[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>le gritty reboot of beloved and somewhat campy old franchise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 21

File: monkino.jpg (72KB, 960x539px) Image search: [Google]
monkino.jpg
72KB, 960x539px
>le gritty reboot of beloved and somewhat campy old franchise
>they somehow actually make three 9/10 movies in a row

What the hell is going on? How are these so good? And why isn't Hollywood learning anything from these to apply to other, failed reboots like Star Trek, DC movies, etc?
>>
okay what the fuck, I frequent /tv/ but I definitely don't live here

and this must be the twelfth thread in two days, how is this happening, who keeps making these threads and why

why aren't the janitors cleaning this up, what the shit?
>>
>>84953446
I don't frequent /tv/, sorry if this came across as shitposting. I'm genuinely asking.
>>
>>84953373
Story. Good story will always win out. They've told a good story. And Serkis is a god.
>>
>>84954090
Hey if you want to pretend it's any different than Avatar be my guest
>>
How many piano moments where there? meaning two or more characters made slow paced gestures while emotional piano music played in the background? I literally counted it 6 times. 6 fucking times they did it.

when Caesar sees his dead family and comforts his son, when Maurice hands the doll to the child, when the Gorilla gives the child a flower, when the little girl gives Caesar water and food, when the Colonel and Caesar have their final encounter, and when Caesar dies at the end.

I was sick of it the third time they played it. What a clunky fucking movie.
>>
>>84954304
BUT
IT'S ART
>>
it all comes down to production.
>one director with a long term vision
>minimal oversight because nobody thought this would be big
>consistent quality because of a team of dedicated professionals.
>a clear vision for how this trilogy was going to play out

good ingredients make great meals.
>>
>gritty reboot
Did you see Rise, faggot? If you really think that's gritty, you should probably give yourself a .44 caliber lobotomy
>>
First off. I saw this last night at a special thursday showing, and I'm not lying, probably 50 or more percent of the people in the theatre were seniors. Me and my girlfriend are 23 and we had an old couple in front of us and on both sides of us and it smelled like old people.

Second off, people were checking their phones 70 minutes in. It was distracting. The old man sitting beside me fell asleep and I knew when he fell asleep because his breathing changed from quiet to slow and heavy and the old lady in front kept turning around to see who was making so much noise.

Third off, when the movie ended, only 1 group of nerdy highschoolers awkwardly clapped. I felt so embarrassed for them, myself, and everyone around me. They started off clapping so confidently, like they thought they could get everyone else to clap too. Then the old lady on the other side of me was about to start clapping but when she saw no one else was joining along with them she changed her mind. Everyone left the theatre in dead silence.
>>
WE
>>
Apes make everything they are in better.
>>
>>84954132
Avatar is about some white cripple assimilating into a new culture. The new Apes movies are about Caesar as a character, his evolution into a leader and how he forms a new society.

I'm not pretending, you're just an idiot.
>>
It was boring. The Koba flashbacks were unnecessary and cringe worthy. Like they're trying to play Koba up as a comic book villain or something. Andy Serkis acting is so try hard it's almost embarrassing. All the apes act like apes and Caesar over acts with his facial expressions and acts like he's a human. Caesar doesn't even have a one on one fight with the Colonell or anything at the end, he just kills himself, and then all the apes hilariously survives a CGI avalance that conviently kills all the bad guys.
>>
The first one was trash. I could determine that when I was like 13

Are the sequels genuinely good? Or is this just getting shilled?
>>
>>84954521
Three paragraphs and nothing you said has anything to do with the film.
>>
>>84954636
my experience and the people around me say everything about the film.
>>
>>84954671
>this one isolated incident that happened to ME, a nobody, represents the entire film!
>>
>>84954690
t. Matt Reeves
>>
File: 1411186579166.jpg (38KB, 945x835px) Image search: [Google]
1411186579166.jpg
38KB, 945x835px
>>84954521
>Third off, when the movie ended, only 1 group of nerdy highschoolers awkwardly clapped. I felt so embarrassed for them, myself, and everyone around me.
You could have saved them by joining them man
>>
>>84954635
>Are the sequels genuinely good?
No, number 2 just has spectacle ape cgi (which probably looks dated now). The plot is bare. Haven't seen the third.
>>
>>84954635
Elaborate trolling at work. At least this one left out the word "masterpiece".
>>
>>84954714
I wish. Then I'd use Batfleck's script for The Batman
>>
>>84953373
It's technically a reboot, but it has relatively little to do with the original, and is thus, for all practical purposes, an original idea, smuggled into Hollywood under the pretense of it being a Planet of the Apes reboot, like the somewhat infamous Marky Mark one of 2001 was. But really, it's an original story with a few allusions here and there to the original as Easter eggs. Really it's more of an homage than a reboot, as I don't think we're ever going to get a straight-up remake of the story from 1968.
>>
>>84953446
It just came out in burgerland
>>
>>84953446
>>84953515
The movie just came out, Anon
>>
>>84954727
No way, I only clap when I see lightsabres, Darth Vader, and/or AT-STs.
>>
File: 35064709874_da80014610_o.jpg (146KB, 596x699px) Image search: [Google]
35064709874_da80014610_o.jpg
146KB, 596x699px
>>84953373
>Filename.
>>
>>84953373
Marvel and DC fails because they can't fucking pick a demographic

