[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I going crazy? > Decide to show friends Lost Highway (bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: lost-highway-1-1024x533.png (602KB, 1024x533px) Image search: [Google]
lost-highway-1-1024x533.png
602KB, 1024x533px
Am I going crazy?

> Decide to show friends Lost Highway (bad idea, I know).
> Hope for the best but come prepared to hear that they just didn't like it.
> Movie ends.
> "The ONLY good thing about that movie was Gary Busey." - unironic friend
> Easily one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
> Try to explain that the film Intentionally refuses to give away it's secret(s). Explain that the mystery is intentionally not given a clear resolution.
> "What the fuck?! That's the first thing you learn about in filmmaking!" - same guy
> MFW

Am I crazy for enjoying uncertainty and confusion and chaos in a movie? I feel like lately I have fallen out of love with conventional drama and storytelling and thought Lost Highway's hectic nature was pretty effective for the nature of the material (psychic fugue).

Guess I probably shouldn't show them Mulholland Dr. now.
>>
Why do you care if they enjoy it or not as long as you like it?
Just watch your stuff alone
>>
You have pleb friends.
>>
>having friends
That is where you messed up.

Also stfu you think your special? No your not the only one your hopelessly inunique
>>
but lost highway is perfectly straight forward.
>>
>>84387000
>Am I crazy for enjoying uncertainty and confusion and chaos in a movie
Who gives a shit. Watch what you like, why do you care if other people like it? What kind of pleb are you?
>>
you're deranged
>>
WOW Anon, you're so much SMARTER and MORE SOPHISTICATED than them!
>>
I dunno, I think the movie holds it's card way to close to it's chest and leaves little to interperation, it's just there, this is what happened and it doesnt make alot of sense.

Beside Blake as the mystery man, there isnt alot of performances that carry the film either.

David Lynch is someone you either love or dont give two shits about, the bad thing is that Lynch fans hype his films and shows to hell and back and he never delivers on that hype.

And you're left with a solid case of blueballs. "That was it?"

As for myself, I've never liked the 90's soft bloom b movie look of his films, that carry over to even his more expensive productions, tonaly, they are inconsistent, which wheter or not it's intentional, leaves me just confused to what I am supposed to feel.

His work hasnt aged very well.
>>
File: 1467275071544.jpg (122KB, 470x608px) Image search: [Google]
1467275071544.jpg
122KB, 470x608px
>me? I prefer to have no fucking clue what's going on in a movie and why
The kicker is that you can't respect such a reasonable opinion. You have a complex OP.
>>
What were you hoping for op? Even Lynch fans are divided on Lost Highway, it's not my favorite.
When I show my friends films I just try to pick something they would like instead of what I like. I showed my normie friends Edge of Tomorrow, because I knew that is the kind of thing they would like. No point in trying to get them to watch Mulholland Drive, they probably would fall asleep.
>>
You were seeking approval of your interests from your friends. You didn't get it, so now you're seeking approval from anon. You won't get it here either. Just enjoy the things you enjoy and don't look to others for approval.
>>
>>84387000
lost highway is great but you're a complete retard, especially if you thought this pathetic humblebrag was going to get you positive responses
>>
>>84387178
I'm not sure I conveyed this point well enough so I'll try again. I genuinely don't care if they didn't like the film. No problem with that and, in fact, I anticipated the possibility that they wouldn't. I'm not trying to act like some smarter-than-thou patrician. I just thought the specific nature of the comments were ridiculous.
>>
File: mpv_2017-06-27_19-18-30.jpg (132KB, 995x973px) Image search: [Google]
mpv_2017-06-27_19-18-30.jpg
132KB, 995x973px
>>84387286
>I'm not trying to act like some smarter-than-thou patrician.
uh huh.
>>
>>84387000
Hm. Sorry this came off as bad as it did. I've just been having a difficult time enjoying much in movies and television lately and I'm not sure if it's just because I'm not watching them in the right mindset. I don't think the movie is perfect though and still respect alternative views of it.
>>
seriously consider the idea that you and your friends are idiots
>>
10 years ago i had endless fun trying to decipher this movie with friends. and we were not nerds or even smart
>>
>>84387000
Just show them the Lezzin out scene with Naomi Watts. Then they will be hooked.
>>
>>84387000
normies (and 90% of /tv/) can't into art. too narrow-minded, for the most part
>>
>>84387439
I had sort of the same experience with Akira, but I showed it to my friends expecting that they wouldnt have a reaction other than "What the fuck was that all about?"

To my suprise, they actually liked it even though none of them understood what the fuck was going on in the third act, but that's fair, I didnt understand it before a second viewing where I got a few details that's easy to miss in the first viewing.
>>
>>84387176
underrated
>>
File: Rick_and_morty_icon.png (35KB, 1073x834px) Image search: [Google]
Rick_and_morty_icon.png
35KB, 1073x834px
>>84387000
>Am I crazy for enjoying uncertainty and confusion and chaos in a movie? I feel like lately I have fallen out of love with conventional drama and storytelling and thought Lost Highway's hectic nature was pretty effective for the nature of the material
No, we're a legion, welcome to our twisted minds. Normal people scare me
>>
>>84387543
Yeah I suspected that I was really taking a risk by showing them Lost Highway. They enjoyed Blue Velvet and at the time I hadn't seen Mulholland Drive so I used LH to test whether I should just watch MD by myself or not.
>>
>>84387561
yeah, sarcasm... so fucking hilarious

>>/pol/
>>
>>84387630
Watch it by yourself so you can fap during it
>>
>>84387677
>Thinking you are going crazy because of a personal taste in arts
i had to mock (you) for that
>>
>>84387439
Lol it didn't even come off that bad, welcome to /tv/. The truth is so many movies and tv shows especially are just straight up incompetently made. I understand growing tired of conventional narratives, but they're still enjoyable when actually done right. Looks like it's time to start digging further down the film rabbit hole, have fun
>>
>>84387000
>expecting regular people to get or give a shit about your confusing artsy fartsy pile of shit

You're just plain dumb, son.

Personally I liked lost highway.
>>
>>84387000
It's a very easy movie to get. After he takes the sleeping pill in prison is the moment the dream starts. He dreams an alternate reality where he's a young guy cucking a mafia boss. Then he sneaks inside the dream to take his revenge over the guy who cucked him. And since he's fucked in the head he stays in that alternate reality until he fries on the electric chair.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.