[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> great screenplay > great acting > great new characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

File: Alien3_poster.jpg (53KB, 283x412px) Image search: [Google]
Alien3_poster.jpg
53KB, 283x412px
> great screenplay
> great acting
> great new characters
> great directing
> great world building
> great action
> great climax

Why do we hate this kino again?
>>
none of that is great

the best element is the one you didn't even fucking mention, which is the score
>>
>>84292361
The most underrated kino of all time.
>>
>>84292361
Most people haven't seen or even heard of the assembly cut. They've only seen the theatrical cut and the theatrical cut is a mess.
>>
>>84292514
the assembly cut is a meme

it really doesn't matter which version you watch, they're all mediocre
>>
>>84292573
The assembly cut fills in plotholes, adds a lot of character development, and cuts out stupid shit like the queen xenomorph bursting out of Ripley's chest while she's falling to her death. It's objectively a better film than the theatrical cut.
>>
I watched it on a whim, and based on what I've read, I got the assembly cut, and it was pretty good, didn't grab me as much as 1 and 2, but was still pretty cool.
>>
>>84292361

based Fincher kino
>>
>>84292573
If it's a meme then it's a criminally underrated meme. It seems like only a handful of people on here talk about it, the rest of the world doesn't care about it even though it's far better than the theatrical cut.
>>
>>84293239
Does the xenomorph come out of an ox or a dog?

Ox = assembly cut

Dog = theatrical cut
>>
File: Denis_Villeneuve_Cannes_2015.jpg (16KB, 220x310px) Image search: [Google]
Denis_Villeneuve_Cannes_2015.jpg
16KB, 220x310px
>>84293538

TFW you accidentally, serendipitously managed to avoid the theatrical cut and watched the assembly cut and thought the film was based.
>>
The only thing I really hated about it was the romance they shoved in between Ripley and Charles Dance's character.
>>
>>84292361
We usually don't, normies do.
>>
>>84293720
There was no romance. There was an understanding between them and he had a nice back story. He understood she was hiding something from him and she understood that he knew that. Also they killed him off quickly enough before it got that far. The Alien series (well the good ones at least) tend to play on lost hope and depressing themes. Like killing off Newt and Hicks. It was meant to give you a kick in the nuts after the feel good ending of Aliens. I actually like Alien3 it has a really nice atmosphere. The sound design and soundtrack is pretty good too (those echoes around the place were pretty spoopy). My favorite character was Big Bubba the rapist.
>>
>>84293948
You're a normie, like everyone else here, except the pedos... you just don't have any friends.
>>
>>84292361
this movie was boring, way too long, and pointless.

and yes, i watched the assembly cut.
>>
>We will never see Vincent Ward's superior version of Alien 3

https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/wooden-world-vincent-wards-alien-iii/
>>
>>84294214
>rapist

can they even do anything this bold in films these days without triggering feministsfrequency or some shit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4aZQvmWO_M
>>
>>84295003
There was another guy in the film with the tear drop on his face who actually tries to rape her too
>>
>turn Ripley into an easy whore
>y dis bad??

kys
>>
3 was much, MUCH better than 4
I don't see how anyone could enjoy 4 honestly
>>
>>84293043

The film actually suffers for not showing the queen pop out. It actually is better to have the "gratification" on this point.

Furthermore, the assembly cut serves to make most characters even /less/ likeable exactly because we spend even more time with what were already unlikeable, unrelatable characters. Dillon is revealed more thoroughly as a cynic who only cares about maintaining his little waiting-place and with lack of concern for the rest of humanity, which shows his convict side above his purported Christianity. Aaron is more thorougly sketched out as being the stupid man that he is, and even if Andrews actually, literally did nothing wrong (a popular claim which is rarely actually true of a given character, but is in his case) that still doesn't make it pleasant to spend more time with him in his office. Golic is also more thorougly shown as a sniveling little fuck.

That said, I will allow that assembly is much more coherent, and does have an attractive "abbatoir" set. But it is still a much inferior film to Aliens, mostly because its characters are stupid, violent criminals, even whose law-abiding minders are themselves stupid. It's not "the point", it's no sort of testament to the human condition, or anything like that. It's just a chore to be with these awful people.

