[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently watched the film "The Fountain" (2006) and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_4390.jpg (42KB, 500x567px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4390.jpg
42KB, 500x567px
Recently watched the film "The Fountain" (2006) and I really liked it. What do you think about it? Can you recommend some deep and sad movies?
>>
Is that Drake and Stevie?
>>
>>84601951
I marathoned the trailer, seems pretty boring
>>
>>84601951
>The Fountain
>deep
this is an 18+ website
>>
One of the best movies of the last decade. True existencial kino
>>
One of my all time favorite.
It's usualy my pleb filter when i bring a chick home.
>>
>>84601990
shitty opinion
>can't spell "existential"
yeah that makes sense coming from a fan of Darren Aronofsky
>>
>>84601951
It's not deep but it's a good romance.

One thing I cannot forgot tho was reading interview of Hugh Jackman saying that "It makes me realize I love my wife". That's his thoughts on working on this movie. On every other movie actually.
>>
>>84602227

Good guys like him have a limited space in their brain left for thinking because all the goodness needs to take place somewhere.
>>
>>84601951
Prime Rachael canned.
>>
>>84601951
When you think about it it's about a man working hard to improve himself and sacrificing it al for a woman he hardly met

How is that space tree related to the life of the woman though? That space tree is the universe right? Why is he treating it like the woman?
>>
>>84602299

It's just his way of finishing her story.
>>
>>84601951
Watched it a couple of months ago, one of the best movies i've seen. Watched it 3 times in a week, should probably watch it again soon.
>>
>>84601951
Thanks anon for reminding me of this kino, haven't watched it in years. I'm gonna dig it out and watch it tonight.
Also nearly all the "cgi" was practical effects, if they had more money they would have gone full Lucas and it would look like dogshit today. Thank god for tight budgets
>>
>>84601951
It's one of those movies which either you absolutely love it or dislike it.
>>
>>84601951
Its kino the only thing like it is other aronofsky. And good fantasy like lotr and hp
>>
So the theme of movie is this:
1. Conquistadors raid America because he has masochist love for his queen
2. He can't save her. Tragedy.
3. He drank space tree syrup and can keep his love through out reincarnation.
4. A cancer doctor cannot save his love
5. Doc's lesson this life is to learn to staying with his wife in her remaining days rather than working on the project too far away
6. The space traveler guy now has both science and meditation
7. His lesson is to sacrifice himself and end his reincarnation
8. The universe is rebooted
>>
>>84602299
>How is that space tree related to the life of the woman though? That space tree is the universe right? Why is he treating it like the woman?
it's either a metaphor and how he finished wifes book, or literal tree that grew over her grave (he planted the seed of immortality tree there), and he achieved immortality himself after his wife died, hence the tattoos marking the passing of time. either way he took the tree to the star where Indians belived souls of the dead go his wife told him about. ambiguity wether it was just a story or really happened is intentional so we won't be able to tell.
>>
>>84601951
What's your opinion about the future Tom? , some say he was imaginary as the past Tom, But I think not.
I believe the present Tom and the future Tom are the same. It's shown that he comes to know of some tree which increases your life span. I Believe he has created medicine from it, and is able to live for multiple centuries. And the bubble he is travelling in is basically a very advanced space ship. Also the tree grew from the seed he planted on his wife's grave.
>>
>>84602890
He found secret to immortality. Future Tom is real, The bubble is a very advanced space ship. That tree grew from his wife's grave.
>>
File: 149874465.jpg (8KB, 250x228px) Image search: [Google]
149874465.jpg
8KB, 250x228px
>>84602881
the conquistador and the space story were metaphors and a coping mechanism for our protag m8. i haven't seen this film in ages but even I remember the wife's love of fiction novels.
>>
>>84602945
Conquistador story is fictional but space story is not.
>>
>>84602980
>>84602940
I agree, but that is still just an interpretation, movie is ambigious on purpuse
>>
>>84602980
Conquistador story is the wife's storytelling
Present day is real
Future story is the husband's storytelling
>>
>>84602980

Wrong.

