[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paterson is a far better art film than any of Refn's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: paterson.jpg (83KB, 506x755px) Image search: [Google]
paterson.jpg
83KB, 506x755px
Paterson is a far better art film than any of Refn's pretentious nonsense.
>>
>>84614810
I don't see why would you compare the work of Jim Jarmusch with Refn entirely different types of films.
>>
>>84614810
I am inclined to agree with you, because Paterson is easily the best conservative film of the last ten years.
>pushes traditional gender roles
>has a comfortable admiration for Eisenhower-era America
>glorifies no degenerate behavior. the one character who comes close is instantly squashed
>realistically portrays the vices and virtues of being working class
>>
>>84614810
I thought it was great. But, why the comparison?
>>
>>84614810
I agree, but the creative goals are so different that it's kind of dumb to compare them. And Jarmusch has been doing this for like 15 years longer than Refn.
>>
>>84614914
What are the creative goals of Jarmusch and Refn respectively?
>>
>>84615083
Not him, but I think Jarmusch is about
>showing a foreigner's perspective of America
>showing an American's perspective on America
>letting characters get into off-beat hijinks that may or may not teach them a lesson

and Refn is more about
>frustrated young men and women
>seediness
>an emphasis on friendship
>an emphasis on unrequited love
>>
>>84614810
I cried when the Japanese man gave him a new notebook
>>
>>84615270
>and Refn is more about
>>frustrated young men and women
>>seediness
>>an emphasis on friendship
>>an emphasis on unrequited love
Literally described the Pusher trilogy. Well done, very observant.
>>
>>84615270
I'd say at their most basic, Jarmusch is using slice-of-life things to show truths about life and Refn is trying to recreate emotions visually.
>>
>>84615327
....Uh huh.
>>
>>84615083
Jarmusch usually goes for low-key naturalism in writing & performance, Refn goes for the polar opposite (except the Pusher films) - hyper-stylized performances & dialogue, and a heightened sort of fairy-tale/myth approach to the characterization & storytelling.

The only comparison I can see between the two of them is in their camera & editing choices, they both have a cool minimalist thing going on with long takes in still compositions. but even then, the lighting & mood is totally different
>>
>>84614810
It's the only movie in a long time I didn't regret watching in the theaters. It's a beautiful demonstration about how prosaic life becomes poetic. I don't know if I make sense though.
>>
>>84616738
I think you do.
>>
>>84617337
I guess I was also trying to say that I liked the modesty of the demonstration too. That's what made it great.
>>
>>84614810
Should I watch this, or one of his older films? I've seen a few (7 to be exact) but some are just terrible, like Coffee and Cigarettes, The Limits of Control, and Only Lovers Left Alive. The latter especially is too on-the-nose and personal and thus feels absolutely contrived, e.g. self-sustaining energy in a Detroit backyard, "most treasured books" include Infinite Jest, etc; Jarmusch should have removed himself completely instead of framing his reading list and Tesla ideals of what-if. I've also notice his somewhat-preachy inclusion of minorities, but maybe I'm looking to far into that (e.g. notice the contrast to, say, David Lynch).
Anyway:
>broken flowers > stranger than paradise > mystery train > dead man > the three aforementioned I've seen
>>
>>84618035
>"most treasured books" include Infinite Jest,
And the problem with this is...?
>>
>>84618035
There's actually nothing pretentious in Paterson, for once Jarmusch seems to have his shit together. Watch it and you'll thank me later?
>>
File: 1490336659494.png (537KB, 732x743px) Image search: [Google]
1490336659494.png
537KB, 732x743px
>>84618090
Like I wrote, it's clearly Jarmusch's personal reading list he's deciding to share with the audience. Tilda Swinton caressing it gently and calling it "treasured" makes absolutely no sense for a centuries-old vampire - the book isn't even old, it's not like you can't buy it in mint print at any bookstore or online. And neither is it a fountain of irreplaceable knowledge (in fact, DFW makes certain elements up, like the chemistry). What would make sense is an ancient scroll of some kind, or similar, not "Urine trouble? Urine luck!".
And the free energy element that is just glanced over is unforgivable - for all of Adam's complaining, he could share such physics-defying energy with the world and propel humanity into a new age of science, if not save the world outright. But no, it's shown buried in the backyard of some Detroit shithole and that's it. The film's points is too contrived.
>>84618178
I'll watch it then, thanks.
>>
>>84614871
girlfriend was a complete total nutcase, guy deserved better
>>
>>84619475
What? In what sense? She was a bit pushy at times but she was extremely supportive of him.
>>
>>84614810
I really enjoyed it, maybe my favorite movie of the year. The actors and Driver in particular were very good. What other Jarmusch films are good? I didn't like Dead Man that much.

I never understood Refn, his aesthetics are enticing but I don't find much beside that
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.