[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 31

File: GeorgeRRMartin1.jpg (212KB, 1463x1463px) Image search: [Google]
GeorgeRRMartin1.jpg
212KB, 1463x1463px
>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

Now that the dust has settled is /tv/ willing to admit that he was right?
>>
did he actually say that, word for word, or is it some meme that's been built up from like one comment?
>>
>>84391437
He did indeed say that word for word
>>
>>84391382
>We look at real history
THAT'S WHY IT'S CALLED 'FANTASY', YOU STUPID FAT FUCK.
>>
File: tumblr_n4shexQiwm1tav7g4o1_1280.png (23KB, 951x357px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4shexQiwm1tav7g4o1_1280.png
23KB, 951x357px
How come Tolkien never wrote about hobbit bowel movement?
>>
>>84391437
its in this interview, use ctrl-f to find it.
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/george-r-r-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140423
>>
> Now the guy's got the Iron Bank as a partner.
> Any problems, he goes to Iron Bank.
> Trouble with the Lannisters?
> He can go to the Iron Bank.
> Trouble with the Kingsguard, Old Gods, the Mountain, he can call the Iron Bank.
> But now the guy's gotta come up with the Iron Bank's interest every week, no matter what. > > Campaign bad?
> Fuck you, pay me.
> Oh, you had a fire?
>Fuck you, pay me.
> Place got hit by 20 good men, huh?
> Fuck you, pay me.
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 275x183px
>But what about Faramir's dick? What if it was too small to satisfy Eowyn and she began an illicit sexual afair with Eomer? These are the questions Tolkien doesn't address and that I wanted to answer because real life isn't a fairytale.
>>
>>84391382
>while many like you demand maps, others wish for geological indications rather than places; many want Elvish grammars, phonologies, and specimens; some want metrics and prosodies.... Musicians want tunes, and musical notation; archaeologists want ceramics and metallurgy; botanists want a more accurate description of the mallorn, of elanor, niphredil, alfirin, mallos, and symbelmynë; historians want more details about the social and political structure of Gondor; general enquirers want information about the Wainriders, the Harad, Dwarvish origins, the Dead Men, the Beornings, and the missing two wizards (out of five).
>>84391437
I didn't believe it at first either, but I looked it up and it is 100% true.
>>
>>84391382

shit like this shows just how little he understands tolkien and his work
>>
What an annoying fag
>>
Okay so he wants a realistic fantasy world? yet he puts in le feminist characters who never lose.
>>
>>84391382
I swear most anons are more obsessed with Tolkien than Tumblr is with Harry Potter.
>>
fuck that lazy train conductor, he's worse than Tolkien by miles
>>
>>84391382
i get what he's trying to say, but fuck me it both looks and sounds retarded

who the fuck cares about a tax policy, why would a standing army matter after the story was over, its a war adventure story, who the fuck wants a book about a famine, and on top of that, the orcs are literally all rape babys that'll kill themselves through infighting, and didnt raise the retarded fuckers in cradles

fuck, he doesnt even write this shit, because no one cares. how many chapters are devoted to what the local chef cooks for King Dinkleberry because thats the important questions that didnt get answered
>>
"haha but what if they died?"

~ GRRM
>>
>>84391683
That's fine. Tolkien wrote something that made us question the frailty of man, yet presented it in a way that made hope always present and goodness achievable. His book is a literary masterpiece, opposed to Rowling's masturbatory fantasy.
>>
>>84391784
>opposed to Rowling's masturbatory fantasy.

This. Even as an 11 year old kid I got the sense that harry potter was written in a way to make you WANT to be a wizard, it's tailored to prick at your wishful thinking and causes you to sit and sigh and fantasize about hand-waving all your problems away.
>>
>>84391683
t. never been to Tumblr
we're discuss literary merits of both authors not whether or not we are hobbits or dwarves.
>>
>>84391539
AMERICAN TOLKIEN
>>
File: 1458131158505.png (65KB, 297x308px) Image search: [Google]
1458131158505.png
65KB, 297x308px
>baby orcs
>>
>>84391382
>Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper.
No shit, its almost like the fisher king, and the arthurian grail quest informed the mythology tolkien established.
>>
File: thinking_emoji.png (9KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
thinking_emoji.png
9KB, 160x160px
>>84391948
don't want to derail this thread but is there a reason why boys tend to grow out of Harry Potter when they hit puberty but women keep enjoying it into young adulthood and even beyond?
>>
>What was Aragorn’s tax policy?

gets me everytime
>>
>>84392048
>women keep enjoying it

tumblrinas arent real women
>>
>>84392048
It's intuitively obvious that women have pleb taste.
>>
>>84392087
The neckbeard element on /tv/ aren't real men. You were made for each other!
>>
>>84392048
women are less likely to get their shit taste judged by other women, men judge each other on their film/music/tv/game likes all the time
>>
>>84392116

how do i get a qt tumblr gf
>>
>>84391382
Yeah, pretty much. I think the best approach by another fantasy writer was "Epic Pooh" by Michael Moorcock though.
>>
>>84391667
>yet he puts in le feminist characters who never lose.
That only exists in the show.
>>
>>84391382
good point, I've always thought LOTR needed more about tax policy
>>
File: eric.jpg (80KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
eric.jpg
80KB, 500x497px
>>84392136
In such situations I ask myself "what would Eric do?".
>>
>>84392048

Women as creatures are inherently selfish and vain. Harry potter is a fantasy about making whatever you want come true with a flick of the wrist.

Flying around, conjuring food, wearing comfy robes, using potions to fix all health issues and becoming beautiful. Using a tiny ritual to get whatever you want is appealing to the ego of the female mind, hence why wiccanism is so popular among women.
>>
>>84391382
does he have to wear the fedora though?
>>
>>84392048
Girls generally enjoy school more. Fiction about a school = girl friendly.
Rowling is also a woman, so writing in the somewhat female perspective could resonate more with women.
Girls need escapism too, even if it's schlock compared even to it's genre fiction peers.
>>
>>84391667
who, brienne? biter tore a large chunk of her face off with his teeth and jaime when last he saw her thought she'd aged shockingly
>>
>>84392227
is that supposed to be shocking, and not what 99% of teenage boys are thinking?
>>
>>84391382

