobody on /tv/ actually goes to the cinema, wait until a decent HD copy can be pirated then all the memes will come flooding in.
>>
>>85396182
oh really? I thought it was supposed to be like a double entendre. Clearly my thought was somewhat founded since the french kid was infiltrating the british ranks to escape.
>>
Nolan used Shepard tones like all his movies.

That noise where it sounds it both rising and falling at the same time. It causes anxiety in a lot of people.
>>
>>85390719
This is one of the most cancerous posts I've seen on /tv/ in a very long time.

I felt my own IQ dropping 50 points while reading this, it was an insult to all of my senses.
>>
>>85390291
With you on this one. CGI crowds would have been good. The sound was fantastic and oppressive. Gunfire was loud and unpleasant as it ought to be.
>>
>>85394966
This.

The town was fucking beautiful. I would have loved more of it.
>>
>>85390560
But it wasn't historical. It played fast and loose with the real events to try and portray the mood of the evacuation.
>>
Movies americans will never understand
>>
It's legit kino and it makes me sad utter trash like capeshit will beat it at the box office.
>>
>>85395188
The police paint their cars rainbow as a gesture of solidarity and support, because half a century ago they were locking gays up for having sex.
>>
The characters were so under developed that I did not know who was who in this movie. The guy who was sitting on the wreck, was it the same man who got on the boat? That French guy, was he save? Only people in this movie i recognize was op pic, two pilots, old man with his son and dead kid.
>>
>>85397944
Maybe you'd have noticed if you weren't looking at your phone
>>
>>85397944
yeah I couldn't keep the soldier characters straight either
>>
>>85398002
Several times I checked the time on the phone, but it only took a few seconds, only longer break was when i have to text back my friend, but it still was one minute top. Plus one visit in the bathroom, but that was it.
>>
>>85398096
Me neither but I think that's probably the point, they don't have names or personalities, they're just a big struggling desperate mass of humanity.
>>
The batman trilogy was his best work. It was perfect for his mental level it seems. Hey, nobody said film directors are smart.
>>
We keep having these threads, boys.

Americans literally cannot understand this film. End of story.

It's a British masterpiece.
>>
>>85398163
>I only did it because I had to have a small conversation for my friend so that makes it okay
if your phone is out your phone is out faggot
that's grounds for das boot in any self-respecting alamo drafthouse
>>
>>85399981
It's really not though. A bridge too far is a British master piece, this is average.
>>
>>85400220
Bridge Too Far was good for its time with all the clunky effects and acting. Dunkirk is more visceral and real.
>>
>>85400220
>Dunkirk is an average british film
Wow the british filmography must be pretty great then, feel free to recommend me any similar british movie, surely there are a lot of them if this was "average"
>>
Where did you watch the movie lads? I'm still waiting for a decent quality to pop in tpb
>>
>>85400438
In the cinema. One of the better cinema experiences of recent times, I doubt you will experience anything like it in the following years.
It's worth it for the sound alone, and torrent rips cut the quality on sound first everytime.
>>
File: tv1348990116000.png (488KB, 464x563px) Image search: [Google]
tv1348990116000.png
488KB, 464x563px
>"How long until the tide coming back in?"
>"Six Hours"
>"You got 3"

How did Nolan get away with this?
>>
The "WHERE IS THE BLOODY AIRFORCE?!" throughout the film was glorious, something burgers will never understand.
>>
>>85388670
that all happened tho, are you thick in the skull?
>>
>He's on me
>I'm on him

pure kíno
>>
Thank God it had 15mins of dialogue> everyone was mumbling these horrendous british english. Couldn't understand half of it.
>>
>Kid goes off on theold fag's boat to Dunkirk
>Figure he's gonna get shot or something
>Dies by falling down a small flight of stairs

BRAVO NOLAN
>>
What are some other films with sound that good? What are some kinos which are really tense?
>>
>>85401062
yeah that shit felt so unnecessary
>>
File: JUVE.png (1MB, 1132x608px) Image search: [Google]
JUVE.png
1MB, 1132x608px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1VJ39nVIBk
>>
File: 1480403379590.jpg (44KB, 1282x723px) Image search: [Google]
1480403379590.jpg
44KB, 1282x723px
Why didn't they kick the Dutch guy off the boat?
>>
>>85401353
he was the captain wasn't he? surely he was needed
>>
File: no exit.gif (410KB, 221x196px) Image search: [Google]
no exit.gif
410KB, 221x196px
>you will never see a sequel to this

