[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished The Next Generation, so what should I watch next?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: TNG_crew.jpg (54KB, 500x326px)
TNG_crew.jpg
54KB, 500x326px
I just finished The Next Generation, so what should I watch next?

Are the movies any good?
>>
>>85151830
DS9
No
>>
Movies are pretty much extended episodes, except for nemesis which takes quite a turn from the series but is genuinely the best movie of all the trek movies.

DS9 is pretty much the best modern trek show though, so definitely check it out.
>>
>>85151830
Voyager
>>
>>85152092
I feel like this is a joke post because doesn't everyone consider Nemesis to be bad and DS9 to be worse
>>
>>85152353
No everyone doesn't, when nemesis came out, no one liked it because it killed off data, to be instantly replaced by b4 and they added an entirely new aspect to the romulans that had never existed before. That said, it was the best trek film, best acting, best scenes and beat themes.
Deep space nine was the best trek because it departed from the episodic alien of the week structure of tng in favour of something more modern while stating true to the universe created in tng. Voyager had shoddy writing and all prequels that followed all tried to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>85152353
>DS9 to be worse

It's literally the best series. Nemesis really is shit though
>>
>>85152353
It was a 50/50 troll to draw in the haters and lovers... Nemesis is loathed and DS9 is adored
>>
>>85151830
watch a few seasons of DS9 until they get the Defiant. Then watch First Contact. Then the rest of DS9.
>>
File: Star Trek books.jpg (2MB, 1600x3200px) Image search: [Google]
Star Trek books.jpg
2MB, 1600x3200px
>Are the movies any good?
Why would anybody watch any of TNG's dullest entries in the Star Trek franchise's history? Seriously, each flick following Action Picard and his chad pals from Enterprises D&E as they fight revenge-seeking Khan-lites has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the films’ only consistency has been their lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make scifi into scifantasy, to deliver the franchise into the hands of JJ.

Perhaps the die was cast when Berman vetoed the idea of Frakes directing Nemesis; he made sure the cast's final entry would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable milking of geekdom's sacred cow. The TNG movies might be anti-Roddenberry (or not), but they're certainly the anti-TOS movies in their refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the TNG books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the books are terrible. As I read one, I noticed that every time the author ran out of ideas, they wrote instead another character from another series crossing over to bail them out.

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time a character from a different series appeared in a novel for TNG. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope over 47 times. I was incredulous. The minds of TNG novel authors are so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that they have no other style of writing. Later, I read a lavish, loving review of one such TNG novel by the StarTrek.com official website. They wrote something to the effect of, "If you're still hungry for even more Next Generation, then check out Star Trek/Doctor Who: Assimilation^2, available now at a local LCS store near you." And they were quite right. They were not being ironic. When you read shitty TNG fanfic books, you are, in fact, trained to read shitty TNG fanfic comics.
>>
Do not watch the TNG movies, you'll break your little ships. Generations is passable because it feels exactly like an episode. The other posters are right about DS9 being worthwhile.
>>
>>85152353
>doesn't everyone consider [...] DS9 to be worse[?]
Regardless of whether or not you personally have a negative opinion of DS9, the vast majority of Trek fans on /tv/ have a positive opinion on DS9
>>
>>85151830
Watch DS9 and skip the movies.
>>
>>85152868
goddam ive never seen this pasta variation before
>>
>>85152944
>the vast majority of Trek fans on /tv/ have a positive opinion on DS9
A sign of quality!
/sarcasm
>>
>>85153043
>>>Doesn't everyone think X?
>>No, most people think Y.
>Oh yeah? Well... um... uh... A sign of quality! /sarcasm
Wow, you really showed us.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.