[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just watched this and while I enjoyed it my Patrician mind couldn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: download (1).jpg (8KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
8KB, 300x168px
Just watched this and while I enjoyed it my Patrician mind couldn't make any sense of it, am I supposed to understand it?

Did they ever have an affair? Was the repitition supposed to be a cyclical thing? It seemed like it was jumping between timelines a lot.

Also, any films in the same vein that I should check out?
>>
>>84987028
>couldn't even begin to understand Last Year at Marienbad
>my Patrician mind

Sure thing, kid. Whatever makes you sleep at night.
>>
>>84987028

Trying to make "perfect sense" of any Resnais film is sort of pointless. One of his major themes was memory and how it malleable it can be. Last Year at Marienbad is one of his masterpieces. See Providence and Hiroshima Mon Amour for more of the same
>>
It's all about how things can change. That's really the essence of life. When you get older, clarity increases. This type of film needs accrued wisdom to understand. A young person can never understand it.
>>
>>84987177
Wrong word, I meant to say pleb, admit I'm dumb ect
>>
There's this lady who's staying in a hotel with a man who may or may not be her husband and meets a man whom she may or may not have had an affair with in a hotel that may or may not have been the same one where he may or may not have raped her and her husband may or may nit have shot the both of them which is why what we're seeing may or may not be the afterlife or some sort of purgatory.

It's a movie of very few certainties but there's clearly something off with the palace hotel they're staying in, as if its literally frozen in time. Elegant people in lavishly decorated rooms going through the motions, engaging in repetetive activities... probably some sort of commentary on the eternal ennui of the upper class but taken at face value there's more to it. They're trapped in there.

The husband is sometimes seen playing a game with them only he knows how to win. And there's something not quite human about his facial features, don't you think? Is he the minotaur and the hotel the labyrinth? Or is he Hades and the woman Persephone? Just something to think about.

And did you notice that it has a thing or two in common with The Shining. King probably didn't intend it but Kubrick most certainly did.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.