[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did people decide this was a good movie? When I first got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

When did people decide this was a good movie? When I first got into Twin Peaks around 2010 everyone said it was complete dogshit but now everyone loves it.
>>
>>84410848
End yourself.
>>
I have yet to see an actual thought provoking or interesting argument in saying this movie is shit. I can think of probably over 100 reasons why it's great. Waaaaah it wasn't the tv show!
>>
It was vindicated way before that.

It got bad reviews at release because people expected it to continue the series from the show's ending, but expanding Laura's story was a way better choice than "90 minutes of Cooper fighting some villain we never heard of".
>>
>>84410951
>Waaaaah it wasn't the tv show!
That, but the fact that it had almost 2 hours of lost footage means that the editing and storytelling can get choppy. The Jeffries/convenience store scene in the movie is just... bad. When you actually see the individual scenes they are good, but mashing them together awkwardly was the wrong choice.
>>
File: 1493618367128.jpg (31KB, 456x320px) Image search: [Google]
1493618367128.jpg
31KB, 456x320px
>yfw all white women in 2017 are basically Laura Palmer
pottery
>>
>>84410848
Many people thought it would continue where the tv show ended as well as it was missing too much from what they originally filmed.
>>
>>84410848
Because it's a good movie on its own. I have issues over whether it was really necessary to the mythos to make (It wasn't), but that doesn't mean it's a bad film.
>>
>>84411257
To be fair, I think it's way more "necessary" (assuming they had to make a movie) than making a movie continuing the ending. It would have cheapened the finale completely, and there's no way to build new plot in two hours off that.

They should have just cut the Jeffries scenes (I know it's important to the new season but it's pretty pointless with how cut up it is in the movie anyhow)
>>
>>84410848
>2010
kys
>>
>>84410848
Never watched a single episode of this... and glad
>>
>>84411348
Why?
>>
>>84411348

so glad that you felt the need to open this thread and respond?
>>
>>84411016
I love the chaotic mess that is the theatrical version of the Jeffries scene. The only thing I wish it had was the manor of Jeffries' disappearance seen in The Missing Pieces, where he vanishes amidst the flickering lights, instead of what we got with a quick cut to an empty chair.
>>
What makes this movie good is that Twin Peaks could literally not exist and this can be a completely separate movie, and it'd still catch my interest. The only reason people "don't like it" is because it's not funny like the show.
>>
It was obvious that they planned on doing a series of movies since what we got is one part Laura backstory and one part setting up further plot developments that never materialized.

But overall it left a bad taste in everyone's mouth since the show ended on such a gripping cliffhanger and the movie just sidestepped it completely.
>>
>>84411807
I mean I love the movie, but how is it a separate movie? You really can't understand much of what's happening at all without the series, and not in a 2deep4u way, but an actual you have no info to go of off way
>>
Everything before it actually gets to Twin Peaks is GOAT.
>>
It answers questions no one asked and asked questions no one wanted to answer. Other than that it was dark and painful and didn't provide any catharsis from the cliffhanger ending of the original series.
>>
>>84410848
People hated it because it didn't answer the cliffhanger (right choice IMO) and it's a total inverse of Twin Peaks. In the series everyone loves Coop so it's happy, goofy, friendly Twin Peaks. But ultimately the show is about a girl who was raped and murdered by her father, so when we see things from Laura's side it shows the really fucked up side of Twin Peaks rather than the happy sitcom side.
>>
>>84410848
How Film 'Culture' Works:

1. A good movie is released.
2. Patricians recognize it is a great film on day one. Normies hate it. There's so many normies that their voices drown out the minority patricians view.
3. Many months or years pass and when it becomes apparent to normies that it wasn't quite as bad as they thought and that the arguments of the patricians make sense, they start parroting the patricians' views and pretend they liked it from the start. See: Fire Walk With Me

Alternatively:

1. A bad movie is released.
2. Patricians recognize it is an awful film on day one. Normies love it. There's so many normies that their voices drown out the minority patricians view.
3. Many months or years pass and when it becomes apparent to normies that it wasn't quite as good as they thought and that the arguments of the patricians make sense, they start parroting the patricians' views and pretend they disliked it from the start. See: The Force Awakens
>>
File: based bobby.webm (2MB, 636x397px) Image search: [Google]
based bobby.webm
2MB, 636x397px
>>84410848

the movie itself is a doppelganger of the show. Everything about the movie is opposite. From the tone to way it is filmed. (close shots rather than far away shots) and obviously the characters and places are opposite. Lynch is a genius. The people who didn't like it when it came out are plebs and the people who dislike it now after all the internet modern analyzes and recent missing pieces added are mega plebs.
>>
Its because its part of the puzzle. For some wicked reason Frost and Lynch said. Fuck everyone we are still going with our plan. And they kept going. This is the weirdest thing in hollywood when someone fucks up they try to pander the audience. Twin peaks the return, and all of it is part of the puzzle and Frost and Lynch dont give a fuck if you dont understand.
>>
>>84412168
>Frost and Lynch dont give a fuck
That's why it's so bad.
>>
>>84410848
People didn't like it at first because it barely continued the story of the TV show. After the missing pieces came out (which makes the movie much better IMO) and it and the show became more available through the internet and streaming people saw how good it actually was. Imagine if Lost was canceled at season 3 and then a movie came out and it took place before season 1 and you can see why people hated it.
>>
>>84411257
season 3 is building up a lot of stuff that only happened in fwwm, I'm guessing they had plans on doing that even back then, it only seemed pointless because the sequels were never produced
>>
>>84410848
You're full of shit mate. There have been threads on /tv/ praising it as long as this board has existed. I remember threads about it when Lost threads were still new. Nice conspiracy though. Did it make you feel superior for a minute?
>>
>>84412443
This

