[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of the TV celebrity phenomenon of "new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_8741.jpg (61KB, 750x560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8741.jpg
61KB, 750x560px
What do you think of the TV celebrity phenomenon of "new atheists".

>>Hitchens was born in Portsmouth, Hampshire, the elder of two boys.[8][9] His parents, Eric Ernest Hitchens (1909–1987) and Yvonne Jean Hitchens (née Hickman; 1921–1973), met in Scotland when both were serving in the Royal Navy during World War II.[10] Later in life, Hitchens identified as ethnically Jewish—since Judaism is matrilineal and his mother was Jewish.[11][12][13]

>Harris was born on April 9, 1967 in Los Angeles,[11] the son of actor Berkeley Harris and TV producer Susan Harris (née Spivak), who created The Golden Girls.[12] His father came from a Quaker background and his mother is a secular Jew.[13]

>Maher was born in New York City. His father, William Aloysius Maher, Jr.,[1] was a network news editor and radio announcer, and his mother, Julie (Berman) Maher, was a nurse.[2] He was raised in his Irish-American father's Roman Catholic religion. Until his early teens, he was unaware that his mother, whose family was from Hungary,[10] was Jewish.[11][12][13]
>>
Harris is easily the best and least fedora of the prominent new atheists.
>>
Gee I wonder what
>>
>>84371610
Denouncing religion includes shitting on Judaism, this thread is stupid
>>
Hi /pol/

Now he's going to get outraged I said he was from /pol/
>>
I genuinely feel pity for the /pol/ shills that waste their time shitposting here. I thought my life was sad and pathetic, but at least I know there's worse off people than me, that alone makes me feel better.
>>
didn't these guys get replaced by the alt-right 'intellectuals'
>>
Ignore all pseudo intellectual rhetoricians
>>
File: emma-234.jpg (183KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
emma-234.jpg
183KB, 1024x1024px
>>84371820
>alt-right 'intellectuals'
You'd think they could find SOMEONE.
>>
They're entertaining, but kind of like junk food. I always feel bad for people (like a profoundly deep sorrow and abject misery) when they say or think that reading Hitchens or Harris or Dawkins or whatever pop author flavor of the week shit is the final word or the best that philosophy has to offer. It's like a Michael Bay fan saying that they don't need to see any other films or that the films of Leni Riefenstahl or Jean-Luc Godard don't matter because we have Transformers 10.5 Redux in 75 mm film with orchestra and fighting robots in the theatre.

Don't worry before anyone says that sounds comfy...I think I'd rather be dead than see that film.

I know OP is trying to say something about Judaism and atheism and cultural Marxism and yada yada yada.
>>
>>84371610
Hitchens is (was) pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCHHfBeu0QE
>>
>>84371632
harris is the worst and talks in that autistic automaton tone.

hitchens was well read, a decent shit stirrer and had a fire in the belly. he was the best so of course died first.

maher is a retard.
>>
>putting Hitchens in with these other two retards

Such a shame that people now only think of Hitchens as an atheist polemic, he was a genuinely exceptional writer who did so much more interesting work in his time.
>>
>>84371632
Harris is by far the most palatable of the new atheists, they're all smug af imo tho
>>
>>84372946
Hitchens spoke with his emotions when he complained about christians doing it. Harris is at least authentic
>>
>>84372946
>hitchens was well read, a decent shit stirrer and had a fire in the belly. he was the best
This
>>
File: 1458662784527.jpg (266KB, 905x881px) Image search: [Google]
1458662784527.jpg
266KB, 905x881px
>>84371610
>spineless centipede Maher
>comparable to Harris and Hitchens

Go fuck yourself
>>
>>84372946
>i can only consume information in an entertainment context

Stop having a shit attention span
>>
>>84373753
Hitchens>Harris>>>Dawkins>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Maher

