[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just came out of War for the Planet of the Apes. I liked it.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: warplanetapes.jpg (231KB, 560x830px) Image search: [Google]
warplanetapes.jpg
231KB, 560x830px
Just came out of War for the Planet of the Apes. I liked it.
pros
>Phenomenal Visual effects. Every seen I watched I was wondering how many server farms and how much rendering time it took to make each shot. Beautiful. They lost Special FX Oscar to Interstellar with Dawn. They better win this year.
>Andy Serkis gives his best performance in the series. Really makes you feel for the character. I think the reason he doesn't get nominated is because actors are scared of green screen taking over. I get it but he should at least get recognized.
>Plot keeps you invested and gives a gritty look at the world that pushes beyond Dawn. There also clues that help tie it to the original film that'll be a treat for fans.
>Just a personal thing. I liked the reference to Apocalypse now

cons
>Woody Harrelson pretty much plays himself. You never feel his rage. His performance is almost too restrained. His whole motivation is delivered in exposition. He's just way too calm and not in a menacing way.
>Dat exposition dump. Jesus. At the end of the second act Woody explains everything we need to know about the plot of the movie in one scene. It would have been fine if he displayed his rage, heck give me cheesy overacting but I guess Matt Reeves told him to hold back.
>>
>The movie feels longer than it actually is. I've watched Nolan films that felt shorter. Emotional scenes drag out sometimes. There are at least 3 scenes with close-up character deaths in the movie and they do just that.
>I wish there were more scenes allotted to the human characters in general. The human character are nazi tryhards. I wish there was a bit more nuance. They could have had scenes dedicated to the other humans on the opposing side before the battle went down.
>A little heavy on the nazi, skinhead, nationalist, Christian symbolism.
>I wanted a more philosophical war about how apes are not that different or far off in the genome than humans but what we got was a 'holy war'.

Aside from those things I liked it. It's a solid 7/10. Matt Reeves is clearly a more visual, thematic, 'filmic' director as opposed to Nolan's more tension driven style. If that makes sense. Reeves is a more traditional film-making almost to a fault is what I mean.
>>
I fee like the movie was kinda meh, some moments were really cheesy and too repetitive to care but overall I came out of the theater thinking Caesar was a great character with a lot of depth through the series. Now the movie is mildly growing on me and I'm shilling it among my friends, if you can look past the absurdity of monkeys with guns you are probably gonna enjoy this movie.

also lol at the blatant product placement
>>
File: max-payne.jpg (149KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
max-payne.jpg
149KB, 640x360px
>>84967107

Main monkey's family is killed and he's out for revenge with his monotone tough guy voice.
>>
File: trump-wall-comp.jpg (100KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
trump-wall-comp.jpg
100KB, 1200x630px
>>84967107

That wall will never work!
>>
>>84967114
>I wanted a more philosophical war about how apes are not that different or far off in the genome than humans but what we got was a 'holy war'.
then watch the last movie? they jerked off that concept for the entire fucking running time.
>>
>>84967107
Dawn was a near masterpiece but War is the Dark Knight Rises of this trilogy. Not bad but no where near the greatness of the last flick!!!FACT!!!
>>
>>84967107
>>Woody Harrelson pretty much plays himself. You never feel his rage. His performance is almost too restrained. His whole motivation is delivered in exposition. He's just way too calm and not in a menacing way.

Remember he admonishes Caesar for being too emotional. He explains in his story about how killing his son "cleansed him". So basically he has just shut out all emotions since that incident.
>>
>>84967107
Woody Harrelson tried to hard to be Col. Kurtz. He even had that Marlon Brando slur on his words when he first talks with Caesar.
>>
>>84967114
>Matt Reeves is clearly a more visual, thematic, 'filmic' director

Absolutely. War had some of the most beautiful shots that I've seen this decade. Some of it was a little hamfisted and too black and white, but this was hands down my favorite of the trilogy.
>>
>>84969251
The aerial shot when the soldiers first fight in the woods and the waterfall shot when ceasers son returns were beautiful scenes
>>
>>84969288
I really loved some of the scenes on the beach and the first time we see the quarantine base. Interior of the ski lodge was nice too.
>>
>implying we actually watch movies
>>
>>84969333
>we
Yikes
>>
>Cloverfield
>Let Me In
>Dawn and then War
>The Batman

Is Reeves going to deliver the truest CapeKino that Snyder wishes he could make?
>>
OH NO!!!!!!!!

Why so small?

>>84969743
Yes.
>>
File: kinotime.png (141KB, 480x231px) Image search: [Google]
kinotime.png
141KB, 480x231px
>>84969743
This might be the movie that tops Spider-Man 2
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.