O R C C R A D L E S
R
C

C
R
A
D
L
E
S
>>
>>84392252
Yeah, that's our thing. Our thing that we do.
>>
>>84392227
You've gotta feel sympathy for the guy. Tiny Colorado town. If you do anything embarrassing from 7th grade on in front of your school, you can forget about ever getting laid until college. You did have a good enough GPA to get into college, right?
>>
>>84392203
In the books I get the feeling he's planting the seeds of Daenerys becoming another Mad King. Asha gets fuck-all from the kingsmoot and ends up captured. Sansa is a retard who's only alive and un-raped because of powerful men protecting her.
I like the books, it's a shame how things turned out.
>>
>>84392276
No idea, Eric's pretty shitty on me for posting it and refuses to communicate.
>>
File: Good Writing versus Bad Writing.jpg (157KB, 1000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Good Writing versus Bad Writing.jpg
157KB, 1000x1250px
>>
>tax policy isn't there!!
>when his shitty books have barely any description about government aside from what the nobles do to fuck over one another
>>
>>84392048
Because the HP books had a smorgasbord of attractive males that young girls can fantasise and drool over (Sirius, James, Draco, Tom, Cedric) but there was precisely zero females for boys.
>>
her cunt became the world
>>
>>84392203
>he's never heard of Princess Nymeria
>>
>>84392136
Give Tumblr pusy
>>
File: 1453656323224.jpg (1MB, 1588x2862px) Image search: [Google]
1453656323224.jpg
1MB, 1588x2862px
>>84392048
They do have some weird fascination with one of the dullest franchises in history. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>>
>>84392367
im sure george has many paragraphs with more words and no swearing.
Very suspecting that that was picked to make him look bad
>>
>>84391753
This. Tolkien wrote about the most pivotal period of time on middle earth. The end of the age of elves and beginning of the age of man. When the ring of power is rediscovered and destroyed. When the biggest bad threatens the land. When the heir to Gondor takes his place on the throne. Martin meanders for 7 books without purpose. You could start the story at any point and have no difference
>>
>>84392449
>Atlas Shrugged and Ulysses outside of shit-tier
your list is wrong
>>
>>84392383
that's also the reason harry ended up with bland characterless ginny, so that girls could self-insert

girls irl would have hated hermione for being smarter than them, just like in the book, so she couldn't end up with him
>>
>>84392266
Then why is slice of life high school anime so popular amongst young men?
>>
>>84392367

>gatsby
>good

It's boring. The writing is boring, the setting is boring, the time period is boring. Fuck that book.
>>
>>84392048
>friend has an icebreaker for freshman at her dorm
>speed-dating style, about 45 secs talking to someone before roating
>she comments on a girl's Deathy Hallows tattoo
>girl tells my friend that she is into shipping Harry Potter and Voldemort romantically as father/son
>friend tells me about it and we laugh while googling to see if it exists or if that girl was just fucking around
>5 daddy dom Harry/Voldemort fics on a03
WEW
E
W
>>
>>84391948
I didn't like the books as a kid either. I mean, magic wands, flying on brooms and shit? It all sounded very lazy, I'm pretty sure I played video games with more interesting worlds at that point
>>
>>84392659
Yes, exactly.
>>
>>84392549
>Ulysses
>Shit-tier
Why don't you go reread Eragon? It's probably more your speed.
>>
Writing is hard- George RR Martin, 2017
>>
>>84392252
That's not a fedora.
>>
>>84392449
this copy-pasta always gets posted.
>>
I'll never get why this one quote triggers /lit/ so hard. Nothing George says is explicitly wrong. Yes, we all know how Tolkien was constructing his mythos and what he was basing it off of. But all you fagots miss the entire context of the question the interviewer asked:

The whole question was about realism in high-fantasy and the line between the fantastic and the grounded. That's the whole point of the fucking quote. George compares his approach and why that works for him when directly compared (as he often is now) to Tolkien.

Do you kids really think he just brought up Aragorn's tax policy out of nowhere?
>>
>>84391382
>What was Aragorn’s tax policy?
Probably very fair, but also very likely it was delegated to his stewards/financial aids.

>Did he maintain a standing army
Probably for awhile after the last book. I mean, they already had plenty of fighting men ready to go, so why put them back to their normal lives while plenty of orcs and what not roam middle earth? Wait until that shit dies down, then let them go about their buisness.

>flood and famine
Wait until it all blows over I guess. Not much else to do.

>orcs
kill them until they stop messing with his kingdom. If they hole up in some deep dark place, then who cares? If you decide to start mining someplace, then deal with them then.

This is all easy enough to answer if he bother to put your imagination to work. Clearly GRRM has no imagination and needs everything blatantly shoved in his face; he probably loved the Hobbit movies.
>>
I sincerely hope he dies and all the faggot Asoiaf kiddies get cucked.
>>
>>84392906
Yeah but George acts like he has a leg to stand on when his own version of 'realism' in fiction is dude death of main characters and royal plots lmao. Anything more than that is debatable
>>
File: 1476251773529.gif (324KB, 401x353px) Image search: [Google]
1476251773529.gif
324KB, 401x353px
>>84392918
>I want someone to die and all of his fans to get cucked because he writes something I don't like.
>t. autism.
>>
>>84392449
Invisible man anywhere other than bottom tier invalidates this list
>>
File: 1446244139337.png (209KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1446244139337.png
209KB, 500x500px
Wait, I don't remember much, but I remember a scene where they're "creating" orcs in a vat or something.

There aren't baby orcs, are there? They certaintly aren't kept in cradles.
>>
>>84392958
You are just projecting though and oversimplifying the themes of his own books.
>>
File: 1498412760303.jpg (36KB, 700x313px) Image search: [Google]
1498412760303.jpg
36KB, 700x313px
tolkien was a shameless reactionary who ignored most of the important societal questions
>>
>>84391382
>Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?
did baby orcs exist? I thought orcs were created from captured and mutated elves
>>
>>84392994
The themes in ASoIaF aren't really complex. Just vague.
>>
>>84393054
They aren't super simple either. There is some level of depth to them, as much as you want to pretend otherwise for the memes.
>>
>>84392227
Why has nobody asked the obvious yet? Why didn't he do it when he had the chance?
>>
>>84391539
Holy fuck. Now I know why I never read this shit.
>>
>>84392329
Poor little every kid from every small town ever. Better kill people :^)
>>
>>84392990
If I recall correctly, orcs are brutally tortured elves. So I take it Sauron just went on a conquering spree in his youth, took over a shit ton of elven kingdoms and raped them into orcdom.
>>
>>84392960
>t. Cockgobbling GoT fan
I'm going to laugh soo hard when reality finally hits you cucks
>>
>>84391539
Fat retarded scat fetishist with 4 first names is a national treasure. Only in Murrica
>>
File: 1487412764735.gif (3MB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
1487412764735.gif
3MB, 512x288px
>>84393139
>HAHA WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU LIKE A THING I DON'T? WHAT A #C U C K!
>>
>>84393073
Debatable, but I'd like to see an example of what you deem a complex theme within his books. As far as the world and politics of asoiaf are concerned, they are a gross oversimplification of the medieval/rennaisance period.
>>
>>84391539
post the one where he imitates a horn by writing "HAROOOOOOOOO"
>>
>>84392994
>asoiaf
>themes

there aren't any

it's essentially a glorified telenovela in a "fantasy" setting underpinned by an extremely poor understanding of feudalism
>>
>>84392906
Yeah I have no idea why they're so bootyblasted over the quote, it's a reasonable response to the question.
>>
>>84392383
Hermione, Luna, Bellatrix, Tonks, Ginny. Assuming we are referring to books here.
>>
>>84393173
You're only proving my point retard.
, I'm sure germ will be able to finish not 1 but 2 books before his fatass heart explodes.
Your asspain is embarrassing you autistic fuck
>>
>>84393196
>As far as the world and politics of asoiaf are concerned, they are a gross oversimplification of the medieval/renaissance period.
It's not supposed to be a direct analogy to the medieval/rennaisance period, are we talking about the books or show? I agree with you that the show glosses over the political and social structures of the world in the books but you are daft as all fuck if you think George doesn't go into detail about the complex mechanics of Westerosi politics. That's been the singular thing these books have been praised for since the 90s...

