[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>6 minutes in >uses the word "science" even though

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 19

File: castlevania.jpg (117KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
castlevania.jpg
117KB, 1024x576px
>6 minutes in
>uses the word "science" even though the word was invented in the 19th century
>priest: science is SATAN
Is there any reason I should continue watching this trash?
>>
>is there any reason I should continue watching modern anime?

No.
>>
Is this anime? It has Japanese VA or is american dub only

If it's american only I won't watch it.
>>
>>84769072
It is an american cartoon animated by an american studio
Only the source material is jap
>>
>>84769028
it gets kind of rad and gory

so depends on what your interest in rad gory action is vs. your tolerance for pandering materialist science cultism
>>
File: christ.jpg (3MB, 1522x2341px) Image search: [Google]
christ.jpg
3MB, 1522x2341px
>>84769072
There is no Japanese audio. The animation looks very crisp, but I think movement is a little clunky and the voices seem to fit poorly. I was banking that the story would carry everything but from what I see it's the most clear cut case of
>religion is BAD
>science (fuck yea) is GOOD
Literally starts in ~1450, Lisa walks up to Dracula
>like, omg, gimmie science and can you stop imapling people Drac?
>Drac: ok.
>>
>>84769128
>>84769213
>Castlevania without japs

What's the point? it's like the new games goddamit japan stop doing cute girls mobile games and go back to this

>pro-science, anti-religion
>Netflix

I see a pattern...
>>
>>84769288
Japan would have fucked this up. They are shit at adaptions
>>
>>84769213
It was rushed, but i got the feeling vlad was bored as fuck so he decided to entertain the idea of having a human apprentice. She was probably the first human he met that wasnt trying to kill him or running in terror.
>>
>>84769213
I watched the first episode with Japanese dub. It exists.
>>
>>84769028
>only 4 episodes

this shit is a glorified OVA, call me when a real series is released
>>
>>84769740
Season 2 has already been confirmed.
>>
>>84769028
>Is there any reason I should continue watching this trash?

of course, OP. to have yourself a good self-indulgent whinge on /tv/
>>
Is there any reason you're posting anime trash on the wrong board
>>
>>84769028
WHAT? there is a anachronistic word in my cartoon about a vampire hunter and a magic wielding vampire and his army of demons from hell!? holy shit dropped hard!
>>
>>84769851
o sweet, 4 more 22 min episodes where nothing happens
>>
>>84769028
should i watch this or replay symphony of the night?
>>
>>84769740
leave your number then
>>
>hurr durr this show is anti religion

Try watching past the first episode, Trevor literally tells a priest to gather as much holy water as he can to repel the bat monsters in the last episode. They make a point about religion not being inherently bad but it can be used by bad people.
>>
>>84770178
Actually 8 episodes
>>
File: 03958345358.jpg (51KB, 405x412px) Image search: [Google]
03958345358.jpg
51KB, 405x412px
>>84769213
Stick with your cultureless, creatively bankrupt, jew infested gaijin bastardizations, plebs
>>
>>84769072
it's Anime, there's a debate that if it's made by Americans it's not anime. and my answer to this is: are animes made by Koreans and Chinese animators in Japan not Anime? This is anime, its entire fucking influence is Anime, artwise anyways. Period.

About the dub. The american, and original dub is attrocious, lots of stupid accents and one Hispanic character in 1470 Rumania speaking with an slightly altered hispanic tone (I'm hispanic)

The Japanese dub is superior. I'm not a weeb, I just happened to download the Horriblesub release not knowing it had Jap audio and in deed it was better.

but probably the worst of the show is the direction and the dialogues. Call it bad decision making on the part of the director, if you will.
>>
>>84770374
This is /tv/ you aren't allowed to have actually watched the show you have an opinion on anon
>>
>>84770663
Koreans and Chinese get a pass if the studio is Japanese. They're close enough, culturally, racially, historically, geographically. The second you let westerners into the mix you can expect us to bring in the grab bag full of globalist propagandistic bullshit that we already have to put up with in all of our media. It's just for the best that gaijin shit does not classify as anime. Let the Japanese have their own culture. Let them be Japanese. Fuck western culture.
>>
File: affaf.jpg (80KB, 848x548px) Image search: [Google]
affaf.jpg
80KB, 848x548px
>>84769028
t. amerilard
>>
>>84770734
I'm talking solely about the art. Also it does make more sense that Jap art got Jewed. What else did you expect?
>>
>>84770374
B-B-But my Christian victim complex
>>
>>84770374
>Trevor literally tells a priest to gather as much holy water as he can to repel the bat monsters in the last episode.

Yea, keyword there is "the last episode." In the last episode, purely for the sake of plot convenience, a cowardly priest is able to do something and, what a surprise, holy water actually works.

Every other reference to god or religion is clearly done with an atheistic slant. It's given no quarter whatsoever. All the priests are corrupt, vicious, stupid, or violent thugs. Dracula explicitly makes a point of only using the phrase "your god," instead of just "god" as would be historically appropriate. The demons get a speaking part where they bash on god and religion. There is absolutely no ambiguity about the rather forced and unnecessary messages that "religion is stupid and evil," unlike vampires and even baby eating demons.

Face it, this studio was populated with fedora tipping redditors. They were unable to stop themselves from dragging social politics into the project, and it shows.
>>
>>84770817
>b-b-but christianity is evil ;_;

It's not about defending christianity you dense, tasteless, projecting, contrarian normalcattle shitstain. Nobody on 4chan is a fucking practicing christian. It's just a simple and observable fact that the writers in this studio have been watching Sam Harris and posting on reddit.
>>
>m..m..muh free speech
>s...stop crying about r..racism SJWs!
>WAIT A TV SHOW HAS DIFFERENT OPINIONS THAN ME?
>DELETE THIS
Do you realise how ironic this is?
>>
>>84770925
>b-b-but Christianity is evil
Literally who on this thread said that? Why do you have to perpetuate your victim complexes?
>>
The show depicts the Gresit Bishop as evil, not the church as a whole.

Are you guys really that dense thinking it is anti-christian?
I don't even watch anime but it was a fun watch.
>>
>>84770983
>well this show isn't very good
>TRIGGERED SJW? GO BACK TO /pol/

seriously?
>>
>>84769028
It's trash for videotoys players, you should kill yourself just for having considered it
>>
>>84771004
God abandoned man because Man (such as the Gresit Bishop) have tainted God's word for evil / selfish purposes
>>
Were you also upset that Dracula had electricity and shit? And that everyone dresses like it's the 19th century?
>>
>>84769028
>"I believe in science"

Dropped it right there.
>>
File: 1430442810695.jpg (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1430442810695.jpg
77KB, 500x500px
>>84770983
Do you realize what a fucking crap that is?