They want their movies to be for adults which is fine since a lot of characters in marvel and dc had their fair share of gritty m rated stories in the 80s 90s and essepecially early 2000s but they also wanna make quipshit for reddit panderers and toys for babies. They can't pick of side.
>>
>>84954521
I'll take "Things that Didn't Happen" for 200
>>
>>84954479
>one director with a long term vision
He didn't do the first movie.
>>
What kind of cuck enjoys these movies?

Who the fuck goes and roots for the chimps????

Someone explain?
>>
>>84954521
Yes and theaters were empty when Wonder Woman premiered, we get it, you like lying on the internet
>>
>>84954304
I'd rather that than a soundtrack filled with classic rock meme tunes.
>>
>>84953373
Dawn>War>Rise

... imo
>>
>>84957610
Seriously, same thing with avatar.
>>
>>84958870
>>84957610
Apeshit was a mistake
>>
>>84953373
Keep it simple. Keep it comfy.

Nice amount of drama but not over the top shit.

Solid performances.

Film shouldn't be rocket science.
>>
I was actually surprised by how decent War was. Trailers made it look like Dawn 2.5, but it was a very different movie. There were some great sets, nice landscape shots, good sound design. Probably the best movie with a budget over $150 million that we're going to see this year.
>>
>>84959308
>Apeshit was a mistake
It's one of the best trilogies of all time
>>
Rise >>>>>> Dawn > War

last two movies are the same boring conflict dragged out for two hours
>>
>>84953373
The reboots are terrible remakes and mediocre movies at best. They lack all of the social commentary of the original films.
>>
>>84953446
This board had AMAs. 4chan is basically is reddit's cottage.
>>
I was hoping caesar was gonna go full big boss mode in this. Instead it was passion of the ape.
>>
I want the nudes + sex vid of Sarah Hyland to be leaked NOW
>>
>>84954479
>trilogy
Nice meme
>>
>>84954521
>clapping at a movie theatre
>>
>>84953373
They aren't good retard. The second one was cliched action movie part after cliched action movie part with cliched characters that are just slightly different than action movie characters from other action movies.

These are in the same vein as capeshit, and certainly no better than mediocre capeshit (i.e., not nearly as good as good capeshit, such as Raimi).
>>
They're good films but 4chin is contrarian as fuck so everyone will say something popular sucks just to fit in
>>
>>84959940
>I'm a contrarian, the post
>>
File: Black-Ape.jpg (18KB, 380x480px) Image search: [Google]
Black-Ape.jpg
18KB, 380x480px
Just got back from seeing Apes with my crew. We roll pretty deep and let me tell you, not a dry seat in the house. The piss was intense. Piss dripping out the seats, piss flowing down the aisles, piss in the popcorn. Piss jets in every direction. I actually shit myself three times, I told the door monkey and he was like "Aww here goes" and we fist bumped. It was all a good vibe. Great night out and if you roll with a chill crew and not a bunch of permavirgin goobers then you'll have a wicked sick time. SLAYED.
>>
>>84960097
The Rock had nothing to do with this movie
>>
File: 1456518734651.gif (371KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1456518734651.gif
371KB, 500x375px
>Go into the film expecting a huge final battle between Caesar and the colonel
>Gets to the climax where Caesar enters the colonel's room and grabs his gun
>Was expecting the colonel to be playing dead so he could get the drop on Caesar
>Instead it turns out he became a victim of the disease that he tried so hard to destroy
>That moment where the colonel just stares at Caesar, begging him to kill him so he doesn't live the rest of his life as a simpleton
>That moment where Caesar finally lets go of his hate and realizes he's not like Koba after all, and decides to spare the man who killed his family
>That lone gunshot when Caesar leaves the room

