[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dont care about spoilers on episode 9 of season 1 is this hell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9

File: the-leftovers.jpg (96KB, 726x408px) Image search: [Google]
the-leftovers.jpg
96KB, 726x408px
dont care about spoilers on episode 9 of season 1 is this hell like in preacher or are they trying to say a life with out anything meaningful in it is hell itself "jordan peterson"
>>
>>84889808
The show isn't trying to say anything, it's just asking a bunch of questions and telling you to let the mystery be. Retards think that's "deep" for some reason.
>>
>>84889808
No the point is "don't worry about it bro, shit happens"

Stop watching now and you'll save yourself a lot of wasted time
>>
>>84890288
is there no pay off is this another fucking lost cant take another fucking LOST
>>
IT is enough
>>
>>84890336
Yeah its just lost again but they set up less mystery shit so people don't complain as much. But the shit they do introduce isn't explained at all one bit. Its more a message of "shit happens and you need to just move past it"
>>
>>84890243
>its not plot driven so its bad

they established in the first episode that the one confirmed supernatural event of the entire show is to influence the characters emotions and reasoning or lack there of.

it was never about finding out what happened to those that departed but watching how the "leftovers" dealt with the fallout i.e. processed their grief.

even the guilty remnant in all their perceived understanding of the world were just coping.
>>
>>84890696
wtf are u kidding me well just gonna watch episode 10 and drop it

What about the women in the car the tells him if he is ready

what about the truck with the bodies with people in white maybe that was dead cultist

what aabout the "magic " blck man why want his son to be king of the new world w

wtf no pay offf?
>>
>>84890834
no wonder its just 3 season dragging that out would be painful FUCK U LOST but still the could of added and explained and still have the story be what they wanted
>>
>>84890855
>What about the women in the car the tells him if he is ready
Never referenced again
>what about the truck with the bodies with people in white maybe that was dead cultist
The Guilty Remnant most likely did that
>what aabout the "magic " blck man why want his son to be king of the new world w
Not explained, I guess you could infer that he was lying but you can only guess

The departure is not explained one bit, Kevin is brought back from the dead several times and its not explained why, Nora has some weird thing where electronic devices won't work for her, unexplained
>>
>>84890943
wut
>>
>>84890336
It's not LOST
>>84890696
You're a dumbass

LOST was sold on the premise that questions would be answers and mysteries revealed. There was no such promise, ever, from the showrunners for Leftovers. Shit, they basically spelled out there will be no answers.

We still have plenty of evidence to draw our own conclusions.
>>
>>84890834
>the one confirmed supernatural event
How about the lake disappearing just at the moment Kevin was going to kill himself? Kevin being resurrected from the dead I think 4 confirmed times? Nora not being able to use electrical devices at the end? All the future seers thoughout the show?

Fuck off, nothing was explained one bit, not even the initial departure. If the world is going to be so fucking weird they should give some kind of reason. Kevin being Jesus incarnate was retarded as hell and served no purpose to the plot whatsoever other than giving them a device to make shocking moments happen.
>>
>>84891068
Lakes drain. It's called a sinkhole. It's rare-ish but it does happen.

Also Nora had more problems that just electric devices. Any sort of technology tends to stymie her in inconvenient times and ways.
>>
File: mysterybox.jpg (40KB, 600x334px) Image search: [Google]
mysterybox.jpg
40KB, 600x334px
really fucing hate these mystery box shows even more when it doesnt pay off FUCK U jj abrams
>>
>>84891131
Wasn't that Fargo?
>>
>>84891167
Carrie Coon is in both but I am talking about the Leftovers.

In the very last episode it's a door with a busted hinge and old knob that stands in her way.
>>
>>84891068
lake disappearing was confirmed earthquake which was happening in that town a lot. kevin being "resurrected" was confirmed 4 near death experiences. future seers were confirmed bullshit. nora not being able to use electrical devices is confirmed electrical devices sometimes fuck up.

theres a difference between coincidences and supernatural and thats another major point of the whole fucking show. every time something happened that couldnt be immediately explained the characters would instantly begin assuming it was the work of some greater power because of the departure.

this too is explained in the first fucking episode. kevin puts a bagel in that weird conveyor belt toaster thing. he opens it back up to get it and the bagel is gone. he starts losing his shit, ripping open the toaster to find it sitting in the back. it just got jammed.

i cant believe how many people on this board have the balls to watch this show with such superficial interpretations. my 13 year old nephew watched this show and was able to come to these conclusions.
>>
>>84891380
>kevin being "resurrected" was confirmed 4 near death experiences.
dude please, your headcanon sucks. kevin fucking dies the first time he goes, we see it happens. he gets put into the ground.

even if his heart was just stopped the brain has about 5 mins top before serious damage starts. he was out for hours.

