[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Self improvement is masturbation. Now, self-destruction..."

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 256
Thread images: 23

>"Self improvement is masturbation. Now, self-destruction..."

What did he mean by this? Guys in the gym being healthy getting in shape is masturbation? So if i sat around all day eating cheetos and drinking mnt dew thats better?
>>
Every other guy who gets /fit/ and gets a $500k/hr job with his doctorate mostly uses it to masturbate his own ego
>>
Palahniuk is an edgelord
i remember in some interview or one of his books he made this huge thing about himself/one of his characters getting buff as fuck and completely cease working out and watching it slowly waste away
>>
>>85291506
>f i sat around all day eating cheetos and drinking mnt dew thats better?

you'd be less of a dick than some self obsessed faggot looking at himself for four hours a day in the mirror, yes.
>>
>>85291506
what the hell kind of clothes are those?
he looks like a prostitute
>>
>>85291654
90's edgecore
>>
>>85291648
theres actually a study saying people who are healthier are nicer than people who arent. overweight or ugly people tend to be outcasts and aim their insecurities and hatred onto other people
>>
File: 1426362627536.jpg (42KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
1426362627536.jpg
42KB, 400x462px
>>85291506
>Guys in the gym being healthy getting in shape is masturbation?
Yes. I lift solely to be better than other people. It's entirely egotism.
>>
>overthinking answer
You learn more about yourself by destroying yourself.

>real answer
Fight Club was full of stuff that mean nothing but sound deep on the surface.
>>
>>85291506
your death is coming, faster than you think. self destruction achieves this unavoidable outcome but in an enjoyable way of your choosing.
choosing a life of self improvement is just wasting your time on shit that isnt going to last very long. its literally jerking off over yourself.
>>
Lifting for pussy is masturbation
Now lifting for strength...
>>
Tyler goes on many rants and none of them are too coherent. You could make a thread out of any one of them. As to what this one means, it's more comparable to the Bible. You get what you want out of it, you just have to be looking.
>>
>>85291506
>>"Self improvement is masturbation. Now, self-destruction..."
>What did he mean by this?
It was a metaphor. Men trying to improve themselves superficially instead of spiritually.
He meant self-destruction as destroying your spiritual self, your personality, your beliefs, so you can rebuild anew, and then repeat. "It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything" He saw the destruction of self as a way to unchain yourself from society.
It's also worth noting that, a, its a work of fiction, b, The author had a poor understanding of Nietzsche, c, Tyler is meant to be a bit of a contradiction so as not to take everything he says as Gospel.
>>
>>85291506
The sad thing is that you're probably not even joking and are really not getting this.
>>
>>85291506
What bothered me was the irony of Brad (or Norton I can't remember) looking at a Calvin Klein ad and commenting "is that what a man should look like?"

meanwhile Brad's physique in this movie is legendary and is some next level trend setting shit

was it supposed to be ironic? or something more like, who ever gives the least fucks about other people\s opinions is the most attractive?
>>
>>85291506
Muscels to look good =|= muscels to do actual things

I never understood those faggots going to gym in the town I grew up. I went swimming and chopping wood and could EASILY take down most of these fucks in any arm wrestling match.
>>
I can say working out feels masturbatory to me. That doesn't mean it's BAD.
>>
>>85292554
Remember Tyler isn't real. Why create a fat, ugly avatar?
>>
He meant that people who go to the gym and pay dr. shekel to lift heavy things are literal subhumans because you don't need anything other than your body to be beautiful, strong and healthy

he meant that truly redpilled people do calisthenics
>>
>>85292639
It's narcissism.
>>
>>85291506

The entire point is that Tyler is a hypocrite and a stupid asshole. Nothing he says makes much sense, and you're not supposed to listen to him.
>>
>>85292671
All those high level jewish gym owners
>>
File: juicy lucy.png (943KB, 976x1439px) Image search: [Google]
juicy lucy.png
943KB, 976x1439px
>>85292685
>being healthy is narcissistic
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>85292639
Lifting heavy never felt masturbatory to me. Martial arts, on the other hand, did, sparring especially.
>>
File: 1496863292721.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1496863292721.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>85292568
>not doing both

/fit/masculine masterrace.

Look as good as you feel, feel better because you look good. Strength, practical muscle and mental clarity.

>mfw I was a pudgy, lazy, beta, sensitive escapist before hitting the gym and becoming in touch with primal masculinity.
>>
>>85291506
I think he's trying to say that men aren't meant to be building life so much as consuming it. His worldview bases around the fact that we are all flawed and we all die, so we should do what we really want to why we can and experience the real meat of life. Spending all your time trying to meet a silly (and arguably unnatural) standard of beauty or even behavior is ignoring the fact that it isnt what you really want and isnt going to last.

(Though lets not forget that Brad Pitt roided for that movie)
>>
>>85292722

You can be healthy and not be an egotistical faggot. You can work out for your health, or do it for narcissistic reasons. If you don't believe me, ask Zyzz how healthy he is...
>>
>>85292568
>muh beach muscles
Nigger, you're retarded. Can you lift 240lbs over your head from chopping wood like my useless gym muscles can?
>>
>>85291578
>>85291648
>>85291859
>>85292671
>>85292685
>everything is pointless! why do anything!

spotted the fatties trying to justify their apathy and self-loathing
>>
>>85292904
If health is your real goal then you should probably be spending most of your time running rather than lifting.
>>
>>85292856
everything tyler durden did was meant to be hypocritical
>>
>>85292685
And? Taking pride in lack of narcissism is also narcissistic. The only way to avoid narcissism is to be completely apathetic towards everything and everyone. People will build up complexes over the littlest things. If society deems one form of narcissism more positively than another, why not choose that avenue instead of becoming narcissistic over being unattractive but "enlightened" (as though life is an RPG and you have to specialize)? I don't encourage anyone to work out, don't try to convince anyone. It's all self contained. I don't see how you can sell that as amoral to me without being hypocritical by condemning me, thereby placing themselves above me.
>>
>>85291506
Read the book, cuck.
>>
>>85292814
I got /fit/ but remained a sensitive escapist. It didn't really change my personality like I hoped and I still don't like being alive. I just learned some self discipline
>>
>>85292904
You said working out is inherently narcissistic, regardless of the reasons, simply because it also feels good.
This is objectively stupid