You are just being a contrarian because hating on ASOIAF is the recurring memespeak over on /lit/.
>>
>>84393225
>an extremely poor understanding of feudalism
literally give one example.
>>
>>84392990
Not sure here, but Sauramons orcs are definitely dug up from the ground, and Sarons too probably. But then there are mountain orcs that seem to be self sustaining. It would make sense that there may be orc reproduction. Afterall, life uh, finds a way.
>>
>>84393225
Come on now the tv show is shit, but the books have war theme, doomed love and sacrifice themes etc
>>
>>84391382
To be fair, the Orcs are the weakest part of LoTR.
Other than their vague nature that was never really explored (corrupted elves sounds stupid) they were created to lack of humanity whatsoever, to make the protagonists that slaughter thousands of them avoid any moral issue.
>>
>>84393291
Buddy, the only one who appears assmad as all shit, is you. Relax already. Let people enjoy what they do.
>>
>>84392383
Luna was my waifu.
>>
File: 617842_v3.jpg (50KB, 350x257px) Image search: [Google]
617842_v3.jpg
50KB, 350x257px
>>84392532
maybe its because he's typed 5 400000 word novels on an 1980's DOS word processor using only one finger. It was bad enough that the first book had 8 separate narrators, the last one has 18. He cant remember whats happened so far since he wrote the first one 20 years ago. He doesn't know where he is going, just blabbering on endlessly; the next book in the series has been described as 'unpublishable due to it's length', and its not even finished.

That's why it just reads like a bunch of stuff that happened.
>>
>>84393359
>>HAHA WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU LIKE A THING I DON'T? WHAT A #C U C K!
>wtf buddy I'm not mad

K.
>>
>>84391382
I love how this triggered the LOTR kiddies
>>
>>84393391
I was literally greentexting how autistic you have sounded, friendo.
>>
>>84393330
the continent the size of North America being ruled by a single feudal ruler
>>
>>84393410
Sure thing guy
>>
>>84391655
literally this, extremely this

this guy is an hack and his fucking meme books are just like LOST, based on le big misteries and le meme characters arcs, i fart in his general direction
>>
>>84393456
Okay, so you are retarded then? Westeros wasn't ruled by a single ruler for thousands of years, it is literally too big so it functions as 7 independent fiefdoms that pay loyalties to a single crown...which is literally what England was like during the time of the Saxons; they were smaller independent kingdoms united under a single king or head. Regardless, there have been larger empires ruled by single families in our actual history. So why that in particular makes you sperg out, is beyond me.
>>
>>84393493
maybe you should scroll up and read your own autistic posts.
>I WANT A WRITER TO LITERALLY DIE REEEEE!
>woah, nothing personal kid ;) I'm not mad.
>>
>>84393502
>t. 12 year old
>>
>>84391382
>But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs?

But he does. They're literally all in the appendicis.
>>
File: le shrugging spoonman.jpg (48KB, 634x347px) Image search: [Google]
le shrugging spoonman.jpg
48KB, 634x347px
>>84393580
This tbqh.
Y'all can just agree to disagree.
>>
>>84391382

Why is it so hard for Martin to accept Tolkien made different type of story than he did? The essence of Lord of the Rings is constant struggle between good and evil. That's why the centerpiece of the story and the most powerful artifact feared by everyone is a ring which main ability is corruption of others. Not spamming fireballs or granting super strength, just corrupting good people. It's that simple, because that's what Tolkien enjoyed. A simple fairy-tale like stories of good vs. evil where good always wins.

The essence of GoT is conflict in general. There are no universally good characters and a few pure evil characters (like Ramsey). Almost everyone is grey, with their own personal goals and vices, because this is what Martin likes, a complexity, uncertainty, realism.

Just because both stories are set in medieval setting, it doesn't mean shit. They are very different. And yes, George, just because Aragorn was a good man he was automatically a good king, because he happened to live in the Middle Earth, not in Westeros.
>>
>>84393717
>Why is it so hard for Martin to accept Tolkien made different type of story than he did?
It's not, he was literally just answered a question. Jesus Christ you people are autistic.
>>
>>84393754
>he was literally just answered a question

Can I get that in English, maybe?
>>
>>84393717
Literally the point of what he was saying was how they're writing is different you fucking sperg
>>
>>84393616
nah dude, the books are worthless garbage compared to lotr, the guy had a career in television and soaps and the books are written to entertain; i don't hate the guy but we live in an age where if you sell enough normies will move you to god status and shit on everything else, these same normies will ignore him in some years because they can't wait for the new episode/book of some other shit
>>
>>84393791
*answering

cunt.
>>
>>84393299
I'm talking about the books, whose content is mainly derived from the War of the Roses period of English history - by GRRM's own admission. So yes, in effect that does make it an analogy, by the very definition of the word, since GRRM is very big on realism and has stated several times that asoiaf is an attempt at creating a fleshed out, believable world and characters.

As pertains to the intricacies of Westerosi politics, these are never expanded upon past the point of lords, vassals and fiefs. The king's extent of power is never properly determined, the role of the Church of the Seven and its relationship with the crown is never properly justified, the entirety of the kingdoms are ran by, practically, the king and those on the privy council. Moreover, what gives the king legitimacy to rule?

These are just some of the things that leave the politics of Westeros vague and susceptible to fruitless pondering - since we'll never really know for sure, unless GRRM expands upon it, which I doubt that he will. Not for the lack of trying, but for the lack of knowledge.

Not that I blame him. His comprehension of the world and politics is on par with the average person.
>>
>>84393818
Nobody is actually comparing them, they both do different things thematically.
>>
>Tolkien is the wen on the arse of fantasy literature. His oeuvre is massive and contagious—you can't ignore it, so don't even try. The best you can do is consciously try to lance the boil. And there's a lot to dislike—his cod-Wagnerian pomposity, his boys-own-adventure glorying in war, his small-minded and reactionary love for hierarchical status-quos, his belief in absolute morality that blurs moral and political complexity. Tolkien's clichés—elves 'n' dwarfs 'n' magic rings—have spread like viruses. He wrote that the function of fantasy was 'consolation', thereby making it an article of policy that a fantasy writer should mollycoddle the reader.
>>
>>84393818
>GRRM has a career in television and soaps