>nora not being able to use electrical devices is confirmed electrical devices sometimes fuck up.
it's not just electrical

Stop posting.
>>
>>84891447
poison that mimics death is as old as shakespeare. you are a fucking retard and you need to go back to watching samurai jack
>>
>>84891380
>lake disappearing was confirmed earthquake which was happening in that town a lot

At the exact fucking second Kevin was killing himself? And the water all disappeared in one fucking instant and didn't drain slowly enough to keep him under water for a couple minutes? Bullshit.

>kevin being "resurrected" was confirmed 4 near death experiences

One time he drank poison and was buried underground with no air and came back quite a while later. Next time he was shot and should have bled out. Then he was drowned twice and under water a long enough time that a different guy was confirmed to have been killed by. Shut the fuck up about that not being supernatural.

> future seers were confirmed bullshit

Several of them over the course of the show predicted things that they shouldn't have been able to know

>nora not being able to use electrical devices is confirmed electrical devices sometimes fuck up.

Every single electrical device she interacted with for like an entire week in the show?

Fuck off. How about the "ghosts" knowing information they shouldn't have possibly known? Mary regaining consciousness the day she came to miracle even though she had been in a coma for years? Mary telling Matt the baby had to get to miracle to live? Kevin's multiple personalities he has early in the series when sleepwalking and is never mentioned again? People going to the fucking afterlife? And before you say that is all in Kevin's head there was no way he should have known the old man killed himself, and only dead people were there.

Fuck off there is so much supernatural shit that gets handwaived in this show, if all of this is supposed to be realistic coincidences then the show is shit because of how much it expects you to suspend disbelief.
>>
>>84889808
>jordan peterson
stop watching, this show isn't for brainlets
>>
>>84891601
>Fuck off there is so much supernatural shit that gets handwaived in this show, if all of this is supposed to be realistic coincidences then the show is shit because of how much it expects you to suspend disbelief.
wew
>>
>>84891601
yes. they are coincidences that are hyperbolic to make a point. try using your fucking brain instead of taking everything at face value. the show isnt even difficult to comprehend. youre just salty they didnt tell you why everyone disappeared
>>
>>84889808
ITT retards who can't enjoy the show for what it is without just letting the mystery be
>>
>>84891716
It is unrealistic, and that contradicts where they went with the show. There is no reason for all of these things to be happening, and some of the points like Nora not being able to use devices are introduced for no conceivable reason at all with no payoff or explanation. That is bad writing. They lure you into the show with all these interesting mysterious hooks and do absolutely nothing with any of them. As a character study it is good, but the overall plot is a mess.
>>
>>84891601
Not that guy you're responding to but he's a retard. He's trying to logic everything.

The show has supernatural events. The Departure is just the only one that anon cannot refute, for obvious reasons. It's left open to interpretation.

I really don't think you can take the events of season 2 as coincidences. Season 3 deliberately blurs the lines, but 2 is chock full of the supernatural.
>>
>>84891742
its retards who thought thats what the show was moving towards. they thought they were going to get an answer wrapped up with a bow.
>>
>>84891799
>unironically being a plotfag
>>
>>84891831
Didn't Lindeolf pretty much straight up say you aren't getting answers because everyone bitched at me for Lost from season one though?
>>
>>84891854
this.

capeshit has ruined this board
>>
>>84891799
Storytellers are not obligated to write the story you want to hear. Nora's difficulty with technology is just one of several curious, interesting mysteries, like Kevin's purported resurrections or Matt's communion with God. I found it charming and entertaining; you found it frustrating because you expected more; answers, elaboration, whatever.
>>
>>84891909
Maybe don't call yourself a storyteller if you can't even follow basic storytelling logic then.
>>
File: 1448185692529.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1448185692529.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
ITT: babby's first character driven
>>
>>84891825
That I can deal with. All the retards trying to give logical explanations for all the crazy shit in the show to try and act like the departure was the sole "magical" thing that happens drive me up the wall.

I liked the show for the most part too, but to try to act like there weren't dropped plotlines or supernatural events is just retarded. I can accept no answers being given and it being more about the characters, but the fans of this show are revisionist history fanboys.
>>
>>84891909
I liked the show. I was interacting with some retard who said the departure was the sole supernatural event in the show. Which is absurd.
>>
>>84891982
Some of it could be mere coincidence, some of it could be supernatural, either way it doesn't really matter and anyone honestly expending energy arguing either way is retarded.
>>
>>84891959
Mad Men is a character study and the plot doesn't become a magical world full of fake Jesus' and random plot conveniences.
>>
>opening credits song literally tells you to just let the mystery fucking be
>better sperg out and try so solve the mystery, only to get pissed off they didn't give me all the answers which I would undoubtedly find unsatisfactory and bitch at the show about
>>
>>84892017
Well you said the writing was bad. I must emphatically disagree with that.