>>85292943
Not really. There's no reason not to be stronger if you can be, since it aids every day life unless you're completely sedentary.
>>
>>85292981
Obviously his advice should be taken with a grain of salt, but that doesnt mean did didnt have any good points.
>>
>>85292937
I started working construction this year and most ~35 year old workers who did construction for at least a few years have to lift 300lbs bags of concrete overhead regularly. They have no problem doing it.
>>
>>85291859
>choosing a life of self improvement is just wasting your time on shit that isnt going to last very long. its literally jerking off over yourself.
Except taking care or yourself can last you the rest of your life and extend health and life quality
>>
>>85292943
>you should probably be spending most of your time running rather than lifting.
This is a retarded meme
>>
>>85293037
Lol no it doesnt, a 21st century first worlder rarely has to carry anything heavier than a folding chair. Being able to walk long distances is much more important.
>>
>>85293098
cardiovascular health > having big muscles
>>
>>85292904

>You said

Oh no, that wasn't me, sorry.
>>
>>85291859
People who unironically say
"I don't want to live to 100 anyway XD"
need to be shot.
What those fat wastes of space don't get is that their early death won't be a simple heart attack and that's it. It's going to be months, if not years, of pain and humiliation
>>
>>85293050
Even mark ripptoe admitted that lifting deligently will majorly fuck up your skeletal system when you get older, im only 18 and ive already gotten a dislocated shoulder from benching and that causes permanent damage.
>>
>>85291506
A strong body is strong for a purpose. The point was that men aren't supposed to be kendolls who keep themselves mint in box.

If you want to be strong, then what you really want is to beat the shit out of other people and break things. Growing muscles by doing this is incidental. They come second to their purpose.
>>
>>85293104
> a 21st century first worlder rarely has to carry anything heavier than a folding chair.
You'd be amazed at how many people injure themselves with basic tasks because they have all the muscle of a dried twig.
>Being able to walk long distances is much more important.
Sounds like a good reason to do Squats then
>>
File: 1499569829120.jpg (38KB, 361x354px) Image search: [Google]
1499569829120.jpg
38KB, 361x354px
>>85293046
You're either full of shit or you're claiming that an average construction worker can compete with Olympic athletes.
>>
>>85293138
By 80 your brain will probably be notably deteriorating, i dont want to live to the point where im not me anymore.
>>
>>85291859
I don't get it. How can you encourage a life of hedonism but demonize masturbation at the same time? What's more hedonistic than the sexual? If self improvement is fleeting and therefore not worth doing, so is literally anything else.
>>
>>85293177
Both of those things require only a normal amount of muscle. You need to exercise but 'lifting' is not neccesary to be healthy and useful.
>>
>>85293268
Obviously he meant it in the figurative sense, and he was just making a remark, not 'demonizing' anything.
>>
>>85292554
>was it supposed to be ironic?
Yes. He's supposed to be a major contradiction.
"Is that what a man looks like?" - Yet, "I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck."
He preaches we're all the same type of scum, while being treated like a God.
He says, "We're raised to believe we'll be rock stars and movies Gods, but we won't," to a bunch of rock stars and movie gods.
His philosophy is meant to be unsustainable, hense the towers falling at the end.
>>
>>85291654
>>85291695
you mean like a pimp

noone else ever wore that kind of stuff

not in the 90s. but how would you know, you were toddlers at best that time
>>
>>85292554
The irony is the point; Tyler is not real, the same as the CK imagery.
>>
>>85291506
Said by a living Adonis who was paid 17 million dollars to do this film. I mean,I still like it,but I hate people who are obsessed with it and don't understand the irony of idolizing a movie character.
>>
>>85293206
He is full of shit. Concrete usually comes in 80lb bags. OSHA rules tell you that if you are lifting anything over 50lbs you should get somebody to help. If your boss makes you lift 300 lb things over your head you could sue them.

That is not to say people follow the guidelines, I have lifted ~200 lb things when I did construction. But not over my head
>>
>>85293361
The twist wasn't meant to invalidate everything he said though, that would be retarded. It just provides new context and makes us reconsider its extremism.
>>
how old was brad during the filmimg of this film
>>
File: 1427578485257.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1427578485257.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
You have to self destruct and pick up the pieces to be a real disciplined person which creates a better outcome instead of living a playing pretend boastful self improvement persona with no merit or value behind it beyond the goal other then gratification and embellishment of the self as the highest priority.
>>
Be yourself but not at the cost of others.
>>
>>85292937
I can knock you out, if that's what you're asking. Overly buff guys are just the other aspect of nu-male-ism.
>>
>>85293272
>Both of those things require only a normal amount of muscle.
That you don't get with the normal 21st century life
>You need to exercise but 'lifting' is not neccesary to be healthy and useful.
If you don't use your muscles in every day life, yes it is. You've been memed, my friend.
>>
>>85293570
>I can beat you up because because I swim
>>
>>85293540
I could see this being the case for recovering drug addicts, people who lost loved ones and all that, and the experienced gained conquering those demons. But if you're seeking those behaviors to be self destructive on purpose, I don't see how that's any different from working out. Seems like something you have to be unaware of to gain anything from it.
>>
File: 1494109242131.jpg (51KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
1494109242131.jpg
51KB, 600x350px
>>85293570
>Overly buff guys are just the other aspect of nu-male-ism.
Which chad took your waifu, anon?
>>
read the introduction to "convict conditioning" to learn why lifting is for stupid people and calisthenics is superior
>>
>>85291581
That sounds like something that might have happened in Survivor. I know the main character gets buff there, so they can parade him around the media.
>>
File: to the crossfitmobile.gif (2MB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
to the crossfitmobile.gif
2MB, 360x360px
>>85293736
Kindly take your cult shit elsewhere
>>
>>85291581
>Palahniuk is an edgelord

This, he once wrote a short story that's literally just the main character masturbating in increasingly dangerous ways until he almost kills himself in the most disgusting way imaginable.
>>
>>85293693
You should consider reading books or picking up chess along with your homoerotic gym practice, pham, because it seems it's dumbing you down too.