He completes her story the only way he can, by writing a scifi chapter.
>>
>>84603007
>movie is ambigious on purpuse
but its not ambiguous. it makes it very clear what actually doesn't take place and what does.
also
>purpuse
pleb detected
>>
>>84603007
Yes I guess, ending is open to interpretation.
>>
File: the-fountain.jpg (977KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
the-fountain.jpg
977KB, 1920x1080px
>>84602945
disagree, conquistador Tom was part of his wifes story but she never got to finish it. Before she died she told present day Tom to do so, he couldn't handle her death so he went on to find the secret of immortality and went to the Nebula to find her and finally finish it. Future Tom is real, he has the same tattoo on his finger that present day Tom gave himself in place of his wedding ring.

It's nice to actually discuss a film on this for a change
>>
>>84603072
>he couldn't handle her death so he went on to find the secret of immortality and went to the Nebula to find her and finally finish it

m8 how daft are you
>>
File: cinemaparadiso.jpg (55KB, 669x425px) Image search: [Google]
cinemaparadiso.jpg
55KB, 669x425px
>>84601951
I can recommend Cinema Paradiso, Italian kino about life, love and loss
>>
>>84603139
It is explicitly mentioned in the movie that he comes to know about some tree in south America which gives long life span ( basically immortality)
>>
>>84603139
>>84603178
and he planted the seed of that tree over wifes grave
>>
>>84603139
He was basically immortal, he was always searching for a path out of his grief. He went to the Nebula on the tree ship (which his wife pointed out) because that's where the story was to end, she said so herself. Watch it again, future Tom was real.
>>
>>84603178

Yes, he "comes to know" that so he writes a final chapter for the book by using that as a part of his narrative.

He doesn't actually become immortal and fly a bubble spaceship until the end of universe, you dingus.
>>
>>84603190
And he also started researching on it.
There can be more than one seed, right?
>>
>>84602881
>>84602904
>>84602940
>>84602980
>>84603032
>>84603064

How i understood it.
The medieval spain story was simply the book Isabel wrote. Tom learns about all the Maya reincarnation magic and the magic tree from her book.

Using the samples of the tree that they had previously used on that monkey in the lab, he makes himself immortal in search of a way to bring her back, knowing Isabel is in that space cloud of souls, makes him seek it out.

After millenias, technology is so advanced and engrained in everything around us. Knowing he will be traveling for thousands of years, he uses the tree grown upon Isabel's body as a basis for a spaceship using this awesome technology, as a reminder of why he's traveling along the journey.

During the long journey, he understands that death isnt the end, "Death is the road to awe", and that they will be able to be together in death.

I dont understand exactly what the ending when the conquistador drinks the sap from the tree and becomes part of the earth means. But probably something about how he becomes part of the universe and everything around him, just like Isabel did. I remember Isabel explained how a dead creature becomes of the surrounding nature, and that she will look upon him as the birds and trees when she's dead, or something like that.

Gonna have to watch it again to get the full picture, but i think thats basicly it.
>>
>>84603204
It is also a sci fi film, of course it is possible.
>>
>>84603231
rigt. I don't disagree with you, it confirms the version about the real astronaut and reinforces the theme about reincarnation through nature and cycle of life
>>
>>84603237
>I dont understand exactly what the ending when the conquistador drinks the sap from the tree and becomes part of the earth means. But probably something about how he becomes part of the universe and everything around him, just like Isabel did.
I think one of the main themes is that people hang on to life at the cost of everything else. The conquistador is willing to murder people in order to achieve ever lasting life for himself and his queen but in the end he is still separated from her. Present/furure Tom clings on to life, tending the tree after everything is gone, he is the only one left. He thinks that once he reaches the nebula he will find the answer, that is all he has left. This is shown when the tree and thus he starts to die, he starts to freak out that he won't survive to reach his destination.
He is a scientist, he cannot imagine a life after death and thus tries to solve all his problems with logic. He cannot let go of the material world until the very end and then he is truly reborn.
>>
>>84601951
pure kino with a godly soundtrack, i still listen to the OST every once in a while.
>>
>>84601951
>>84601990
>>84602000
>>84602346
>>84602779
>>84602818
>>84603438
Watch more film.
>>
>>84603438
Death is the road to awe is ultimate OST Kino
>>
recently slept with a girl who told me this was her favourite movie
looked it up on imdb and saw it had terrible ratings
assumed it was the kind of pseudy film chicks like, sort of like Mr. Nobody, but even worse
>>
Not trying to meme or be funny, but that movie was rather boring

Aronofsky keeps making "lol so deep" movies who are just borefests
>>
>>84603500
>Watch more film
I created that meme and am one of the anons you quoted. And you know which onw too, you keep pushing what I said as a meme because you got so buttflustered when I told you to watch more film.