It felt the first film in a trilogy
>>
Saw this in 70mm ask me anything.
>>
>>85400338
Theres that movie where the British soldier gets stuck in ireland during the troubles. Its called 71 and its better than Dunkirk.
>>
>>85401541
Nolan's interview with BBC Radio said that he left the last shots in Dunkirk open for more WW2 films. My money's on a Colditz with Hardy.
>>
I don't know why people have trouble understanding the intent of this movie was to starkly portray the terror and impersonality of a very real moment of human suffering from our recent history. The point was to put you directly in the shoes of the people who lived in these terrible moments and to make you feel as they did, not to be fun or an action movie. It approached the subject with such great reverence that the viewer is allowed to experience the event, nearly as it was, and not as some sort of play.
>>
>>85401595
>>85401541
I am super feeling a Battle of Britain movie, and Nolan making a trilogy about his homeland's resilience.
>>
Why were people just standing on the beach
>>
File: EwOTp.jpg (37KB, 500x352px) Image search: [Google]
EwOTp.jpg
37KB, 500x352px
>>85396052
>>
>>85390577
someone needs to edit this into a trnasition
>>
>>85385215
Branagh looks frail. Does he have cancer or something?
>>
>>85385914
Riflemen on the ready
>>
>>85401882
Waiting for boats.
>>
File: IMG_2803.jpg (540KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2803.jpg
540KB, 1080x1920px
I found the very last shot to be oddly memorable, the double fade to black interjected with the soldiers face.
>>
>>85401882

Completely surrounded by the Germans, and couldn't get off the beach with what they had because the English Channel was too shallow for a lot of the heavy transport ships, so they were taking them like 200 at a time for 400,000 people.

There was nowhere to run to, unless you wanted to try to swim the 30-40 miles from France to England.
>>
I just came from the cinema and thought the cinematography never developed. Basically we see everything in the first shot: nature vs. men and the image is just fighting between overcoming nature but it didn't have good dialogue

I also thought it's time we see the war from German perspective, maybe a movie about the bombing of Dresden or the raping of German women in Prussia.
>>
File: shootback.jpg (6KB, 209x242px) Image search: [Google]
shootback.jpg
6KB, 209x242px
>>85385914

Well, shoot back.
>>
File: IMG_2801.jpg (80KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2801.jpg
80KB, 600x337px
Can we just stop with the German propaganda that Hitler wanted to let the British expeditionary force to leave? Literally from his ramblings in 1945, cannot be coming from a man more salty than that.
>>
File: dunkirk-2.jpg (187KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
dunkirk-2.jpg
187KB, 2048x1536px
>The tide is coming in
>How can you tell?
>The bodies come back
>>
>>85392712
>wehraboos actually believe this
>>
since I've seen it mentioned so many times in this thread, how is the Thin Red Line? I bought it on criterion on a whim and haven't watched it yet
>>
>>85403061

Your first paragraph sounds like it was written by a machine learning robot, it makes absolutely zero sense.

There is a German band of brothers. Also there is no one left to appreciate a real nazi sentiment in such a movie, so you can stop LARPing.

This is literally the only movie shot on large format with the largest naval crew ever.
>>
>>85401818
>not to be fun or an action movie.
>background music doesn't stop once for the entirety of the movie
No. Call of Duty of WW2 movies
>>
>>85403289
>How long till the tide?
>6 hours
>you got 3

Fucking hell Nolan...
>>
>>85403393
It's not a hyper real representation of the inglorious aspects of total war.
>>
>>85385215

It's not the end of the world,

but you can see it from here.
>>
>>85403486
The part about the army thinking its 3 hours for the tide and the navy correcting them was probably the best representation of what war would actually feel like.
>>
File: turner.jpg (135KB, 1101x826px) Image search: [Google]
turner.jpg
135KB, 1101x826px
Some of the shots looked like Turner paintings
>>
>>85403397
Sorry I'm German and I don't know film terminology in English. So we see three forces - man, nature and technology. But everything is explained in the first shot of the beach, the filmic space is defined by the technology that prohibits man to flee the beach. The real enemy is never shown in person so the enemy is as much nature as it is man. Man needs to seek unity to survive and is in total contrast to the nature. Boring and everything is right there in the first few shots. No artistic value to me and worth thinking about.

