[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: side characters that carried the whole movie also, how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4

ITT: side characters that carried the whole movie

also, how did they get away with it? fuck, nowadays you'd have BLM starting a civil war if hollywood would parody black culture in a blockbuster like that...
>>
>>84454062
it was a different time
>>
>>84454062
How is this a parody of black people??
>>
>>84454062
>parody black culture
I interpreted it as a parody of Hollywood's depiction of blacks.
>>
>>84454062
The of the greatest roles in comedy history.
Infact, the whole film is so fucking underrated.
Even Tom Cruise was awesome.
There wasn't a single thing about that movie I didn't like, apart from Steve Coogan not being in it for longer, but that's a minor gripe.
>>
>>84454062
Funny enough, people didn't give a shit about Downey being a nog, but they were up in arms about the "full retard" scene to the point where my blu ray copy has a PSA about how retards are people on it.
>>
It was a parody you autist
>>
>>84454287
That and the insane things method actors put themselves through.
>>
>>84454062
>anon is too autistic to understand Parody.
>>
>>84454437
Careful, a lot of /tv/ regulars are uppity retards.
>>
>>84454062
Because people actually thought it was funny, it wasn't actually being racist or seriously making fun of blacks. It was all tongue and cheek, it really wasn't and still isn't a big deal. You really exaggerate about how people would be up in arms about this. People still find this character funny and love him, it wouldn't be any different if the movie came out today
>>
>>84454062
Same thing with Mac in Always Sunny. The loophole might be if you're playing a character playing a character in blackface.
>>
>>84454507
i don't think any actor that cares about his career would go full blackface in a hollywood comedy in the current year.
RDJ just did it because he was still on the B-list in hollywood and didn't give a shit. they shot tropic thunder before iron man became a hit.
tropic thunder came out right before that whole PC culture started in 2011.
>>
>>84454405
There is more of him in the Rain of Madness
>>
>>84454062
>nowadays
The movie is only 9 years old, it's not like it was made in the 60's phamalam. Also they put an actual black guy in the cast as well which provided opportunities to put the whole thing in perspective, simple as that.
>>
>>84455029
>implying we don't live in an entirely different world than we did a decade ago
>>
>>84455029
PC culture was nowhere near as extreme 9 years ago, not even remotely close.
>>
>>84454062
>side character
He was the costar of the fucking movie, guy.
>>
>>84454062
Nobody listens to those internet sjw retards
>>
>>84455387
I'm sure it had nothing to do with you being a dumb, empty-headed kid at that same point in time.
>>
>>84455029
Dude, you know all this SJW shit wasn't as big as it is now back then.
>>
>>84455417
that was pure coincidence.
>>
>>84454282
The booty sweat rapper dude was the parody of black people in this movie.

>i said nance!
>>
>>84454602
>PC culture started in 2011

Shouldn't you be doing your summer reading?
>>
>>84454062
>meme actor
>pre BLM
that simple
>>
>>84454507
>tongue and cheek
hello summer
>>
>one black actor
>one actor playing a guy playing a black actor
>one actor surnamed Black

What did they mean by this
>>
>>84454062
>parody of black culture

what blacks talk like an angry 80s action movies hero who grunts his way through a southern dialect. It was barely even ebonics, al pacino was more ebonic than him, and beyond that nothing else about him struck me as a parody of black culture. If anything he's a parody of the heroes of predator
>>
>>84455665
Movies like ogres and onions have layers.
>>
>>84454602
2007:

>"Sheeeeiit Demarcus, dat brutha from Tropic Thunda n sheeit gon be playing a rich whiteboi in sum capesheeit. "

>"Aw heal naw, dem fuckin jewbois ascared uh people seein' a strong proud African maine as a fucking supaheero, so they gotta makim look like a cracka n sheeit? MAN, FUCK DAT SHEEIT! WE WAS KANGS N SHEEIT!"
>>
>>84454062
Maybe if you mean Tom Cruise's character in this
>>
>>84455417

It had everything to do with Facebook not being huge yet and Twitter not existing. SJW faggots have always existed, it's just now they have a platform to all communicate with one another and let their voices be heard to the whole world.
>>
>>84454437
I got a good brain
>>
>>84455387
a point you're missing is everything retarded faggots like you post and ask "HOW DEY GET AWAY WIT???? DEY NO CULD DO CURRENT YEAR!!" was done specifically to spark controversy, and it did, and the controversy was forgotten.