>>85293730
None. I'm good. I'm not the one that has the I-got-bullied complex written that hard all over me.
>>
>>85293502
>The twist wasn't meant to invalidate everything he said though, that would be retarded. It just provides new context and makes us reconsider its extremism.
Good point. I appreciate your perspective.
But from my perspective, it seems like the author had a laymans interpretation of Nietzsche and one of his themes was that his way of life wouldn't work. With that being said, I don't think they did a good job at conveying that point and made his ways seem really attractive even with the ending,
Could be wrong, but that's what I see when I watch the film.
>>
>>85293771
I wasn't talking about crossfit but bodyweight training you absolute retard
>>
>>85293022
That's how it started with me, I'll be honest it took a few years for me to get out of my comfort zone and start making more significant changes. The discipline is a good start the rest has to follow on that base.

I'm still no alpha male, probably never will be but I'm so much more then I ever was and I'm happy.
>>
>>85293787
>n-n-u male!
>I could totally beat them in a fight
>Didn't get bullied
Not making a convincing case, m8
>>
>>85293784
it's a good story
>>
>>85293450
Especially when Durden gives his speech complaining about hollywood stars.
>>
>>85293784
Relatable
>>
>>85293787
People who say this never read or play chess themselves.
>>
>>85293805
Enjoy your diminishing returns because you're too proud and arrogant to go to the gym
>>
>>85293784
Come on, that's a bit reductive. Guts is a great short story.
>>
File: 1429737157681.jpg (56KB, 440x394px) Image search: [Google]
1429737157681.jpg
56KB, 440x394px
>>85291506
It's pretty obvious you brainlet, he means that with every fap you improve yourself
I hope you're baiting
>>
>>85293830
That's because I don't intend to, you dumb cuckhold. I have nothing to prove to a faggot like you.
>>
>>85291506
> implying self improvement isn't also self destructive
>>
>>85293787
you know, people who go around judging other guys are usually the most insecure of them all
>>
>>85293867
I do both though.You must live in a shithole if that's the people you encounter. If you want a rec, I suggest you try War and Peace.
>>
>>85293926
Lol. That's why I'm not going around doing it but do it online, anonymously, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>85293893
Yet here you are, trying desperately to get the last word in and trying to get cyber credibility on an image board made distinct by anonymity.
Pretty sad, honestly.
>>
File: 1489710658155.jpg (102KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1489710658155.jpg
102KB, 540x540px
Palahniuk is also a flaming homosexual if i recall correctly

why would anyone follow a degenerate?
>>
>>85293676
Can you explain to me how hunter gatherers used their upper body strength more than us on a regular basis?

Walking was and always will be the important thing, arms are useless if you cant get around.
>>
>>85293927
>War and Peace
That's like somebody who goes around trumpeting about how they're a film buff suggesting 2001.
>>
>>85293927
Nobody has ever really read war and peace either, good job
>>
>>85293799
I think of the movie as one big 'makes you think', it doesnt have one clear message at all.
>>
>>85293969
whats the difference
>>
>>85293927
>war and peace
wow impressive taste m8 you must be cultured
>>
>>85294021
That movie sucked my balls.
>>
>>85293972
Lol. Keep projecting, you clown. I have nothing to do today and come here to chill and insult idiots like you. What's your excuse?

>>85294021
>>85294082
That is something only someone who hasn't read it would say. Time to stop posting, buddy.

>>85294062
Lol. Fucking retard.

>>85294071
The difference is that you are a butthurt beta numale who goes off to masturbate to gympics of other men.
>>
>>85294001
>used their upper body strength more than us on a regular basis
Slinging rocks and spears
>>
>>85294001
The obvious way? When hunting. Try chucking a couple of spears without any upper-body strength. Not only will you be worse at throwing them precisely but any hit would also be weaker, which would mean that the animal might escape with a wound that won't allow you to just wait until it bleeds out.
>>
>>85294001
Throwing spears, probably. Also carrying around animals they just killed.
>>
>>85294001
>Can you explain to me how hunter gatherers used their upper body strength more than us on a regular basis?

Are you serious?
By carrying shit, by walking more than we do, by doing manual labour more than we do and being out in nature in general.
You are aware that you have to use your upper body strength for walking upright, right?
>>
>>85294168
At most theyd do that like once a day, and there is very little resistance in throwing a spear.
>>
>>85293046
Bags of concrete weigh like 50lbs you mong
>>
>>85294214
What would they even carry lol, they didnt have packs or anything for a long time

A stick is not heavy and it would be retarded to drag an animal through dirt when you can just eat it where you are or not very far away
>>
he's the bad guy and you're not meant to take him seriously
>>
>>85292722

The reason people work out isn't for health reasons and the body people aim most of the time is not the healthy kind.