I don't want a pro Nazi movie but for the war film genre to develop there should be new perspectives if we want to go back to WWII. There are many German anti-war films from WWI so I don't see the problem.
>>
>>85403416
It did stop, did you even go outside to watch the movie because I doubt it.
>>
>>85386019
NO! CGI IS EVIL!

>"FUCK IT THAT LOOKS GOOD!"
Bravo Nolan!
>>
File: 1324496127553.jpg (84KB, 801x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1324496127553.jpg
84KB, 801x1024px
Just came back from a 70mm screening.
I booked another ticket for next week too because I had a shitty seat.
Should I watch it again? Will I regret it?
>>
File: 1.jpg (115KB, 720x490px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
115KB, 720x490px
>ywn fly one of these and have crowds cheer you on as you shoot down German flies
>>
>>85403570
i didn't get the part about the 3 hour / 6 hour thing

explain it for a brainlet pls
>>
>>85403680
It didn't stop. The quietest it got was the clock ticking.
>>
>>85403802
Did the Germans back in the day [spoilers]trade prisoners? I like to think that the big guy made it home in the end [/spoilers]
>>
>>85403061
Dresden would be a pretty cool sequel to Dunkirk.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
>>85386150
Go back to your blog, Blobbob
>>
File: 1457656601349.png (75KB, 181x183px) Image search: [Google]
1457656601349.png
75KB, 181x183px
The fact that people are saying this trash just proves how contrarian /tv/ is. This is the best war movie in the last 10 years.
>>
>>85404038
A trilogy about the bombings of Dresden, Tokyo and Hiroshima would be phenomenal. Maybe you could also show the bombing of English cities.

>If war terror is the deliberate slaughter of noncombatants, to break the will of an enemy, were not Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki war terror on a monumental scale?
>>
File: 1489919227959.jpg (53KB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
1489919227959.jpg
53KB, 426x426px
>>85388171
Underrated
>>
>>85402165
CONRAD TIE YOUR FUCKIN' LACES.
>>
>>85403652
>>85403652
Once again you make no sen-

>I'm German

Why, that explains everything. You see Hans, in the world of free enterprise, the artistic merit comes after a will and way to get something done. In this case the artistic merit is to the sky, as even you can understand; by your incoherent ramblings. You are trying to say the movie blows its load early, but having seen the movie, I can tell that you have an incredibly pretentious world view coming into the film, and unable to check out said assumptions.

If you want to talk nature, man, technology... the reason the war was lost on your side is because your enemy leaped you in all aspects.

Now what would be the purpose in a far more advanced society to broadcast runic ideas of a neo pagan order united under syndicalism? Please throw away as much of your pseudo intellectual unemperical babble before you try answering that.
>>
>>85404181
The Blitz would probably have to come first. Reap the whirlwind etc.
>>
>>85385326
>Nolan did it again

HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT
>>
>>85394890
Channel 4 news you mean
>>
>>85404289
bla bla bla I'm talking about filmic space and cinema of spectacle you moron I don't care about philosophy just the pure view on the filmic image and Nolan never develops it.

Order (Man, Technology) vs. Destruction (Nature)

But he never makes anything of it. It is plain boring. Delueze movement image and time image says it all.
>>
>>85392712
>gesture of mercy

>meanwhile at German high command
>"jawohl the british will see our magnanimous gesture as a truce offering and we can put this pesky war behind us"
>"but make sure to send some of these for shits and giggles, that wouldn't muddy the waters at all"
>>
File: Dunkirk.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Dunkirk.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
>tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick

Damn...
>>
File: 1488170261941.png (185KB, 475x754px) Image search: [Google]
1488170261941.png
185KB, 475x754px
>/tv/ always has a battle between visuals over plot
>Dunkirk is a perfect example of visuals over plot
>/tv/ doesn't know how to feel about Dunkirk
Also I'm guessing Nolan's intentions was it being about the event rather than about the characters surrounding the event. How can people be this dense nowadays?
>>
File: stuka.jpg (24KB, 421x800px) Image search: [Google]
stuka.jpg
24KB, 421x800px
>>85404569
forgot pic
>>
>>85404181
I mean, there is a ton of fucking movies about that shit already, it's just tiny budget ones with drama elements specific to those locations. And the bombing is usually just an event that kills off some buddy or parent or loved one, to intensify the drama.