Even though it's 25 years later, I feel like the DoppleCooper plot would have been used in one of the planned FWWM sequels

FWWM spends 25% of the movie setting up non-existant plot points (Desmond/Jeffries)
>>
>>84411807
Not really? A massive part of the movie is spent on the prologue, which sets up a bunch of shit that's irrelevant to the movie (Desmond disappearing, lodge lore, FBI shenanigans), and the rest of the movie just assumes you know all the characters and leaves out a bunch of crucial information. Fuck, Laura's dreams dont make sense unless you watched the whole show, who the fuck are Coop and Annie? What is that place in the woods where Leland goes at the end? None of that is explained to the film viewer.

FWWM was always going to be mostly hated, because you need to both be a Twin Peaks viewer (in order to understand it) and open minded enough to appreciate that it's not going to be comfy like the show was. I mean, fuck, this movie released in theaters, can you imagine that shit?
>>
Sheryl Lee's performance in this movie is amazing if only it's because it's the only movie I've felt genuinely sad for a girl being a drugged out whore
>>
Are we gonna talk about Judy?
>>
File: IMG_3087.jpg (109KB, 567x542px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3087.jpg
109KB, 567x542px
>>84412749
>>
>>84412696

this. She is great
>>
>>84412097
>muh secret club
>>
>>84411016
apart from the line about pure air the original convenience store scene is better

jeffries could have had a bit more either side of the mentalness but i felt the way it was mashed together worked better than two individual scenes
>>
>Filmmaker Quentin Tarantino, who was also in attendance, said in a 1992 interview, "After I saw Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me at Cannes, David Lynch had disappeared so far up his own ass that I have no desire to see another David Lynch movie until I hear something different. And you know, I loved him. I loved him."
I think its safe to say Lynch never recovered.
>>
>>84412137
wtf is going on in this scene

some of those background characters look like they are being dragged along by some invisible force
>>
>>84410848
Are people actually claiming to like Fire Walk With Me? Are you sure it isn't just shills for the reboot?
>>
Only the pilot episode of season 1 reaches the same heights as FWWM.

First time I watched the movie was immediately after finishing Twin Peaks, in 2010 or so. I stopped around the time Laura is given the painting, as I found the film too abrasive. I returned to it in 2016 and it was a cathartic experience, probably because I shed any pretense of what the movie would be like. The film focuses on the malice and evil that lurked in Twin Peaks, and some people were probably offended as they might have seen it as a deconstruction of the "comfy" atmosphere of the television show which they loved, even though the television show was rife with very dark moments.
>>
>>84412137
>In any case my opinion is correct
Come on now, pleb. I liked the movie but your argument is faulty at best.
>>
It removed most of the silly characters and soap opera melodramatic veneer from the series and ruined the otherwise fun topic of the ritualistic rape and murder of a high school girl
>>
>>84411133
Dubs-trips-dubs checked
>>
When RLM did their review.

Before that, /tv/ was pretty much in agreement on it being trash.
>>
I can understand hating it if you were anticipating it. When I finished Twin Peaks I learned about this and thought it was neat. The actress who plays Laura is great in it
>>
>>84410848
Better than the show by far (and Season 3 - while S3 has some good moments, FWWM is by far a more cohesive experience).
>>
>>84412012
I like how it also shows lodge denizens in a more morally grey light. The dwarf faggot is still out to stop Bob, but he also relies on him for garmonbozia. Even Cooper isn't exempt from this - the scene where he says "don't take the ring Laura" shows that he's selfish. If Laura took the ring, she would've never died, and Cooper wouldn't be trapped in the lodge.
>>
>>84413988
>reboot
>>
I dunno, I really liked it. But I saw it after I heard Season 3 was being made, as a sense to catch up, so I wasn't disappointed at it being a prequel.

But I loved it all. Even the Desmond stuff. I think it framed the whole series well. I had trouble saying what the series was about, but since the movie is more focused, it puts the whole show into perspective.
>>
>everybody
You mean the roastie and numale netflix babys?
>>
>>84410848
When the normies got into Twin Peaks just months before the new season came out.
>>
>>84414789
>Even Cooper isn't exempt from this - the scene where he says "don't take the ring Laura" shows that he's selfish.
>this meme again
He told her not to take it because he's been in the Lodge an indefinite amount of time already, long enough to know more about the ring than the audience does which likely entails that it's evil and wearing it will doom Laura to an even worse fate.

His reasoning is probably that it would be better for her to be possessed by BOB at least temporarily than to wear the ring and end up having her soul tied to the Lodge forever.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.