The reality is that just you could use your body to do creative or just fun stuff and get many of the health benefits you get from lifting. Like you can look up a local woodworking hobby shop in you local area and try to build something. You'll move tons of stuff around, you'll solve problems, you'll meet people and so on. But that's not what people do. They want to have giant biceps and look shredded. So they go to gyms, put on some music and lift heavy things with no other goal than to look slightly better.
>>
>>85293855
>Oh look,it's stars poking fun at themselves while they earn a yearly budget of a medium sized town
>>
>>85293163
So you trust Mark Ripptoe's completely subjective/anecdotal statement over years of exercise science and health studies proving resistance training/liftings effectiveness? And because of one instance of you fucking your shit up, lifting is now bad for you?
>>85293126
Ok, now your just repeating memes if not outright baiting. You can literally google tons of evidence bolstered by even more science debunking this meme.
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2010/08/being-endurance-athlete-doesnt-mean-you.html
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2011/02/run-and-youll-only-die-tired-logic.html
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/12/run-and-youll-only-die-tired-logic-part.html
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2011/02/run-and-youll-only-die-tired-evidence.html
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2011/03/run-and-youll-only-die-tired-evidence.html
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2011/03/run-and-youll-only-die-tired-evidence_23.html
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2011/04/run-and-youll-only-die-tired-science.html
http://www.fitnessandpower.com/fitness-and-health/10-reasons-lifting-is-better-than-cardio
https://leeboycetraining.com/unapologetically-debunking-the-top-7-exercise-myths/
On top of that lifting/resistance training grant both anaerobic and aerobic benefits, so it's not just some simplistic choice between one or the other. Lifting does far more for both your body and health than just straight cardio
>>
>>85293046
>300lb bags

If your boss asks you to lift 300lb anything on your own you can and should sue the shit out of them.
>>
>>85294466
>What would they even carry lol
Kids? Weapons? Cloths and blankets? Food for longer marches or on the way back to camp? Are you being dense here?

Also, nice how you ignored the rest of the suggestions I gave you.
>>
>>85294720
Lmao are you that guy on fit who posted the anti-nofap copypasta 10 times a day
>>
>DUDE EVERYTHING SUCKS IM COOL LMAO
>DUDE STOP IDOLIZING OTHER PEOPLE LMAO
>"Bro check out my red leather jacket, doesnt it look like Tyler Durdens? lol XD"
As soon as you realize this movie and its philosophy exist only to entertain the mindset of edgy 14 year olds failing their Geometry class, the better off you will be.
>>
>>85294778
>admitting to being on /fit/ all day long

Just rope yourself, NEET
>>
>>85293987
This desu also cute doggo
>>
>>85294805
why did you fail geometry class anon? it's easy shit

not saying that I was a good student, I nearly failed on lots of stuff like chemistry etc
>>
>>85294766
They were retarded "walking more" is literally what I was advocating and "hard work" doesnt even refer to anything.

Nothing you mentioned is remotely heavy except for kids and that only goes for women, who wouldnt be walking all day.
>>
>>85291578
Yea but if i stay all doing watching pornhub eating doritos LITERALLY masturbating.
How is that better?.
>>
>>85294854
I didnt fail Geometry but when I think back on it that SOHCATOA shit was impossible
>>
>>85294828
I used to but I got tired of it, and im literally at my job right now.
>>
>>85294896
Its better because you would be following the ideals and mindset of a fictional movie character played by an actor who was paid incredibly to preach those ideals
>le in Tyler we trust XD :))
>>
>>85291763

This.

The point of OP isn't "don't masturbate", it's "try to be aware of what you do and why you do it".

They're all fit as fuck.

Self-improvement IS masturbation, and there's nothing wrong with that; just don't dellude yourself.
>>
>>85294856
I'm sorry but I give up. You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>85295045
Nice meme
>>
>>85291506

He's just saying random words that sound cool, just words, words words with no real meaning.
>>
>>85291763
>>85295043
Holy shit he was referring to a gucci or versace add in that scene. It's about working out for looks and for vanity before actual practical purpose.

Are you guys fucking dense or retarded?
>>
>>85295070
Your life is a meme, you retarded autist
>>
>>85294778
You mean do I post actual science in a one type of a constantly shitposted thread? Sure. I've also posted in the constant vegan/anti-animal product shitposted threads and posted in two with retarded milk memes there today, you gonna "lmao" about that too? You're probably one of the spammers from reddit that reposts that crap constantly anyway.
>>
>>85295142
Wew lad sorry for disagreeing with you and not instantly changing my mind because you presented a few flimsy assertions without evidence
>>
>>85291763
It's not healthy, since gym rats usually have a hard time going up a flight of stairs.
>>
>>85295214
>CHAOS AND PAIN
>actual science

Lmao
>>
>>85295257
No man, your level of retardation goes way beyond that. If you don't realize that so many ppl in the western world have physical health and spine issues because they don't walk around enough, sit around all day and don't do all those tasks our ancestors had to do so much on a daily basis like to reach to the ground, carry stuff and run and -before all- walk, then you really deserve the trophy for helpless autist.
>>
>>85295366
My whole point was that walking is way more useful and important than lifting, you're the autist if you couldnt comprehend that.
>>
Do people still don't get that Tyler is meant to be hypocritical?
>>
>>85295412
>hypocrites never make any good points
>>
>>85295401
Ah ok, I missed that in the initial post of you that I quoted... Maybe those 50 hours of no sleep are actually taking their toll by now.
No hard feelings, muchacho.
>>
>>85295534
Kill yourself underage faggot
>>
>>85291506
he's talking about the shallow Chads and wannabe Chads who spend all their time in the gym to stroke off to their own egos.