Dawkins is smug but at least he has knowledge to back it up. Maher is just smug rhetorical point smirk raise eyebrow rhetorical point.
>>
File: 1468551107836.png (198KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1468551107836.png
198KB, 500x500px
>>84371610
I can't wait until the new new atheist movement with people like Jordan Peterson and Stefan Molyneux, where they're atheists but see the value in Christian morality and moral objectivism
>>
>>84371610
Sam is too much of a pussy to matter. Hitch was based. Kike on the right doesn't even belong in the image.
>>
>>84372165
I like reading Harris. Who would you suggest I read instead? You better come back with something good you smug fuck
>>
>>84373949
jordan peterson isn't an atheist
>>
Maher
>Islam is dumb, but I don't like anyone who is proposing solutions.
Harris
>Islam is dumb, but I don't like anyone who is proposing solutions.
Hitchens
>LET'S INVADE IRAQ
>>
>>84373974
I don't think he believes in God. In his new series of lectures on the Bible he specifically looks for meaning outside of the purely spiritual realm. He says everyone who follows "Christian values" is a Christian, which is false.
>>
>>84373974
Wow dropped
>>
File: antisemitic luther.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
antisemitic luther.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
>>84371610
been saying this for months
>>
File: 1497641847997.png (14KB, 364x322px) Image search: [Google]
1497641847997.png
14KB, 364x322px
>>84371820
>alt-right intellectuals
>>
>>84373383
He did it to himself tbhf
>>
>>84373953
I mean if you like him that's fine. I'd recommend Kahl, Avalos, Badiou. That being said, Dennett, Harris, Hitchens, and Dawkins are the parlor room philosophers like that hack Zizek.
>>
>>84373974
He's not an "atheist" but my Christian mummy doesn't like him cuz he's a poster Christian
>>
>>84373949
>stefan molyneux
>understands moral objectivism
>lies, misrepresents the truth and gives a platform to the lies of others that suit his worldview in pursuit of appeasing a fanbase and cultivating a persona rather than actually caring about making the truth available

surely it's worse that he believes in moral absolutes yet happily contradicts them
>>
File: 1497373902155.jpg (33KB, 567x565px) Image search: [Google]
1497373902155.jpg
33KB, 567x565px
>>84374208
>>
>>84373949
Yeah I agree. Better dialogues that way. Now it's a circle jerk but it's still new
>>
since when is not buying into bronze age fairy tales considered a phenomenon?
>>
>>84374122
>That being said, Dennett, Harris, Hitchens, and Dawkins are the parlor room philosophers like that hack Zizek.
As opposed to ivory tower philosophers that have their heads so far up their asses that you need a PhD education to understand that they're basically saying nothing but obfuscating it well?
>>
>>84374233
are you a memer or a genuine supporter of this molyneux fella
>>
>>84371610
>Later in life, Hitchens identified as ethnically Jewish—since Judaism is matrilineal and his mother was Jewish.

This right here shows Christopher Hitchens up for what he was.

"Ethnically" speaking, the man is something like 1/32nd Jewish. His brother used to cringe at the idea of identifying as Jewish because of how irrelevant it was in their background.

Hitch was always a pro-multicultural internationalist, yet when it came to speaking about Jewishness, the man began to ascribe mystic metaphysical qualities to the Jews. It's fucking weird, just watch his interviews on youtube.

It's something he embraced as a consequence of having so many Jewish heroes, as well as realising it would help him out in the American publishing scene.
>>
>>84374078
That's why he used scare quotes ya fuck face
>>
>>84374350
>ascribe mystic metaphysical qualities to the Jews.
examples?
>>
>>84371610
Hitchen's was an eighth ethnically Jewish, regardless of whatever bullshit laws the religion has.
>>
>>84374051
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIh1xQiuI8

>>84374150
well you should tell her that Old Testament literalism is a relatively recent phenomenon in Christianity, and that the church fathers and theologians prior to the 19th century generally believed the OT stories to be artful metaphors.
>>
>>84374436
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nfbp4DPcfQ
>>
>>84373974
Jordan Peterson is a deist, if anything.
>>
File: 1468551043285.jpg (43KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
1468551043285.jpg
43KB, 425x282px
>>84374314
Half and half, I used to be really genuine but I've calmed down.

