[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if you were to give this movie to, say, twenty... intelligent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5

File: hmmmmmmmmmm.jpg (237KB, 630x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmmmmmmm.jpg
237KB, 630x1200px
What if you were to give this movie to, say, twenty... intelligent people i mean, what would that do? Let's face it what would it do?
>>
They'd praise it

Interstellar is a brilliant intergalactic adventure film that explores humanity's place in the cosmos with respect to its vast temporal and spatial nature. On the brink of extinction, the human race is saved by applied intellect in the form of scientific ingenuity motivated by paternal bond. Furthermore, the future humans form and fulfill their own destiny by directing Cooper's odyssey from a perspective external to linear time, thus the allegorical impressions of Interstellar arise out of application of Christopher Nolan's thesis on Will to Power.

Parallel to this exploration of humanity's essence, insight toward existence outside the human paradigm is explored by the transcendent outlook of the fate of Brand's colony which is overtaken by the linear circularity of the secondary timeline of Cooper's altered path.
>>
>>84453908
Dude come on, the entire final 20 minutes of the movie was an ass-pull- They clearly had no idea how to finish it. Also that mission where they land into that huge planet? The black guy waited fro them for 20 smeothing years? Really? Also do you have any idea how big the planet had to be in order for time to pass so fast outside of it? At least a thousand times bigger than the sun. It had its plotholes and mathew wasn't the best suited actor for this movie.
And yet, it was a great movie, why? Because a ton of money went into making it.
>>
>>84454178
>thinks that the tidal world was big and that's why it faced relativistic time dilation

Are you retarded?
>>
>>84454225
Nani??????????

then why? My johns being that it's been quite a bit since i last saw the movie.
>>
>>84454244
There was an entire 5 minute scene explaining that it was because it was stupidly close to the event horizon of the black hole. All those planets were around a black hole. The black guy even said he took stretches of sleeping for years at a time while they were gone. Lots of shit you can point out like how stupid Damon's character and planet were and instead you go after the shit they actually explained.
>>
>>84454323
Damn... Like i said i don't remember any black holes stuff. Still, how did they not see that coming? And by ''that'' i mean the signal they received? Shouldn't they know?
>>
>>84454378
They should've been able to see giant tidal waves taller than the clouds rolling over the planet from space, yes.
>>
>>84452992
>sees cues
>follows cues
>leaves cues for himself
Assuming a first timeline where he is capable of seeing the cues, in the timeline before the changes made to form this timeline, ie leave the cues for himself, he would not have been able to see the cues and follow them, and would not have been able to leave cues for himself.
>>
>>84454378
>Like i said i don't remember any black holes stuff.
If you don't remember basic plot points of the movie, why are you in here talking about it?

I swear I come out of /tv/ thinking this movie is better each time, the people who hate it most are genuinely very stupid
>>
>>84454378
The signal only said thumbs up or down for is the planet hospitable or not. They saw a thumbs up and went there without knowing that the previous astronaut died by the waves as soon as he made the green light because of the water. You obviously can't transfer a lot of information through a fucking wormhole from and another galaxy away.

They also couldn't sit there close to the planet analyzing it in detail because of the obvious time dilation problem, so they just trusted the signal and the previous astronaut.
>>
>>84454428
Are you implying it was a paradox?
>>
>>84454464
Yes.
>>
>>84454428
>first timeline
baby's first grandfather paradox
>>
>>84454496
>states the existence of a paradox
>baby's first paradox
Y-yeah w-well that's just like your opinion man.
>>
So.. yeah, why did they build the wormhole so far away?
>>
It's not

Brand starts colony
Colony goes onto to create beings that transcend time
Time transcendent beings edit universe
Edited universe is where Cooper/Murph save humanity

The transcendent beings can be hand-waved because they're inconceivable from within the human paradigm. Why they bothered to save humanity is the real question to be had.
>>
>>84454678
>>84454484

>>84454664

So the right people would find it and go through it
>>
>>84454678
>The transcendent beings can be hand-waved because they're inconceivable from within the human paradigm. Why they bothered to save humanity is the real question to be had.