The first two films depict working people who have some sort of competence and value in life, even if they make mistakes. This goes a long way toward making us care about the characters and their story. This is what is wholly absent from the third film.
>>
It's a great fucking movie. Even the theatrical cut is good. People don't like it because of the dreary nature. But it goes right back to the OG film and has Ripley, who's lost everything (her crew (twice), her daughter (twice), her trust in anyone she comes in contact with) just accept her the fate she's been dealt with this creature that follows her everywhere she fucking goes. I really love this scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmF_IO6Aiag
>>
>>84295359
There is a lot of underlying biblical themes too with the "dragon" and the prophecy the convicts have.
>>
>>84295321
But that's why it works. These are bad bad men. So bad in fact they've been left on this fucking desolate planet and talked themselves into AA-levels of higher power to convince themselves they're eternally repairing their natures. Why does it have to have a Dallas or a Hicks or a Hudson? It doesn't, because the world doesn't exist or work like that. Ripley is that person, and she's alone, and it fleshes out that she's always been alone, because she's the only one that continues to survive her encounters with this awful beast, which is the only character that is actually worse than these shithead inmates.
>>
>>84292361
I fell for the "Alien 3 is actually good" meme and watched the Assembly cut. Nope, it's shit. It seems like they're trying to go back to the scarier, more bleak vibe of Alien as opposed to the action-movie scale of Aliens, but they fuck it up entirely. Alien worked well because it's a small group of well-realized characters facing an unknown threat. In Alien 3 it's a huge mass of goons, literally two of whom get any characterization, facing a badly-greenscreened puppet running around a big, bland looking set. The best part was when the alien kills Charles Dance, but then I realized there were only Ripley and Dillon left as far as characters to give any kind of shit about. Then at the end, Dillon's death scene is laughable. He's getting mauled to death by this evil monster we've seen slaughter multiple other characters quickly and instantly, but somehow it's just lying on top of him clawing at him while he goes "Fuck you motherfucker! Aaahhh! Come and get it! Motherfucker! Aaaah! Take that!" for like a minute. It's the least scary portrayal of a xenomorph I've ever seen.
>>
>>84294516
you need action and jokes to feel happy, kid?
>>
>>84295226
She was a whore in Resurrection, here she is just broken.
>>
File: AlienResurrection.jpg (27KB, 275x425px) Image search: [Google]
AlienResurrection.jpg
27KB, 275x425px
>>84292361
>Hicks and Newt killed off screen
>retarded Xeno design
>comes out of a dog in the theatrical cut a fucking dog
>dyke sigourney
>shit cinematography
>boring kills
>horrendous puppet xeno that looks like shitty CGI (how that's possible I'm not sure)
I'd rather watch Alien Resurrection at least I can laugh at that
>>
File: bitch.jpg (37KB, 613x380px) Image search: [Google]
bitch.jpg
37KB, 613x380px
>>84295226
>turn Ripley into an easy whore

yeah, unbelievable
>>
>>84299055

>shit taste.The post.

James Rolfe, it's that you?
>>
>>84299348
shit response: the anon
>>
>>84295607
The problem is, if you were born i the last 25 years or so you know exactly what this uknown creature is, how it looks, and what it does just from popculture before even watching the 1st movie.

For that reason alone the 1st Alien currently is a boring slog to get throught. 3 is a more interesting movie to watch having that in mind.
>>
>>84299387
wow, you win.
>>
>>84295528

So much this. Its a completely different Alien movie, which the 2nd managed to do from the first. Plebs just wanted another Aliens, but instead got some true kino they werent ready for. I think Alien 3 has aged like fine wine and the Assembly Cut is God Tier.... I'd be willing to be...close to Aliens level of kino

FITE ME
>>
I honestly wish Scott would come out and call it canon. It's a fucking PERFECT ending to the series. End of the Ripley arc, end of the alien arc (as far as we know). PERFECT ending song. Fuck, you even get that beautiful but eerie replay of the voice log that carried over from the original Alien. It ends perfectly. Resurrection was a slap in the face.
>>
>>84300057

For the life of me, I will never be able to understand why people even like Aliens today and still regard it as an iconic film. It's dripping with Cameron-tier trademark soppy sentimentality and by-the-numbers action pieces. What's even worse, it's riddled with a bunch of annoying marines who say the dumbest shit and the token hispanic dyke who yells "pendejo" "estupido" every 10 minutes.