GRRM has been a writer for decades mate, he was a pretty big science fiction writer. He's recycled most of his science fiction plots for ASOIAF because he's a hack but the plots he's re using are good.
>>
>>84393717
You are retarded.
This board likes to pretend GRRM hates Tolkien because of one thing he said on an interview. I'm sure he realizes that Tolkien wrote a different kind of thing entirely, and Martin is not criticizing him for it.
>>
>>84392048
My friends favorite series of all time is Harry potter. He also loves the old star wars eu, eats nothing but french fries and pizza, and mainly only reads young adult novels. He's 21
>>
>>84391382
*tips fedora*
>>
>>84393870
i am a ""critic"" so my duty is to be as harsh as possible about everything that isn't about smoking and talking with the devils n shit
>>
>>84393870
who is this tattooed badass? I'd like to start a black flag-like punk band with him
>>
>no gods no kings
>muh communism

If he looked at real history he'd see his sorry ass ideology has a century long history of invariable failure at the cost of hundreds of millions of lives.
>>
>>84393901
Actually he DID criticize Tolkien's depiction of war because there wasn't enough sexual violence. He, a draft dodger, criticized a man who fought in the first World War and lost all his friends as depicting war as dishonest and unrealistic.
>>
>>84393831

Thanks for typing English. Now, for the main course

Explain to me how you go from a question that states

>A major concern in A Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones is power. Almost everybody – except maybe Daenerys, across the waters with her dragons – wields power badly.

To completly unrelated matter of J.R.R. Tolkien and how his fantasy, fairy tale-like setting of good vs. evil did not include detailed description of Aragorn's tax policies?
>>
>>84393842
>I'm talking about the books, whose content is mainly derived from the War of the Roses period of English history - by GRRM's own admission.
The main conflict is analogous to the War of the Roses, the entire world itself is not. Westeros is a blending of various time periods...by his own admission.
>As pertains to the intricacies of Westerosi politics, these are never expanded upon past the point of lords, vassals and fiefs
This is literally not true though. It sounds like you didn't read it.
>The king's extent of power is never properly determined
This is outlined constantly to various characters throughout the series.
>the role of the Church of the Seven and its relationship with the crown is never properly justified
It analogous to the early Catholic Church. I'm convinced you never read the books now. You are sounding like a fucking retard.
>the entirety of the kingdoms are ran by, practically, the king and those on the privy council. Moreover, what gives the king legitimacy to rule?
But that's not true, most of the day-to-day shit is done internally by heads of the families and Wardens. The Crown itself dictates country wide policy and is in command of raised armies...much like how it was in England in the time of the Saxon invasion. The King, in exchange for general protection, orders lower lords of fiefs (7 different kingdoms) to raise local armies to fight for a unified banner. None of this is otherworldly or hard to follow.
>These are just some of the things that leave the politics of Westeros vague and susceptible to fruitless pondering
More than half of everything you said is flat out wrong though.
>Not that I blame him. His comprehension of the world and politics is on par with the average person.
Maybe, the issue is you and perhaps you have a cursory knowledge of the material?
>>
>>84393299
>It's not supposed to be a direct analogy to the medieval/rennaisance period, are we talking about the books or show?

Both are shit. There is no political intrigue in ASOIAF. Literally every twist or betrayal in the books and in the show is a tiny variant of

>Hey, we have all these old traditions, customs, and rules of honor!
>hehehe but fuck all that, fuck yer honor and fuck yer rules
>*stabs u*

It's literally how every twist plays out. Some character violates some old law or rule or concept of being honorable and trustworthy. It's literally a universe where all rules are made to exclusively be broken.
>>
>>84393456
It's funny, I kind of headcanoned it as Westeros really being closer to the size of Britain for the purposes of spokemon language/government. Like, clearly that's what he was going for; Britain, except really big. You kind of have to suspend some disbelief.
>>
>>84394001
Because the original question was actually in relation to Tolkien you fucking tard.
>>
>>84391539
Why didn't Frodo simply hide the ring inside his ass?
>>
>>84391382
What was Aragorn’s tax policy?

I hope he and Rowling both die at an Ariana Grande concert.
>>
>>84394037
There is nothing to stop these governmental mechanics from happening on a larger scale.
>>
Reminder GRRM has accomplished more in his life than every poster in this thread combined
>>
>>84393971
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Mi%C3%A9ville

his Bas-Lag novels are the best fantasy I've ever read hands down
>>
File: 1463680601138.jpg (173KB, 900x1361px) Image search: [Google]
1463680601138.jpg
173KB, 900x1361px
>>84393870

whos this fag
>>
>>84394034
>I can boil anything down to sound dumb
LOTR is just a hiking trip to dispose of evil jewelry.
>>
>>84394048

Uhm, the thing I greentexted was the original question, sweetie.

Are you alright? You seem kinda angry for some reason...
>>
>>84394100
>I greentexted was the original question, sweetie.
No it wasn't, faggot.
>>
File: 1459084989345.jpg (55KB, 540x534px) Image search: [Google]
1459084989345.jpg
55KB, 540x534px
>>84393870

>China Tom Miéville FRSL (/ˈtʃaJnə miˈeJvəl/; born 6 September 1972) is an English fantasy fiction author, comic writer, political activist and academic. He often describes his work as weird fiction and allied to the loosely associated movement of writers sometimes called New Weird.

>Miéville is active in left-wing politics in the UK and has previously been a member of the International Socialist Organization (US), and the short-lived International Socialist Network. He was formerly a member of the Socialist Workers Party and in 2013 became a founding member of Left Unity.[1] He stood for Regent's Park and Kensington North for the Socialist Alliance in the 2001 UK General election, gaining 1.2% of votes cast. He published his PhD thesis on Marxism and international law as a book.
>>
>>84392449
>>84392549
Never fails to bait some newfags
>>
>>84393239
What about them makes them sexy though?

It's p easy to translate what makes men sexy to stories (money, power), but a bit harder to do with women.
>>
>>84391635
kek
>>
File: 9780330392891-us-300.jpg (27KB, 300x471px) Image search: [Google]
9780330392891-us-300.jpg
27KB, 300x471px
>>84394136
good books though
>>
>>84392711
whoa, that is some stellar criticism, very convincing
>>
File: reddit frontpage tonight.png (151KB, 1884x831px) Image search: [Google]
reddit frontpage tonight.png
151KB, 1884x831px
>>84394126

Hmm
>>
File: 1450109938.jpg (50KB, 561x585px) Image search: [Google]
1450109938.jpg
50KB, 561x585px
>>84394088
>>
>>84394221
>DON'T TALK ABOUT TOLKIEN OMFG REEEEE WTF I HATE GEORGE NOW!!! REEEE!!!!
>>
>>84394093

Name one point of conflict in ASOIAF that wasn't a character surprising everyone else by breaking a law, custom, or tradition.
>>
>>84394136
>New Weird
how original
>>
>>84392483
If you write porn, you get judged by your porn.
>>
>>84394242

???

Is everything alright, sweetie? 3 quick breathes in, one quick breath out
>>
>>84393993
>he thinks GRRM is a communist

He's against organized religion and feudalism but that doesn't make him a communist
>>
Why does this quote trigger /tv/ autists so hard?
>>
>>84393886
Most artists reuse ideas from former work.
>>
>>84394246
Jon's initial conflict with learning to accept his role as a Night's Watch member and growing into adulthood.