But if you liked it, k kewl lol
>>
>>84892046
But that's the only thing left to argue about in regards to this show.
>>
>>84892051
Mad Men's setting is the historical 1950s+ and since there was a marked lack of supernatural events in those decades, obviously the show has none.

Though Mad Men had it's surreal moments.
>>
>>84892090
The character writing was great, the supernatural shit seemed to be shoehorned in and dropped at complete random. I don't think the things like Nora not being able to use devices needed to be in the show, it felt like they were stringing us along with intriguing concepts to keep us watching with no payoff. A lot of plot elements like Kevin waking up with a different personality didn't seem to have any sort of point even within the context of the world, and especially as a show.

Those kind of things are shit writing, the rest of the show was good.
>>
>>84892051
mad men also was about boring suits pretending they can act.

the leftovers was about 2% of the population disappearing.
>>
>>84892174
Would you say this show was a deliberate rebuttal of season 2's build up of supernatural, metaphysical events? Because it felt like that to me. It's jarring I guess, if you're expecting the mysteries to keep mounting in that fashion.

I thought this season handled the concept of mysteries, "what is truth" in a much more nuanced way than before. Season 2 was pure capeshit to Season's 3 kino. I liked them all but I really feel this last season was an artfully executed coup de grace. There's a LOT of questions about what transpired, but nothing is depicted that absolute defies reality.

I think the scene with Dean in the first episode of season 3 was a loveletter to people that felt this show might go off the rails, into LOST territory.
>>
>>84892361
I would have preferred they either committed to crazy shit like lost and went batshit, or explained away the supernatural shit with logical reasons and kept them realistic (no stupid things like jesus kevin or disappearing lake at just the right time that can never be explained). I would have liked it more if the departure turned out to be the sole supernatural event and everyone was just being paranoid because of it. But a lot of the things they introduced ended up just making no sense in the context of the world, it felt like they were going to go somewhere far more ridiculous and scaled it back at the last second. I feel like the character writing/acting was top tier the entire time though.
>>
>>84892616
>I would have liked it more if the departure turned out to be the sole supernatural event and everyone was just being paranoid because of it

that is literally what happened
>>
>>84892793
Nope. Season 2 has dead birds, dead crickets and dead Kevin Garvey coming back to life. It's just impossible to argue with what is depicted. He takes poison, he is shot at point-blank range (I think John had a snub revolver; that's probably a .44 or .357, not exactly a lovetap) and receives no tending for many hours.

The drowning in season 3 are more ambiguous about whether he really died or was just on the brink. That's why you're confused. I'm not sold on his second trip being legit. I think it was a red herring; mainly and for the people who loved International Assassin so much.
>>
>>84893066
Either way it was kino with the Beach Boys and all
>>
>>84892793
you're fucking retarded
>>
>>84893066
50 cent was shot 9 times
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaoR5m4L80
REEEE STOP LOOKING FOR LOGICAL EXPLANATIONS YOU FUCKING AUTISTS
>>
>>84893149
That's pretty remarkable, isn't it.

If you take a large enough caliber to the arm there's a non-zero chance it will kill you instantly. The sheer power of such guns can collapse lungs or rupture a heart with indirect hits.

There's a lot of variability to how guns will destroy a person. 50 Cent is a bulky guy. Arguable that was either good (armor) or bad (bullets retained in body)
>>
>>84891589
He was buried underground for 8 hours.
>>
>>84891982
>>84891825
not to mention the whole Nora is being CONTROLLED BY THE DEMON AZRAEL part
>>
>>84894400
That was funny though
>>
>>84889808
Simon c'est mieux de pas être toi mon criss
>>
>>84894539
I really wanted that to be expanded upon. Would have really made season 2 much more interesting.
>>
File: perrotta.jpg (47KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
perrotta.jpg
47KB, 1280x720px
>>84894400
They dropped that one hard. I have to interpretrations. One, Lindelof honestly though he was going to pursue this plotline in S3, and they were forced to drop it. Or, based on Nora's reaction, it's the beginning of setting the tone for S3. I'm willing to bet it's the former, but, if it is, then they were rescued by something. Divine intervention or maybe Tom Perrotta providing guidance.