> "So if i sat around all day eating cheetos and drinking mnt dew thats better?"

and you would have a point, if that was Fight Club and Project Mayhem about
>>
>>85295293
If don't like what I posted because you're to lazy to read and it hurts your feelings maybe you should've donew hat I also posted, used Google; and done your own research yourself before shitposting more memes at people that actually know what they're talking about
>>
>>85295591
If i didnt read it how would it hurt my feelings lmao

You know that no one reads it because thats the whole point, you post links to endless walls of texts so you can pretend to have actual facts backing you up and no one can disprove it because no one wants to read hundreds of pages worth of bullshit for a 4chan argument.

If you actually want people to listen to you pick like one solid link, you fucking retard.
>>
>>85295587
Go fuck your sister, shitstain
>>
He doesn't say that masturbation is bad. What's "bad" anyway when you talk about way of living?
Life has very little meaning aside from the one you give it.
So there's no real difference between people who improve themselves and those who indulge in self destruction. Tyler is just a healthy reality check that it's all for nothing ultimately and there's no point to treat this game seriously.
There's something buddhist about him surprisingly. He realises that happiness is not gained through materialistic things and decides to just stop giving a fuck.
>>
>>85291578
>$500k/hr
What fucking job pays .5 mil per hour?
>>
>>85295534
His whole point is fucking retarded
>>
>>85291506
He meant: get /fit/ trough fights>>>get /fit/ on the gym
>>
>>85292554
Yeah it always bothered me too. I always thought probably Brad's pic was on that CK ad, if not for CK then equally probably just be in the spot
>>
>>85293046

They don't make concrete bags that heavy.
>>
>>85294896
Giving to your primal desires is absolutely bad, because you were given the gift of being fucking evolved and with the ability to produce a unique live, so just eating, or just fucking, or just masturbating all day every day is degeneracy of your life.
It's the same as flies that stick to those shitty killing ligthnings.
Being pleased with masturbation doesn't mean you SHOULD do it every day all the time.

At the same time, being fit and rich because it was pressed on to your mind that that is the actual way of being happy, is also wrong, if not more.

Maybe you do need/should/want to masturbate all day, maybe you do need to be fit and rich. The point that matter is WHY you are doing it. It is a personal choice, and as such, you accept every responsability and possible unfulfillment as it is, with dignity and your head up, even if your life turns to shit?? Then that is the perfect choice.
Don't blame "primal instincts" or "social preassure" for your shitty life.
Excuse the bad english.
>>
>>85295714
>If i didnt read it how would it hurt my feelings lmao
Even if you don't clearly must because you keep responding with these retarded shitposts instead of admitting how retarded you are and just conceeding
>You know that no one reads it because thats the whole point
There's a space on the site that clearly shows posters do read it or at least take a look.
>you post links to endless walls of texts
And you don't read or bother to do basic research or Google at all
>you can pretend to have actual facts backing you up
You again being to lazy to read doen't mean I'm pretending. Again if your this assblasted about it do your own research yourself before spouting bullshit
>and no one can disprove it because no one wants to read hundreds of pages worth of bullshit for a 4chan argument.
No, you can't disprove it because you don't have arguments, you have memes and constant shitposts and when those fail you resort to even more shitposting and posts like these.
>If you actually want people to listen to you
pick like one solid link, you fucking retard.
I've picked multiple solid links, you fucking retard. And if people besides you are too lazy to read as well they can look it up like you should've too. I don't particularly care if anyone "listens to me" or not because that doesn't make anything I posted wrong, and especially doesn't prove your recyclied shit arguments prove me wrong either
>>
While I agree that self improvement can be...what's the exact word Tyler wanted to avoid? Bourgeois?

I disagree with op or many people ITT both pro or against body building, that body building is always a self improvement.

You or Tyler can also commit self destruction by being a "gym freak"

In this sense Tyler's view on body is quite conservative. What he did and preached was obvious. Don't be a bourgeois. Be an anarchist. Use your brain and muscles to build house or paint or do things that conservative people think are practical. Don't grow unnecessary muscles.

body building on the other hand can be quite self destructive and it can be more aimless, more resistant and more non-masturbatory than anarchy.
>>
>>85291506

the funny thing is masturbation is literally good for you and if you don't do it frequently it increases your chances of prostate cancer, so he's right, both improve your health
>>
File: chocolate milkshake.jpg (88KB, 550x825px) Image search: [Google]
chocolate milkshake.jpg
88KB, 550x825px
>>85291506
I work out not because of how others will see me, but how I feel. When you lift weights you gain muscle that's functional in daily life even if you don't do anything. Everything from walking, sitting feels completely different if you're fat or fit. I've been both. Although I still have 2 cheat days a week where I eat absolutely anything I want.
>>
>>85296463
Lmao
>>
>>85296429
How about, be fit and rich, not because I am brainwashed, but because I choose to?
>>
>>85296664
The funny thing is if Tyler wants people to self destruct then there is nothing wrong with masturbation.
>>
>>85296749
As I say, then that's fine and your life will gain meaning, at least to you and at least while you are still in anon-level.

Be advise, that the more rich and fit you get, the more you will enter the game and world with people that may not be as deep as you, and you may find a shallow live in everyone around you.
If that happen, in any point in the future (you may be the lucky one) remember that noone put you in that position but yourself. Because you will be tempted to say that "this life is actually shallow and everyone around me is an idiot/money digging/backstabing scum, society is to blame for this!" but no.
>>
>>85296741
I'll take that as your concession, memeposting dumbass
>>
>>85297078
None of that was an argument lmao
>>
>>85293784
fucking had to stop reading at the pool one
>>
>>85292116

Strength for what? We arent cavemen anymore you autist
>>
So uh.. who else here actually loves this movie? It's a fun flick.
>>
>>85298111
I hope somebody breaks your face some time, maybe then you get a hint.
>>
>>85294137
keked irl at your life, and im not even the anons you were having arguments with

only an insecure memester would go on a forum seeking approval ))

i thought you were baiting in the beginning. Jesus Christ man, get a fucking life
>>
>>85291742
Or maybe they feel like shit because normies crap on them their entire lives.
>>
>>85294137
oh and by the way, i did swimming for 2 years, competed, 1:44minutes per 100m, and when i picked up boxing, i got borked by 17 year olds who were training for more than half a year, _entirely_ different sport.