If /pol/ created a studio and bastardized a better work, cramming in a bunch of unnecessary references to black inferiority and jewish supremacy, it would also be shit. It's not that 4chan "disagrees" with atheism, you fucking insufferable newfaggot. It's what atheism has become as a culture and community that 4chan autists absolutely correctly object to. Fedoratipping redditors are subhuman cancer and deserve genocide by an inefficient and convoluted lethal gassing program organized at the state level.
>>
>TRIGGERED SJW? GO BACK TO /pol/
I didn't say that
>well this show isn't very good
You didn't say this either, you're complaining about muh propaganda.
>>
>>84771000
You clearly implied that the people criticizing this movie were doing so because they were christians. That was the point, there. And you're doing it again, and are incorrect, again. Tip your dense self back on over to reddit. 4chan is a pious, Christian board.
>>
>>84770847
The demons talking to the bishop seem to imply that god is around, just not protecting him and the current church for being cunts.
>>
>>84771175
No, I was implying the people who were feeling insulted ITT were Christians. And you just confirmed it with your comment, sooooooo
>>
>>84770983
>opinion
It's called blatant lies, Anon. Open a book sometime. Lying for the sake of your ideology is despicable.
>>
File: 1451040517083.png (2MB, 1386x4653px) Image search: [Google]
1451040517083.png
2MB, 1386x4653px
> religion is bad m'kay
>>
>>84770847
>All the priests are corrupt, vicious, stupid, or violent thugs
gee, such a wird thing in dark fantasy for a organisation of authority to be corrupted and evil
>Dracula explicitly makes a point of only using the phrase "your god," instead of just "god"
gee, why would dracula do that, it's not like his character has no respect for god
> The demons get a speaking part where they bash on god and religion.
holy fuck, why would demons do such a thing? obviously demons should love god, demons love god and religion. such a bullshit propaganda

you are retarded. do you think that house of cards is anti american as well because it shows a corrupt politician?
>>
>>84771175
>4chan is a pious, Christian board.
r/thedonald pls
>>
>>84771179
Yes that was interesting considering that, previously all throughout the series, the fedora tipping writers couldn't bring themselves to validate the idea of god's existence in anyway. So right there you see an inconsistency, which was brought about by the insertion of unnecessary modern politics into a historical fantasy setting.

They're fine with the idea of having vampires and flying demons and raining fetuses, but whenever god is mentioned they made a point to shoe horn in implicit doubt and skepticism about the notion. Just a disappointing aggravation. As writers they should really be more aware than to do that
>>
>>84771027
Meant for >>84771105
>>84771100
>If /pol/ created a studio and bastardized a better work, cramming in a bunch of unnecessary references to black inferiority and jewish supremacy, it would also be shit.
That is literally my point. If there was a /pol/ show it'd be just as shit, but instead we'd get threads going "Wow guys have you seen this BASED as fuck show?!".
>>84771237
>blatant lies
But the show shows exactly how corrupt the church was in the 15th century.
>>
>>84771312
absence of god is a standard theme in dark fantasy, it adds to the atmosphere and horror you mouthbreather
>>
>>84769028
>"science" even though the word was invented in the 19th century
um, where did you get this from? 'Science' and its roots in old french and latin date back to Roman times
>>
>>84770983
speaking only for myself here but i like to complain about shit. it brings me joy. i dont want anyone barred from creating their bullshit if they want to. i just wanna be able to scream its shit if its shit
>>
>>84771393
Only valid argument ITT right now.
>>
>>84769167
>pandering materialist science cultism
this isn't a thing
>>
>>84770847
>Dracula explicitly makes a point of only using the phrase "your god," instead of just "god" as would be historically appropriate.
"PERHAPS THE SAME CAN BE SAID OF ALL RELIGIONS!"
>>
>>84771327
>Wow guys have you seen this BASED as fuck show?!
is there on show /pol/ actually likes other than that space anime with shit german translations?
>>
>>84769213
>>religion is BAD
>>science (fuck yea) is GOOD
This is objectively true
>>
>>84771459
Man in the high castle kinda
>>
is there any fantasy anime or media that doesnt devolve into the evil church angle?
>>
>>84771280
>gee, why would dracula do that, it's not like his character has no respect for god
I've really got you here. It's not about conveying dracula's disrespect or opposition to god. It's about shoe horning in the idea that "god doesn't exist because other societies have different gods so how can they all be real" etc etc. It's really just not needed or at all relevant in the plot. It's just the writers automatically and perhaps thoughtlessly reciting the typical lines that they have become familiar with. I.e. bad writing. And more about bad writing: later in the show it is acknowledged that god, in fact, is a legitimate concept. So why the duplicity on that particular issue? Is this a part of the plot? No. Is this a part of anyone's character development? No. It's politics in my cartoons, and I don't take kindly to that.

>do you think that house of cards is anti american as well because it shows a corrupt politician?
Never seen or heard of it. But I see what you're saying and can imagine what you're talking about. So my answer is: No. Not necessarily. But it depends. And in this case, talking about the gaijewnime, the answer to that same question about religion is just "yes."

Maybe you're new to social media, and weren't here when fedora tipping was all the rage. In that case, I can understand why you'd be more tolerant of it's apparently subtle inclusion in unrelated media. But I assure you that it is cancerous to the degree of reddit
>>
>>84771462
>uh religion is totally at war with science daddy im not going to church anymore. :(
>>
>>84771545
Religion has literally always been at war with the search for knowledge and truth, as the whole point of religion is filling in the blanks of things we do not understand
The more we know the less of a role religion plays in society,a nd people who control religions have absolutely no interest in seeing that
>>
>>84771360
I'm understand that, and that's fine. But bad writing is bad writing. And what you're not understanding is that, in this work, it is necessary for god to exist as a concept and perhaps an entity of some sort. Establishing that premise was clumsily done in the last episode, and really contradicted the earlier, established themes about the place of god in this story. It's not that I'm objecting to criticizing god, you need to look past the scripted debate on that issue understand that.
>>
>>84771600
just keep watching your cartoons faggot.
>>
>>84771327
>But the show shows exactly how corrupt the church was in the 15th century.
Simply not true.

1. The Church was never present in Wallachia in the first place, that's for one.

2. It doesn't show the Church as corrupt, it shows the church as evil anti-science anti-medicine, burning women at the stake because they were practicing medicine ("I believe in science"). This never happened. The Church never had the authority to burn whoever, the only juridiction it had was to excommunicate, the MONARCHIES had the power to put their subjects to death if they deemed it right, according to Christian principles, and often in opposition with what the Church declared. Did you just forget that there were countries with sovereign leaders and law of land? NB: these monarchies rebelled many times against the Church because it wanted more power, and many monarchs were excommunicated.

3. The Church didn't do witch-trials and wasn't concerned with this "problem".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchcraft#Europe
>The Church and European society were not always so zealous in hunting witches or blaming them for misfortunes. Saint Boniface declared in the 8th century that belief in the existence of witches was un-Christian.
>The Church did not invent the idea of witchcraft as a potentially harmful force whose practitioners should be put to death. This idea is commonplace in pre-Christian religions.

