[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of person do you have to be to enjoy a movie like this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (126KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
126KB, 750x750px
What kind of person do you have to be to enjoy a movie like this? I watch movies for entertainment and to disconnect from the real world, and this is pretty much the opposite of entertainment. It's just boring melodrama for over two hours. It's like listening to your girlfriend talk about her shitty ex and their breakup/divorce over and over again.
>>
I agree.
>>
>>85067053
I initiallly had the same reaction as you: 'Wow, this movie is a total debbie downer". After thinking on it some more, and thinking a film (Arrival) that dealt with similar themes, depression and grief, I came to the conclusion that the movie wasn't the problem--I was. I've yet to experience major grief in my life, and so I was unable to empathize with the character or the issues explored in the film. I am probably not the average human being though. I'm young, estranged from family, have no real friends, and generally in a bubble. So to be a charitable as possible, this movie wasn't aimed for someone like me. But I'm sure, some day, when I'm older and the folks that I do know die, then maybe I will 'like it' a bit more.

tl;dr no one watches tragedies/sad movies for entertainment--they watch them for catharsis and to help their own emotional development. It's important to be know how others deal with grief, because it is part of the human condition.
>>
>>85067053
>not caring about your wife's kid's real dad
>>
>>85067053
Because I'm a miserable fuck and I make everyone feel shitty when I'm around them when I don't mean to so I'd rather just stay in my house isolated and drink. When I watch a film like this it's like I have a friend.
>>
>I watch movies for entertainment and to disconnect from the real world

Best movies are the ones that we can relate to it. I can only assume that either you're too young or lack any significant life experiences to actually enjoy this kind of films.

Then again, I personally find non-fiction stories (or alike) more interesting than fictitious ones.
>>
>>85067053
>he doesn't know what melodrama means
>>
>I watch movies for entertainment and to disconnect from the real world,

Why OP? is your life pretty miserable?

> I watch movies for entertainment and to disconnect from the real world,

You don't seem to know what entertainment means. Definition of entertainment: "the action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment." It doesn't mean turn your brain off while you guzzle coke and eat popcorn. Some parts of the film were pretty amusing, and I enjoyed the story about grief so I was entertained.

>It's just boring melodrama for over two hours

Definition of melo-drama: "a sensational dramatic piece with exaggerated characters and exciting events intended to appeal to the emotions".
Wow OP that sounds pretty fucking boring right?

>It's like listening to your girlfriend talk about her shitty ex and their breakup/divorce over and over again.

Got to get those normie credentials in your post so people don't think you're a miserable shut in who doesn't talk to anyone IRL;
>>
Damn that's some pretty bad photoshop on the poster.
>>
It had some good dark humor, loved the family bickering. Sometimes situations go from bad to worse. it wasn't depressing for me. It was a beautiful movie.

if you didn't enjoy it, maybe it was too complex for you.
>>
>>85067053
>I watch movies for entertainment and to disconnect from the real world
Well you have to be someone who watches movies as an art form, not for childish escapist power fantasies.
>>
>>85067053
>jeez some art is so depressing!

that is not an argument
>>
File: 1495635065747s.jpg (8KB, 250x211px) Image search: [Google]
1495635065747s.jpg
8KB, 250x211px
Sounds like the film wasn't for you OP, see you in the next capeshit thread.
>>
>>85067325
>I came to the conclusion that the movie wasn't the problem--I was. I've yet to experience major grief in my life,

That's probably correct. I've known true grief and Casey Affleck puts it perfectly in his acting. It's impressive, riveting, and somewhat therapeutic to watch. I can totally see that it is not for everyone.
>>
I'm guessing you're not entertained by solid acting, beautiful music and pleasing camera shots. It has to be gratuitous violence, gravelly voices and badass one-liners. I blame Tarantino for raising a generation of manchildren unable to appreciate beauty.
>>
Am I the only one who didn't find it boring

it was really entertaining
>>
>>85067053

what are you talking about, this movie was not even depressing. go watch requiem for a dream or leaving las vegas.
>>
>>85067053
have you ever considered that movies can be more than just mindless escapism.
or do you just watch movies for the plot. i'm not even talking about capeshit here. this board is full of discussion on movies by nolan, tarantino, fincher etc. these aren't bad movies they are just entertaining and nothing more. are you really going to walk away from any of these movies and actually have any kind of emotional connection?
>>
>>85072595
Only plebs find this movie boring, it was a well written movie and honestly had some funny moments. Like that part where the kid tries to get him to make small talk with his GF's mom while they bang.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.