Rob's conflict of avenging his father's execution and battling with running a war while also trying to keep whatever is left of his family in tact.

Bran learning to tap into his Greenseer powers.

Tyrion, usually just trying to survive.
>>
>>84394208
>>>leftypol
>>
>>84394281
>being this autistic.
>>
File: 1492147868197.gif (974KB, 291x204px) Image search: [Google]
1492147868197.gif
974KB, 291x204px
>>84393870
>Tolkien isn't edgy enough
>>
>>84394246
You're pretty autistic, mate.
>>
>>84394319
>Jon's initial conflict with learning to accept his role as a Night's Watch member and growing into adulthood.

in another dimension jon's didn't get a free pass about his oath and actually stayed there doing what he was supposed to do instead of LOL RESSED, that would have been actual writing, but he writes to sell
>>
>>84394399
>Wow you know about a book? what an autist lmao
>>
>>84394401
Buddy, we don't know what happens after Jon is stabbed to death in the book...
>>
>>84394349

So wait, a quick rundown

You fucked up basic English on your initial tantrum
Then continued your tantrum with a baseless argument
Then I rebuked your argument with proof
Then you ignored my proof because why not
Then I provided even better proof (with your cool portert included)
And then, after having nothing left, you got back to spewing insults and greentexting

Seems like a good run, just like in Tolkien's book, seems like the good guy (me) was destined to win from very beginning ;D
>>
>>84394425
Except you clearly don't if you think literally EVERY conflict is just a variation of one of those three things. It was already proven to you that it's not.
>>
>>84394432
He did break his oath in the book already, like lots of other watchmen.
>>
>>84391382

Im willing to admit he suffers from autism
>>
>>84394459
Right...but he hasn't come back to life or abandoned the Watch completely.
>>
>>84391382
this is basically your average autistic lorefag
>>
>>84394436
You are talking to multiple anons, mate. Yes..you do sound pretty autistic during this whole exchange.
>>
>>84394307

because its pretentious and beyond stupid

its meant to be deep and insightful but instead communicates a complete failure to understand tolkien and his work
>>
>>84394365
Gemmell, Gene Wolfe and Vance are the only good anglo fantasy writers
>>
>>84394543
so, it does actually trigger you?
>>
>>84394432
yeah the writer clearly didn't give the show runners any direction

the book were originally intended to have jon and dragon plot armor lady to be married and rule the world, maybe with tyrion ruling somewhere as a wise king and shit because that would be the reddit thing to do, but the books have been out for a long time and discussed to death and i am sure even grmm now realizes that even normies have seen this coming
>>
>>84394561
that's just pure fan speculation
>>
>>84394561
Can we have a single discussion here without devolving into calling things "the reddit thing to do"? Just makes me think you are underage.
>>
>>84394558

define "trigger"

its dumb enough for me to understand why people would make fun of it every time its posted
>>
>>84394611
But it's really not that dumb, that's the issue.
>>
>>84394602
look it's a perfect expression to point out what kind of demographic falls for this shit
>>
>>84392990
>>84393335
those aren't orcs, those are uruk-hai.
>>
>>84391382
>it's another "anon on the worst board hijacks a topic that's meant for the more patrician /lit/ in an effort to appear less stupid than he actually is because he's grown tired of talking about the twenty other retarded topics he usually occupies his time with" episode
>>
>>84394640

it really is though

maybe we have different standards
>>
>/lit/
>barely any published authors, most are too busy rereading Gatsby
>grrm
>bestselling award-winning author, too busy with fangirl pussy and food

JUST
>>
>>84394644
It's just retarded memespeak and you know it.
>>
>>84394671
>muh pretentious standards
>George is never allowed to criticize anything Tolkien related
get off your fucking high-horse and stop taking every morsel of this quote literally, how about that? His overall point is that Tolkien approaches realism in a different way.

Christ, why do we have to talk about this years old quote on two different boards? You babies are triggered little faggots.
>>
>>84394657
>it's another “reddit member of a crappy dead reddit board killed by reddit politics tries to appear as if he's not a reddit piece of shit and by replying with a condescending tone to a popular topic” episode
>>
File: 1234311[1].jpg (21KB, 290x475px) Image search: [Google]
1234311[1].jpg
21KB, 290x475px
>>84394549
>Gene Wolfe
Book of the New Sun was so good in my opinion. It ruined other books for me. I actually heard about it from a /got/ thread, funnily enough.
>>
>>84394683
>/lit/

IT'S LITTY
>>
What was Sauron's tax policy of maggoty bread
>>
>>84394022
>But that's not true,
I'll assume you were referring to the Norman invasion. The political model of the Anglo-Saxons was tumultuous and didn't last nearly as long as it does in asoiaf, nor does it show any signs of change or progress throughout the history of the kingdoms.

>It analogous to the early Catholic Church.
What's the point here? The catholic church wielded considerable power, even at its earliest stages. It's what gave dukes, kings and emperors the legitimacy to rule. The Church of the Seven is never shown to wield or propagate such power.

These are the only points I thought were worth addressing. You provide no particular nor compelling argument to effectively reason the rest.
>>
>ice wizards LMAO
>dragon queen (tips beard) m'lady
>incest and rape make all the babies since i can't get laid lol
>bad guys win ok I'm hardcore and more smart than you mmk
>>
>>84394740
The problem is he seems to miss the entire point of the Tolkien works. He wasn't trying to depict a realistic world. GRRM's criticism doesn't mean anything at that point.
>>
>>84394688
you say that because deep down you feel ashamed about actively participating in reddit
>>
I wish I could give a hateful stare at any and all people who killed fantasy by pretending shit like Robin Hobbs and GRRM are any more than trash
>>
>>84391482
huurr
Says the guy who'll probably next be arguing who would win in a fight between superman and goku
>>
>>84394844
>>But that's not true,
>I'll assume you were referring to the Norman invasion.
No, the Saxon invasion and settling.
>The political model of the Anglo-Saxons was tumultuous and didn't last nearly as long as it does in asoiaf
That wasn't the point though, was it?
>What's the point here?
That the Church of the Seven was based on the relationship between the Catholic Church and European powers and this is literally expanded upon in the books.
>The Church of the Seven is never shown to wield or propagate such power.
This is quite literally, the focus of two entire books with the POV's in King's Landing.
>You provide no particular nor compelling argument to effectively reason the rest.
You're just being a dismissive cuntbag who hasn't actually read the books.

Fuck off, brainlet.
>>
>>84394960
Superman is indestructible and Goku got killed several times
>>
>>84394863
No, nobody actually cares about browsing on reddit. Maybe if you stopped mentioning it every fucking three minutes people would stop memeing about it.
>>
>>84394852
>He wasn't trying to depict a realistic world.
How can you say that after you look at all the effort that went into building the histories of Middle-Earth?
>>
>>84395045
>realistic = detailed
wew lad
>>
>>84394980
>No, the Saxon invasion and settling.
Should've specified.

