[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Critics have seen Mookie's action both as an action

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Do_the_Right_Thing_poster.png (204KB, 260x384px) Image search: [Google]
Do_the_Right_Thing_poster.png
204KB, 260x384px
>Critics have seen Mookie's action both as an action that saves Sal's life and as an "irresponsible encouragement to enact violence"
However, his actions were spoken out the day after when he said that it was all for his dead friend. Not really to protect him. Spike scratched the ending where this was moreso implied in order to divide the audience. But:

>Lee believes they are implicitly failing to see the difference between property and the life of a black man
Which directly means that he did it even moreso out of anger. The protagonist was a nigger to begin with, like many others.
Whenever they became fools, the whites told them to stop. Then they fooled out even more and the whites got caught up in that shit as well. "Do the right thing", indeed.

Meanwhile, Mookie is money-driven, lacks responsibility and will continue to be a bitch. He barely gives a shit and is a black stereotype.
The Italians have their lives destroyed. Mookie says he'll have his insurance, but his "life" has been indeed destroyed here. Can't be compared to the death of a boy, no, but why destroy the store. Beat up the Italians? Were they at fault? It's not the actual right thing, part of the theme. But also makes Spike wrong. There is no justification to destroy the store. Is it better than killing the Italians? Surely. But they redirected their anger.
If "justification" and empathy matters that much, then every action ever is understandable.

I can enjoy movies without liking the (intended or unintended) message, thankfully, and it's a great film. It also represents "fight the power" in a reverted way and I like that.
But I think Spike is certainly trying to justify his negros too much.
>>
>>85299066
>anyone giving a shit that some autist nigger died
>>
Spike Lee saying its about a store vs a black man when in real life 8 more people would die in the fucking riot and they'd all be black people getting killed accidentally by other black people. fucking niggers.
>>
>>85299727
It's not depicting real life. It's a movie that satirizes it. And not every riot ends with eight more people dying.
However, the store being destroyed to avenge the death of a black man is a typical response to shift your anger towards anyone but yourself. Spike appears to be of the belief that it's justified, when it is not. All it does is "fuck white people" which also is the theme of the movie. Albeit apparently not either since Spike Lee has a different stance on it.
Seems more like he doesn't understand his own movie or depicted something that wasn't clear whatsoever.

>>85299655
Black people gave a shit, caused a riot in the movie. He turned his music up too loud and didn't listen to authority, so he almost killed someone because of it. He even spat in the face of police trying to put him down. Which killed him.
>>
Yea, I don't get the whole "a black man's life is worth less than private property."
There was no reason for Mookie to destroy the private property in the first place.
>>
>>85300782
There was reason. You have to remember that "the white started it", meaning violence. Before that, it was not violence per se. But, seriously, seeing how the characters in the movie were like and how it always played out, you could -not- end this with violence. The whites had enough of their bullshit. Justifying a white man's act which started the entire riot.
It led to a brawl that ended up with police killing the boy. The black people make whites responsible, moreso the Italian family that destroyed his boom box. They feel oppressed. They literally are nothing and destroy everyone around them because they blame them instead of themselves. That is also why they wanted to wrack havoc on the Asian store.

So, there was reason. It just does not justify Spike Lee's theory at all.
Also, the reason is fucking retarded, but what do you expect. Seems reasonable among black ghetto folk. All of it plays into the theme of "being oppressed" and "doing the right thing" the mayor had talked about. It plays fantastically into the movie.
Just that it's a fucking dumb message if you are supposed to feel good about it. If you are supposed to relate to Mookie.

>white people are the only ones asking me this
What does that tell you, then? If blacks do not question it, that makes them similiar to the people portrayed in the movie. This only makes the whites - actually, similiarly portrayed in the film - mostly reasonable. While the blacks just keep on blaming everyone and victimize themselves to justify their laziness and how they never achieved anything.
Did he really try to portray THAT?
>>
>>85301074
>What does that tell you, then?
That blacks can't into logic and the "we waz oppressed" feels trumps all.
>>
>>85302183
Yes, exactly, but I have trouble believing this about some black director who's supposed to be hailed by. People. It just seems too full of flaws for no one to notice this dumb thematic being played out.
>>
>>85299066
>MOOKIE DINDU NUFFIN MAYNE

Knowing Spike Lee feels this way almost ruins the movie.
>>
>>85299066
Yes, Spike Lee is a moronic racist nigger.

And I ain't the first or last to say or agree with that.
>>
>>85304468
>moronic racist nigger
Any examples of that, besides this movie?
>>
>>85305657
like every interview he has ever given
>>
>>85306034
Seems normal to me
>>
Are any of his other movies as good as this one?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.