Now I just watch comedy podcasts and ignore the news entirely, but I use his podcast as autistic ASMR to help me sleep
>>
Atheism is so 2006
>>
>>84371610
That was a 00s thing.
>>
File: 1498535850489.png (41KB, 608x878px) Image search: [Google]
1498535850489.png
41KB, 608x878px
>All of my friends were raised religious
>They are now atheists as adult
>I was not raised religious
>I am now religious as an adult

SOMEBODY CALL FREUD
>>
>>84373872
I would mirror this if I had to rate them. Hitchens is for #1 though. Shame he's dead because it would've been hilarious to see him support Trump. Hitch despised the Clintons and he grew out of his kiddy commie beliefs in his twenties. Fucking hell though it would've been glorious to see him rip new assholes all day everyday during the primaries and eventual coronation of the biggest "fuck you" in history.
>>
>>84373383
People to this day still don't believe me when I tell them that Hitchens was pro-Iraq war.
>>
>>84374285
Well, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. You asked for authors. I suggested them. I won't spoon feed any further then.
>>
>>84371610
>Jews! Jews! JEWS!

Calm down Ahmed.
>>
>>84374596
I wasn't raised religious and am atheist.
>>
>>84375445
And he later renigged on it and said it was a mistake.
Admitting when you feel youve made a mistake is a good quality in a man
>>
>>84371610
Judaism the religion is matrilineal not the ethnicity. Hitchens was an idiot.
>>
>>84375445
Hitchens was full on Bush supporting neocon near the end of his life which was strange since he always identified as a marxist.
>>
>>84371610
I find amazing that in CURRENT YEAR being an atheist can make you part of a "phenomenon" in a western country.

In my country no one gives a shit about what you believe or not. I couldn't tell you if I'm surrounded by atheist or christians in my daily live outside my closest family.
>>
>>84375786
>And he later renigged on it and said it was a mistake.

Not exactly. He said it was poorly planned and turned into a clusterfuck but BTFOing Saddam and killing Islamists was still the right thing to do.
>>
>>84371610

Reminder that modern "liberals" hate these guys.
>>
>>84373974
basic shit people cmon
>>
>>84371610
Am I the only one who thinks that Harris is a bluff?

I listen his podcast from time to time and as soon as a guest challenges his opinions he either refuses debate or comes with incredibly poor arguments.

Last week he interviewed Fareed Zakaria and it was shocking how little he challenged the guy aon ideas completely incompatible with his views of islam.
>>
>>84375799
Trotskyist specifically, and that's actually not that weird. Neoconservatism was created by former Trots like Christopher Hitchens when they realized their stateless, anti-racist egalitarian utopia wasn't actually getting anywhere by trying to motivate the worker and the downtrodden. Peter was the one who made the turnabout by going full M O R A L I T Y
>>
>>84376149
I think he's trying to look more calm, less aggressive. He's been called jingoist (rightly so imo), warmonger, islamophobic, etc, etc.

Also his tone of voice and rhythm is a cure for insomnia and doesn't help him imo .
>>
>>84376534
Rightly so? Care to back that up? I've seen him endlessly accused of jingoism, but never have I read or listened to a jingoist sentence from Harris.
>>
>>84376581
All his world view is based in the assumption of America as a benign overlord.

He repeatedly uses the term " benign superpower " facing terrorism, ignoring that there're plenty of reports showing that America supports terrorists when they are aligned with their interests.

He doesn't acknowledge that a big part of the current problems come from the free meddling of Israel and USA in the Middle East during the last 20 years and advocates for more intervention.

He thinks that the only reason why Europeans haven't declared WWIII is because USA is here to keep them safe and be a judge in their disputes...

Overall he has a very childish, simplistic and black and white view of the foreign policy that is incompatible with the image of wise, intelligent and influential person he's trying to create.
>>
>>84377171
I said back it up, not set up a strawman to tear down. A quote. Give me a quote that justifies what you just wrote.
>>
>>84377194

I'm not quoting you shit idiot, do your homework.

