[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The remake never stood a chance, did it? Just compare this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: robocop-1600x900-c-default.jpg (140KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
robocop-1600x900-c-default.jpg
140KB, 1600x900px
The remake never stood a chance, did it?

Just compare this shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h16e5Bm2m3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfGCHkHNN_U
>>
>>84922083
I liked the remake if I pretend the original didn't exist. Otherwise, it was a bit too slick and didn't have the grittiness of the original. PG-13 meant it was going to be half-assed and try to fit in with the superhero movie market. The original had a magical mix of horrific absurdity.
>>
>>84922083
I don't really know what the trick with remakes is. Maybe remake something that wasn't very popular to begin with? But no, this never stood a chance.
>>
>>84922555

Even then, I think the remake is just so dull.

It really only has one great scene, the bit where his bodies dismantled.

It is a clever utilization of effects they couldnt have done in the 80s and gets close to a level of gore in the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXOhIJg4B7k
>>
the great thing about the first movie is strangely enough not the concept or the script. I'd rather say it's a question of tone. it's probably one of the most "adult comic"/métal hurlant kind of movies I've ever seen. comically bleak and violent with few pretensions.

I haven't seen the new one but I'm guessing it gets hung up on the cyborg-concept, milking the conflict between his human side and his robot protocols or something
>>
>50 caliber and above
>everyone uses pistol rounds
>>
>>84922938

Its exactly that but it also crowbars in satire
>>
The attention to detail in this scene is great.

https://youtu.be/Xbxjp_XMtfE
>>
>>84922637
only way to remake a movie, if it isn't shot for shot, is to approach it from a completely new angle, so as to avoid comparison. If you can't mine the original for new meaning, or reframe the old story in a new contemporary way, then you shouldn't be remaking it.

If you're remaking a C tier action flick, to make hopefully a B or A tier action flick, then you already missed the fucking point. Go home.

Now, if you saw robocop, and wanted to make a psychological thriller about said cop, you're on to something.
>>
>>84922555
Yeah, it was an okay action flick with corporate commentary. It was fine. But it was a first outing of a documentary maker and a PG13. By the time Verhoeven had made RoboCop, he was experienced in multiple genres.

God I miss that guy so much. If I won the lottery, I'd put it all behind a sci-fi Verhoeven film.
>>
File: 1498513054867.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1498513054867.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>84922083
>that remke shootout

What the fuck did I just watch
>>
>>84923126

PG 13. action and inept direction
>>
>>84922083

I don't get why it was a remake in the first place. It would have been easy to make it a soft reboot by being a sequel about the reprise of the Robocop programme.
>>
>>84922938
>I haven't seen the new one but I'm guessing it gets hung up on the cyborg-concept, milking the conflict between his human side and his robot protocols or something
pretty much, movie starts with robot soldiers in iraq or something. robots are very common and a success, but a law keeps them from operating robot police in the US, so they bypass the law by putting a man inside a machine. initially it is just a sort of cyber prothesis, he keeps full control but they also wanted to sell it as a new groundbreaking product, but during test runs they realize a man in a machine isn't as effective as a pure robot, so they secretly change something where he still thinks he is in control but the robot body actually controls him. at some point he basically faints and the robot body ruthlessly hunts down the mafia boss who tried to murder him and uncovers some corruption among the police. In the end he overcomes the robot and wins
>>
>>84922938
The core of it is a dig at corporate culture and how it corrupts everything.
The whole reason he exists is to get around US robotics laws.
Everything from his relationship to his family, to his body and his own mind, to the prosthetic tech that made him possible, to the anti-robot laws that made him necessary, to the press that shape public opinion, is corrupted by corporate greed.

On this front I actually think it's a more complete criticism than the original.

It's just not made by one of the finest directors of our time.
>>
>>84922083
Stop making this thread you little faggot. Fucking leave robocop alone.
>>
>>84922637
Not always, take Dredd for example. The remake was infinitely superior to the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb4f1xpSu-I
>>
>>84923451

What are you on about?

The first time I have posted a comparison of RoboCop
>>
>>84923499
Why do you consider Dredd a remake? It seems more like another adaptation of the same source material
>>
>>84923581
Fair point. I guess it's not technically a remake.
>>
>>84922083

I'm going to watch the original in 4K, at Vue Cinemas during August. I have seen it many times but only at SD (broadcast tv with adverts) or DVD quality.

This 3:30 embedded clip is all I have seen of the remake, I'm glad I didn't fall for the hype and pay to see any of it. It seems to me to be utter shit.
>>
>>84923688
there was hype for that movie? Most people I remember where shit talking it constantly, but maybe that's because I spend too much time here.
>>
>>84923532
Fuck off you little cunt. The last 3 days ive gotten up ive seen a thread like this. Fuck you, fuck remakes. You're a fucking piece of human garbage. You need to go back.
>>
>>84923745

Sure, everyone here was shitting on it even before any trailers came out but in normalfagland most people I knew were pretty hyped. I think Gary Oldman was a big part of that. Pity they couldn't have gotten excited about Gary Oldman when Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy was out.

Normalfags gonna normal, I suppose.
>>
File: robocop deleted scene.webm (3MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
robocop deleted scene.webm
3MB, 600x338px
It looks real because it was shot with real film and real special effects
>>
>>84923945
I would have never known but I guess he does kind of look like Iron Man in this one, I'm sure that went a long way for them too.
>>
>>84923945
Fuck off normalfag.
>>
>>84924020
What the fuck?
>>
>>84924108

Sure thing, Mr. Edgy.
>>
>>84922083
Paul Verhoeven crated a whole reality for a movie that was only supposed to be about a police robot.
>>
>>84922990
yea sure, it goes for something different than ghost in the shell or ex machina. it kind of reminds me of idiocracy with the whole whacked-out satirical dystopia thing

>>84923383
>In the end he overcomes the robot and wins
this is the kind of optimism that ruins it for me. I like the cyborg concept but it often stops at some sort of "technology without a human element is immoral" when there are way more aspects you can explore. the first one is funny because it makes you believe it's about cyborgs but really it's about militarization and commercialization of the police force. that's what the fourth directive is all about; be wary of commercial interests intervening with law enforcement
>>
>>84924292
Go back redditfag. 90s born queers like you ruined /tv/
>>
>>84924127
lurk more faggot.
>>
>>84924020
how did they got this on youtube?
>>
>>84924455

>Never been to Reddit
>Not born in the 90s

Why do you like failing so much?

Here's your (You)
>>
>>84924587
Dont talk like a fucking nigger.
>>
>>84924705
Reddit spacing faggot, reboot wanting filth, you're definitely 90s born scum.
>>
>>84922742
This, that scene was actually pretty disturbing
>>
>>84924705
only a newfag deals in yous
>>
>>84924820

>reboot wanting filth

(You) clearly have no idea who you're responding to.
>>
>>84924881

no (You)
>>
>>84925026
A young redditfag no doubt.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.