Meaning the fact you seem unable to wrap your little head around is no one ever got away with anything. If you can't please everyone all the time, an amount of offended people exist in response to absolutely everything. The one and only difference is, now, thanks to social media, YOU can see it. You personally. As instead of retarded assholes flooding the FCC and corporate entities with written complaints, and maybe try to get some time on the local news about how gosh darned upset they be, they just post on twitter about how upset they are. Its still nothing but an easily triggered minority screaming for attention/validation, and most people don't give a fuck. But because you can see it, and you can't see people not giving a shit, as no matter what, most people won't give a shit, you confuse offended people for the majority.

Not to even mention, people (in the first world) don't get as upset now about anything as they would have without the easy validation offered by social media. They post some shit, they get some retards to give them attention, and they feel vindicated, and its over. The impotency of knowing no one gives a fuck is gone, as they know they don't need to work as hard to get some validation.

To put it another way, millions of people browse this shithole. If every time one of them scrolled past a thread or post they didn't care about, "who gives a fuck?" was automatically posted in response, every board would be flooded out with "who gives a fuck?" in minutes.
>>
>>84454062
>nowadays you'd have BLM starting a civil war
"Nowadays"? How old do you think this movie is, exactly? All the race issues that exist now existed then.

They got away with it because (a) it was comedy, (b) it had wink-wink social awareness, and (c) they didn't actually pick a side. The movie was about A-list actors with their heads up their own asses, not about race.
>>
>>84456070
>It had everything to do with Facebook not being huge yet and Twitter not existing

Twitter existed and Facebook was getting big at that time, we're talking about a movie released in mid 2008. Part of Obama's success was based on his social media campaign. They were not foreign concepts whatsoever, you were just a toddler.
>>
RDJ has a half black twin brother they used for the movie.
>>
>>84454062

The SJW movement was still in it's infancy in 2008.
>>
>corporate product does something specifically to spark controversy

>it sparks controversy

>years later it continues to spark controversy because of people asking "HOW GET AWAY WITH??"

it hurts to think people are this stupid
>>
>>84456499
Verbose. But accurate.
>>
>>84456689
social justice is just a rebrand of political correctness and political correctness goes back to the 70s.
>>
>>84454062

>parody of black culture

Thank god people like you will never reproduce.
>>
>>84454062
They didn't entirely get away with it, there were still some pissed off black groups. They copped more flak over Simple Jack, though from the groups speaking out for the retarded.
>>
Every fucking time. This movie can never be discussed without retards bringing up pc culture. It is not an old movie. it wasn't a big deal then and it wouldn't be a big deal now; except for the people who are looking to be offended by anything and the people looking to be offended by people being offended.
>>
>>84454062
him and tom "Les Grossman" cruise
>>
>>84456644
Ok, now explain how the fuck the character was allowed when it would never happen today.
>>
>>84456714

Wrong. They are not the same thing.

The Social Justice is political correctness without common sense.
>>
>>84457394
I think social justice means social justice. Calling them SJWs I always understood to be facetious.
>>
>>84457394
>common sense

the only thing i've ever known of common sense is that it's never universal. go pretend to be thoughtful somewhere else.
>>
>>84457394
They're literally the same thing, just rebranded so it can be sold to kids easier.
>>
>>84457394
common sense is never common and often nonsensical.
>>
>>84457781
talk about your worthless platitudes
>>
>>84454602
>that whole PC culture started in 2011
Educate yourself underage.
>>
File: baby-driver-f71746.jpg (51KB, 780x557px) Image search: [Google]
baby-driver-f71746.jpg
51KB, 780x557px
>>
obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ubqCMsTo4
>>
>>84454405
>underrated
He got awards and shit for that role

Most if the reviews praise tom cruise's performance
>>
>>84457635
>Calling them SJWs I always understood to be facetious.
Sorta. When people typically say SJW they usually mean the extreme, militant version of the ideal. The most extreme version of anything is usually pretty wacky.