9/10 film
>>
>>84960273
>decides to spare the man

Not really, Caesar knew he was going to kill himself anyway, so he got a free pass. Felt like the scene was kind of a cop-out because Caesar didn't have to make hard decisions.
>>
File: VICEMAILER_210_vbs.jpg (40KB, 430x250px) Image search: [Google]
VICEMAILER_210_vbs.jpg
40KB, 430x250px
>>84960130
any Planet of the Apes prequel that isn't this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgS0KgT5APc

is pure quip shit
>>
>>84954521

HA you fucking gay cunt anericans and clapping you guys don't literally fucking applaud the end of movies do you? It's not like the director or any of the cast are in the audience so why are you applauding?
>>
>>84953373
how can you actually care about this stupid series? they don't even try to create a carrying plot so there is no series just movies with apes acting like colonial europeans.
>>
>>84953446
Do you want another race baiting thread about a kids movie starring a teenager in blue and red underwear?
>>
>>84953373
>How are these so good?

idek anon, they are all 3 really good though
>>
>>84960371
>>84960273
"ape not kill ape"
>>
>>84953446
obvious shill at this point
>>
>>84953373
oh look, ape movie shill thread #24556321
>>
File: 1499756168817.jpg (76KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1499756168817.jpg
76KB, 1024x1024px
I haven't seen any of these movies because I'm rooting for the fucking humans the whole time, yet the monkeys are going to win. Fuck that, humans all the way.
>>
>>84958591
Pretty much this. War was great. I thought Caesar's death was pretty cheesy though. "At last, we have won the War for the Planet of the Apes" and then he falls over dead.
>>
>>84953446
>he fell for the "4chan is contrarian" meme
>>
>>84958591

This is objectively correct.
>>
>>84963658

The fact that he manages to get travel all the way to Crater Lake before dying makes his death very anti-climatic IMO.
>>
>>84953373
War was 7/10 at best.

Good overall events, but lacked any real engagement. Outside of Bad Ape.
>>
>>84964098

Couldn't agree more. The effects were still great, but the story just couldn't live up to DAWN.
>>
>>84964138
Yeah, I didn't hate it, but it could have hit harder.
I think trying too much to be poignant really hurt it, especially at the end. The moments just pile on top of each other in quick succession and come off very goofy.
>>
File: DSC_0168.jpg (496KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0168.jpg
496KB, 1200x1600px
>there are "people" on /tv/ RIGHT NOW who unironically enjoy the remakes
Disgusting.
>>
>>84964243
Better than those movies
>>
>>84964231
It felt kind of rushed trying to get us caught up to the original movie. Can't help but wonder if this was Reeves' intention, or if the studio told him to take it there so they could do a straight up remake with a new director in a couple of years
>>
>>84964243
Beneath, Conquest, and Battle were absolute shit. Escape wasn't necessarily good, it was just an interesting premise.
>>
>>84964231

I don't hate it either. It was still a good movie, just not as engaging as DAWN was. WAR really doesn't even try to develop the human characters, and as great as the ape characters are, they can't carry an entire movie on their own. They tried to develop the Colonel a bit near the end with the story about his son, but by then it was kind of too late, and it was just a massive exposition dump rather than actual character development.
>>
>>84964288
I didn't mind that they were getting us caught up, I liked the allusions to the Mutants and to the scarecrows and all that, but they all come in like car crashes.

I expected Caesar dying and all, but just wasn't executed well. I have expected a "remake" of the original in this continuity and I am still hopeful of it. Just less so.
>>
>>84964328
>beneath
>absolute shit

>Escape
>"not necessarily good"

Horrifically shit taste.
>>
was anyone else disappointed that when they panned to the sky at the end that they didn't show a light in the sky signifying some kind of space station or shuttle?
>>
>>84964400
It'd be too soon for that.

I was disappointed they didn't pan back down and show some semblance of their new civilization years later - like how Battle ended.
>>
>>84958473
You'll always be a pleb if you keep settling for blockbusters
>>
>>84964400
in 15 years humans (that are almost extint or in certain decadence) build space ships capable of traveling million of light years far
>>
>>84964361
I honestly thought more was going to be made of Nova, but she became a prop for Caesar's morality, which was disappointing.
>>
>>84953373

Can we just take a moment to talk about how ridiculously convenient the end was?

Caesar throws a grenade, which blows about a gas tank, which blows up some ammunition, which causes the entire base to explode, which causes an avalanche, which buries every single human soldier.