Witch trials are commonplace in Protestant societies in the 17th century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_trials_in_the_early_modern_period

And as for the Church being anti-science, this is a funny statement :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology#Before_the_eighteenth_century
>>
>>84771691
I haven't even watched it, I just saw people whining about science on the main page.
Anti-science, natural food, vaccines and GMOs are bad people are the worst and should be given shit at any opportunity
>>
>>84771542
>I've really got you here. It's not about conveying dracula's disrespect or opposition to god. It's about shoe horning in the idea that "god doesn't exist because other societies have different gods so how can they all be real" etc etc. It's really just not needed or at all relevant in the plot.
Dracula doesn't want to be associated with god, in fact he introduces himself as an opposition to him, so he calls him "your god". because dracula doesn't worship no gods, in his mind he is a god. thats part of his character, it does tell the viewer something about him. you are seeing things that aren't there with this argument
>>
>>84771600
>the whole point of religion is filling in the blanks of things we do not understand

religion deals with conscious and the feelings of regret and guilt that we share.

religion promoted inquiry to discover the nature of God and his world.
>>
>>84771725
science is going down and your not gonna stop it.
>>
>>84771721
vampires don't exist and neither does black magic
>>
>>84771600
that not how the world work son.
>>
>>84771779
Religious people still fucking say evolution isn't a thing
>>
>>84771721
vampires or the country of not-transylvania don't exist either, so what exacly are you arguing about? yes, the show is fiction, it is not historically accurate. everyone knows that
>>
>>84771672
there is no despair when characters have faith or hope, and dark fantasy is all about despair
>>
>>84771516
For obvious reasons it's a theme that's really been done to death at this point. If you're going to do the 'corrupt and evil church' theme, it's going to be hard to stand out. Ironically it's much easier to make a more engaging setting by, at least initially, conveying christianity in a positive light. And that adds depth to the story. Plus, it's very easy to do in a visually captivating way because of the already existing vivid, evocative, and widely recognizable iconography of catholocism.

For example, consider how the 'good side' of christianity could have played into Lisa's humanitarian motivations. She could have been seeking medical science out of a religiously motivated desire to "serve god's will and his children." There's just multiple ways to include religion into this kind of setting, and frederator studios really took a dump on it here.

It's also fun to bicker about because people are conditioned to give alot of attention to "atheism vs religion" subjects, and this is an example where being anti-atheism is both a controversial and cutting edge position, while having solid, visible evidence behind it.
>>
>>84771860
Yeah, just like its hard to make a show where child molestation is shown in a positive light, religion is inherently bad
>>
File: 453654654.jpg (165KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
453654654.jpg
165KB, 1280x720px
>>84771797
Wow how unbelievably offensive. People believing things I know are untrue because of the influence of generational, covertly economic social hierarchies? God, such a thing would never exist in our modern, enlightened society. I am completely outraged that other people would be so much stupider than me. Everybody must be made aware of this.
>>
>>84769028
>even though the word was invented in the 19th century

That's just incorrect and even if it were true it wouldn't matter. They could go around calling it philosophy or physics but people would get confused so they changed it to its modern English equivalent much in the same way they did with every other word in the show.

Plus the anti-religion stuff is undercut by it being made clear that the main priest is a nutter and his underlings are hired thugs.

If anything the whole thing is a rather trite "don't look the other way when crazy people take over".

And no you shouldn't continue watching it. Perhaps jumping out into moving traffic is more your speed.
>>
File: 1459221098111.jpg (188KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1459221098111.jpg
188KB, 640x960px
>this fucking thread

How can I share a board with people so stupid? In 2017?
>>
>>84769213
>There is no Japanese audio.
wrong
http://nyaa.si/view/936407/torrent
>>
> the church was anti science

atheists sure love science but hate history
>>
>>84771797
>believing in evolution
>>
>>84771949
Yet for 1,000 years and up until your parent's generation, christianity was seen as the icon of good will among men on Earth. Incorrect or not, your inability or refusal to understand that history is not intelligence. You're not smarter than them. You're actually stupider, more brainwashed, but have been given better information on that one, particular matter.

Yet I'm sure your religious grandparents would have been able to raise a better family than your undoubtedly single, porn addicted, fedora tipping butt is capable of doing!
>>
>>84771967
Why are you defending bad things existing?

and you mention "covertly economic" as though its an excuse why it is not religion's fault, when that is the inherent state of all religion. Religions are successful only when they trick people into not believing actual truth
>>
>>84772035
>virusfactory.com

Yeah, no.
>>
>>84772043
I saw an interview with Dawkins. Basically, he said that prior to Darwin, it was impossible not to be religious. Before the theory of evolution, everything would really have seemed like magic.
>>
>>84772082
>Religions are successful only when they trick people into not believing actual truth

religion is successful because people suffer and need comfort

your posts are ignorant to the point that your critiscisms cant be taken seriously. at least some atheists actually have an understanding of that which they condemn.
>>
>>84772098
>nyaa is suddenly evil now

it's on horriblesubs if you're too paranoid for magnets too

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:QIDLT7PC2IFI2PU4XSJVSN226WVGB34X&
>>
>>84772007
bait: the post
>>
>>84769028
>OP actually thinks he's some kind of intellectual supergiant
>>
>>84772130

Did you not notice that all these people were priests?

They could also have been gay because it was impossible not to be. Dawkins can say some pretty retarded things.
>>
>>84772148
>trusting magnets
>>
>>84772082
>Why are you defending bad things existing?

Because it's not that simple. You're brainwashed as fuck, bro. I mentioned the inherently economic aspect of the christain social hierarchy because that same system is still very well alive and kicking in our society today.

The "truth" is that Christianity is already dead. It doesn't fucking matter, anymore. Let them believe what they're going to. Our quality of life in the first is being RAPED by the international capitalist elite, yet these self righteous, clueless, childish losers want to waste time and energy dividing society further about trivial issues, just so they can feel smart and special about themselves by bickering with christians. You're not going to change them! Grow up and find more relevant hobbies, kiddos! Carlin was relevant 30 years ago. But not today. Let it goooooooooooooooooo
>>
>>84772195
Yeah, it's the first time I've seen his argument begin to break down. Especially when it's not even a standard interest in religion, but many of them took it to the next level like Newton, or the priests you mentioned.
>>
>>84772043
super misleading line of reasoning
>>
>>84770766
Not religious but I prefer Christian allegories in fiction so much more than I do the 'science>religion' bashfests since they're so overdone these days.
>>
>>84772246
>The "truth" is that Christianity is already dead

says increasing nervous man for the millionth time.
>>
>>84772144
>religion is successful because people suffer and need comfort
This is bullshit, people are born into religion, they don't choose it, they are indoctrinated as small children
>>
Religion has killed billions of people, if you defend it you share its crimes
>>
>>84772333
Yep
>>
>>84772195
>They could also have been gay because it was impossible not to be

surprised nobody picked this up
>>
>>84772246
>Our quality of life in the first is being RAPED by the international capitalist elite
Capitalism literally is responsible for our historically high quality of life. Never in the history of the world has humanity seen such long and quality lives as the capitalist era has brought to countries that have embraced it
>>
File: oswald the tv dog.png (12KB, 743x560px) Image search: [Google]
oswald the tv dog.png
12KB, 743x560px
>>84772361
>people don't convert
>>
>>84772361

look at the spread of Christianity in China and ask yourself why millions are converting. people may be born into it, but it is important to them because it becomes personal.
>>
>>84772351
Indeed. The existential thread presented by Christianity in the modern age will not cease to exist until every, last practitioner has been converted or confined to the mental institution were they belong. A tippity tip to you, my good sir, lady, and/or xir, and Viva la Revolution!
>>
>>84772246
being anti-capitalist is so fucking dumb. Have you never educated yourself on any history or economics, it makes absolutely no sense to hate capitalism. Being a leftist is basically a religion on its own, all of their beliefs are 100% contrary to all science and economic learning we have, and basically pissing on the face of anyone learned in history
>>
>>84772333
>since they're so overdone these days
What are you even referring to? Positive Christian references are way more common than anti-religious stuff.. Shit, you can't even call out even worse non-christian religions without immediately being labeled a racist now
>>
>>84771721
>It doesn't show the Church as corrupt
Yes it does. All the evil stuff the Church is shown doing is because that local branch of the Church is evil as fuck.

