[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>britbong show >"series" are only 3-5 episodes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

>britbong show
>"series" are only 3-5 episodes and are released years apart
why do they do this
>>
...B-But no commercials...
>>
>>85354474
>years apart
That's Sherlock, most show at least manage 1 series a year.
>>
Because filler episodes are unnecessary.
>>
>>85354474
>"series" are only 3-5 episodes
name one that has less than 6 that isn't a mini series
>>
>American show
>20 episodes, half of them are filler episodes to satisfy advertisers and one of the episodes is a clips show
>>
>>85354742
Black Mirror
>>
>>85354474

It's because my people are arrogant and think our humour is so much better than yours. Sorry dude
>>
>>85354474
I've heard that it's just a different writer culture. They get tired of writing the same show and working on the same team after a while and just go their separate ways. Britfags probably know more about this
>>
>>85354814
Black Mirror is basically a series of mini films. It's not a conventional show with a plot running through the season.
>>
>>85354474
Why are you suing the old Union Jack without the cross of St. Patrick?
>>
>>85354970
American shows are money driven, if a show gets picked up for a full season the network will force the creators to write at least 20 episodes to sell advertising slots.
>>
>>85354474
I'd also like an explanation for this. I'd venture to guess that British television pays far less so the good writers all go to America.
>>
>>85354800
>watch Hand of God
>episode 1 is amazing
>literally every episode except the last one is filler

There were no plot advancements at all until the last episode. There was even an entire episode dedicated to a character who had previously shown up for two scenes before and then never mentioned again.

The majority of tv shows should be films
>>
>>85355095
Nope, most of the time a successful writer in the UK will start their own production company and manage a group of understudy writers and actors.
>>
>>85355193
I know the BBC is government owned but do the other British television networks function similarly to the major American ones?
>>
>>85355354
Kind of, but some channels like Channel 4 are also state owned so they don't have shareholders to answer to, but generate their money by commercial means.
>>
>>85354474
>Catalog
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the British channels are public and there's no such thing as syndication deals. Basically, the film and television industry there is relatively tiny compared to Hollywood.
>>
>>85355095
There are a few reasons:

1. British shows usually have a small team of only 2 or 3 writers who are also usually also the creators of the show. (for example, The Office was created and written by just Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant).
American shows often have large teams of rotating and guest writers.

2. The BBC doesn't run commercials, it gets the same amount of money no matter how many people end up watching the show.
So there is no reason to make filler episodes, or push writers for more episodes than they feel they need to tell their story.

3. Budgets are often smaller than American shows. This isn't always the case, but it applies particularly to comedy shows or sitcoms.

4. A lot of British writers seem to value having a few high quality episodes rather than a lot of hit-and-miss episodes.
>>
>>85355720
Pretty much except we have half as much ad breaks
>>
>>85355768
Makes sense. The budget for the US version of the office was gargantuan compared to the original version.
>>
>>85355720
iirc channel 4 is entitled to some of the license fee but refuses to take it for some reason.
>>
Lower budgets and the BBC specifically aims to put out lots of short quality series rather than one or two excellent long ones a year.

Idea is to have something for everyone
>>
>>85355755
>but all of the British channels are public
Ever heard of Sky TV?
>>
File: 1468875298988.gif (2MB, 350x147px) Image search: [Google]
1468875298988.gif
2MB, 350x147px
The British are genetically inferior. It's the only plausible explanation.
>>
>>85355986
I have but that's cable only right?
>>
>>85355930
>but refuses to take it for some reason.
Because their would be an uproar if they still ran adverts while taking license fee payer's money
>>
>>85356023
It used to be Satellite only but it can be accessed by cable, online or on terrestrial platforms now
>>
>>85356047
good point.
>>
>>85356047
>>85356188
The TV license thing is still bizarre to me but I guess it does keep your programming commercial free.
>>
>>85356361
I can see how it is bizarre to other countries (mostly just because of the word license).

But it has resulted in some great tv.
I don't think something like planet earth would have been the same if it had been made for a channel that got its money from ad revenue.

I feel kinda of proud of it.
I really hope we never sell the BBC.
>>
>>85354474
>"American" animated series
>it was animated in Japan/Korea/some European country
Every time.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.