Listen his podcast with Anne applebaum or the one called "trump the world" or something like that, where he makes those arguments point by point repeatedly.

And uses the term benign superpower, repeatedly, as a base for his arguments.
>>
>>84376534
Could be. The guy has lost his edge since the Ben-al-Afflecki vid.

He's apparently obsessed with Trump. Which is kind of funny because as bad as Trump is they don't think very differently when it comes to Islam and Harris is cashing on that issue as much as he can.
>>
>>84371610
Hitchens was a great writer, journalist, thinker, and also a atheist. He was a funny guy too who loved to argue and was exceptional at it.

Maher is a court jester. A funny one, but that's all.

Harris craves for fame whatever the cost is... atheism, meditation, the solution to the Islamic problem, self-help, phone apps, food purity... He tasted a sip of fame in Maher's show and he would kill for another taste of it.
>>
>>84375799
He pretty much identified the baaf party as a continuation of the nazi idiology, but with modern weaponry and no restrains in the use of chemical weapons.
>>
>>84374596
atheism is literally and unironically a rebellious, teenage thing.

once you grow up and see shit in the world, independent of your upbringing, you start acknowledging the trascendental nature of life.
>>
>>84374596
>>
>>84371727
Nope. Denouncing religion is chiefly about shitting on Christianity and nothing else.

Also, Hitchens overdid it and shit on Obama. He died shortly after (accident, then hospital, then dead) and nobody knows why.
>>
>Big Boys of English Speaking academia
>Singer
The philosophical equivalent of Judge Judy, Singer's self-contradictory pap ("abortion and infanticide are acceptable because these immature humans are incapable or rational preference" vs. "rationality is not a requirement for ethical conduct. Any irrational being will avoid pain, which is why cruelty to animals is unethical", which are flatly contradictory positions). Makes money by writing books that tell Liberals 'doing what you want is A-OK"
A buffoon.
>Chomsky
A decent linguist, his work in every other field is no more (or less) than self-serving rent seeking which he publicly admits that he, himself, does not believe.
Darn good at making a buck of gullible college students, but (unless you are speaking of linguistics, where he is very good) not a big academic.
>Dawkins
A mediocre-at-best scientist who will leave exactly zero mark on actual science, he became popular as a writer of PopSci books. When that income source dried up (because his theories were soundly thrashed by scientists) he switched to a series of popular books trashing what he thinks religious people might believe.
Never was a great thinker, never will be.
>Rorty
A man who counted on his readers having never heard of Gorgias, Rorty took facile rhetoric, relabeled it neopragmatism, and sold it like snake oil.
>Chalmers
About time an actual academic appeared. although, to be fair, while he does a fine job of reminding everyone of the hard problem, he has no answers. Which is no one's fault.
>Dennett
Refuses to use proper terms, mainly to hide that, deep down, he he knows any clear statement of his theories leads to eye-rolling
Not a serious academic.
This list is a list of "People that stupid people think are smart"
>>
I am a devout Christian. I have no choice but to love them ans treat them as my brothers.
>>
>>84377922
>Hitchens
>great thinker
pick one and only one. None of his arguments for atheism are smart or deep in any meaningful away
>>
>>84378800
>Denouncing religion is chiefly about shitting on Christianity and nothing else