Get the fuck out you oversensitive little baby.
>>
>>84772415
>Capitalism literally is responsible for our historically high quality of life.
>Thinking that because I said "international capitalist elite" that I am anti-capitalist
People sure are DUMB. God fucking damn it.

Yes, obviously we're not breaking our backs in the coal mines or grubbing as serfs, but to ignore the fact that the quality of life for your average person in the first world has declined significantly as a result of inequalities in power between the middle and upper class is foolish. And to think you or your children will have the life your parents or grandparents did is outright stupid. Fight for your own impoverishment if you want! More power to the banks!
>>
>>84772424
religious conversions are incredibly rare besides doing it to appease a wife and join her slightly different sect.
>>
And speaking of brainwashed dummies
>>84772471
See
>>84772550
>>
>>84772550
>>Thinking that because I said "international capitalist elite" that I am anti-capitalist
Seems like a pretty reasonable assumption to be honest
>>
>>84769128
somehow the animation is even worse than anime is
>>
>>84769045
>>84769072
Its not anime. The studio that made it is in texas.
>>
>>84772550
>but to ignore the fact that the quality of life for your average person in the first world has declined significantly as a result of inequalities in power between the middle and upper class is foolish
This has literally not happened at all, its an entirely fictional narrative, the rich getting richer has had no influence on our quality of life, in fact the quality of life for middle class Americans and western Europeans has never been higher thanks to the prosperity and technological innovation capitalism has brought
>>
>>84772512
>Positive Christian references are way more common than anti-religious stuff
Bullshit. You can't criticize ISLAM or non-whites ONLY. Christianity and white bashing is fucking mainstream as fuck. Where have you been?
>>
File: christianity-in-china_final.jpg (57KB, 1097x726px) Image search: [Google]
christianity-in-china_final.jpg
57KB, 1097x726px
>>84772553
>>84772441
>>
>>84769028
Science was in use way before the 19th century, it just had a more expansive meaning. You're thinking of scientist
>>
>>84772043
Well, he talks about "people". We all know masses are dumb.

There are only few people who can be scientific oriented and deeply religious. It requires intelligence and education to bridge the difference. Intelligence and education that most religious and "anti-religious" people simple doesn't have.
>>
>>84772615
>This has literally not happened at all
>The rich getting richer has no influence on our quality of life
BULL FUCKING SHIT
>>
>>84772620
Its mainstream on social media and cable news, but not really in movies or TV yet. I mean it happens, but its not nearly as common as positive christian references
>>
>>84772661
>We all know masses are dumb.

that accounts for atheists too
>>
>>84772633
Communism is just about the worst religion in the world, so converting to Christianity is probably a positive for those people
>>
>>84772664
We are all in the global 1% thanks to capitalism, some rich dude being even more rich does not change your life in any appreciable way, its just a story MSNBC will talk about to get leftists riled up. It means nothing at all to normal people
>>
>>84770033

He fights more priests than demons and vampires

Literally.
>>
>>84772733
>le lefties
>captialism is literally perfect don't you ever dare say anything bad!
So you are just a moron, nothing to see then
>>
>>84772778
Capitalism isn't quite perfect but its definitely the best thing we have discovered so far
>>
>>84771280

Well, Dracula kinda became good..
Until "le evil Church" killed his wife, that literally happens on the first episode.
>>
>>84772733
>We are all in the global 1%

No, we are not
>>
>>84772835
yes you are, if you are a middle class person in America, you are the 1%
>>
>>84773040

Women need to grow up, let me give you some personal insight on the matter.

I've been with my wife for 10 years now. We met in high school, and I got her pregnant.
She is and always has been a lazy person and a shit cook. I wouldn't even mind eating shit food if she at least made it on time. But she rarely did.

We'd get into screaming arguments constantly about how lazy and worthless she was. I felt like an asshole for it, but goddamn she was a real piece of work. The only reason I dealt with all this was for the kids, and also because the sex is great.

But one night, I got fed up. Not only did she get drunk, neglect the kids, and made me top Ramen for dinner, but she decided to give me attitude too. She was being real fucking bitchy. So I told my grandparents to keep an eye on the kids and told my wife we were going to go out and have dinner together. I drove maybe 3 blocks to a quiet area (we live in Oregon, it's not hard to find a quiet field) and I got out of the car, went around like I was going to open her door for her and let her out, and I just beat the shit out of her while she was still seatbelted. After a few punches, I asked her if she wanted to go back to her parents. She started screaming and yelling and said yes, so I beat the shit out of her again. Then I asked her what she wanted to do. She finally got smart and said she wanted to go home. So I took her home and dared her to start trouble. I even handed her my cellphone and dialed her mom's number on the drive home. I made her talk to her mom, while daring her to fucking say something.

Before that incident, I had never laid a hand on her. But I had always threatened it. I told her "one of these days, if you don't straighten up, I'm going to lay hands on you."

All my meals have been on time, and she just recently tried to make a meatloaf. It was mediocre, but I was just thrilled that she tried.

Do with this information what you will.
>>
>>84771761
>>84771817
Vampires are not political.
>>
>>84771246
The great thing is the years 600-911 ad probably didn't exist due to Calendar distortions in an attempt to make Geiseric I a successor to Rome

Also attilla and Alaric I are the same
>>
>take person famous for killing muslims
>turn him into an anti-christian icon
how did this happen
>>
>>84769028
>>uses the word "science" even though the word was invented in the 19th century

Guess what else, people in Romania during the Middle Ages did in fact not speak English as their mother tongue!

Fucking faggot
>>
>>84771246
The great thing is the years 600-911 ad probably didn't exist due to Calendar distortions in an attempt to make Geiseric I a successor to Rome

Also attilla
and Alaric I are the same

And Rome lost the battle of Catalan fields
>>
>>84771545
It's set in the Middle Ages you fucking spastic moron, are you saying that the Catholic Church hasn't historically ostracized and incited violence towards people that threatened their worldview?
>>
Family guy atheist writing makes you believe the actual Middle Ages even existed

Mfw no one in this thread researched phantom time hypothesis and realized it's 1708
>>
>>84771600
>the whole point of religion is filling in the blanks of things we do not understand

And what fills in the blank of religion? Nostalgia pandering?
>>
File: 1499605380239.webm (3MB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
1499605380239.webm
3MB, 900x506px
Anyone saying this show is anti-religion clearly has not watched it.
>>
>>84773502
>historically ostracized and incited violence towards people that threatened their worldview?