And suggesting war and peace? You lost a lot of meaning if you didnt read it in russian (im russian, and you cant translate shit like - Boйнa нe любeзнocть, a caмoe гaдкoe дeлo в жизни.
without losing meaning), you're fucking pathetic man ))
>>
>>85294720
>actual science
>blogspot
lellin'
>>
>>85291506
yes
>>
>>85294168
They do that once a day IF THEY HIT the thing they're throwing the spear at, and IF their hit pierce deep enough that the animal passes out within hours.

What, you think spear-throwing is a one-hit-kill on an ox and then that's the day's hunting done?
>>
File: image.png (330KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
330KB, 1136x640px
>>85291859
Self-improvement for the purpose of being a better consumer is meaningless, however building a family and passing on the torch is something worth pursuing.
>>
>>85298490
Stength ≠ ability to fight you dumb faggot.

Show me which machine in your gym teaches you how to not get kicked in the face or choked out.
>>
>>85296658
This
>>
>>85298983
Not that anon, but the gym bag will help. A little today, a little tomorow, and you learn how to throw the punch, and in 2-3 months you'll see how naive/unprepared you were, same thing 2-3 months from that, etc
>>
>>85298983
might not have been the gym bag, meant to say the punching bag
>>
Real self improvement is something more than just a body building, it's working on your life and your character to make you a better person, for your own and other people's gain.
>>
>>85299053
1. 90% of gyms do not have punching bags.
2. If you dont know what you're doing you're going to break your wrist and make shitty technique muscle memory
3. The anon I replied to was talking about strength helping you not get punched in your face
>>
The main character is a crazy man, of course the stuff he says doesn't make much sense.
>>
>>85298568
They feel like shit because they don't care about their health. In this day and age people don't bully people and fat jokes aren't politically correct and people are too scared to make them (besides other fat people)
>>
>>85295284
Oh man.

Former bodybuilder here.... you're absolutely right.

I used to struggle with two flights of stairs constantly when I weight over 90kilos.

I've changed and now when I go to the gym, I see how I used to be. So focused on lifting heavy shit and completely neglecting all other aspects of fitness. When I was at my biggest, I was at my most unhealthy. The concept of cardio for these guys is like five minutes on the treadmill at an easy pace, lol.

Thank god i don't do that shit anymore
>>
>>85298927
lel, I read "return to a simpler life" and knew it was varg
is that a screencap from one of his videos with his name added to it?
>>
>>85299282
this, a French weather presenter got sacked for making a joke about a fat guy not too long ago
>>
File: maxresdefault (9).jpg (127KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (9).jpg
127KB, 1920x1080px
>>85292814
Vegeta is the king of /fit/.
>>
File: image.jpg (114KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114KB, 640x640px
>>85299253
Is he really? I think He understands that there something deeply wrong with our society so he lashes out in order to bring it down.
I really like this quote, that kind of touches on this:
“The real hopeless victims of mental illness are to be found among those who appear to be most normal. Many of them are normal because they are so well adjusted to our mode of existence, because their human voice has been silenced so early in their lives, that they do not even struggle or suffer or develop symptoms as the neurotic does. They are normal not in what may be called the absolute sense of the word; they are normal only in relation to a profoundly abnormal society. Their perfect adjustment to that abnormal society is a measure of their mental sickness. These millions of abnormally normal people, living without fuss in a society to which, if they were fully human beings, they ought not to be adjusted.” -Aldous Huxley
>>
File: ten.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ten.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
>>85299379
king of manlets
>>
>>85291506
this post exemplifies the excluded middle fallacy astonishingly well
>>
>>85291506
It's just Chuck Palahniuk being edgy, you idiot.

Litteraly the Michael Bay of /lit/
>>
File: IMG_20170722_224138.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170722_224138.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>85299179
All those arguments are true (except maybe the 90% one, most gyms ive been to had them), but the first step in anything is to just dive in (maybe head first), and then due to natural progression, people ask around how to do it, maybe buy these things [pic related], or maybe find a trainer, join a boxing/kickboxing class and move forward.

Point is, a gym is a start, a punching back is a plus and your natural inclination towards getting better at something is the catalyst.

Whatever man, memes
>>
>>85299287
It's from this vid of his:
https://youtu.be/bBTaiPuW10U
>>
>>85299394
Sure, you could say his critiques were valid, maybe even say that society enabled his craziness in the first place or whatever, but his whole philosophy and grand plot didn't make much sense.
>>
>>85299578
Again, the guy I was replying to said strength is the same as learning to fight which it's fucking not.
Again, I said go to a boxing gym if you want to learn how to fight. If you're just lifting weights you aint doing shit.
And you probably don't live in NA then because 90% of weight lifting gyms here are for fat normies who are afraid of martial arts.
>>
>>85299283
why are you glad you dont do it anymore? were you feeling better before you started? are you feeling better after you left? you're sure these arent just excuses because you became lazy?

Shit man, you could've just focused more on less heavy shit, but more reps, do a 25-min treadmill/ that stepper thing on a medium pace, keeping the pulse at ~170, feeling sexy..

Im 95kg now, and the only reason im focusing on treadmill/more reps, etc is because i started boxing and you need that stamina.

Otherwise i think you're exagerating
>>
>>85298490

Im not a fucking idiot who gets into fights like a degenerate negro

If you want to protect yourself, carry a gun
>>
>>85299844
>If you want to protect yourself, carry a gun
this
>>
>>85298568
stop being a victim
>>
>>85299844
>>85299885
>Bringing a gun into a confrontation

And what happens when he takes it off you?
>>
>>85300084
that goes double for you
>>
>>85299709
i disagree with some of your points (like lifting weights being "not doing a shit", because it helps man, when you get close and have to land that sideways fist, you better have some strength in your tit or the guy won't go down.