Everyone seems to forget this show has two writers. Damon Lindelof is at his lore-rich best when he is being tempered by a writer with some sense. These two should get married and write kinos forever.
>>
>>84894600
It was literally just a joke m8
>>
>>84894626
are you retarded? You seem retarded.

The azrael thing, like everything in the show, was a glorified throwaway gag. Lindelof doesn't do lore, he does intrigue without payoff, because he can't actually write anything anyone would find interesting.
>>
>>84890834
>>84891799
>>84892174
>>84892616

The thing about The Leftovers and why it is an utterly terrible show is that as a character study it fails on nearly every level of being compelling or insightful about the human condition. It is entirely propelled by the bullshit mysteries under the defense of being "about the characters" but the characters are sub soap opera tier portrayals of actual human beings.
>>
File: 1430448575323.jpg (136KB, 1920x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1430448575323.jpg
136KB, 1920x1072px
>>84895082
>>84895157
>being this wrong
>>
>>84895381
Nice meme
>>
File: 1446588072506.jpg (125KB, 700x422px) Image search: [Google]
1446588072506.jpg
125KB, 700x422px
>>84895466
>not knowing what a meme is
>>
Honestly people arguing if things were supernatural or not? Of course they were. The main character dying 4 times and coming back can't be explained away with: It was just a near death experience.
What I really find interesting is that Kevin is not the only one able to return back to life after dying. God can do the same thing. And he was the one helping Kevin come back to life throughout his deaths. This means there must be a lot of people like him out there.
>>
>>84891051
So the only difference between lost and leftovers is lindelof didn't lie as much.
>>
No, they're not in hell.

Humanity is all just suffering/grieving at the same time and it has been going on for years.

The show is about dealing with grief and loss,it's just that everyone has been hit by it at the same time, and it's even worse that they can't explain it.

Another thing is the show is since unexplained and supernatural event has happened, everyone is trying to rationalize it by joining a cult or looking for signs from beyond in seemingly ordinary things , this keeps repeating over and over in the show

Mat sees pigeons on the betting table, sees the traffic light flash red, and he bets everything on that table on Red.

Kevin grows unusually attached to that deer he thought was some kind of message or calling to get him out of the family life he didn't like, it turned out he just had a shinny foil on it's head that drove him mad.
>>
>>84895872
after rewatching the show, the god character was mentioned on television in season 2. Like it was national news that an aussie celeb came back from the afterlife and that he was in some sort of a hotel.

You can interpret this as Kevin hearing it on the news and subconsciously storing it, along with that Aussies face
>>
>>84896957
>Another thing is the show is since unexplained and supernatural event has happened, everyone is trying to rationalize it by joining a cult or looking for signs from beyond in seemingly ordinary things , this keeps repeating over and over in the show
>Mat sees pigeons on the betting table, sees the traffic light flash red, and he bets everything on that table on Red.

If that is actually what the show was about, that theme would have been better explored by matt just walking into a casino and walking out with nothing less than a minute later, despite following all the signs.

But since it was a "bad things happen to matt" episode, it needed to go on longer than matt digging up some squirreled away money then losing it all immediately, despite following all the signs.

The fact he wins so much money following "signs," like birds in a casino, kinda indicates strongly the signs were supernatural in origin, and him following them is intended by whoever is sending them. So the episode keeps running, and by the end its clear the signs were valid and guiding him, though not to save his church, just to fuck with him.

As that is what the show was actually about. Not the characters struggling with grief and loss in the wake of a completely inexplicable event, but the characters being fucked with by "god." And by "god" I mean the writers.
>>
>>84897769
Perceiving signs does not actually imply anything is signed. He saw stuff, had belief and it just worked out for him. And you are a brainlet if you do not see this show as demonstration after demonstration of people dealing with grief and trying to reconcile the impossible.
>>
>>84898497
The problem with the argument is the amount of shit "god" constantly drops on the characters every time things start lagging.
>>
>>84898988
It is a story. A post-modern story, no doubt, and it is very clear, and we are all in agreement, that these miraculous and impossible to explain occurrences are just narrative devices. The show is pretty unambiguous that it is magical for the sake of its drama, and not for the sake of elaborating some kind of divinity. The whole point is finding superstition convenient, finding answers or explanations where common reason says there isn't any but the show is very clear that these are all just empty symbols that the characters fill with their own meaning.
>>
>>84899172
>The show is pretty unambiguous that it is magical for the sake of its drama, and not for the sake of elaborating some kind of divinity

Or any sort of character development.

Also why are you talking about divinity?
>>
>>84899346
I think the deserves some criticisms for its character development, I don't think you're off base with that jab.