>That wasn't the point though, was it?
The point was that it was discontinued and improved upon.

>That the Church of the Seven was based on the relationship between the Catholic Church and European powers and this is literally expanded upon in the books.
Yet the king doesn't garner his legitimacy from the Church in asoiaf.

>This is quite literally, the focus of two entire books with the POV's in King's Landing.
No, it's not.

>You're just being a dismissive cuntbag who hasn't actually read the books.
Why would I read some dumbfuck's drivel?
>>
>>84395045
A highly detailed universe doesn't necessarily mean it's realistic.
>>
>>84395106
I didn't say that, did I? Every single culture is based on some real world thing and the mythologies of those cultures. Like Norse, Greek, Roman and so on.
>>
>>84395156
>Yet the king doesn't garner his legitimacy from the Church in asoiaf.
Yes...he does.
>Why would I read some dumbfuck's drivel?
So you didn't read it? Right then. Great talk. I have no clue why you wasted my time on a book series you never fucking read.

Why even have an opinion?
>>
>>84395214
Cry about it
>>
>>84395181
There is nothing realistic about LotR.
>>
>>84395007
I don't know if you're b8ing but superman died too, but lets not get into this shit again
>>
File: 1485852218087.gif (968KB, 479x347px) Image search: [Google]
1485852218087.gif
968KB, 479x347px
>>84395237
You literally started a conversation, criticizing a book series you didn't fucking read.

That is genuine autism, matey.
>>
>>84393137

Melkor started that shit, nigga
>>
>>84395256
Nothing? Nothing at all?
>>
>>84395310
Zilch
>>
How does GRRM address inflation?
>>
>>84395330
Braap posting
>>
>>84395045

because none of it is realistic, nor does it try to be

when you're talking about the history of middle earth, it reads like mythology, which is what its supposed to be, not an actual history, it reads like a norse saga

thats why the silmarillion/unfinished tales is so different to lotr and especially the hobbit

his stories are supposed to take place in a long forgotten period of time in europe, thats why all the cultures/races are like echos of real life peoples, but they're supposed to be essentially folk tales and myth

tolkien believed that all mythology carried a kernel of truth, that they were originally tales of real events that got lost in time and human misunderstanding
>>
>>84395214
>Yes...he does.
No, he doesn't.

>So you didn't read it? Right then. Great talk. I have no clue why you wasted my time on a book series you never fucking read.
Time spent on 4chan is time wasted. You were already lost before I even said anything.
>>
>>84394782
I found the pacing in this to be really bizarre am I just a pleb?
>>
>>84395473
At least I'm not arguing with strangers about a book I never read. You're literally just talking out of your ass then defaulting to "hurr durrr you on 4chan teehee ;)" no shit, genius. Where do you think you are?
>>
>>84395492
Yes.
>>
>>84392329
>tiny colorado town

littleton is a suburb of denver lol
>>
>>84391539
wait, who is Sunset?
>>
>>84394522

>you do sound pretty autistic

Good thing the only unnatural thing psychiatrist found out about me was my high intelligence and that accusations of being autistic by literal nobodies, especially after I've written a well-constructed, on-topic post do little for me ;)
>>
>>84393842
>what gives the king legitimacy to rule?
Let me stop you right there faggot. I'll have you know, since clearly you didn't read the books otherwise you would know, that the above quote is a recurring theme in the series. Varys poses the question of who has more power "a king, a priest, a rich man or a sellsword" in the second book and it is up to Tyrion (and by extension the reader) to figure out the answer. Literally every contender for the throne (Dany, Stannis, Renly, Joffers) claims to have the sole legitimacy for it but the truth is they are all equally wrong. It is not laws and divine rights that make a king but rather military strength (AKA the sellsword), which is how Robert was able to become king in the first place. Robert having Targ blood is just a convenient excuse, he would have had the throne regardless. Whenever Melly Sanders makes a sacrifice using king's blood, why is it king's blood so special? Not because it's is intrinsically worth more than common blood, but because she believes that it holds divine power. Kings have no power beyond the public's belief in them. When the public lacks faith in the king the rebel against him (does Mad King ring any bells?)
tldr: you're a faggot speedreader without an analytical bone in his body
>>
>Tolkien
>Accomplished scholar and linguist
>Lived through two worlds wars and the great depression, frequently witnessing the bleakest parts of human life
>despite this, he draws from his extensive knowledge of mythology and creates a timeless classic of world literature which calls on its readers to be hopeful against overwhelming odds, to put the needs of others before their own and to strive for a better world.

>GGRM
>Fat fuck baby boomer american who lived through a golden age of economic prosperity
>Sordid career of writing overwriting sclock and tv shows
>Unlike Tolkien, writes cynical and pessimistic stories which mock noble and self sacrificing characters and instead lionize the actions of selfish greedy pricks as being smart and resourceful
>his legion of weak balless fans who have never experienced adversity in their lives like Tolkien and are also cynical self loathing sad fucks buy it hook and sinker and carry his meme books to a level they don't deserve.

He is quintessential 2edgy4me shit writer.
>>
>>84393239
Technically if we're taking into account the chick who was pined over by the most characters, Lily is pretty smokin too
>>
File: 1470522357814.gif (3MB, 294x238px) Image search: [Google]
1470522357814.gif
3MB, 294x238px
>>84395572
>was my high intelligence
>well-constructed posts
thanks for the laugh, faggot.
>>
>>84395492
I don't really know what you mean. I felt it progressed as any adventure ought to. Granted Severian doesn't accomplish a lot in the first book towards his journey but I enjoyed reading what befell him.
>>
>>84395591
>>Unlike Tolkien, writes cynical and pessimistic stories which mock noble and self sacrificing characters and instead lionize the actions of selfish greedy pricks as being smart and resourceful

That's absolutely stupid. The good and the bad characters in ASOIAF are humans that make mistakes. There's no "perfect" guy like Aragorn, every single character in ASOIAF is good in some areas and bad in others.

But it is true that in history the people that are more ruthless usually went farther than the kind ones. That's just how things were and still are.

>>his legion of weak balless fans who have never experienced adversity in their lives like Tolkien and are also cynical self loathing sad fucks buy it hook and sinker and carry his meme books to a level they don't deserve.
You can say the same thing about LOTR fans.

I mean, I love both books, but they are vastly different from one another and shouldn't be compared.
>>
>>84395815
>but they are vastly different from one another and shouldn't be compared.
This.
>>
>>84395815
>implying aragorn is perfect.