So does the left but they aren't completely aversed to all science.
A lot of important scientists were catholic priests, but of course you'd have to actually know science to know that.
>>
File: 1481638003895.jpg (146KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1481638003895.jpg
146KB, 1920x1080px
The Castlevania games portray Christianity as something positive and counter force to Dracula. Hell Dracula hates Christianity in SOTN. Also Castlevania is based on Bram Stoker's Dracula which portrays Christianity as very much a real and good force against Vlad.

Show creator needs to put down that fedora. Men of faith aren't allergic to science.
>>
This new wave of ultra conservatism with kids on the internet is hilarious. 4chan has come a long way in 12 years
>>
>>84773502

That was never the selling point of Castlevania

It was the Belmont Clan trying to defeat Dracula and his monster army

Of this 4 episodes, the central enemy was Gresit's Church and even fucking Dracula was against them.

They could've Made this entire 4-ep season into 2 episodes and then 4 episodes of Trevor vs monsters and nobody would've complained about it.
>>
>>84771967
Meanwhile, in this day and age people all over the world are being tortured or executed for not adhering to the status quo of religious superstition

>don't u dare criticize religion though someone's feelings might get hurt bigot ;(

Your argument also has nothing to do whatsoever with the original topic
>>
File: 1478197810553.png (376KB, 636x1015px) Image search: [Google]
1478197810553.png
376KB, 636x1015px
>>
>>84773816
>The Castlevania games portray Christianity as something positive and counter force to Dracula.

pls watch the show before shitposting about it, they literally do that to repel the demons.
>>
>>84773824
It's just counter culture, being an atheist isn't edgy anymore

>>84773846
This season was just a prologue, for all you know the church was just a mcguffin to give Dracula a reason to unleash his army and won't have a major role of the plot in the future seasons
>>
>>84773745

False equivalence.

Just because a monster says "it's not God that it's bad, ITS YOU!" that doesn't mean the "le evil Church" meme gets dropped, nor the fact that the priests, monks bishops AKA representation of Christianity were authoritarian, tyrants and evil

They even put priests with Crossbows, what the fuck?
>>
The anime takes place during the 1460-1470's. This is post-Avignon papacy and the Church's highest echelons to its lowest Priests have, generally, been utterly fucking awful for nearly 200 years. No one on this fucking board knows anything about history. The time in which Castlevania takes place is probably one of the most corrupt times for the Church, period. We're a mere 10 years away from Pope Alexander VI and Cesare Borgia using the Papacy as his personal bank.
>>
>>84773900

Actually, thanks to le evil christianity , Dracula doomed Wallachia

He was in "good terms" with humans until they killed his wife with this HURR DURR SHE USES SCIENCE, NOBODY SHOULD LEARN SCIENCE SHES A WITCH meme
>>
>>84773900
I did. The fourth episode is atleast balanced but the first three episodes is literally the show creator tipping his fedora to Belmont cutting down priests talking about how corrupt their faith is. Ep4 was good though. I liked that scene in the church>>84773745

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rlohOLUi9k

Nothing beats an insane man of faith against vampires.
>>
>>84773971
shhhh don't bring actual history into this, it ruins the shitposters' narrative
>>
>>84773946

It was, but everyone expected a full season about Trevor killing Monsters, not fucking priests.

That's my main complain, also, i don't think turning Dracula into a guy that Is seeking revenge instead of the epitome of evil was a good idea
>>
>>84773971
>literally all the priests and nuns were evil!!!
Nice history
>>
>>84774087
>actual history
>show has actual vampires and shiet.
wouldnt that make them the good guys?
>>
>>84772832
>first scene shows the field of skeletons of people he killed in cruel way
>literally unleashes armies of hell on innocent people with the intention of genociding the whole country
>kinda became good
negro, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>84770847
>yea keyword there is "the last episode"
You mean the same episode where the demons get a speaking part where they bash on god and religion? Oh wait, that's not what happened. They explicitly suggest that the Abrahamic God exists but that He doesn't condone what the church has been doing when it comes to genocide and killing nonbelievers.

You're so obviously looking for what you already want/expect to find that your biases are blinding you to any sort of actual analysis or criticism. You recognize that "the speakers" are a religion as well right? And that they're portrayed as essentially good if somewhat naive?
>>
>>84774135
nice strawman, where the shows implies that literally all the priests and nuns were evil?
>>
>>84774298

Read again nigger, he BECAME good after she met his wife, he started to travel the world peacefully to learn about humanity.

He (re)turns evil because they killed her, and he even gave them 1 year to try to fix everything, but the Church went full FUCK YOU FAGGOT and this Is how the series begins.
>>
>>84774106
that's his story in the games
initially he had a beef with god, after his wife is burned at the stake his beef extends to humanity and declares war upon them
>>
>Trevor Belmont instead of Simon or Soma Cruz
>>
>>84774747
yeah let's start off the show with soma cruz, it's not like it would confuse the audiences or anything
>>
>>84773881
Atheists have killed more people in the last 100 years than Chrstians have in the last 2000.
>>
File: fedora.jpg (290KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
290KB, 900x1200px
>>84773824
>Everyone who doesn't like obvious fedora fagging is just a contrarian, lol
>>
>>84773502
I haven't been brainwashed by warmed over reformation propaganda, so no.
>>
>>84774912
you realize that you are the new fedoras right? fedora tipping is not about whether you belive in god or not, no one cares about that, it's about being an obnoxious self righteous cunt on a crusade about it
>>
>>84773846
they are just setting up shit from future games
The church initially shuns the Belmonts but supports their efforts after Trevor saves Wallachia from Dracula the first time, they just decided to set that up with a corrupt bishop getting btfo, the corrupt bishop will also probably become Shaft later down the line
the whole backstory about Dracula's wife wasn't even in cv3 initially
>>
File: languages.png (1MB, 1896x950px) Image search: [Google]
languages.png
1MB, 1896x950px
>>84769072
It has a bunch of languages, unfortunately no Japanese. I guess you'll just have to cuddle up with your body pillow waifu and go beat off to Naruto instead.
>>
>>84774991
So you calling anyone who doesn't like bad writing an edgy teen doesn't count as being a fedora?
>>
>>84774814
this just proves you can be way more efficient if you don't have your mind boggled by fairytales
>>
>>84774991
>atheists so desperate to escape the fedora meme
Never gonna happen. You will never successfully reapply it to anything else.
>>
>>84773971
>The anime takes place during the 1460-1470's. This is post-Avignon papacy and the Church's highest echelons to its lowest Priests have, generally, been utterly fucking awful for nearly 200 years.
Really? If the church was so awful and anti-science during that time, how do you account for the likes of Roger Bacon, Walter Burley, Nicholas of Cusa, Richard of Wallingford, Thomas Bradwardine, Robert Grosseteste, Albertus Magnus, John Peckham, Duns Scotus, John Dumbleton, Richard Swineshead, Jean Buridan or the massive list of other Christian scientists during that period?
>>
>>84772415
lol
try fossil fuels kiddo
capitalism isn't responsible for anything lol
>>
>>84770847
Not true. There was a bro priest helping out. The villagers turned on the thuggish ones only.