It's like a Goldberg machine of convenient events.
>>
>>84953373
the original franchise was gritty too, it was just campy because of the time period it was made
>>
>>84964483
Rise of the Planet of the Apes already hinted that there was a space shuttle about to head out before the plague hit
>>
>>84964495
>tfw the director's cut of Conquest ends with Caesar ordering the execution of all the humans

That would have been great.
>>
>>84964495
The original was campy by 1968 standards tbqh. Not gritty at all
>>
>>84953373
>How are these so good?

The studio doesn't give a shit about the franchise because it's not marketable, so they let the directors do whatever they wanted pretty much. Same thing with Deadpool, Fox basically let Reynolds make his movie because he'd been bugging them about it for years so they gave him some money and told him to shut the fuck up. Then it made $800M and now they're interfering and the sequel(s) will be shit.
>>
>>84953373
>three 9/10 movies
Rise was a 7/10
Dawn was a 9/10
War was a 10/10
>>
>>84964483
hes talking about the ship that was launched in RISE which is supposed to be taylor from the original
>>
>>84960371
He doesn't get away though. The guy he let go free kills him, and would not have been able to kill him if Caesar hadn't gone after the Colonel.

He made the right decision too late and it cost him his life. He got to die happy, but he died because of his need for revenge

Kino
>>
>>84954507
Dawn was a pretty dark movie
War is one of the darkest blockbusters I can remember
>>
File: 234234.jpg (227KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
234234.jpg
227KB, 1920x816px
>>84964525
and how can the monkeys develop technology and society in only 15 years??
>>
File: cockblocked.gif (4MB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
cockblocked.gif
4MB, 204x204px
>>84953373
They were only modestly popular so the creative minds and the corporate minds had the perfect level of checks and balances going on between them. The heart of the franchise wasn't big name celebrity personalities trying to sell it, it was actually a group of talented people passionate about the project and level headed producers who knew how to budget themselves.
>>
>>84964586
Imagine being this pleb
>>
File: 234234.jpg (71KB, 672x480px) Image search: [Google]
234234.jpg
71KB, 672x480px
Also, did Nova dyed her hair black or she was only blonde when she was a kid?
>>
I'm guessing this is just another overrated generic emotionally manipulative blockbuster just like Logan
>>
Why do you plebs rate movies out of 10? It's out of 4, 5 max.
>>
>>84964710
She's just Nova's descendant if anything.
>>
>>84964728
Rise - 1/5
Dawn - 0/5
War - probably a 0/5

Better?
>>
>That moment where the colonel just stares at Caesar, begging him to kill him so he doesn't live the rest of his life as a simpleton
>simpleton

this bugged the fuck out of me, the Col. claimed the virus turns humans into retards but Nova was pretty goddam resourceful and even picked up Ape sign language inside of a week

was the Col. talking out of his ass or just lying to himself to justify killing his son?
>>
>>84964805
Yeah he was lying.
Nova was clearly still cognizant and not "primitive".

I thought they should have just left it as "they have a virus that makes you fucking mute" and it'd still be an understandable motivation.
>>
>>84964787
Why would you continue to watch them if you hate them that much?
>>
>>84964647
have you been watching the fucking franchise

they already have an established society, as for technology they will appropriate what they can from humans and make up shit as they go along

they already master basic rudimentary weapons, various degrees of guns and explosives, and horse riding

they also built fortresses and trenches
>>
>>84964844
Because I'm not a fucking videogame playing pleb that doesn't finish series
>>
>>84964805

It's kind of natural to assume that somebody who can't talk must be retarded.
>>
>>84964805
apes and monkeys are smart enough in primate state to learn basic stuff hence the reason nova could do the same. virus turns apes intelligent and humans into primate
>>
>>84953446
you didn't bitch about BvS
you didn't bitch about Wonder Woman
you didn't bitch about Spiderman
now you're bitching about Ape-kino, implying that there is some sort of shilling going on. fuck you, people enjoy the movie and /or are excited about it. it a board for discussion of film. It came out today.
>>
>>84954521
mmmmmm pasta
>>
Planet > Dawn > Escape > Beneath > Conquest (Director's Cut) > Burton > Rise = War > Battle
>>
>>84964852
yeah you are right with that but I think 15 years is little time to became as we can see them in planet of the apes
>>
>>84964897
I bitched about literally all of those. And now the catalog is flooded with more shit and underage faggots like you
>>
>>84964923
things will speed up once they create a slave labor force
>>
File: tenor.gif (879KB, 344x270px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
879KB, 344x270px
Was this guy in it?
>>
>>84964948
not everybody whom you disagree with is underage
>>
>>84965012
It's your use of the word kino to describe popcorn flicks that lead me to that conclusion
>>
>>84965000
thats maurice. his full monkey name was maurice zaius. he went to monkey college and became a doctor
>>
>>84964710
The little girl named Nova was only respected human when the Apes started their civilization so the name probably became popular for human women in the future.
>>
>>84965069
Bad Ape being a hero of the revolution probably popularized learning how to speak for yourself and vest technology.
>>
File: IMG_3400.jpg (89KB, 1042x746px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3400.jpg
89KB, 1042x746px
This character is the textbook example of how to do a comic relief correctly.
>>
>>84965174
He's also an example of why the overuse of sign language hurt the film
>>
>>84954521
First off. I saw this last night at a special thursday showing, and I'm not lying, probably 50 or more percent of the people in the theatre were seniors. Me and my girlfriend are 23 and we had an old couple in front of us and on both sides of us and it smelled like old people.