Because they would not exist if they didn't, they are merely going through the minimum possible steps (creating a wormhole, tesseract and crashing coop's shuttle) to balance the equation of them existing
>>
>>84454462
>>84454436
A planet that consists mostly of water and is orbiting a black hole. Hmmm maybe the gravitational force of the black hole would create huge tidal waves? Just guessing
>>
>>84454428
It was kinda the whole point of the movie that it didn't follow the usual "timelines" model of time travel. Instead there was just a single closed loop.
>>
>>84454700
So you be saying, if the wormhole was like, half a parsec away from earth instead, or fuck that, if it were just outside our solar system, space pirates would've found it and steal it or something? lol
>>
>>84454727
If earth's waves were that big our landmasses would be polished down very quickly
>>
>>84454710

>Because they would not exist if they didn't,

No, they exist because of Brand's colony that was established without transcendent interference
>>
>>84454462
Why not go to europa or mars? These two planets look more promising than the ones they found, and they are right next door.
>>
>>84454770
We're not orbiting a fucking black hole
>>
>>84454743

No, but Coop and co. wouldn't have found it and thus would not have found the humanity saving equation.

I'm saying that if they put it in Earth's orbit opposite the moon then the Japanese would have found it and sent through anime bearing spacecraft thus sealing the fate of humanity's demise.
>>
>>84454814

Because they weren't being sent a message from the future saying "Go to the red planet, nigga." It's clear that some higher being put the wormhole there for a reason.
>>
>>84452992
>Well thought out story, albeit possibly pretentious and 2deep4u
>Great CGI
>Great acting
>90% of what's happening can apparently be backed up by science
Of course it will be liked. /tv/ is the only place where capeshit gets more praise than a movie that was genuinely well thought out. It's one of those movies that I would almost call objectively good purely by the amount of effort that they put into it
>>
>>84454875
Well these higher beings, let's call the Chozo, probably didn't study the earths solar system first. I would be really pissed to land on that ice planet that dr. mann lied about was a Thumbs up, only to find out that it's basically europa but with 100 times more ice and overall danger.
>>
>>84454838
Well, can't argue with that. Imagine if the russians found it. They would never tell anybody.
>>
>>84454934

>probably didn't study the earths solar system first

What are you talking about? They plant a wormhole behind Murph's bookshelf.
>>
It's aight. Those robot practical/special effects were awesome. Matt Damon's character was a welcome surprise. I liked the world building of the water planet. I don't really understand the ending, or some stuff before the ending for that matter.

As a coherent story, 6/10

Everything else, 8/10

A welcome departure from the norm
>>
>>84455131
Then the chozo fucked up even more. Look, it made for a great movie but it just doesnt make sense to not send them to mars or europa.
>>
>>84454178
>the entire last 20 minutes was an asspull
It can't be an asspull when it's foreshadowed by several events and lines of dialogue from earlier in the movie
"Every parent is the ghost of their child's memory Murph, we exist to be a part of your story"

> Also do you have any idea how big the planet had to be in order for time to pass so fast outside of it?

it was an Earth sized planet that was on the outer edge (where time dilation starts) of a black hole
>>
>>84454412
>>84454412
>They should've been able to see giant tidal waves taller than the clouds rolling over the planet from space, yes.

Saturn rings have a wave of 12 kms pulled by satellites, we didnt confirmed until a decade ago, even if we sent diferent probes to collect data.
>>
>>84455232
>it was an Earth sized planet that was on the outer edge (where time dilation starts) of a black hole
Yer momas asshole lmao
>>
>>84455188

>Then the chozo fucked up even more

How?

> it just doesnt make sense to not send them to mars or europa.

You're right. The blight on earth was stupid as well because Monsanto could've fixed it. Children of Men is a shit movie too because they could've use in vitro fertilization. 2001 is stupid because AI didn't exist in the year 2001.
>>
>>84452992
It would do nothing. In fact, it'd be detrimental to those 20 people you showed it to.
>>
>>84455188
The plan of the chozo was save planet earth and the people living there, not carry people to another universe or colonize a near planet/moon.

