[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was there ever a worse time for comedy than 2000-now? What caused

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1500215068742.jpg (76KB, 550x325px) Image search: [Google]
1500215068742.jpg
76KB, 550x325px
Was there ever a worse time for comedy than 2000-now? What caused this almost two decade drought? Is there an end in sight?
>>
(((Their))) plans are moving into the final stages, they aren't even pretending anymore.
>>
Comedy as a format just doesn't work anymore, after you get the obvious shit out of the way. Real humour only works in spontaneous moments with actual people, not recorded and regurgitated shit. Standup is stagnating for the same reason. Improv shows are somewhat different, but good moments don't happen very often.
>>
There's a couple of good movies in that time period, I like Shaun of the dead, hot fuzz, zack and miri, this Is the end and knocked up.

I think studios are less likely to punt on comedy movies because comedy is so subjective and some comedy ages like milk so there'll be no long-tail on their investment 10 years down the line
>>
I blame Judd Apatow. Although he's not affiliated with every movie there there's no goddamn reason for Jonah Hill or that other weird kid from Knocked Up to be on the center of a poster.
>>
>>85020790
this. blame the jews
>>
>>85020523
Step Brothers will stand the test of time. Only one I'm sure about.
>>
Judd Apatow is to blame for this wave of "just improv 16 takes and we'll pick the best one for the film".
It's also somewhat down to Hollywood being overwhelmingly populated by people that have never held any job in the real world and think comedy is a political tool to impress your fellow bleeding heart leftists pals. I hate what comedy has become.
Hot Fuzz was one of the last truly great comedies (The Worlds End was a result of Wright and Pegg being too far up their own arseholes.
>>
>>85020523
>2000-now

Superbad is better than your favorite comedy
>>
Superbad and Juno are kino
>>
>>85020523
I also want to know what happened to make comedy so lowbrow. When you watch the old Marx brothers comedies, they're still funny. Most of this crap isn't funny when it comes out.

>>85020933
That's the thing. Instead of a great script, they thing no talent hacks like Melissa McCarthy and Amy Schumer are talented enough to carry it themselves. I think that "lol so awkward" style of comedy is really played out.
>>
>>85020961
One good film can't redeem an entire shitty era.
>>
>>85020933
I don't think worlds end has anything to do with them being pretentious. It's just crap. Sometimes movies are just crap
>>
I saw this for the first time last month and it's 10/10

It evaporated all my illusions about this just being an issue of nostalgia or perspective, things really are shit now
>>
>>85021203
They stopped focusing on the comedy first and foremost, it was more important for them to make some weird apologia for alcoholic losers. Also, Frost & Pegg swapped roles which was a huge mistake as Frost can make a self interested dullard likeable whereas Pegg simply cannot. Yeah the film wasn't that good, but I believe that to be because they vastly overestimated themselves and moved away from the golden formula.
>>
>>85020961
>>85021004
What's it like to be a 13 year old girl?
>>
>>85020523
>hating on scott pilgrim
>>
i like gerard butler comedies
>>
>>85022571
seek help
>>
File: 1500218778010.jpg (102KB, 500x386px) Image search: [Google]
1500218778010.jpg
102KB, 500x386px
Early "Frat Pack" stuff was solid, even Tropic Thunder in 2008 was good. It's when Apatow took over that things started taking a turn for the worse.
>>
It's all irony's fault.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.