The axis sentiment in these threads is really odd sometimes, and even though the bombings were dreadful, none of those locations actually serve anyone.

If you want to get on your high horse then make a movie about Cologne Cathloics, which famously did not vote for Hitler almost at all yet were part of the onslaught of Allied revenge.

You should also understand after Dunkirk, Europe was essentially lost to the nazi regime for four long years, and the dehumanizations that followed aren't excusable but definitely forseable.
>>
>>85395469
Fuckin' A, this. Can't stand capeshit, but they eat it up like it's the lord's own diarrhea.
>>
>>85390379
That was the point of those characters though... to show how shitty it was being there standing in line waiting to die.They tried anything just to be able to get off the beach.
>>
>>85393705
yes it was!
>>
>>85404597
Wrong, Dunkirk tries to make visuals work with the plot. Nolan always comes back to the individual figure of the soldier fighting.

Real filmic excess never happens and the explosions always serve the narration. Excess happens when the shots repeat themselves, are overly long, are unspecific (have nothing to do with the narration) and are redundant.

Nolan could be GOAT if he would make a monumental movie. Imagine him filming the second punic war or something.
>>
>>85404489
You really swallowed the Wehr pill deeply. You are clearly angry in your appraisal on the merits of this fine film.

What about the shot of civilian boats going towards the war whilst the war boats going the opposite? Was that not filmic enough for you?
>>
>>85404162
correct post
>>
File: Capture.jpg (8KB, 53x27px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
8KB, 53x27px
>>85404686
>The axis sentiment in these threads is really odd sometimes
I wonder who could be behind it.
>>
>>85404864
>if you didn't like this boring film that does nothing new and is just a best of nolan then you are a nazi supporter

nice reddit
>>
>>85404588
why does every single brit in this film have black hair its like they are fucking Italians or something
>>
>>85404849
I mean this is just film school tier contrary spit taking. The crux of the 3 groups of characters was the whole fucking point of the movie, the "repetition" was expertly done and fascinating to stitch together in your mind.

You cannot get more salty than this Hans.
>>
>>85405031
Apart from the Scots pilot and the son on the boat?
>>
>>85405052
Why do you think I'm salty? I have a poster of The Thin Red Line hanging in my room. I love war movies. I'm just tired of Nolan.
>>
>>85387842
What is it with Bravo Nolan and making Big Guy wear masks?
>>
>>85401062
He hit his fucking head on that big ass metal bolt... were you not paying attention?
>>
>>85405021
Okay you're just cutting the reply chain short there out of laziness, but none of your criticism actually relate to the film and you're being overly harsh on ridiculous aspects that no one else reads into except some postmodern film school yuppies. this movie is anti cheesy, tears in eye posturing all film makers are instructed to shove in their movies, and is in fact a revolutionary step into large format balls out film making without hand holding the audience.
>>
>>85405387
I think the story is just fine and I liked the cutting between different groups. However as I said I think the space the movie works with is just underdeveloped. There's great tension in the urban space of the city which would be interesting to explore with the modern standpoint of terrorism, essentially putting the soldier in a dystopic place where he has no support of the local population (they are all gone) and can be killed at any time. By not showing the enemy I thought it was good to show the nature, here the city as the real enemy. But it's over so soon and remains a nice thought but not fleshed out.

Now once we enter the beach there's this great scene with the two posts in the foreground, the army in the middle and the sea in the back. This image tells you everything there is to know. The army needs to preserve order and comradeship in order to survive (and also technology) and the forces of nature work against it. There's a clear line between order and destruction and I thought it was disappointing to leave it at that. The psychological destruction isn't really explored since Nolan always frames the characters as part of a bigger group and gives no background. He struggles to make good characters. He could have done that by going more into interior rooms but never does anything with them except to destroy them after a short while. And my biggest gripe as said is that Nolan tries to work excess work with narration which doesn't go too well.
>>
>>85405969
You're missing the whole point of the movie, it's not really a war movie more as a suspense one; a sort of horror film if you would. It's not trying to dig deep into any subtext or statements about war; it shows the war.
>>
>>85404162
Hacksaw ridge is better
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.