You are a butthurt faggot trying to push an agenda.
>>
>>84775264
You recognize that someone can be Christian without being part of the church right? Just like you can be a citizen without being part of its government?
>>
File: commie breadlines.jpg (86KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
commie breadlines.jpg
86KB, 600x450px
>>84775386
While all those examples of non-Capitalist countries were such wild successes, amirite?
>>
>>84775460
Not in the 1200-1400's, retard. That's why being excommunicated back then was a huge deal.
>>
>>84769028
It's seemed OK, it sure is not a mongolian cartoon with em cute girls and really gay protagonist. The violence was fun but nothing of value.
>>
>>84775460
What does that have to do with his comment?
>>
is it just Hellsing with a different coat of paint? because, i gotta tell you, it looks like Hellsing with a different coat of paint.
>>
>>84775460
>pre Protestant Reformation
>being Christian but not being part of the Church
Is this what passes for European education?
>>
>>84775460
Most of those guys were friars, priests, monks, etc.

Of course the argument is meaningless because ecclesiastical pathways were generally the only way to get a good education in most of medieval Europe, so of course most educated people are going to be a part of the church. That doesn't mean that education wouldn't exist without the church.

And the existence of a minority of scientifically minded ecclesiastics (deriving their mindset from the Greco-Islamic tradition) doesn't really refute the idea that the majority of priests were assholes or that religion was generally bad. Maybe drawing attention to church-run hospitals would be more reasonable.
>>
>>84775264

Fedoracuck BTFO
>>
>>84770847
>All priests corrupt
No, the Bishop was essentially trying to turn Wallachia into his own personal fiefdom. He didn't give a shit, he was using religion as an excuse.
>Dracula says "your god"
Because Dracula does not hold God sacred, so it's not HIS god, it's YOUR god.
>Demons bash god
The blue-toothed demon says God exists but the bishops' behaviour is unsanctioned, they can also come inside his church because it's been abandoned by god, no holy power is there to repel them.

It's not fedora-tipping, it's literally just "these criminals are masquerading as priests because people are more easily controlled that way". The actual good priest is never seen doing anything bad and is praised by Trevor himself for a job well done.

Also science as a word was used because it's being watched in modern times and it's easier for the audience to understand. These things are considerations you make in the industry.
>>
>>84775676
Except the point being made was how anti-science the church was when you're discussing a point in history where virtually ALL scientific progress was being made by the church.

Of course, this is the same tired circular argument it's always been.
>Christians: the universe began with the big bang
>Fedoras: LMAO yea rite, an explosion created everything magically? was it a spaghetti monster explosion you backwards fucks?
>big bang theory becomes mainstream
>Fedoras: LMAO christens think the universe probebly started when god sed let there be light, they dont even know about my big bang theory
>>
>>84775676
>That doesn't mean that education wouldn't exist without the church.

Not as we know it now, but modern education is largely a product of the church.

>And the existence of a minority of scientifically minded ecclesiastics (deriving their mindset from the Greco-Islamic tradition)

The fuck on you on about? There was no "Greco-Islamic" tradition. The most the Islamic scholars contributed was a few translations, which were hardly lost to the western world as Islamic apologists would have you believe.

>The great writings of the classical era, particularly those of Greece … were always available to the Byzantines and to those Western peoples in cultural and diplomatic contact with the Eastern Empire.… Of the Greek classics known today, at least seventy-five percent are known through Byzantine copies.

https://voxday.blogspot.com/search?q=christian+islamic

Also, nearly all priests were trained in Natural Philosophy as part of their education, not a "minority of scientifically minded ecclesiastics".
>>
Hey when were vampires real? Like, what year was the first real, blood-sucking, invincible vampire created? I wanna know so I can make sure your argument holds any water.
>>
>>84769072
Is this capeshit? It has American VA or is japanese dub only

If it's japanese I won't watch it.
>>
>>84775825

Dude, literally every priest has a weapon, all of them were bad.

Just because ONE guy used Holy water to defend himself from a monster, that doesn't mean a lot of them were good.
>>
>>84773502
not realy considering religion brought you the Cyrillic alphabet witch is objectively against ignorance.
And basically the only people who preserved some knowledge doing the middle ages where monks.
>>
>>84775676
But there were nearly six dozen universities of higher education founded throughout that time period in Christian lands. Moreover, members of the mid and upper classes were shamed if they weren't literate and at least reasonably schooled. And while education was done primarily through the church, it wasn't purely ecclesiastical like you claim. That's the equivalent of saying that only future teachers go to school.
>>
File: IMG_0376.jpg (69KB, 458x599px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0376.jpg
69KB, 458x599px
This was written by warren ellis it's not anime. And he is the fedora tipper you imagine
>>
>>84776051
Yes, all those priests were under the employ of the bishop. That one guy might have been, but he was an actual confirmed priest. the rest are implied to have just been random thugs and criminals wearing the robes.

Trevor exact's request "I need a priest, one who was properly ordained, in a church". Ergo, we can assume that guy was the only properly ordained one, also in a church. For all we know the bishop just forgave a bunch of crimes in some dark alleyway, gave them robes and told them to shut the fuck up, they're priests now.
>>
>Main character is wrongly-excommunicated christfag from a long line of christfags who kills demons and shit with a consecrated whip and holy water
>God is explicitly stated to be real, but doesn't feel any need to protect corrupt asshole priests from demons

WOW SUCH ATHEIST PROPAGANDA
>>
>>84775879
Not all scientific progress came from the church. Cartographic advances apparent in Portolan charts were either pioneered by Italian merchants or revived from classical times. Most advances in technology were made by secular artisans. Clockwork may have been pioneered by astrologers rather than monasteries, even if they did come to be used by churches.

>>84775932
Medieval sources frequently cited Islamic scholars like Averroes, Avicenna, al-Kindi, Alhazen, etc. Some scholars like al-Idrisi even worked for Christian rulers. Crucial classical texts like Aristotle were largely reintroduced through Arabic translations, though in the Renaissance most were later replaced by more accurate translations from Greek. Aristotle was primarily known through Averroes, to the point that Aristotlean philosophy was known as Averroism. So yes, in the Middle Ages Greek knowledge was generally seen through an Islamic lense. Muslims had continued the intellectual tradition of the Greeks in areas like geography, astronomy, medicine, optics and speculative philosophy, much of which entered the West through them. Unfortunately not all of their advancements made it to the West, like the work of ibn Nafis or al-Tusi, but enough did to set the stage for the flourishing of science in thd High Medieval West.
>>
>>84773816
>The Castlevania games portray Christianity as something positive and counter force to Dracula

That would be the obvious dynamic to use in this series, even with prominent authority figures in the church being corrupt and wicked. The writers couldn't bring themselves to let go of their militant atheism to do that, though, and the show really suffered from that, I think.
>>
>>84776223
>God is explicitly stated to be real
Only after spending the first 3/4ths of the series shitting all over the idea of god even existing in the first place. Shoddy writing there
>>
>>84776427
Who were those Italian merchants and astrologers educated by? That's correct. The Church.