And you do, you need to watch more film, The Fountain is pure kino
>>
File: 1370393800100.gif (502KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1370393800100.gif
502KB, 300x169px
>>84603576
patrician taste my nigga
>>
>>84603633
not the guy you quoted but anyone who unironically uses the word kino as an adjective is an absolute moron
>>
Whether you like the movie or not, you can't deny that some of the shots were absolutely breathtaking.
>>
>>84603530
if you dont want to jizz so much inside her the dna tests on your kids come out as 100% white european you're a faggot.
>>
>>84603651
>kino
I basically created the phrase pure kino which is the variation I used. If you can't accept or identify that kino exists you are no kinoman so don't bring up kinography.
>>
>>84603738
find yourself a proper hobby

"pretending" to be retarded ain't funny
>>
File: viewer.png (258KB, 1152x2866px) Image search: [Google]
viewer.png
258KB, 1152x2866px
>>
4chan is not a hobby, don't worry my work is done here
>>
>>84601951
I came away with the same sort of feelings as I did with Mr.Nobody. If you haven't seen that OP, might be worth a look. Maybe Donnie Darko?
>>
>>84603798
when the piece of art is too complex for me, I don't understand it
when it's too simple, it bores me

that's how it works, not the other way around

if you think fucking aronofsky is deep you should read a book or two
>>
i thought the bubble was a metaphor like the conquistador
the tree being the tree of knowledge, from which he slowly eats bits during his ascent to xibalba aka "enlightenment"
then again he speaks to the tree as if it's his wife
>>
>>84603892
The tree is what allowed him to live so long during the flight to Xibalba. It's where they got the compound earlier in the movie to cause the monkey to become younger.
At the end we see him plant a seed over his wife's grave.
>>
>>84603248
>being this much of a mental midget that he doesn't understand the most basic of symbolism
He did not become an immortal monk and travel around in a space bubble you tard.
>>
>>84603924
care to provide any reasoning that he didn't.
>>
>>84603843
>read a book
Stopped reading. KEK
>>
>>84603237
I'm replying to you, but addressing most of the interpretations. I had no idea people thought it was this ambiguous. I haven't seen the film since 2006, but I'm pretty sure the film is about man's inability to accept death. The conquistador is punished for trying to circumvent death, present Tom spent more time in the lab than time with his wife and thus missed the moment of her death. Future Tom fretted too much about trying to get to the star for answers instead of simply living. That's why he cries and exclaims to his wife "I'm gonna die" with a smile, he's finally accepted death.
>>
>>84603924
>Being this ingrained into being pseudo intellectual that you dismiss anything simply being what it is without any reasoning involved.
Holy shit, the third level of autism.
>>
>>84603962
>>84603997
you tards don't understand that the "future" is just his way of coming to terms with her death. It's absurd to think that he discovered immortality. Just looking at the imagery and symbolism of the future scenes and it's clear that it takes place in his own mind, and it makes sense too, him being a man of science. In this way it also gives the film a great balance. Izzi's story. Reality. Tom's story.
>>
>>84604153
Yeah, its so absurd to think that he discovered immortality, when they literally made a monkey immortal in the lab in the main timeline. The imagery and symbolism in the future timeline doesent mean shit, might aswell be him turning insane after thousands of years of traveling.
>>
>>84604153
>It's absurd to think that he discovered immortality.
Even though he:
>reversed ageing
>dedicates his life to further research on this after his wife dies
>claims to find a cure for dying because "death is a disease"

Yeah, it's absurd to think that a scientist that accidentally stubbles across practically the fountain of youth would discover immortality...
>>
the 'point' or the theme of the film is a man accepting death, it's all there in the final scenes, throughout the whole film we see a man cilng to life and what his life is made of, instead of realising that 'death is the road to awe'

so the film is a metaphor for, or rather an illustration of the human desire to live and the fear of not living, the romance is there for the plot and is nicely tied into the theme
>>
>>84601951
> deep

