[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Casting aside, how would you actually go about adapting Dragon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: 73e311c49a8ea7d85ca8cd4c10e8931c.jpg (300KB, 1101x1332px) Image search: [Google]
73e311c49a8ea7d85ca8cd4c10e8931c.jpg
300KB, 1101x1332px
Casting aside, how would you actually go about adapting Dragon Ball? Which Sagas?

Personally I think the Demon King Piccolo saga would adapt really well as long as they age up Goku closer to his DBZ iteration. Make the plot more closely revolve around searching for and finding the Dragonballs to bring back everyone Piccolo has killed. Pic related would make an awesome climax and would leave plenty of room open for a sequel adapting the Sayan saga
>>
Alredy done, never again, go away.
>>
dragon ball can never work as an adaptation stop making this thread you fucking piece of human garbage
>>
>>84813667
DBZ is unadaptable like 99% of anime.
>>
>>84813748
>>84813747
How is this happening to me
>>
>>84813667
Begin at the start of Dragon Ball Z.
In the last 5 minutes of the episode zoom in on a nearby television until it's borders are slighty short of that of the real television.
Begin short of a relevant scene from dragon ball episode in a very light hearted way, in the first season helping to explain their abilities and how they acquired them.
>>
>>84813785
Anything is adaptable with the right people behind it. DB just has a bad stigma because the first attempt was so incredibly bad
>>
>>84813667
Didn't we get one recently but they changed the title to Man of Steel
>>
>>84813667
You'd have to change a lot. Not just the style but also the plot so as to keep it suprising.
Vegeta would end up being very popular (Again).
>>
>>84813667
Tone down the z shit, keep to Dragon Ball proper.

Its a journey into the west/road movie between a 16 year old girl and a 10 year old boy looking for the magic mcguffins. The ten year old just happends to know how to fight. Keep the beam shit out till the end of the third movie, just show Roshi do it then Goku do it after to show how badass he is.
>>
>>84814619
I agree with this but only for the first movie.

Waiting until the end of a third movie would be hype for people with the patience for it, but beams is exactly what most people expect from dragonball
>>
>>84814888
I say stay the fuck out of z all together.

First movie go up to the Pilaf fight, second red ribbon army with Piccolo hinted at near the end, and finally have King Piccolo at the end. Its playing fast and loose with the lore but its the best your going to get unless they try and squeeze every story line together again like evolution.
>>
Why is DBZ still a thing in America? It ended in the late 90s.
>>
John Cho as Son Goku
>>
>>84815339
Super and Kai still air weekly on cartoon Network
>>
>>84815154
>>84815154
I think the problem with this and the problem with evolution is the implication that everything needs to be adapted at all. Pilaf and Red Ribbon really don't need that much representation. Hell, I don't even think RR needs representation at all. I like the OPs idea where Piccolo could be established as the one and only main villain, and Pilaf can be downgraded to the joke side villain he always was. He has plenty of screentime in the Piccolo saga anyway. Not to mention finding the dragon balls don't really have any consequence until Piccolo anyway. Up until that point Goku's motive were only to find his grandfather's ball.

If it were up to me:
>Movie starts with a DBZ aged Goku already in the process of finding his lost 4star ball
>He meets Bulma who teaches him about the other dragon balls and the powers they have
>We see pilaf and his gang with the 4star meeting with Piccolo, to establish the villains
>End the first act with Bulma enrolling Goku in the World Marial Arts Tournament where he meets Roshi and Tien
>Roshi takes Goku under his wing and trains him, introduces him to Krillen
>End the training with the first kamahamaha wave
>Rest of the movie is Bulma, Goku, and the rest of the main cast searching for the dragonballs, Pilaf being a minor villain until they meet with Piccolo, who has the last dragonball, Goku's 4star

See where I'm going with this? The best way to adapt is to only adapt what is necessary. Obviously I'm not going to type out the whole thing here but hopefully you get the gyst of it
>>
File: Zamasu home.png (120KB, 342x316px) Image search: [Google]
Zamasu home.png
120KB, 342x316px
>>84813667
It's unadaptable and impossible to cast, but if a movie were to be made, it should be an original movie within the canon, that's the only way to make a successful movie out of DB.
>>
>>84813667
Anime action scenes do not look good in live action at all.
>>
>>84816325
Tell that to Speed Racer
>>
>>84813667
If it was ten years ago Will Arnett would have to play Vegeta. Don't care if he's too tall, use perspective or something. But I need and want this
>>
File: berserk.jpg (172KB, 800x1208px)
berserk.jpg
172KB, 800x1208px
why would you want a live action movie if the anime already perfected it? Movies and anime should only be made to make comics better. The system is
>comic=movie/animated series
not
>comic=anime=movie
If the anime was shitty then I would understand but dragonball was kino
>>
Man of Steel is 70% what a saiyain saga adaptation would be.

None of the arcs really adapt well to a 2h structure without taking it back to the films DBZ was kind of ripping off in the first place.

Its the reason most of the DBZ movies sucked.
>>
>>84813667
The only way it would work is if you made it into a proper LOTR-scale epic trilogy where characters search for dragon balls to stop King Piccolo but in the process come across other oddball villains.
>>
>>84813667
The anime adaptation isn't even good. You can't adapt Dragon Ball. It's a near-perfect action comic and trying to translate it to another medium doesn't work.
>>
>>84814279
There aren't good child actors or bald midgets with no nose.
>>
>>84817837
Sure there are
>>
fuck movies i just want a good dragonball game not a dragonball z game
>>
>>84815339
Niggers.
>>
>>84813667
3 movies for DB:
>First starts already when Goku and Kuririn are Roshi's students and the main villain is Red Ribbon Army. During movie Goku meets Bulma and Chi-chi. Movie ends at the beginning of Tenkaichi Budokai.
>Second movie starts at the end of Tenkaichi Budokai, which is interrupted when Kuririn is killed. Main villain is Piccolo Daimao. Movie ends at death of Piccolo and birth of Piccolo Jr. During movie Goku meets Kami and is invited to train with him.
>Third movie starts at the next Tenkaichi Budokai after timeskip - Goku was training with Kami during this time. Main anatagonist is Piccolo Jr. Movie ends when Piccolo is defeated.