And if there were a dearth of scientific advancement during the Middle Ages, it would solely be the fault of Islam. Once they swept through the Mediterranean and swallowed the whole seat of the Roman and Byzantine empire, they had the accumulated learning at their disposal and made pathetically little strides forward in the following centuries. While Christians cosigned to north and western Europe continued to advance and build universities and monasteries far and wide, recording and preserving knowledge, Islam rested on their Greecian laurels.
>>
>>84776098
It's true that later in the Middle Ages education expanded outside of the church, and it's no coincidence that this occured alongside the flourishing of the sciences. But theology was always the central concern of education, and the best educated were generally expected to become ecclesiastics. In this environment it was fairly inevitable that the majority of scholarship would come from the church.

If the church hadn't existed education certainly still would have. Whether it would be better or worse is impossible to determine.
>>
>>84776179
Leave it to reddit to draw exculpating conclusions from between lines in a series that clearly didn't put in that level of attention in its conception. Fucking jackoffs
>>
>>84776167
I fucking KNEW it
>>
>>84776179

Them being thugs and criminals Is fucking headcannon

Just accept it, every priest, except one guy, were evil.
>>
>>84771600
tipped
>>
>/co/ and /vr/ are discussing the plot, animation and connection with the games
>/tv/ is discussing /pol/itics

Really fires up the synapses
>>
>>84776642
>Who were those Italian merchants and astrologers educated by? That's correct. The Church.
I'm not sure about that. Nobody knows exactly who pioneered portolan charts or clockwork, so it's impossible to say for certain. It's clear that they derived their accomplishments from the classical world though, clockwork being derived from the geared mechanism of the ancient and Islamic worlds, and portolan charts possibly based on ancient Greek maps.

>If there were a dearth of scientific advancement during the Middle Ages
There wasn't.

>it would solely be the fault of Islam. Once they swept through the Mediterranean and swallowed the whole seat of the Roman and Byzantine empire, they had the accumulated learning at their disposal and made pathetically little strides forward in the following centuries.
Byzantium also had access to that learning, and more, and did less with it. While it's true that Muslims didn't surpass the ancient Greeks, for several centuries they did make significant advancements in areas I already mentioned, far more than what Christians were doing at the same time and earlier. They revived scholarship that had decline in Rome/Byzantium centuries ago. Western Christians only really caught up in the 13th century.
>>
>>84772675
>but not really in movies or TV yet
Are you high?
>Lego movie
>sausage party
>The Golden Memepass
>>
>>84776663
It's easy to determine. It would've been worse. Literally no other group, not even the nobility had the clout or ability that the Church had. These universities and monasteries were successful because they could go throughout the entirety of Christendom. They used baseline languages instead of just local dialects. The Church could reach everywhere while Monarchies were limited to their borders. No information would've been shared.
>>
>>84777156
If education could not have reached a high standard without the Church, explain the ancient Greeks.
>>
>>84776427
>Not all scientific progress came from the church

Nobody said it did, but it did come from a Catholic culture.

>Cartographic advances apparent in Portolan charts were either pioneered by Italian merchants or revived from classical times

And it likely wouldn't have advanced much had the church not considered map-making so important.

http://www.osservatoreromano.va/en/news/the-medieval-road-map-by-matthew-paris

>Most advances in technology were made by secular artisans.

That's a hard statement to qualify, and ignores the significant technological advances by monks themselves.

http://www.thefinertimes.com/Middle-Ages/technology-in-the-middle-ages.html

> Clockwork may have been pioneered by astrologers rather than monasteries, even if they did come to be used by churches.

The earliest astronomical clocks were have were literally made to measure liturgical feasts.

Isidore of Seville was making commentaries on Aristotle long before the so-called "recovery", and has has been stated, the Greek tradition was never really lost to the West in the first place. Aquinas commented on Averroes because his commentary was prominant at the time. That said, It was scholasticism that advanced Greek thought by actually questioning it. The Arabs weren't really innovaters because Islamic thought has a less rational conception of God than Catholicism does.
>>
>>84776871
no, everyONE except for a few people was evil. thats the point of dark fantasy, people are cunts in this genre
>>
>>84777091
You just parroted back what he said though. The Christians lagged behind because Islam had taken over the majority of locations where higher education for Greeks and Romans had occurred. And despite that, the Muslims had never particularly excelled. The strides Christians made WITHOUT the foundation of knowledge that Islam had stolen ultimately ended up dwarfing what Islam had done with said resources.
>>
>>84777208
Greek philosophy had already degenerated into sorcery and witchcraft by the time of the Augustine, who is largely responsible for making Platonism respectable again.
>>
>>84775480
say that to Ethiopia. Such an amazing successful capitalist country.
>>
>>84777156
Monarchies? perhaps. Empires? certainly not. Also there are many ways to ensure international cooperation such as trade, banks, schools, colleges and other institutions. Monarchies weren't hemmed into borders at any point in history.
>>
>>84777208
You just reaffirmed my point. Greece was a country and it didn't share knowledge with its neighbors. Thracians never benefited from their education and they were a bordering country. Same with the Dacians, the Illyrians, the Gauls, etc. Knowledge only spread to wherever they conquered and became part of them. So too would knowledge have been similarly held in the Middle Ages without an institution like the Church that was able to cross geopolitical lines freely and with the authority they wielded.
>>
>>84774009
If you'd have watched the show, you would understand that corrupt men in positions of power doomed Wallachia, not 'le evil Christianity'. They just happened to be using the power of the church as an excuse to sate their darker tendencies, something that is very real and every Christian should recognize as a danger of faith. Do you, as a fellow Christian, support pogroms and inquisitions? You really shouldn't.

And like the other anon said, in the last episode, the faith is used as a shield against the fiendish. Trevor's whip is consecrated and a good priest creates holy water which harms the demons. Than in itself implies that Christianity has validity in the setting. As a Christian, you shouldn't rush to judgment and try to find things to demonize and complain about. Good faith can stand up to scrutiny. Your behavior, on the other hand, is embarrassing and radical Muslim-tier.
>>
>>84777261
are you actually so retarded as to beleive Roman claims so obviously meant to discredit Greek history, to the point that it is the classical example of bias? Fucking hell.
>>
>>84777453
Bullshit, unless you can name a single Empire in history that freely shared knowledge with its enemies.
>>
>>84775127
>ReligTARDS kill more people than anyONE!
>That's actually false, atheist kill more people in a century than Christians in 2 millennium
>BAHAHA funDIES and fairy tales can't kill gud enough ;^)

>ywn move goalpost as fast as this blant b8ter
>>
>>84777611
Neoplatonism before Augustine was literally just witchcraft, bro.
>>
>>84777219
>Nobody said it did, but it did come from a Catholic culture.
That's exactly what the post said.