Second off, people were checking their phones 70 minutes in. It was distracting. The old man sitting beside me fell asleep and I knew when he fell asleep because his breathing changed from quiet to slow and heavy and the old lady in front kept turning around to see who was making so much noise.

Third off, when the movie ended, only 1 group of nerdy highschoolers awkwardly clapped. I felt so embarrassed for them, myself, and everyone around me. They started off clapping so confidently, like they thought they could get everyone else to clap too. Then the old lady on the other side of me was about to start clapping but when she saw no one else was joining along with them she changed her mind. Everyone left the theatre in dead silence.
>>
>>84965213
I feel like more apes were using sign language in this movie than in Dawn. If Bad Ape's dumbass could speak without the help of an ape society, how come no one other than Caesar could speak
>>
>>84965246
kek I love awkward theater claps, fuck enthusiastic Americans and their giddiness
>>
>>84965174
Everyone was laughing loudly in the cinema in hysterics when this guy was on
Of course most of /tv/ is whinging about him

>>84965280
Apes vocal chords make it difficult for human speech, overtime apes would just prefer to use sign language mostly
>>
>>84965280
Yeah, it felt really awkward and honestly speaking really helped in giving Bad Ape more of a personality.
>>
>>84965280
they all could, or atleast Maurice, Blue Eyes and Koba could, but they didn't want to use the language of their oppressors
>>
>>84965280
Also bad ape obviously was trying to emulate humans because he hadn't interacted with apes in years
Note how he wore clothes?
>>
>>84965174
Exactly that.

You need some comic relief from Cesar drama faces and ape sign speak. It is too much dramatic and it becomes boring because when you realize you are watching cgi monkeys you can't take so much drama serious.
>>
>>84965068
>named after Maurice Evans
>is an orangutan
>only intelligent ape before the vaccine

Yep, Maurice was basically Dr Zaius in this series
>>
>>84965372

Sign language is a human language I must inform you.
>>
>>84965380
I thought he wore clothes because for whatever reason he lost alot of his fur and he was just fucking cold
>>
>>84965413
Maurice is the Lawgiver, not Zaius.

>orangutan
>teaches young apes
>writes down the heralded law of "Ape Shall Not Kill Ape"
>>
>>84965426
Apes irl use a modified simplistic version of it just for them
>>
File: IMG_3401.jpg (32KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3401.jpg
32KB, 512x384px
I LOVE YOU, MAURICE!
>>
>There are people who expect action-packed films out of the Planet of the Apes franchise
That was never the fucking point, and we should all be glad they didn't go in that direction with these new movies.
>>
>>84965531
I also didn't expect something so bland and point of fact in its execution.

This should have been a better version of Battle, instead it was just another Battle with better effects.
>>
>>84965464

But these apes learned sign language from humans.
>>
>>84965569
>A neo-western prison escape movie with talking apes and insane quasi-religious soldiers
>Bland
>Or anything like Battle, which was a post-apocalyptic movie about tribal tension
>>
>>84953373
i wouldn't consider the first one to be a 9/10 - it's the weakest of the 3. It's not even close to bad, but it has enough flaws to me to make it more of a 7/10
>>
>>84953373
>How are these so good?

They aren't. At all
>>
>>84953373
because the people behind the camera aren't hacks.

Matt Reeves is going to save the DCEU.
>>
>>84965615
>both about Caesar's darkest hour
>both about the Mutants/Alpha-Omegas
>both about them both coming into a conflict Caesar neither started nor cared about.
>>
>>84965531
Don't worry the capeshits don't know a good film.
>>
>>84965615
For some reason I got Battle and Dawn mixed.