4 movies for DBZ:
>First movie begins 10 years after the last DB movie. Goku is training under Kami, Gohan is 10 yo. At the beginning Kami senses Vegeta approaching Earth. Vegeta is the main villain, there are no other Sayians. Also there is no Kaio - Kami is both Kami-sama and Kaio-sama here - Goku learned Kaio-ken from him. Movie ends when Vegeta escapes Earth using some backup spaceship - he leaves his main ship on Earth. He mentions that he will be back with his army.
>Second movie is basically Frieza saga - Bulma fixes spaceship and crew goes after Vegeta to stop him before he will reach his army. They land on Namek where everyone looks like Piccolo and learn that planet was was attacked by Frieza's army. Movie ends at Frieza's death.
>Third movie is after 5 years time skip - Gohan is 15 yo. It's Cell saga - there are no other enemies - Trunks go back in time to stop Cell. There might be C18 but she's not a villain and might be saved by Kuririn. Gero won't be cyborg - he's just the scientist that is trying to rebuild Red Ribbon Army and created Cell as his ultimate weapon - Cell isn't from the future. Movie ends when Cell is killed. At the end Shin appears and tells Kami that time manipulation awaken ancient evil - Buu.
>Fourth movie is Buu saga. Future Trunks is still here to help warriors defeat him.
>>
>>84813667
Dragon Ball for sure. Just a light hearted martial arts movie like Kung Fu Hustle. Focus on the tournament. Cant go wrong.
>>
>>84813748
if they can pull it off with death note, they can make a good dbz movie
>>
Just give it to Zach Snyder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nRKhq0m3xc
>>
>>84822101
Kys.
>>
>>84813667
>Open with a conspiracy thriller on Planet Vegeta. >Bardock has discovered Frieza intends to wipe out the planet but nobody believes him.
>Desperate, he and his wife send their son, Kakarrot, towards a distant planet
>Planet Vegeta is destroyed by Frieza
>Kakarrot is raised in the countryside. He is named Goku.
>Deals with being different from others.
>Years pass. Vegeta and Nappa show up.
>Goku discovers his heritage but declines to help the Saiyans in terraforming the planet and rebuilding Planet Vegeta.
>Big fight. Massive destruction.
>Goku snaps Vegeta's neck

Wait. Shit. I got carried away...
>>
>>84821677
>37 episodes of teenagers talking

vs
>more than 400 episodes of aliens fighting

WOW
REALLY
>>
>>84822595
You're an idiot. Not every fucking episode needs to be adapted
>>
>>84822595
>More than 400 episodes

I think it's currently 607 including GT
>>
>>84813667
Really to work it just has to be an original story instead of an adaptation of an arc, it takes too long for stuff to happen within the plot and even though it's all pretty simple, you lose a lot if you just jump in at any point because the progression and escalation is a huge part of it, so you just make up a situation and a new villain, and work from there, think a more restrained version of the animated movies.
>>
>>84823688
>including GT
>>
>>84824037
>Dismissing GT
I'm going to have the last laugh when it's all relevent.
>>
>>84824037
GT is canon though.
>>
Why does there need to be a live-action version? They already made 20 animated movies of varying quality
>>
>>84825203
There doesn't. It's called a hypothetical
>>
>>84813667
I would make a Yamcha spin off.
Centered around that creepy virgin thief living in the desert with his flying cat.
In the final we'd see Vegeta laughing as Yamcha is lying dead on the ground, killed by a fuckign saibaman. IT WA SALL A DREAM.
>>
>>84825350
I always wanted a video game like this
>>
Buu
>>
>>84824037
GT is objectively better than Super
>>
>>84828218
This
>>
>>84817837
danny devito as krillin, you faggot
>>
File: videldigital.jpg (48KB, 754x424px)
videldigital.jpg
48KB, 754x424px
>>84828218
GT at least is hand drawn. Super looks like garbagio and as a patrician who is mostly interested in visuals in my film super's shitty coloring overshadows everything else
>>
File: videloriginal.png (190KB, 436x327px)
videloriginal.png
190KB, 436x327px
>>84831120
>>
>>84813667
Asians as Saiyans, Bulma is white, Namekians are black.
I'd adapt the first saga of DBZ. Movie would be about Gohan transitioning from child to teen and getting over having a dead dad. As for Goku, he's training and preparing for Vegeta and Nappa. End of movie is 45 minutes of Team Dragon fighting the Saiyans. End it like the anime, leaving room for Frieza saga.

After that, there'd be a movie for Ginyu Force/Planet Namek, the conclusion to that with the fight against Frieza, the Android saga and finally a Perfect Cell saga film.
Call 'er a day after that, no need to ruin it all with Buu and all that.
>>
>>84816359
never got the hate for this one.
i liked it.

visually it works.
>>
>>84822595
and how much of that actually dealt with fighting?

just remember that the manga for Z was only 26 volumes.
>>
>>84831198
No dickhead, humans are asian, saiyans are white.
>>
File: KingFurry.png (286KB, 576x432px)
KingFurry.png
286KB, 576x432px
The only part of dragon ball that could work in live action is the Trunks android movie. Anything else would just looks dumb in live action, especially if you want to be faithful to the source material.
>>
>>84813667
name one good live action adaption. ill wait
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.