Also, europa is far from be a colony
>>
>>84454678
It's more likely that the original humans that left on colony ships from Coopers gravity theory were the ones that transcended to another dimension. They were the ones with the whole equation figured out after all.
>>
File: chozo.jpg (936KB, 941x1441px) Image search: [Google]
chozo.jpg
936KB, 941x1441px
>me reading this thread
>>
>>84454743
>half a parsec away

No, it's 8 AU away from Earth.
>>
>>84455188
>but it just doesnt make sense to not send them to mars or europa.

>neither Mars or Europa have breathable atmosphere or liquid water
>LETS GO THERE WHERE THEY'LL NEED HUNDREDS OF YEARS OF TERRAFORMING BEFORE WE CAN SET FOOT INSTEAD OF THESE PLANETS THAT WE KNOW HAVE AT LEAST AN ATMOSPHERE THAT WON'T KILL EVERYONE

brilliant
>>
File: IMG_2260.jpg (152KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2260.jpg
152KB, 768x1024px
>>84454428
A major element of the film's plot revolves around the trancedential dimension in which the protagonist interacts through at the end. The main thing with the 5th dimension as it's established in Interstellar is that it expands time into something which you can interact non-linearly, i.e. concepts like cause and effects become meaningless. The movie only appears to be paradoxal because it's not logically consistent with the temporal linearity of the 4 dimensions we're in, but the protagonist (along with "future" humans) operate on a plane in which those limitations no longer apply. This plot point is alluded to several times in the movie, yet it seems to have flown over SO MANY people's heads.
>>
>>84455582
Delete
>>
>>84454178
>Dude come on, the entire final 20 minutes of the movie was an ass-pull-
The last 10, but yeah. I liked the Matthew-In-The-5th-Dimension bit where he communicates with his past daughter. But the whole thing where he gets magically resurrected and goes to meet the love interest at the end? That's crap. The guy sac'd himseld to save the world. Let him get squished up in the black hole at the end.

>The black guy waited fro them for 20 smeothing years? Really?
His alternative being what, exactly? Fly home?

>Also do you have any idea how big the planet had to be in order for time to pass so fast outside of it?
Real damn big, if the planet had anything to do with it. But the time dilation was due to the proximity of the black hole, not the planet's own gravity. You gotta appreciate, this is supposed to be a supermassive blackhole, and they are relatively close to the event horizon. There are some shots where it looks like it occupies 10 degrees of arc or more as seen from the ship.
>>
>>84455755
Thank you for the detailed answer.
>>
>>84455502

The equation was to build massive ships that can overcome earth's gravity. What does that have to do with transcending time?
>>
>>84454412
Not necessarily. There might have literally been only two of the waves (one on the BH side and one on the other), traveling around the surface once per BH "day". From space, especially if you happened to be looking from the wrong angle at the wrong moment, they might not be noticeable.

>>84454610
>Y-yeah w-well that's just like your opinion man.
I think the Anon was pointing out that there aren't two timelines. It only looks like there's an inconsistency because of our limited understanding. He didn't actually change anything - he always had / will have had communicated the data.

>>84454664
>So.. yeah, why did they build the wormhole so far away?
Not explained, but I just assumed it's probably because those things are dangerous.
>>
>>84454818
>We're not orbiting a fucking black hole
Well, not US, as in, the planet earth, no.

The "us" here on 4chan, that's another story.
>>
>>84454934
Why would they need to study the earth's solar system? They're from there!
>>
>>84455879
>The equation was to build massive ships that can overcome earth's gravity. What does that have to do with transcending time?
I know this is gonna blow your mind, Anon, cause Einstein only published the other day, in 1906, but it's the same thing.
>>
>>84454178
There he is. The man too stupid to understand interstellar.
>>
>>84452992
It's a pseudo intelligent crap movie for edgy kids

It relies too heavy on the plot twist mechanic and has nothing to offer except some nice visuals.

Over all 4/10
>>
>>84456410
>It's a pseudo intelligent crap movie for edgy kids
You must be really smart.
>>
File: 1480617699869.png (3MB, 1274x993px) Image search: [Google]
1480617699869.png
3MB, 1274x993px
Question 1: why did they get sucked into the black hole from Mann's planet when it took them months to get to and yet where able to take right off from the water world?

