[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are quality horror films so few are far between? I feel like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

File: The-Babadook-Poster.jpg (14KB, 261x382px) Image search: [Google]
The-Babadook-Poster.jpg
14KB, 261x382px
Why are quality horror films so few are far between? I feel like after I watch a decent and somewhat recent horror flick I have to wait a year or two to see another.
>>
>>84872906
*few and far
>>
>>84872906
Do you know why the saying "quality over quantity" puts quality as the opposite of quantity?
>>
Because most horror is shite. The Babafuck isn't good either.
>>
>>84872906
because there are "people" on this board that don't appreciate quality horror.
So they just keep making stupid shit like the conjuring and so on.

like this dicklet >>84872931
>>
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE: the movie
>>
>>84872929
The quality to quantity ratio is far greater in every other movie genre.
>>
>>84872944
Kek
>>
>>84873019
But that's only because of the audience.
Dramas have more quality content, because it's not aimed at teenagers looking to score a chick at the theater. And in the same way, quality romantic comedies are even more rare than quality horror movies.
>>
File: large_unnamed.jpg (189KB, 980x1453px) Image search: [Google]
large_unnamed.jpg
189KB, 980x1453px
>>
File: 1495194672701.jpg (30KB, 600x669px) Image search: [Google]
1495194672701.jpg
30KB, 600x669px
>>84873082
>quality romantic comedies
>>
>>84872906
Why was the ending of this necessary? Completely ruined the scary aspect with that supernatural shit.
>>
>>84873082
Shitty horror films are pumped out regularly for a dime a dozen and most never make it to theatres. (Scroll through your horror genre on any stream site and see what i mean) Id like to know why its so difficult to wade through this crap and find something worth watching
>>
>>84873228
Ending was meh I guess. Idk. Still enjoyed the hell out of it.
>>
>>84859029
>>
File: Mama_2012_poster.jpg (56KB, 295x466px) Image search: [Google]
Mama_2012_poster.jpg
56KB, 295x466px
>>
>>84872944
Care to name some films you like?
>>
Reminder that It Follows is shit
>>
Fear is the hardest to trigger on screen
>>
Have you seen Green Room yet?
>>
I enjoy low quality horror flicks on levels you probably cannot comprehense, the lower the rating the better.
t. connoisseur
>>
>>84874268
More thriller than horror
>>
>>84874309
Name a few cunt
>>
>>84874726
Who called the genre police? If you like horror movies you'll like Green Room.
>>
>>84874758
True but OP literally asked about good horror movies
>>
>>84874776
Green Room is a good horror movie, get the fuck out of my face faggot I don't care if you need a monster or unstoppable murderer to call something a horror movie.
>>
>>84873398
lol no m8
>>
>>84872906

They arn't. There are great horror movies coming out of the indie/B-movie horror scene constantly.

They're only few and far between when you exclusively watch mainstream James Wan garbage and/or meme movies like the Babadook or It Follows.
>>
>>84874815
This. Horror =/= supernatural
>>
>>84872906
>Why are quality horror films so few are far between?
Quality films in any genre are few and far between. Although if you look at more prolific genres, there are more likely to be quality movies just because of the sheer quantity of films released.

Fortunately, you can always go backward. You've got a 100+ years of horror behind you, most of which you (probably) haven't seen yet. Let the test of time do the sorting for you. Anything more than 25 or so years old that people are still talking about is probably worth a watch.
>>
>>84875156
I think the problem is that I don't find anything in Green Room is remotely scary, which is fine because I don't think any of it's extreme violence is framed in a way that it was intended to be.

At best it get's pretty tense.

That being said I love the film, even if it feels like a step backward when compared to Blue Ruin. At least from a storytelling perspective.
>>
>>84873398
that movie was a huge disappointment
>>
File: GI.jpg (39KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
GI.jpg
39KB, 400x600px
Green room schmeen room, Green Inferno is where it's at!
>>
They're out there. Films like Berberian Sound Studio, Spring, and The Witch are always being made. Stop looking to Hollywood.
>>
>>84875803

Fuck off Eli
>>
File: IMG_0037.jpg (51KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0037.jpg
51KB, 480x360px
>>84872906
>Where the Dead go to Die
>When Black Birds Fly
>A Cure for Wellness

These three are fucking brilliant. Don't listen to the critics and go in blind.
>>
Recommend me a quality horror movie.

I wanna watch one tonight.
>>
>>84872953
reported
>>
>>84876171
A Cure for Wellness was pretty dope.
>>
>>84876314

>42% on rotten tomatoes

no thx.
>>
>>84876502
>Rotten Tomatoes

Kek do you use metacritic too?
>>
>>84876171
A Nightmare On Elm Street.
>>
>>84876314
is it good?

i will download it so please dont bamboozled me, afraid that i will be disappointed

i dont care if it is not scary, i just dont like a bad film, that is not well done. eg: bad script/writing and whatnot
>>
>>84877116
no its the same boring movie youve seen a million times but somhow shallower
>>
Horror will always be shit because they can turn a $10M budget into $300M regardless of the quality
>>
>>84877176
Dude.

Dude.

Shallow? Just because the institute isn't a specific allegory doesn't make the film shallow. Great cinematography, great acting, brilliant twists and the two main leads are interesting. Also, the concept alone is great.
>>
>>84877235
here's my perspective the last horror movie i saw,

i rated 'em:

Lights Out
6.5/10

Bone Tomahawk
7/10

Get Out
7.5/10

Crimson Peak
8/10 (storywise not that great but bretty good visual i say)

i don't know what to expect with A Cure for Wellness but I will download and watch it

>going to watch It Comes At Night too bcs of the hype but still no link to be found
>>
>>84877477
Its pretty good and well shot.

The only downside is that its like an hour too long.
>>
>>84877477
Crimson peak looks pretty great. I do think that visual finesse can make up for a somewhat weak story as the visual aspect can really emphasise certain emotions. A bit obvious but worth saying.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.