[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I watch a lot of english media but sometimes I just cant und

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: aialiens.jpg (187KB, 598x336px) Image search: [Google]
aialiens.jpg
187KB, 598x336px
I watch a lot of english media but sometimes I just cant understand what they're saying

example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynjOUts1aKo

the 2 sentences cruise says at 0:50

why is that?

if you already know what he says its crystal clear
>>
>>85123781
I would go with the sense of manifest destiny.
Rags to riches rapid rises through the ranks born to deliver us. And the people, they love that sort of thing.

Turned on auto caption and looks pretty accurate but I have no idea what he's talking about.
>>
he enunciated poorly for a few seconds there

unusual for cruise tbqh
>>
it has subtitles. Cruise is just talking about the pitch of a best selling novel the general would do.
Just small talk rubbish
>>
>>85123781
It's a bunch of sayings

Rags to riches(to go from poor to rich)
Rapid rise through the ranks(to be promoted/become someone notable quickly)

You might struggle to understand because without knowing the meaning of the saying, it would sound like meaningless word salad, so you doubt what you heard and have to think to understand it.
>>
>>85123781
so turn subtitles on, what's the problem
>>
>>85124425

do native speakers turn them on?
>>
>>85125452
No,Americans are afraid of subtitles.
I wish I was joking.
>>
Slavshit here. I remember watching Batman (1989) and having no problem understanding everything. While I tried to watch Dark Knight without subtitles, I couldn't understand shit.

Keaton > Bale
Nicholson > Ledger
>>
>>85123781
>I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline

I understand the point of this scene is to set up Cruise's character as a smarmy jackass, in what universe does a major think he can not only talk to a general that way, but flat out refuse an order? Just saying that he declines is grounds for imprisonment.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.