Of course, there's a faction on 4chan that thinks SJW means anything left of allowing women to show their ankles, so take it with a grain of salt.

>>84457704
>the only thing i've ever known of common sense is that it's never universal.
More than that, it's not very common.
>>
>>84454062
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBhLVq9nbxo

pure fucking kino, I don't think a movie has ever been rewatchable for me as much as this one.

>noticing on repeat viewings how he randomly starts smiling and struggling to keep a consistent character
>>
>>84454280
this was only nine (80) fucking years ago
>>
>>84454405

you make it sound as if based cruise isn't consistently awesome

>those giant fucking hands and mannerisms

10/10

DIET COKE
>>
>>84458579
still, it feels that nowadays you cant make movies with this kind of humor, you always need to play it safe or everyone feels fucking attacked
>>
>>84458579
>this was only nine (80) fucking years ago
Try to keep in mind that most of the people you're arguing with were 4 when this came out. It's easy to forget, but 9 years seems functionally equivalent to eternity-and-a-day when you're a little kiddo.
>>
>>84457907
its a statement on how people use the term "common sense" to describe the way they think of shit
>>
>>84458551
>extreme, militant
>social justice

so the average social justice guy posts once or twice a week on twitter about social stuff and the extreme, militant ones post 4-5 times a week?
>>
File: 1420698653009.gif (1MB, 392x400px) Image search: [Google]
1420698653009.gif
1MB, 392x400px
>>84454062

It gets even better when you remember that was an Oscar-nominated role
>>
>>84458650
"controversy" comedies died because the internet can be infinitely more controversial and comedic than any corporate product. "the rise of social justice" had zero actual effect. It just happened at about the same time.
>>
>>84454062
>Farms lead once
>>
>>84454507

>You really exaggerate about how people would be up in arms about this

Not really. Regardless of the context or intent, there'd be a bunch of people trying to find some way to deem it problematic.
>>
>>84459170
this has been true of literally every movie ever made

the only difference is now you have the means of seeing it on your phone
>>
>>84459342

Thus propagating inane outrage

It's happened that I've seen some silly twisted complaints about media and whatnot online first, only to hear it parroted in an even more twisted fashion IRL by more SJW-inclined friends.
>>
File: 1498770455265.jpg (15KB, 275x377px) Image search: [Google]
1498770455265.jpg
15KB, 275x377px
>>84456590
>implying race relations didn't get a fuck ton worse under the Obama administration
>>
>>84454062
You are allowed to do shit like this as long as people find it funny. That's it. If this bit bombed he would've been crucified over it but everyone though it was funny so they didn't care.
>>
>>84459701
Yea what's up with that, when I was younger, and Obama began his campaign for presidency, I was sure his tenure as president would make black people calm the fuck down about race and their supposed inequality about 50 years after the civil rights movement. But, it had the opposite effect!
>>
>>84459758
I have black friends that legitimately didn't even know he was white when they saw the trailers, then the movie came out and they loved it.
>>
>>84459852
Progressives in general lost their minds because it's hard to criticise a black democrat without someone calling "racism". Blacks went crazy because they thought Obama was THE magical negro who'd make all their problems go away, then a spic shot some kid and the media portrayed the shooter as "white".
>>
>>84459852

A funny thing is that most social movement groups just enjoy having power, so if someone is in charge who is favorable to them and will acquiesce to them they will bitch even more than if there's a leader who ignores them.

Same reason liberals spend all day turning on each other more than they do normal people and never actually take on their real political enemies in debate. They know their enemies won't acquiesce, normies will a bit but then get bored and ignore them and other liberals will shit their pants if called racist and socially cow to them.
>>
>>84454537
I feel like it's that but also before doing blackface they like talk about how offensive it is but they do it anyways maybe it calms the nignerves before they see it.
>>
>>84460086
Shows and movies can get away with a lot of really racist jokes as long as the person doing it is shown as the "bad guy"
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.