2: Why did they need a booster to get them off of Earth and then used their ship to fly like an airplane right off of the other planets?

Either way, I enjoyed it. I just thought of those after I watched it for the second time.
>>
>>84454178
>dumping tons of money into a movie makes it good

Here's your (You). 3/10 bait.
>>
>>84457425
>why did they get sucked into the black hole from Mann's planet when it took them months to get to and yet where able to take right off from the water world?
This one can probably be explained by "orbital mechanics are complicated", but...

>Why did they need a booster to get them off of Earth and then used their ship to fly like an airplane right off of the other planets?
I'm not actually sure about that. The other planets seemed like they had vaguely earth-ish gravity. Enough to hold onto an atmosphere, anyhow.
>>
>>84457618
But they're really not. Mann's world had a further orbit. The water world was right on the edge hence the time slippage.

And yeah, which is why it doesn't make sense they could fly out. I vaguely remember them saying the gravity was more on the water planet. I could be wrong.

And then of course the name of the movie not really being a sensible one. It does sound better than intergalactic, though.
>>
>>84455755
>cooper should have died in the end

Wasn't that supposed to be the original ending but They changed it?
>>
>>84457425
>Why did they need a booster to get them off of Earth and then used their ship to fly like an airplane right off of the other planets?

They didn't "need" the huge rocket, but they used it for fuel efficiency/conserving the "new" fuel for the tiny ship. Using the Saturn V rocket first, they can carry way more cargo and supplies to the station and just detach the rocket when it's not needed and save all the precious fuel for the tiny rangers.
>>
>>84452992
OP's template has exploitable potential
>>
>>84457875
Precious fuel? It didn't seem too precious.
>>
>>84457682
They escape the water planet by using the gravitational pull from the black hole.
If I remember correctly, they take off right at the peak of the next wave.
>>
>>84457920
The whole first act was Nolan saying how no one is giving any money to NASA and how scarce their resources are.
Ofcourse they will use the old rocket and fuel for the first launch so they can save the rangers for later. Not to mention how tiny the rangers are and that they would not be capable of delivering all the needed cargo and supplies to the space station.
>>
>>84457682
>Orbital mechanics
>Complicated
>But they're really not.
No, they really, really are. The Martian did a better job of showing what goes into this, and even there it was heavily simplified for the laypeople in the audience. We're not given nearly enough info onscreen in interstellar to confirm whether what they do would actually work.

Also, just a reminder not to conflate the planet's gravity with the black hole's gravity. At that distance, you're not going to really "feel" the BH gravity (except as tidal forces, obviously), even though the time dilation is noticeable.

>And then of course the name of the movie not really being a sensible one. It does sound better than intergalactic, though.
Been a little bit. Do they ever actually confirm whether they are still in our galaxy?

>>84457809
>Wasn't that supposed to be the original ending but They changed it?
I dunno. Should have kept it in, would have made a better flick. One of the main messages was how insignificant a single human life is in the larger scope, and they undercut it a bit with the ending.
>>
>>84452992
I can't say I'm intelligent but I believe intelligent people like to feel challanged, and personally this movie didn't make me feel challanged, only "reassured", but in an empty and innefective way, though it didn't have to be like this.
I was really intrigued by the subplot of leaving the embryos on a planet to save the species, because it posed an interesting situation where you can actually save humanity even if you and your family and everyone on earth is left behind.
But iirc the characters end up in a situation where they CAN actually do this... but don't, because they'll rather go back and see their families again. They doom humanity to extinction for the sake of their own feelings even though they are supposed to be the best of the best of humanity. But it's ok I guess, because the movie is designed to make everything conveniently turn out all right.
The message I ended up getting from the third act is that us punny simpletons should ultimately not worry about the planet or humanity or anything, because SOMEBODY ELSE is going to magically solve everything, find a formula for the impossible, and comfortably place us all in a perfect spaceship utopia and later in another planet for free (said somebody else in the movie being that little girl that almost every single character has to remind us is super smart).
I think this is a dangerous mentality to promote, patting yourself in the back for things beyond your control and just assume you are in good hands. Optimism is one thing but what this movie does strikes me as delusional.