Ahahahahhahhahahahahaha
>>
>>84604153
except it is shown that he has unknowingly found the secret of immortality before her death, it was what he was working on. He explicitly states whilst standing over her grave that he will not stop until he finds a cure for death, he then goes back to his room, takes off his wedding ring and tattoos himself, the very same ring tattoo that future Tom has.
He finds the secret of immortality but it brings him no joy, in the end he accepts that he must die
>>
>>84604210
>>84604224
>>84604297

http://collider.com/the-fountain-explained/
>To assume that the scenes in space bubble are literally happening deprives The Fountain of its central conflict, which is about Tommy accepting death and using that to fuel the creation of finishing Isabel’s novel.

>When we see Tom Creo in the bubble interacting with Izzi, they’re not preludes to flashbacks. They’re thoughts interfering in Tom’s mind. For Tom, he can’t finish Isabel’s novel because to do so would be to accept her death. “Finish it,” are the worst words to him because if the novel is unfinished, then Isabel’s work, and by proxy Isabel, lives on. He literally can’t close the book on their relationship even though her dying wish was for him to finish the novel.

>The climax of the film is Tom learning to accept death, something he has refused to do throughout the story because it’s too painful. When he finally accepts it, we see Tom Creo interact with Tomas’ storyline in the novel “The Fountain”. That scene isn’t Tom teleporting back in time to reveal himself as “First Father” to the Chieftain. What we’re witnessing is an act of creation. Tommy (in the present day) is finishing the story, and the “future” Tom is his mind penning that creation. He changes Izzi’s ending, which had the Chieftain killing Tomas and instead the Chieftain sacrifices himself in the presence of a figure he believes to be “First Father”

Reddit is thinking future tom was real and that tom was became an awsum superhero just like those epic marvel movies xD
/tv/ is knowing it was all in his head
>>
>>84604463
>collider
getting your opinions from the internet equivalent of a dishrag and you have the gall to call others reddit, you fucking pleb.
>>
>>84604463
Without it coming from Aranofsky, you're merely posting a link to an interpretation that backs up your own theory. Which is absolutely meaningless, you utter retard. No matter how much you throw "reddit" around and ironically talk like a retard.
>>
Synecdoche, New York
>>
>>84604711
And Solaris, the Russian version not the one with George Clooney
>>
could there be multiple interpretations to a film
>>
This movie feels like what it is to be in love with someone and then when they dump you how you mourn them and wish you could change anything to bring that love back but you can't

I recommended it to my ex who I loved and she said it was "gay"

Shes barren and old now, so that's nice
>>
>>84604463
Thats honestly a big load of bullshit. It also makes the discovery present day Tom had with the samples of the tree having regenerative effects useless.
In an interview with the director, he literally says the space bubble is a spaceship, and that he thinks its weird how people dont see it as such, simply because it doesent look like a truck flying in space.
If you had thought thoroughly through the movie you wouldent believe this explanation has any merit and copy paste it to pretend you're a smart boy.
>>84604763
Of course, but there can still be wrong interpretations.
>>
The only movie that has ever made me shed full tears
>>
>people are so fucking dumb they don't understand the Conquistador and the Traveler were allagories for his emotional journey of mourning his wife

This board is just as aspie as r9k
>>
>>84601951
Ham-fisted and as deep as a puddle. Pleb filter? Absolutely.
>>
>>84604794
>Of course, but there can still be wrong interpretations.
unless the film clearly shows that an interpretation of it is unsound, then the interpretation is just like an opinion and therefore can't be wrong.
Though in the film the tree dies just before he arrives to xibalba which correlates much with it being a metaphor for what happens in the current day story (she dies just before he finds out the cure), and doesn't make sense for the "it's the real future" opinion
also why would he travel to xibalba in the first place? it's supposed to be a nebula
>>
you could say it's "lol2deep4u", but I loved it, I like to think I understand it, but it's been a while since I saw it, the tree was literally the tree of life from the bible right?
>>
>>84605694
>the tree was literally the tree of life from the bible right?
the conquistador one yes
the one in the bubble would be the tree of knowledge
>>
>>84603924
Can't you give a proper reply without being a teenage edgelord (which you are)?
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.