You're still fucking silly for wanting anything like the last three classic Apes films.
>>
>>84953373
Tim Burton's version with Vietnam-fucking-shit destroyer was superior.
>>
>>84965696
I didn't want something like Battle, I wanted something BETTER than Battle.
>>
>The 1968 script was originally written by Rod Serling

this explains alot
>>
>>84965670

Is Caesar actually in the older films?
>>
>>84965732
Well, you've got three reboot movies and two classic movies that are better than Battle.
>>
>>84965649
Oh so you're a contrarian then?
>>
>>84965710
Of course it was, it had Seimos, the Ape Jesus
>>
>>84965740
In the (not very good) last three movies there's an ape named Caesar who has a similar function, but they're two entirely different characters.
>>
>>84965740
Yes.
Rise is basically a remake of Conquest, much like Dawn and War are both remakes of two different aspects of Battle.

>>84965747
Except War wasn't better, it was just as bad.
>>
>>84965772
>but they're two entirely different characters.

>main character in a prequel saga that leads the start of the revolution and ape society

Yeah, only barely recognizable, sure.
>>
>>84965531
I'm not mad at the movie we got, what I'm mad at is the movie they named and advertised as being primarily being about a war wasn't what I saw at all, except for the first half hour
>>
>>84965777
Jesus christ, would you quit pushing the remake meme? Having a vaguely similar premise does not make these movies remakes of the older ones.

Also, how the fuck was War a bad movie?
>>
I wanted the Jim Cameron proposed version. He wanted a remake/sequel where the altered past from the previous movies created a new starting line for a first movie. The previous series literally rebooted itself into a new series.
>>
>movie keeps focusing on this guy as if he's going to end up helping the apes
>he just ends up literally getting BTFO anyway

LOL
>>
>>84965824
>human characters are underwritten and basically props
>emotional scenes are stacked up on each other and are insanely overwrought
>the climax is basically a car crash of events that needed to happen and aren't fluidly executed at all
>>
>>84953373
>Campy

Stopped right there. What a retarded post. This prequel trilogy sure does separate the brainlet plebs from everyone else.
>>
>>84965807
They are two entirely different characters. You see Caesar fucking DIE in this new movie - you think it's the same guy in the old flicks?

They have a similar function. They do not act that much alike and their thought processes are entirely different.
>>
>>84965876
Of course they're not literally the same character, because it's a damn remake.
>>
>>84965751
>contrarian for not liking some shitty cgi filled remakes

Blow it out your ass
>>
>>84954304
>How many piano moments where there? meaning two or more characters made slow paced gestures while emotional piano music played in the background? I literally counted it 6 times. 6 fucking times they did it.

What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of years ago when I was asked to comment on Planet of the Apes. I went to the IMAX theater and bought and viewed a showing of "War for the Planet of the Apes." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the movie was terrible. As I viewed, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the composer wrote a slow emotional piano tune in the background. I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that music was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous.
>>
>>84965864
yea he was a lil bitch up until the very end

also why the fuck did they call him Preacher, was he the chaplin of the group?
>>
>>84965943
Who the hell knows?
I thought they were going to do something interesting with the Alpha and Omega stuff like the deleted scenes of Battle did, but it just felt like a waste of opportunities.
>>
>>84965867
>human characters are underwritten and basically props
The one main human character sure wasn't. He had a backstory, a motive, and a personality. You could argue whether or not those are any good, but he was a perfectly well functioning character. There were no other main human characters, nor should their be, aside from Nova, who was essentially one of the apes. The movie is about the apes.

>emotional scenes are stacked up on each other and are insanely overwrought
Who would have thought a movie about a talking ape watching his entirely family die/get captured and enslaved by humans - only to be killed himself - would be filled to the brim with emotional scenes?

>the climax is basically a car crash of events that needed to happen and aren't fluidly executed at all
The fuck does this even mean? A 'car crash of events'? The apes escape using an underground tunnel, rescue their young, and the opposing army attacks the base, leading to its destruction. The Colonel's subplot is also resolved in a separate scene with Caesar. It's not hard to follow.
>>
>>84966064
>The apes escape using an underground tunnel, rescue their young, and the opposing army attacks the base, leading to its destruction. The Colonel's subplot is also resolved in a separate scene with Caesar. It's not hard to follow.

I don't mean in that it's hard to follow, I mean the bigger wannabe poignant events all collided with each other and became goofy.
>>
>>84966113
Uh, how? The apes escape, the army attacks, and the Colonel kills himself. They all have seperate scenes dedicated to them and don't interact at all until the conclusion of the climax.
>>
>>84966176
Again, that's not what I meant.
I mean the "poignant" scenes. The ones where the music swells and all drama breaks loose.

