[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't people like Batman Forever? >not as campy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_8192.jpg (313KB, 1208x1682px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8192.jpg
313KB, 1208x1682px
Why don't people like Batman Forever?

>not as campy as the 60s show
>not as dark and morbid as the Burton movies
>not as serious and pretentious as the Nolan movies
>not as goofy and satirical as Batman and Robin

It's the right mix of action, drama, comedy, for a summer blockbuster movie. The thing is, back in 1995 nobody really even hated it. It got great reviews, did extremely well at the box office and was well liked. Now? Everyone on the internet mocks it as this awful shit fest. Rottentomatoes has this in the 30s, young youtube critics are always knocking it and everyone seems to shit on it. I just watched it last night and I don't even get what's wrong with it. I don't think it's the best one or that Kilmer is better than Keaton or Bale, but it's a good flick.

It's the only Batman movie that has a legitimately great first 20 mins. The booming Elliot Goldenthal score, Batman suiting up, then the bank heist and helicopter chase. I can't think of a better opening for a BATMAN movie where it actually had Batman all suited up, doing Batman stuff.

It seems people rip it for not taking it self super seriously and cracking jokes, but it's atleast as good as the Marvel Studios shit, right? I just don't get it. I can't think of a better Batman movie for kids and adults alike. It's severely underrated and under appreciated. I can't believe it's 20th anniversary wasn't even celebrated besides tearing it apart in blogs.
>>
It's not completely terrible but it was going in the direction of Batman and Robin which was one of the worst films ever made. When Batman and Robin came out it just highlighted all the bad notes in Batman Forever. If they had a really good sequel after people would probably list it as "the okay one" in the series but it gets thrown under the bus along with B&R.

I liked Kilmer as Batman.
>>
>>84739529
It's camp without going full camp, it's a chimera.

>>84739634
Fuck you, I liked B&R.
>>
Just because it did well back in the day doesn't mean it automatically stands the test of time. In 1995 it was refreshing, I dug it, but it doesn't hold up today. Are people too harsh on it? Sure, but that's only because we're exposed to tons of cape shit every single year. If it had been Schumacher's only movie, it might have had a better shelf life, but Batman and Robin destroyed any legacy it could have had. Forever gets lumped in with B&R because B&R is basically a louder, brighter, obnoxious remake of Forever. Same music, same beats, etc. etc. No thought went into Batman and Robin, it went into production as soon as Batman Forever was a hit.

And let's not kid ourselves, Forever was a safe, by the numbers movie. The reason the Burton and Nolan films are so beloved is because they changed things up. Forever is your typical capeshit with your quips and the merchandising appeal. It's forgettable blockbuster tripe, which is exactly why it was a success in the 90s but nobody gives a shit about it now. In that sense, I guess it is like the MCU and Disney stuff. Good theater experience but ultimately forgotten once you leave your seat.

If WB hadn't gotten greedy, we'd have either gotten a third Burton Batman outing or, they would have let Schumacher keep in the substance he had for the movie to give it some depth instead of being a full on light show and joke fest. There's some good shit in that script about Batman/Bruce Wayne's psyche, a lot of it filmed, but that's not what Warner Bros. wanted. They wanted a popcorn flick, so that's what they got.

I'm still fond of some of the aspects of it (I can't fathom why people have a problem with Jim as the Riddler and Jones Two-Face, it's the only capeshit where the multiple villains works), but I don't think about it until other people bring it up.
>>
>>84739634

Is Kilmer the best Batman/Bruce Wayne?
>>
>>84739529
Tommy Lee Jones played and absolutely fantastic Joker... But he was cast as Two-Face
>>
File: IMG_8127.jpg (60KB, 645x269px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8127.jpg
60KB, 645x269px
>>84740237

I liked his Bruce Wayne and the subplot where Nygma idolized him.

Kilmer was the first playboy/philanthropist/entrepreneur Wayne on screen.
>>
THERE USED TO BE
>>
>>84739529
Two-Face ruins it and all the goddamned neon for no reason.
It's not full retarded like Batman & Robin and suffers for it. The very arguments you make For it are why it actually fails worse than B&R
>>
>>84739789
>I liked B&R
Ironically?
It is one of the worst-looking and poorly acted films ever made. Genuinely terrible.
>>
The metal island is where it gets too stupid. But I liked how batshit insane and obsessed Two-Face was about killing Batman.
>>
Why do people hate Two-Face? I unironically think he's better than the bland, one note Aaron Eckhart Dent from TDK. Atleast he actually seemed to have a split personality and obsession with 2's. True, we have yet to get a Two-Face that was the quality of the Bruce Timm/Paul Dini animated series Dent, but I thought Tommy Lee was fine for the purpose of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QedVjF5vpQE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiwItbTiqAs

As a kid, I always wondered why Two-Face was never in the Adam West show. Forever Two-Face was the answer to that missing piece.
>>
Forever is still the best 90s Batman. That GOAT soundtrack.

Some fan made a dark fanedit, which added in all the scenes from the movie that were more serious in nature. Check it out sometime, the original batman forever had scenes about murder, and bruce coming to terms with his parents and why he needs to be Batman. If they left those in, it wouldve been an amazing movie

>GOAT Title sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfha9jukNH8 [Embed]
>Original Dark opening sequence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4HczEQaVCc [Embed]
>Link to the "Red Book" fanedit
https://mega.co.nz/#!a5hViKKQ!kvUehV4__gvUTa8sInyG4TvV1y-CCxCa_FY529C7do0
>Deleted Scenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfzzal8keIU [Embed]
>Two face tells Batman he's just as a much a killer as he
>Gotham News wants Batman to fuck off and leave their city alone
>Batman shows up at a haircutters place and gets laughed out of the building
>Alfred tells Bruce his parents are avenged and stop being Batman
>Bruce learns that his parents death wasn't his fault and has an epiphany
>>
>>84740446
It's fun as fuck though
>>
>>84740599
Fact: Two-Face has never been as /fa/ as he was in Batman Forever.
>>
>>84739529

I liked it as a kid, but I haven't watched it in a long time.

Batman Returns and Batman Begins are the only ones that I enjoy and can rewatch.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.