Confirmed for never having read the books.
>>
>>84395588
The point went over your head, budday. Of course the man with the bigger army will be king, but the public's belief in justifying his rule is all dependent on social legitimacy, provided to him by the church - which isn't the case in the books. The closest GRRM ever came to any such relationship was in the show between Tommen and Fuck guy
>>
>>84394561
Yes, dany is going to be queen
/sigh

The whole point is that feudalism is bad, nobody is going to be king or queen in the end. The end goal is people removing the shitty system and working towards a democratic and more fair society that doesn't break out into huge civil war for the smallest reasons.
>>
>>84395950
Aragorn is from a long line of divinely blessed line of kings and is watched over by literal gods. Yes, he's pretty close to perfect.
>>
>>84392449
lazy introductory sentence, 2/10
>>
>>84395760

Oh no, pls don't laugh at me, Anonymous :( how will I show my face to anyone after such humiliation :(
>>
>>84396082
>talking about how intelligent he is.
>is expecting nobody to make fun of him for that.
>>
>>84395953
>provided to him by the church - which isn't the case in the books
But again, this is literally wrong.
>>
>>84391382
/tv/ disagrees and /tv/ has shit opinions
course he's right
>>
>>84396128

What is there to make fun of for being intelligent? Is it also customary to make fun of people with big dongs or fuckload of cash? I merely remakred on a fact that after I went to a psychologist, as it was one of requirements for getting my scholarship, she made proper tests and conducted I have very high intelligence. I'm sorry if you feel uncomfortable with the fact, but that's the truth.
>>
i wish i didnt share a board with all you redditor GoT faggots. footfags annoy me less
>>
File: theoden-rotk-3397648.jpg (178KB, 1182x796px) Image search: [Google]
theoden-rotk-3397648.jpg
178KB, 1182x796px
>Assemble the accountants at Dunharrow, as many actuaries as can be found, you have two days
>On the third, we file our tax returns
>>
>>84396224
lol it's because you aren't intelligent
>>
Maybe it's just me, but I have seen this quote as grrm saying that he wanted to know more about this side of the world that Tolkien created, but there wasn't really much there. Therefore he decided to focus his story on a lot of the politics and things that made the places in the world work. I think both authors focused on vastly different things, Tolkien on the adventure of these few characters that changed that world and not much about the world itself, while grrm is more on the characters running the world that those adventurers would live in, or at least a bit of both. It seemed like in the Dunk and Egg stories he was going for something a bit more traditional, showing both types of stories were going on in this world.
At this point I'm kinda just rambling but those are just my thoughts
>>
>>84396224
nice bait.
>>
of course he was right. Tolkien was a hack who wrote a bunch of fucking boring shite books. Yeah they were high effort. Doesn't make them not shite
>>
disregard the whole tax thing, I can say that I don't find ASoIaF interesting. It's hard to describe, almost like it has no inherent meaning or goal? What is the purpose of all the events, what is the meaning of all the backstabbing and torture, tits and cake? It seems rather random to me and without any internal depth. Who am I to root for? Is this realism? Why is this so boring?
>>
>>84396231
I'd rather have feet-generals than redittor GoTards, fuck it's embarrassing.
>>
>>84396378
>lazy shitepost
>>
>>84396426
The purpose is a magical war between possibly two ancient beings, one of which is a literal god, with a juggling prophecy that may not exist, as all of life is threatened to go extinct by White Walkers...with a handful of people at the center of an apocalyptic-tier event.
>>
>>84395275
I'm not him. Welcome to 4chan redit
>>
>>84396496
so how long does it take to get to the actual war? And doesn't that make all the books up to that point filler?
>>
>>84392367
>F. Scott Shitzgerald, the 'look at me, IM WRITING' writer
So overrated it hurts with his empty flowery prose.
>>
>>84396341
Also
both stories seem to revolve around the idea of seemingly normal people being corrupted by power, lotr being using a magic ring that corrupts even the strongest, and asoiaf having a more "realistic" depiction of it just being straight power, which I think is what the person was asking grrm about

Don't really agree with their statement that dany hasn't been corrupted, as I think she'll be like the mad king
>>
>>84396526
They make you read it in American high schools so it must be good.
>>
>>84393994
>He, a draft dodger, criticized a man who fought in the first World War and lost all his friends as depicting war as dishonest and unrealistic.
You say that like it doesn't make perfect sense, that a draft dodger would say a writer has an obligation to depict war as evil
>>
>>84396496
That's probably the biggest weakness of the series imo. Like >>84396525 says it makes everything before then feel like filler almost. The second magic became explicitly no-bullshit real I started to lose interest
>>
>>84395214
>Yes...he does.
Not at all. Robert became king through conquest. The Targaryens became kings through conquest. The church was a matter of convenience to help pacify subjects in their respective reigns. Their 'legitimacy' never had anything to do with the church.
>>
Sapkowski's Witcher (original Polish, not that translated trash) > R.R. Martin's ASOIAF > Tolkien's LOTR
>>
>>84396526

>muh hemingway
>muh iceberg
>muh knows he can never compete with fitzgerald so he pairs his language down to nothing out of bitterness man
>>
>>84395953
There are so many other ways to be king without support of the church. Not even in history was divine right the only way.
>>
File: BF.jpg (25KB, 321x499px) Image search: [Google]
BF.jpg
25KB, 321x499px
no author holds a candle to this masterpiece
>>
>>84396811
>the only two writers of merit in existence are hemingway and shitzgerald
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>84392048

What we consider 'adult' is usually full of violence and this is just a guess or something I've observed but women generally don't like violence in media.
>>
>>84396525
If you think 6 books is too much for you...that's your own fault. Most of them is covering the entire War of Five Kings.
>>
>>84396871

>debating the stylistics of american golden age literature without specific reference to one of those aforementioned writers

oh sorry i didnt know you were in HS still, yeah man fitzgerald sucks haha, man cant believe we have to read a whole chapter by wednesday
>>
>>84396504
REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT
>>
>>84394065
underrated
>>
>>84396719
Gee, it's almost like you never read the books and don't really understand the relationship the Church had with the Crown. Or how that relationship waned until Tommen (like a dumb fuck) reignited their power and hold on the Crown itself.
>>
>>84396719
The church was fine with him in charge because it wasn't a problem, so they were okay with it. The books show what happens when the church doesn't support the king. The fat high septon also attended pretty much every royal affair, too. When the brutal High Sparrow is introduced, they even have several speeches about how the church had been corrupt and was largely in bed with the king. It really is all in there, the church is present and complicit pretty much all the time until the High Sparrow shows up. The only other time I can think of is in the first book when they're furious that Joffrey carried out an execution on holy ground, which was supposed to sever the church's support, but was dropped foreshadowing from when the serious was going to be a tight little trilogy.
>>
>>84397083
That was Cersei who did that...
>>
>>84396855
give me the ol rundown, friend
>>
>>84397220
Cersei did at first but then Tommen got wrapped up into all that bullshit. Tommen truly believes in the Faith Militant's work. That was my point.
>>
>>84391539
https://youtu.be/QmKhGqWcJGY
>>
>>84396525
Never! George isn't really excited to get to that point and he won't ever release another book ever again! Sorry kids, ASOIAF is three really good books and two less important epilogues. That's all, folks!
>>
>>84397241
Are you sure you read the books?
Tommen is just a little kid who doesn't really do much (at least from what I remember)
Cersei is the only one fucking things up
>>
>>84395998
Naw, just because his daddy's important and God's watching doesn't mean he ain't just a man.
>>
>>84397349
Yes again, Tommen gets slowly brainwashed into all of the Faith Militant nonsense and starts to favor their cause...which is something Cersei didn't expect.
>>
>>84392449
>Atlas Shrugged
>God tier

This never fails to trigger me.
>>
>>84392367
Martin's writing isn't great, but his characters and plots are interesting. Also, this is textbook cherry picking. Also, "penis" and "vagina" sound too clinical and Latin-derived for a Middle Ages fantasy world.
>>
>>84393036
>I thought orcs were created from captured and mutated elves
They were, in the First Age, since then they have bred the old fashioned way.
Think of them as the shart-in-marters compared to the europeans.
>>
File: soapers.jpg (150KB, 763x800px) Image search: [Google]
soapers.jpg
150KB, 763x800px
>>84391382

But he wasn't "right." GRRM missed the entire fucking point of LotR: It was fantastical fiction.