>>85299844
Fighting skills also brings confidence, i dont know why or how, but when you leave the sparring, there's this effect for the rest of the day that makes you calmer and makes it easier to deal with shit (Kind of like how the narrator says that the world's volume slides down - very true)

And a gun is dangerous, especially if you've had a few shots, get in an argument, and when you're drunk it's easy to make a mistake.

Plus if you're close, before you get that gun, a faster memester could land a few hits to the face, and then take the gun. Idk man, buy a gun if you feel like you need it, but join a /boxing/ thing if you wanna feel more confident/know you're not gonna get beaten by some memester who saw a Jet Li movie and feels like he's the shit ))
>>
>>85300106
good point we better disarm the police and the military
>>
>>85299844
>>85299885
what if he has two guns or his gun is bigger
>>
>>85300158
really tickles the pickle
>>
>>85291506
self destruction is also masturbation

masturbation is mainly about the self focus more than anything
>>
>>85298983
>Show me which machine in your gym teaches you how to not get kicked in the face or choked out.
The treadmill :^)
>>
>>85299733
It sounds like he does cardio now, more than he used to. Probably ingesting a shit load less cholesterol too.
>>
>>85300152
the first thing the police does when you approach them to hit them, they grab the gun so you won't take it. (i tried ))
>>
>>85300152
Who are you going to call for backup in such a situation? Your mom?

Apples and oranges. Think before you send your retarded metaphors out into the world.
>>
>>85300313
literally nothing replay lmao, roasted
>>
>>85300216
kek, pretty clever
>>
>>85300292
hmm, really sucks how retaining your weapon is something you can only do after your get your weapon retention license from becoming a cop.

I guess I'll just train my epic ninja skillzzz instead so I can steal the gun from the crackhead who is attacking me. that sounds like a more reasonable plan.
>>
>>85299515
>Chuck Palahniuk
Is a faggot
>>
>>85300477
Dude you cant bring a gun into most bars, or most disco places, or places known for having fights in them. What are you gonna do when a drunk cunt gets in your face? Ask to make an appointment for 5 minutes later when you have a gun?

A gun is ok to have at home in the safe when you're into some heavy business and heavy shit can go down, or just protection from robbers.

For normal day-to-day, a gun is an overkill, it's dangerous, and you can't bring it in places that have the highest chance you might need it to _scare_ somebody.

And lastly, you hit somebody and he goes down, you can just leave. You shoot somebody, and then you have to go through the processes of proving shit, police, lawyers, witnesses, because the gun is _licensed to you_, and they'll find you by it. :/
>>
>>85300640
>licensed to you
lol yuros

guess what my dude if you don't do anything stupid like shooting someone in the back or executing someone on the groud most states let you off with zero consequences in a legit self defense scenario.
>>
>>85300640
You don't fucking go to those places in the first place
>>
>>85300747
Maybe, but you still have to call the cops, have to write statements, have to find witnesses that prove you were in the right. That's a process you dont have to waste time on if you just know how to punch the guy.

And what happens if it was a noisy environment, if you were by yourself, or if you accidentally kill the guy? There's a good chance it will land you in prison :/

Again man, your life, im 25, i've been to prison, it's shit. Cutting a few corners by buying a gun to justify not learning to fight is not worth the increased chance of getting locked up.
>>
>>85293046
what a fucking larper

300lb bags? have you ever stepped foot in a construction site
>>
>>85300810
>not going to a bar or a disco place because they wont let you bring the gun :/
>>
>>85300921
>Cutting a few corners by buying a gun to justify not learning to fight
Yeah I'm sure most people looking to attack you on the street are going to be willing to square off with you in a boxing match lmao.

Here's where your retarded ninja skillz plan falls apart, most people looking to hurt you are going to have a gun of their own or some other weapon, and your muscles aren't shit against someone with even a knife, even a scrawny faggot can get fatal stab wounds off on the biggest bodybuilder in seconds.
>>
>>85299632
>he actually quoted himself
madman
>>
>>85300640
>you might need it to _scare_ somebody.
never pull a gun unless you're going to use it
>>
>>85300921
>There's a good chance it will land you in prison :/
literal yurofags
>>
>>85295954

being warren buffet
>>
File: IMG_20170722_232807.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170722_232807.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>85301080
I dont know what movie world you live in, but im not a stranger to fighting, and i've never had people flying at me with knives or guns, man :/

And here in slavland if a person gets out a knife during a fight, and people _find out_, he's gonna become the region bitch. And guns are mostly used only in robberies.

Talking from experience, i think you're exagerating the threat of an opponent having a gun, and underestimating the use of having fighting skills.
>>
>>85301415
>And guns are mostly used only in robberies.
yeah cause no one ever gets hurt in those
The real dangers are those bar "fights" that are mostly drunk retards yelling and pushing each other am I right?
>>
>>85301194
You guys have no idea what you're talking about, and that's not a bad thing either.

I saw a guy use a gun (in the air) to disperse 15 people that would've killed each other
>>
>>85301509
You've never been in a bar fight, have you? :^) Where bottles are used, and if there's more of them, even drunk peeps can do damage. Or the club ones, where hotheads drunk on cheap vodka jump at you in packs, or just 2 days ago 2 memesters in a bus beat up some 40 year old guy, then hit a woman, then tried to escape via a the window because the driver closed the doors and tried to hold them in till the police came. 30 minutes passed till the cops came.

How would you use a gun in that situation? If somebody in that bus was a boxer, he'd have calmed them down very quickly.