Confirmed for never having watched Maher before. Dude hates Islam with a passion
>>
File: rat.jpg (38KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
rat.jpg
38KB, 600x600px
we know what similarity they have
>>
>>84379104
Cuck mentality.
>>
>>84378800
Maher, Hitchens and Harris shat on Islam all the time.
>>
File: stiahnuť.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
stiahnuť.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>>84371610
>watching pseudo intellectual fedora tippers in 2017
>>
File: C7DRogiWwAEXgT6.jpg (119KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
C7DRogiWwAEXgT6.jpg
119KB, 1200x800px
>>84380264
Pic related, I assume
>>
>>84378800
>and nobody knows why.
what are you even talking about you fucking retard
>>
>>84380011
I know not being a hate filled asshole. Sad
>>
>>84382946
>>84382946
That's because you're a shitty low life. You're no Christian if you side with laughable scum. Both them and their beliefs is laughable. You see Conscientious Christians are not allowed to fight off these low life scum. Because the Jew isn't interested in rebuttals only self affirming echo chambers.
>>
>>84379256
You don't need smart arguments, it's enough to point the stupid nonsense the Bible if filled with.
>>
Atheism is nothing more than a heresy of Pharisaism.
>>
Does anyone remember when new atheism was a huge things like 10 years ago and then they started to turn to Islam and then it basically vanished?

Really kneeds my dough
>>
In 2007 this kind of atheism was exactly the kind of counter-culture edginess that 4chan loved. In 2017 alt-right white identitarianism has taken its place as the niche contrarian position.

At least we know this is just a phase that we'll all look back on and laugh at.
>>
Harris compares Trump to Hitler more than antifa does

and unironically thinks he'll do a reichstag fire to seize more power
>>
>>84378089
It's easy to fall into as a youth that's for sure. It's been filled with relativism. It needs an IQ threshold. Most of them are low IQ wonks now and hence we get more relativism. Look at how they wrap themselves with degeneracy like Islam or faggotry. They're a used car salesman trying to sell an Edsel to the rest of the populace. Thanks for the piece of shit atheists.
>>
>>84371610
Harris is the only slightly tolerable one. Maher and Hitchens are cunts
>>
>>84384873
Harris is extremely anti-trump and proudly compares him to hitler
>>
>>84384905
Ridiculous comparison. Trump isn't 1/100th as competent or effective as Hitler was.
>>
>>84371610

Hitchens was the best of them. He didn't really give a fuck about anyone's feelings, probably because he was drunk all the time.

Maher is just an angry turd, but working to his credit are his call for people to question given knowledge and his persistence on pointing out that current terrorism is predominantly muslim.

Harris has a few good ideas. But he follows a philosophy of pure rationalism and doesn't seem to understand how people think despite being a fucking neuroscientist. Also, he's either naïve or ill-intentioned given his stances on government and how he seems to think the US is looking out for everyone and how he downplays any role Israel plays in the instability of the middle east.
>>
>>84373953

I recommend you read papers by Martha Farah, Eleanor Rosch, Antonio Damasio and Victor Gallese to get a feel of how backwards Harris' stances on cognition and thought are.
>>
>>84374922
It'd be interesting to see how far he went with supporting Trump. I think he would've loved Pussy Grabbing for instance, but might not have actually supported him as more than the lesser of two evils.
>>
>>84378852

Chomsky made some great contributions to linguistics (mostly in creating mechanisms for syntactic analysis), but most of his ideas have fallen by the wayside. No one who has done any research on cognition buys the modular, innate, expression of thought view of generativists anymore.
>>
>>84385117
Harris is 100% sure of the opposite.
>>
>>84379351
he's a kike
>>
>>84374475
Not really. He recognises the fact that Judaism flirts with the idea of 'specialness', he's always been very aware since the revelation that his mother was jewish.

He's also stated that the main Jewish contribution to society has been towards secular and philosophical dividends.
>>
>>84374475

>that hair

JUST shave it already. Jesus.
>>
Maher and Harris don't hold a candle to Hitchens. It's a shame he's roped in with the athiest 'fedora tippers' because whilst he was known in his later years as public intellectual/vocal anti-theist, he is still one of the best essayists and writers since Montaigne.

Seriously, his writing is sublime. I still listen to his audiobooks on long car trips.
>>
>>84385117
He likely would've been mostly about purging the west of Islam by fire. Deus Vult if necessary and contrary to his previous work. Judging by his Iraq War stance he seemed to be in social circles so knew what was/would be going on possibly. Foreshadowing I suppose.
>>
>>84385412
>ever grouping Hitchens with Montaigne
Get out you fucking mongoloid.
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.