His need to over-analyze it until it barely exists anymore just make him look like every othe tryhard fat nerd pseudo intellectual.

Tolkien didn't "omit" or "fail to explain" anything of consequence, in the context of LotR's narrative. GRRM is a fucking faggot.
>>
>>84397388
It's been a while since I've read the two most recent books so I guess I'll go reread them
I figured that was just something they changed for the show
>>
>>84392958
hes just stealing war of the roses intrigue
how is that
>DUDE DEATH LMAO

i like it for that its a neat little historical fiction story
>>
>>84397472
The show just mostly expands upon it.
>>
>>84393855
>themes
>in GoT

TOP KEK
>>
>>84397659
>he thinks there are no themes.
You don't have to like the themes for them to exist, you realize this...right?
>>
>>84392449
>Atlas Shrugged
>That high
wew lad.
>>
>>84397708
AHAHAAH YOU ACTUALLY THINK THERE ARE DEVELOPED THEMES IN GOT

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
>>
>>84397778
Yes, kiddo.
>>
>>84394081
>implying he will be remembered
He's only popular because of a tv series, once that's done he will fade into the erotic stories category
>>
>>84397708
Name one consistent theme throughout the entire series other than LEWL DED.

There are none, they meander through a bunch of different scenes and set pieces with not overarching design philosophy to draw them together.

He writes like someone developing a pitch for an episodic pseudo-medieval fantasy show.
>>
>>84397993
>Name one consistent theme throughout the entire series
That even good people gets killed and the world is a messy and rotten place where justice isn't objective.
>>
>>84397993
>the impact of war
>what people will do for power
>power isn't suited for everyone
just to name a few
>>
>>84397858
Anon, that's still more than you're ever going to accomplish.
>>
>>84397993
>He writes like someone developing a pitch for an episodic pseudo-medieval fantasy show.
You need to project less.
>>
>>84397993
The dichotomy between the true, natural way and the evil of those who betray it
>>
>>84397858
>He's only popular because of a tv series
He's been a NY Times bestselling author for literally decades. Are you faggots utterly retarded?
>>
>>84391539
Never gets old.
>>
>>84391539
Woah #Brave #TakeThatTolkien #EveryonePoops
>>
>>84392079
>how do we take an already incredibly boring book, and make it ambien in literary form?

It's George Lucas level thinking. You know what the old Star Wars was missing? Space parliamentary politics, of course!
>>
only teenagers and manchildren like GoT because it has death, sex, and makes idiots feel smart - all you need for pleb entertainment.
>>
>>84392711
>>84396526

t. fag who read it in high school

If you're still a kid (under 25), grow a few years, live a little, then read it again. If you're already grown, read it now. It's a fucking masterpiece, but completely lost on a teenage retard.
>>
>>84396712
Agreed. When I first read AGoT I somehow accidentally skipped over the prologue. Without an immediate glimpse into the Others and the magic of GRRM's world in general the book actually becomes a lot more interesting.
>>
File: 1470511570672.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1470511570672.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
>>84398273
thanks for sharing.
>>
>>84392990
That was explicitly movie stuff. Saruman basically bred a race of half orc-half man-half manbearpig.
>>
>>84398094
>>84398056
>>84398039
I said other than LEWL DIED. ffs, people don't read shit, they just get triggered and scramble to post their butthurt.
>>
>>84398352
>my name is Darkstar, and I am of the night
t. mature non-edgy author
>>
>>84398418
>I said other than LEWL DIED. ffs, people don't read shit
Did you read any of the responses you got you stupid faggot? Death is just a part of the themes mentioned to you. Stop being stupid.
>>
all you GoT faggots take your reddit discussion to >>>/lit/
>>
>>84391382
>What was Aragorn's tax policy?
Oh my god I've never been more glad that I don't follow this shitty fucking series of bullshit books and god awful TV.
>>
>>84391382
Reminds me of Stargate. The solution to every galactic threat was absolute genocide.
>>
>>84398470
/lit/ don't consider GoT to be "literature" so the abomination that is /got/ stays here
>>
>>84398418
Balance of forces
Magic returning to the world
The repetition of history
>>
>>84391382
He's right. TWOW when you fucking hack?
>>
>>84398507
>/lit/ don't consider GoT to be "literature"
because they are pretentious bullshiters and pseudos.
>>
>>84398628
they're right though
>>
>DUDE TAXES LMAO
Jesus christ /got/ fags are fucking cancer
>>
reminder that GRRM never explained the tax system of Westeros
>>
>>84398641
What makes literature "literature" then?
>>
>>84398641
No they aren't, it's just an autistic categorization that is completely dependent on personal preference. Even things I dislike are literature, I don't get to decide what is or isn't literature.
>>
>>84398418
(You)
>>
>>84398722
>>84398816
they dont consider lotr to be literature either so go cry about it on /got/
>>
>>84398890
You are absolutely retarded if you don't consider lotr to be literature.

Also, nobody is crying here, /lit/fag.
>>
>>84398890
Then why are we arguing?
>>
File: 1478152305896.jpg (30KB, 522x593px) Image search: [Google]
1478152305896.jpg
30KB, 522x593px
>>84396224
>I merely remakred on a fact that after I went to a psychologist, as it was one of requirements for getting my scholarship, she made proper tests and conducted I have very high intelligence
>>
>>84398947
i wasn't arguing about anything. maybe if your favourite book wasn't so shit you wouldn't be defensive.
>>
>>84399001
What? I don't know what you're talking about anymore. I literally asked what makes literature "literature" and so far you haven't said.
>>
>>84394065
Because he likes to maintain eye contact with Sam
>>
>>84396317

lol, you mad? I have nigh genius-level intellect and unlike most of you retards I have an actual confirmation of what I have known all my life :) I'm intelligent, I think quickly, I learn quickly and everyone in my life acknowledges those facts. I feel soooooooo bad you random, Anonymous people can't see greatness even when it stands right in front of you
>>
File: 1468293472128.gif (137KB, 890x890px) Image search: [Google]
1468293472128.gif
137KB, 890x890px
>>84400090
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.