But at least it portrays physics and space laws in an interesting way that may inspire people to read more on the subject. That's cool I must admit.
>>
>>84458067
>We're not given nearly enough info onscreen in interstellar to confirm whether what they do would actually work.

There a number of reality-breaking problems with literally every scene in interstellar.

Every second they're in a ranger is a massive fuckup.
>>
I can't be assed to read this thread, does anyone bring up how that level of time dilation is impossible with the circumstances of the planet? Saying the words "black hole" doesn't mean magic is possible. Hours turned to decades because they descended the space equivalent of like, 20 feet from the orbiting station to the surface of the planet is stupid and not scientific or smart. Super cool as a plot point, but that shit ain't real nigga.
>>
The ending shot with Brand on the new planet looked so comfy

Nice warm weather and a bunch of tents with cosy lights
>>
>>84458927
>I can't be assed
I wouldn't worry about it, you'll manage

>>84458927
>the words "black hole" doesn't mean magic is possible
This is, no exaggeration, the most realistic portrayal of a black hole ever in a feature film. Yes, hours turning into decades is possible in a gravity well of that size. The water planet is portrayed as being very close to the event horizon of the black hole.

Now, of course it's played for drama in the movie, but the science holds up. This isn't even a really extreme example of time dilation for hard sci-fi.
>>
>>84452992
I used to hate this movie

after watching Gravity & Arrival....that movie is ten times better. Somehow.
>>
>>84460554
>>
>>84462219
For starters, let me get out of the way that you're a dumb nigger go hang yourself.

But more specifically:
> And that's not the only issue. The astronauts land on a world that orbits very close to Gargantua — so close that, as the film depicts it, for every hour spent on the exoplanet's surface, seven years elapse on Earth. Such "time dilation" does indeed occur in the presence of gravitational fields, but there's no way it could be so extreme, according to Trotta.
>"You would need such a strong gravitational field that you need to be close to what is called the Schwarzschild radius of the object — essentially the event horizon of a black hole," he wrote in The Guardian. (The event horizon is the point beyond which nothing, not even light, can escape a black hole's clutches.) "There is simply no planet that can have this kind of gravity, and if you tried to land on the surface, it would be so strong it would crush you. The numbers simply do not work."
>In fact, a planet so close to a black hole could not even exist, Trotta observed: Tidal forces generated by the black hole's immense gravity would tear the planet apart.

(1/2)
>>
>people unironically discussing things what are physically IMPOSSIBLE BY E-V-E-R-Y DEFINITION (space fantasy)

You shouldn't be talking "the science of Interstellar" at all, guys. If Nolan says Matthew could leave breadcrumbs for himself, so be it.
>>
>>84462219
>>84464766
Or how about:
>As explained by Thorne in his popular book, such a large time dilation was a « non-negotiable » request of the film director, for the needs of the story. Intuitively, even an expert in general relativity would estimate impossible to reconcile an enormous time differential with a planet skimming up the event horizon and safely enduring the correspondingly enormous gravitational forces.
>Substituting for dτ = 1 hour and dt = 7 years, one obtains the following relation:
>This equation fully describes a black hole of mass M, rotating with angular momentum J, as observed by an observer at radial coordinate r and angular coordinate θ. The fraction on the right-hand-side fully depicts the 1 hour = 7 years dilation effect. For the Schwarzschild metric, the orbital radius should be no smaller than 3 times the gravitational radius, and such a time dilation could not be achieved for the planet of the film.
OR
>The astronauts would likely be killed by the energetic radiation thrown off by the superhot disk of material circling Gargantua, Roberto Trotta, an astrophysicist at Imperial College London, noted in an article for the British newspaper The Guardian. Or they'd be "spaghettified" by the intense gravitional pull, which would be much stronger at one end of their bodies than the other, Trotta added.

Also, why does black spaceman age the same number of years that the peeps back on earth due (as evidenced by the montage main spaceman watches when they get back) relative to spaceman and catwoman, when even away from the water planet black spaceman is still, in the station, way closer to the black hole and its intense time dilating effects compared to earth on the other side of the wormhole and far away in space?

Fuck you.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.