A good example is Caesar's run up to the fuel tank with the grenades, then missing, then getting shot, then almost getting killed, then that guy exploding, then the orange gorilla looking all remorseful, then him getting shot in the head in slow-mo...

It's so fucking ridiculous and the music is trying so hard to sell it that it makes it worse.
>>
these ape reboots are fascinating movies. i have literally 0 minutes and 0 seconds of any movies except for whatever is in the trailers, and i still feel as though i know exactly what happens
>>
>>84966250
>This dramatic movie contains too much tension and dramatic music!
Maybe you should stick to your VHS copy of Battle, Anon...
>>
>>84966305
Again, I hate Battle. But this was just as bad.
>>
>>84966250

>Caesar's run up to the fuel tank with the grenades, then missing, then getting shot, then almost getting killed, then that guy exploding, then the orange gorilla looking all remorseful, then him getting shot in the head in slow-mo.

The entire conclusion of the battle just seemed very rushed, and ultra-convenient.
>>
>>84965901
he's right you know
>>
>>84959695
Reddit copied 4chan's culture, but 4chan copied FunnyJunk and SomethingAwful's culture.
>>
File: 1500034844797.jpg (38KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1500034844797.jpg
38KB, 600x600px
>monkino remains consistently high quality for 3 (three) movies
How can other series even compete?
>>
>>84964835
It doesn't matter without speech humans have a hard time expressing abstract thought. Humans are going to be crippled with an endless darkage.
>>
>>84954635
>first one was trash
>I was like 13
Mods?
>>
are you all fucking insane??

They are good movies but what are you talking about?

masterpice? are you insane?

I don't even remember what happened in the toher 2 movies.

Nobody will remember this movie in some years.
>>
>>84966716
The Simian Flu has already taken effect on this poor simpleton's feeble mind.
>>
>>84966699
He's not underage
>>
>>84966699
Anon, I don't know how to tell you this but Rise came out in 2011.
>>
>>84966806
>>84966808
Still, he's probably a newfag anyway.
>>
>>84966270
That only makes the trailers shit for telling everything that happens in the movie in 2 minutes.
>>
>>84953446
yeah, let's not discuss new release. let's just banepost 24/7 like the good old days.
>>
>>84966863
lol le butthurt monkey
>>
>>84967068
Please get off my fucking website.
>>
>>84967099
>my
>>
>>84966639
this franchise has 8 good movies out of 9, that's kind of amazing actually
of course some of them are inferior to others but the burton one was the only one that was genuinely awful
>>
>>84967139
>Burton
>genuinely awful
>over Battle
>>
>>84954952
'merica pls...
>>
>1 white woman in the entire film
>Doesn't take the BAC
>>
File: planetofapes10553.jpg (251KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
planetofapes10553.jpg
251KB, 1920x1080px
>>84965174
I like that the only piece of clothing that made it to the lake was his vest. Like that was the ape's only concept of clothing so they overdid the shit out of it in future generations. Vests are all over the place in the first movie.
>>
Is
>War for the Planet of the Apes (2017) 720p DVDSCR x264
Any good?
>>
>>84953373
First one was kind of weak, but second was great, third seems like it'll be the best.
>>
>>84967976
Is the statue Maurice?
>>
File: Winter.png (886KB, 1097x661px) Image search: [Google]
Winter.png
886KB, 1097x661px
Fuck this piece of shit, I was really happy when he died.
>>
>>84968055
I honestly like War the most. Dawn had some more morally gray area simply because you had both apes and humans as protagonists and antagonists, but War had more "human" moments, even when there were cgi monkeys on screen. It was also beautifully shot. Had some of the best landscape shots I've seen since Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>84968015
If you speak tamil
>>
>>84968159
How long until a decent cam?
>>
Ok I know I'm gonna sound like a total pleb here, but I loved Rise and Dawn, but was a bit let down by this one. Is it weird that I was disappointed by the lack of "war" in War of the Planet of the Apes? I thought there would be more fighting in the movie.

I get that wasn't what they were going for, but the title of the movie and the trailers gave me the impression that the movie was gonna be Apes vs. Humans, instead of Apes looking for a way to escape concentration camp.
>>
>>84964243
Sweet TV. I can see why you wouldn't be able to afford to see the remakes. Stay mad welfare old timer.
>>
Just seen't it.