Also, why are you asking me why I am talking about divinity when you were talking about "god"?
>>
>>84899396
>And by "god" I mean the writers.
>>
>>84899447
I don't know what you're trying to point out. You said god, like the shows characters like Matt and the gang think to be at work, and I said that it is not meant to be interpreted by the audience as actual divinity but just narrative contrivance.

-OH I see the end of your first post. Nvm, but I left the stuff I wrote cause I think it helps explain what the characters experience/perceive and what we are supposed to see.
>>
>>84889808

The 1% of people who left live in an alternate world where 99% of the people don't exist.

The cause is never addressed but the underlying message is that living your life expecting an answer to the course of your life's losses is an empty way of living. Carrying on is what the 1% do, while the 99% focus on what they lost.
>>
>>84899447
>>84899512
erm, I've made this a bit awkward, but I don't think it is right to say that we are supposed to learn something from watching the writers fuck with characters but learn from what fucks with the characters. We can see it's contrived, but their reactions are meant to be somewhat realistic and we can see allegories to something as *seemingly* incomprehensible (at the time, in the emotions) as loss or overwhelming grief and uncertainty.
>>
>>84889808
It's about what society would do in such an event. All the characters the show follows deal with it in a different way. Things become a little more strange at the end of season 2.
>>
desu, Season 1 is the only thing I could really say was truly magnificent and resonant in a emotional and human kind of way. The rest is cool and sometimes apt for revealing some truth or philosophy about life and loss or whatever, but it gets out of hand.

Season 1 is so concise, and I think its messages are really pertinent in a time where people really have the opportunity to explore their suffering and pain in the open more than ever. More understanding, more chances for healing, takes bravery and strength .
>>
The leftovers made me apprieciate LOST even more

LOST actually answered questions. You may not like the answers, but they answers, instead of just saying "LET THE MYSTERY BEEEEE"

fucking lindelof the hack. LOST will be remembered in years to come, leftovers will be lost in time because it's garbage
>>
>>84899705
LOST is so much worse for answering those questions though. You have to really want to like LOST for its shittiest mistakes to really think what you just posted.
>>
Great show, especially S1 and 2.
>>
>>84899766
Lost went to shit because it was under a directive to keep the audience guessing, lacked a writing staff sufficiently creative to do that, and thus said writers had written themselves into an inescapable corner almost immediately.

Leftovers, in attempt at avoiding that, just tried for ambiguity. But, again, due to incompetence, failed, and became about kevin being jesus and needing to save the world, literally.
>>
>>84899952
I wouldn't say that's a failure, but I think I get what you mean anyway.
>>
>>84900006
If the intent was to have every event have a perfectly logical or equally valid supernatural explanation, the show failed utterly. Wayne was clearly a charlatan, kevin was clearly immortal, jarden wasn't special, God was treating matt like a modern day Job, the hotel afterlife was most certainly real, etc. The closest it ever got to remotely ambiguous was that last episode, but that was clearly more the result of not having the time to able to fuck it up, rather than any sort of intentional act.
>>
>>84891742
those are the dreamer the scientist and future philosopher's

Why are doomed to be traped in their own hell named unfulfilled
>>
>>84901701
what the fuck
>>
>>84890855
The bodies in white was a shipment of mannequins that were made as replicas of departures. It's the same company that the 'you don't want to know what I do' guy from Guest works for.

Women in the car is just a weird thing that occurred on the 14th to Kevin; you as the viewer don't get any more information about that than he does.

Wayne was either legit or a fraud, but most likely a fraud. Frauds don't usually sire messiahs.
>>
>>84901791
>unfulfilled
people who always want answers and meaning will never be happy but those are also the people who goes on to be the scientist philosopher's and religious leaders

ignorance is bliss
>>
>>84894400
There's imagery related to the whole demon Azrael thing in the series finale.
>>
>>84901935
negro this is fucking fiction, not the universe as a whole. You're just rationalizing lazy writing.
>>
>>84902208
>t th
im still on epsidoe 9 of season 1 and from reading this thread thats what the writters intended but the had to keep people watching by over steping with the supernatural side
>>
>>84902326
Perrotta's book was all about how nothing is ever resolved and no one ever gets better, and the answers are never satisfying, etc. But once the book material runs out lindelof goes full speed with supernatural bullshit.

The first season ends pretty much conclusively, as far as the original premise goes. You'll never get back what you had, but you will find something, etc. But then starting with the first episode of the second season, kevin is jesus.
>>
>>84889808
My favorite thing about this show is that the people who bitch about not getting answers, just like how the entire plot is about how people act like crazy nut jobs when they don't get enough answers.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.