Look man, in the words of tyler durden in the movie se7en, i dont believe you''re not learning to fight because you think it's useless, i think you're trying to prove that it's useless because you dont wanna learn to fight.
>>
It's Buddhism 101 you tards
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatta
>>
>>85301764
>How would you use a gun in that situation?
Shoot them, in the US you would get no repercussions, legitimate self defense.
>You've never been in a bar fight, have you? :^)
I've witnessed plenty, it's mostly drunk retards yelling and pushing each other.

Another thing I have witness is crackheads with guns and knives attacking people, never seen that have you? :^) What are your fists going to do in that situation?
>>
>>85301905
You couldnt've shot them in a bus with other peeps when they're moving around, sec, i'll find the /vid/.

There it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-qi4AB8Jz4

As for the crackheads, you're right - ive never seen crackheads with guns and knives attacking people, but i believe it's such a rare occurence that you're realistically bringing it up just to win this argument :/.

If it's a daily issue for you, by all means get that gun.

At least we can both agree that there's certain situations where you can't do anything with a gun, and situations where fists wont help much, but bottom line is, in 95% of physical conflicts, a gun is an overkill, and a fighting skill will give you the upper hand
>>
>>85302160
>There it is
I see no reason why you couldn't shoot them. plenty of opportunities for a clear shot.

There is no "overkill", if someone is threatening your life or serious injury, you shoot them, period.
>>
>>85296429
is this actual wisdom I'm seeing on /tv/ of all fucking places
>>
>>85302252
I disagree, but this argument isnt going anywhere
>>
>>85296990
I'm neither rich nor fit but still have entered the game and had to deal with people and their duplicity, it makes lazing around all the more preferable
>>
>>85300158
kek
>>
>>85291859
>t. I have never heard of family and legacy
>>
File: bobby.jpg (54KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
bobby.jpg
54KB, 900x900px
>>85293927
>>85294137
Lol is this idiot for real?
>>
Remember guys, if you passed the Rubicon of atheism, and understand that we are bodies rather than in temporary possession of a body, then you could never be truly happy again.
>>
>>85303540
even though I had passed the Rubicon of atheism in my teens, I don't think were just bodies. We are the culmination of generations of our ancestors passing on the torch of life, they live through us, and we are alike they were. Therefore we must forge on and keep the fire going so that we too may, after our passing live through our descendants.
>>
>>85298568
no you retard, every social outcast I've met is a repulsive, hateful person who understandably has no friends and only liked by his close family. There's a reason popular people are popular. Stop stroking your victim complex and blame your failures on others and actually improve yourself.
>>
>>85304563
Social outcasts are often social outcasts due to genetic reasons. They're victims of nature more than anything else.
>>
>>85298511
>seeking approval
Nice projection there, Ivan

>))
Kill yourself.

>get a fucking life
>Telling somebody on a saturday to get a life
Spotted the NEET over here.
You can go fuck right off, you living joke.

>>85298713
>implying War and Peace is the only book there is and that it's pointless to read translations of it.
Lol. Go back to school, you little shit.
>>
>>85304563
>hateful person who understandably has no friends
Ever thought that some of these ppl are hateful because they have no friends, fuckface?
>>
>>85304484
Lol you sure sound like a forever-alone if I ever heard one
>>
>>85292685
Nothing wrong with that
>>
>>85292939
>There are no other ways to get fit than to pointlessly and selfcentered lift shit up.

Go fuck right off, you sorry dipshit.
>>
>>85306388
Not him, but people like you need to be erradicated.
>>
>>85292685

A little narcissism is a good thing
>>
>>85292685
I'm sure sitting on 4chan all day typing out your retarded opinions is the picture of humility
>>
>>85291581
Fucking this. Used to be one of my favorite authors- but I also used to prefer Aliens to Alien...
>>
>>85293767
Whatever happened to the Survivor movie?
>>
>>85305281
>Social outcasts are a victim of nature
>Hurr society is a natural state and not an ongoing struggle and clusterfuck trying to sort itself out

You are a fucking little dog if you actually believe this. Fuck off back to raddit or facebook or where ever else you inform yourself about the dominant opinion you can adapt and agree to.
>>
File: fight-club-video.jpg (124KB, 620x375px) Image search: [Google]
fight-club-video.jpg
124KB, 620x375px
>>85291506
You realize that Tyler was the bad guy right?
If you agreed with what he said, you're either retarded or 16.
It's pretty blatant in the book and the movie that you're supposed to see how terrible Tyler is.
Why are all of you such autists?
>>
If self improvement is masturbation, then by analogy self destruction would be repression, and improving the world would be sex.
>>
File: 14654.png (496KB, 598x465px) Image search: [Google]
14654.png
496KB, 598x465px
>>85306817
he was a Mr. Hyde of sorts but he wasn't "bad", just a misfit
>>
>>85307088
No, he was clearly shown to be a horrid person in both mediums. He was literally the MC's outrage at his shitty life lashing out at everything without thinking.
>>
>>85294720
>>85295293
>>85295714
Just read all of these links and can confirm that they use real science and studies.

CHAOS and PAIN is the GOAT by the way. Severely underrated.
>>
>>85307155
>>85306817
Yeah he was a manipulative and spiteful, mentally unhinged yada yada... But all of this rage stemmed from the fact that he(we) live in a profoundly unhealthy society and it's human to want to fight back. see >>85299394
Sure the way Tyler did it was unfocused and reactionary, but it's better than to offer no resistance and become a bugman toiling away and buying ikea furniture.
>>
File: image.jpg (177KB, 798x1162px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177KB, 798x1162px
>>85308025
Forgot pic
>>
>>85296429
nice
>>
>>85291506
He was wrong idiot
>>
best thread on /tv/ in a while
Fight Club is one of my favorite movies
come at me
Thread posts: 256
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.