Two issues:

Overly long prison camp arc between capture and escape

Avalanche killing the invading humans
>>
>>84964923
>yeah you are right with that but I think 15 years is little time to became as we can see them in planet of the apes

Rise/Dawn/War have no continuity connect to the old films. They're a remake borrowing elements from them. Icarus is out there, but likely won't be back shortly after War concludes.
>>
>>84968314
Avalanche killing the invading humans
>not understanding the pottery
>>
>>84968180
Just go see the movie you fucking hermit.
>>
>>84968373
Can't. Third world country.
>>
>>84968511
fucking monkey
>>
>>84968511
Take the risk of getting raped and stabbed to watch apekino.
>>
>>84964243
I used to love them as a kid, but the first one's the only one that is still good. The other's were pretty blatant cashgrabs. Prequels are actually as good as the first one, if not better.
>>
>>84968314
>>84968355
Whole point was Mother Nature punishing them.
>>
I think Rise and Dawn were better than War.

War is still very good though, enjoyed watching it, very tense
>>
Chimps creep me out, they look like deformed humans.
>>
>>84968120
How did he die exactly? Did he choke, heart attack, or neck snap?
>>
>>84964805
I took it as he knew he fucked up with killing his son. Now that it had spread to him he recognized that he was still cognizant, just unable to speak. If he was full on primitive I don't think he'd want to off himself. I don't think creature whose actions are based on instinct above intellect want to off themselves.
>>
>>84968718
Caesar choked him out
>>
>>84953446
>twelfth thread in two days
12 threads in 2 days about a summer blockbuster movie on the board about television and film?

u stupid?
>>
File: 1481001366919.png (313KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481001366919.png
313KB, 400x400px
>>84964493
It's not that far-fetched for all those things to be in a military base, nor is it crazy to have that set off an avalanche.

What is crazy is how the hundreds of soldiers, bunched up together, just rushed straight into the base.
>>
>>84953373
>>le gritty reboot of beloved and somewhat campy old franchise

kill yourself
>>
File: gfshhsfgdhfd.jpg (145KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gfshhsfgdhfd.jpg
145KB, 1280x720px
>Apes survive by climbing back into the trees
>>
>>84969356
They took the high ground!
>>
>>84969356
that was a nice touch
>>
>>84959926
it's an american thing, like circumcision or capuccino potato ships.
>>
>>84968215
yeah you're a pleb
>>
>>84968215
I felt exactly the same way
>>
>>84964493
>I was wondering why the avalanche started. I didn't get that it was because of the explosion.
>>
>>84965907
You got to see War for the Planet of the Apes two years before it was released?
>>
>>84953373
Monkeys.
If they replaced all the apes with humans it would just be another pile of melodramatic bullshit nobody really cares about.
But when you throw monkeys into the mix...
>>
>>84972567
Much of what makes the franchise interesting is that it asks the question of what happens if a lesser species suddenly wakes up to higher intelligence and gains an awareness of their own condition.

So yes, throwing monkeys into the mix literally changes everything.
>>
There's a big problem out there and not knowing how to solve it, we kill each other and wrathful nature closes the deal.

Seems about right. I weep for western civilisation. Not even race baiting. Good movie, a bit long and too melodramatic at moments, but a good movie.
Dawn > War > Rise
>>
>>84972567
Its more about the idea of two sentient species trying to both exist, especially given the power imbalance caused by one of those species waxing and the other waning.
>>
>>84953446
>and this must be the twelfth thread in two days,

That is in no way odd for a blockbuster that just opened. Get your head out of your ass. There's going to be like 30 threads for GoT in a couple of days.
>>
>>84964493
What about nobody noticing hundreds of caged monkeys disappearing from the yard that had spotlights all over the place till the two armies fought each other?
>>
>>84960641
They're all autistic and over-medicated.
>>
I havent watched 3rd one but I know some years back I watched some old planets of the apes on tv and it was with astronauts in an ape planet so it wasnt earth. Who is in the right here? How is it supposed to be?
>>
>>84964586
Replace war with an 8 and that's true.
>>
>>84972567

Monkeys are fun. Deal with it.
>>
>>84954521
Do Yanks really clap at the end of a film? I bet flights with them are fucking unbearable.
>>
Only thing I didn't like was Luca's death.

>gives flower to Nova
>they go check the camp
>dies and gets the flower back

All in the span of what? 5 minutes? Not enough build up, lame.
>>
>>84964923
The original films took place thousands of years in the future tho...
>>
>>84963580
wrong
I haven't seen the thrid one and honestly don't remember much of the first but the second one was how there was a splinter group of savage monkeys and the human settlement was the victim. a group of humans + one or two monkeys were the good guys
Thread posts: 243
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.