>And it likely wouldn't have advanced much had the church not considered map-making so important
The church was interested in mappamundi, didactic maps of no relevance to the rise of modern cartography.

>That's a hard statement to qualify, and ignores the significant technological advances by monks themselves.
I'm aware monks made advances. I'm refuting the idea they made all of them, which is what that post said.

>The earliest astronomical clocks were have were literally made to measure liturgical feasts.
The earliest surviving clocks are in churches and monasteries, but the earliest recorded were in Italian towns and were sources of civic pride. There was an interest in timekeeping throughout urban societies in Eurasia at this time, an similar devices were pioneered in China, so there's no reason to assume only monks could have pioneered clockmaking.

>Isidore of Seville was making commentaries on Aristotle long before the so-called "recovery", and has has been stated, the Greek tradition was never really lost to the West in the first place.
Most of it was. Only a very small amount of Aristotle's work, and Greek literature in general, was present in Western Europe before the 12th century.

>Aquinas commented on Averroes because his commentary was prominant at the time. That said, It was scholasticism that advanced Greek thought by actually questioning it. The Arabs weren't really innovaters because Islamic thought has a less rational conception of God than Catholicism does.
Muslims very often did question Greek scholarship, in areas like optics, astronomy and medicine. You can just look up the scholars I've already mentioned. In fact the questioning of Greek scholarship eventually got out of hand, to the point where it was rejected, this being one of the reasons for its decline.
>>
>>84777614
well an example is the compass, which first entered Europe from the Islamic powers around the 1300s, by 1350 pretty much every European power was making and using compasses.
>>
>>84777260
>The Christians lagged behind because Islam had taken over the majority of locations where higher education for Greeks and Romans had occurred.
Byzantium had access to more texts than the Islamic world did. Muslims actually got many of their texts from Byzantium itself rather than just the lands they conquered.

>The strides Christians made WITHOUT the foundation of knowledge that Islam had stolen ultimately ended up dwarfing what Islam had done with said resources.
Western Christians made strides in science only after they inherited the knowledge of the Classical and Islamic worlds, and their accomplishments only began to draft those of Islam after the invention of the printing press.
>>
File: 104457.jpg (98KB, 1286x1085px) Image search: [Google]
104457.jpg
98KB, 1286x1085px
>Catholicism
>Christianity
>>
>>84777586

>YEAH BAD PEOPLE THAT WERE IN CHARGE OF THE ONLY CHURCH WERE BAD

>BUT THE CHURCH IS NOT BAD!

2/10 Try again.

That priest used Holy water to defend from the monsters that were going to kill him, ir was a survival situation, not because the priest was good.
>>
>>84772226
sorcery and hocus pocus
>>
>>84777777
>>
>>84778012
You're genuinely an idiot. Trevor expressed surprise and said something like, "wow, he actually made holy water." It wouldn't have worked if he wasn't a good priest. Also, his consecrated whip would not be effective at all. The setting lends itself to power existing through the church. It didn't have anything to do with what motivated the priest to make the holy water -- the fact that he could make it at all validates him as not being evil.
>>
>>84769213
>Religion is bad
No people using religion to advance their own goals is bad.
They literally had a priest making holy water to fight demons thus confirming God is real.
Castlevania has always been pro religion it just shows that they are corrupt people in the church (just like everywhere)
Also Dracula was originally an alchemist named Mathies who studied the sciences and created what is basically the philosophers stone so if anything science is shown to be evil you butt sniffing retard.
>>
>>84771600

The conflict thesis has been debunked since the 70s, bitch nigga.
>>
>>84777518
Greek knowledge spread from Afghanistan to Spain, whether because of Greek conquests to the east or others conquering the Greeks. There was no shortage of conquests and migrations in medieval Europe with Normans ruling from England to Sicily for example.

In the Islamic world scholars from Spain to Transoxiana were in communication despite political fragmentation. They didn't need monasteries or churches to share knowledge, only the ability to travel to wherever local rulers wee willing to patronize their work. Books were widely distributed and moved easily across political and sectarian borders. Some scholars even worked for Christians.

Knowledge was never something easily monopolized, and outside of military technologies there was never much desire to do so anyway.
>>
Aren't the Belmonts basically the sword of the church (or whip, fuck you, whatever), anyways?
>>
>>84776871

Gee it's almost like the Church was such an insular entity that everyone covered for everyone to the point of absolute corruption.

Why does that sound familiar? Like it's something that's happened many many many many many times before. Strange innit?
>>
>>84778341

No they were originally ran out of Transylvania until Dracula came to fuck shit up and nobody could do anything so the Church had to tuck their tail between their legs and come to the Belmonts for help. The Netflix series follows the story of Castlevania III.
>>
>>84769028
nah, it goes nowhere. literally nothing happens for 4 episodes, and then it ends.
>>
>>84771600
>I don't know anything about religion or Thomas Aquinas
>>
>>84778492
Fuck off, kike.
>>
>>84777811
>The church was interested in mappamundi, didactic maps of no relevance to the rise of modern cartography.

Tell that top Fra Mauro.

>I'm aware monks made advances. I'm refuting the idea they made all of them, which is what that post said.

That's not what I said, I was attacking your deliberate downplaying of all the advances that were made because of the Church.

>The earliest surviving clocks are in churches and monasteries, but the earliest recorded were in Italian towns and were sources of civic pride. There was an interest in timekeeping throughout urban societies in Eurasia at this time, an similar devices were pioneered in China, so there's no reason to assume only monks could have pioneered clockmaking.

See my above comment.

>Most of it was. Only a very small amount of Aristotle's work, and Greek literature in general, was present in Western Europe before the 12th century.

Nigger, I already told you that only a quarter of classical texts came from Islamic sources, and those probably would have been transmitted earlier if not for Islamic attacks on the Mediterranean.

>Muslims very often did question Greek scholarship, in areas like optics, astronomy and medicine. You can just look up the scholars I've already mentioned. In fact the questioning of Greek scholarship eventually got out of hand, to the point where it was rejected, this being one of the reasons for its decline.

And yet, most the actually work in "Islamic" science was done by Persian or Christian dhimmis.

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/myths/science.aspx
>>
>>84777960
The Arab world had forgotten the wheel.
>>
>>84775264

Being generally awful is not being anti-science. Never once in that post did I argue that the Church as a whole is Anti-Science. I am very well aware of the Church's contributions to universities and the intelligentsia.

Also, merely because a couple of rogue bishops are using eastern slavic myths and anti science rhetoric to further their agendas, doesn't make the show anti-christian.

You're arguing against something in the post which is never argued. Nice job picking those names out of an infograph instead out of Will Durant's 'Story of Civilization' which sits beside my desk, you mouth-breathing pseudo-intellectual.
>>
>Amerifat """""""""""""""""""""""anime"""""""""""""""""""""""""

No thanks
Thread posts: 241
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.