Fuck. Me.
>>
>>84300271
I love Aliens, I just hate the change of the nature of the creature itself. Less so that they actually began behaving like bugs, but he butchered Giger's design so much. Here you have a bunch of meathead tough guy marines and you don't even bother to keep the creepy phallic imagery going.
>>
File: v3RG63Y.jpg (1020KB, 5134x2884px) Image search: [Google]
v3RG63Y.jpg
1020KB, 5134x2884px
>>84300436

Honestly, the whole "soldiers going up against an alien force" thing was done much better in Predator.
>>
Alien > Aliens = Alien 3 >>>> AvP1 > Alien: Resurrection > AvP2
I fucking hate most of this franchise I love
>>
File: arnie.jpg (120KB, 634x840px) Image search: [Google]
arnie.jpg
120KB, 634x840px
>>84300499
dubs of truth
>>
>>84292361
the movies main problem is its incoherent
you have to watch it a few times, or read its wiki if you want to understand the convoluted plot.
>>
>>84300640
You are a retard
>>
>>84300887
yeah right faggot, bet you don't even know how the alien got into the prison, don't bother to tell me because i know you googled
>>
>>84301097

A facehugger impregnated an ox and the ox was brought into the prison to be butchered.
>>
>>84300436
>He butchered Giger so much
The costumes had domes but they were expensive and Cameron was afraid they'd break.
>>
>>84300257
>Scott calling it canon

All Alien films except AVP stuff are canon.
>>
>>84292361
cuz it sucked
>>
>>84301536
>Cameron
>worried about expenses
I call malarky. Cameron being a draftsman and designer himself probably just wanted his own "brand" of the alien.
>>84301582
Nah, I think he said only 1 & 2 are.
>>
The definitive pleb filter.
>>
>>84300436
the skull inside the alien head always looked stupid and very generic horror movie-esque
>>
>>84302401
>I call malarky
He said he had the domes but felt they would break. I'll need to find the sauce but it's been posted in those countless "Aliens isn't canon because I love the Directors cut of the first" threads.

I believe it because if you look closely at the "warrior xeno" heads you can see the point in which the dome was attached. All that junk underneath was probably supposed to be barely visible like the "skull" in the first.
>>
>>84295245
>Xeno swimming scene
>>
>>84302619
literally the ONLY good part of the movie
>>
>>84299055

all this

plus no scifi (other than the xeno itself) and no weapons
>>
>>84302676

>xenos killing their own to escape scene
>ripley clone chamber scene
>qt winona bot
>>
The chase scene in the furnace tunnels is way too long and the theatrical ending is better.
>>
>>84302676
Nah, there is more to be had, for the record I am that same anon.
>The creepy clone room with the failed Ripley abomination
>Ripley being chauffeured by xenos in a weirdly erotic scene
>xenos killing their buddy so the acid melt the floor

Sure, there is very little to enjoy but that doesn't mean there is just the one scene.

p.s I enjoyed the Newborn scenes.
>>
File: dog.png (352KB, 395x346px) Image search: [Google]
dog.png
352KB, 395x346px
>>84292514
Pretty much anybody who's seen it these days has watched the Assembly cut.
>>
>>84299485
Of course I know what it looks like. But everyone already knew what great white sharks looked like, and Jaws still worked. The first Alien still holds up for reasons I already listed. The story and script do a great job building up the sense of isolation, the characters feel like real people, and the set design looks both beautiful and ominous. Even Ripley works better as a character than she ever would again, because she emerges organically as the final survivor rather than being the obvious heroine/protagonist. Alien 3 just doesn't deliver on any of those fronts. The setting is generic, like they filmed it in some warehouses that were available. Pretty much every character is thinly sketched, archetypal cannon fodder except Ripley, whose believability as a hero is stretched to the breaking point with the whole mythological angle. She was the pragmatist who ultimately survives in the first film, but here she's defined entirely by her relationship to the xenomorph, purely by virtue of having survived it through previous two films. And the xenomorph being visible wouldn't even be a problem if it didn't look like a shitty special effect most of the time. Say what you will about Resurrection, but the aliens themselves looked way better than they did in 3. And as far as inventive new designs go, "creepy human-alien hybrid" is way bolder and more effective than "quadripedal alien that runs around".
>>
>>84303430
>4 is better, because it has better effects

Kill yourself
>>
>>84302472

Agreed. The sincere defense of Alien^3 is the surest proof of the defender as plebian.

>>84302676

"The PS1 graphics more blatantly used in this one bit because muh Donkey Kong Country Underwater World etc are the only good part of the movie. even though DKC is not a PS1 game." Kill yourself my man.
>>
>>84305735
>The PS1 graphics more blatantly used in this one bit because muh Donkey Kong Country Underwater World etc are the only good part of the movie. even though DKC is not a PS1 game.
in what retarded world do you live in that you think this is a good analogy
>>
>>84305851

The film was released in the mid-late 90s. Things happening in the mid-late 90s included the PS1, and Donkey Kong Country, which latter included typical platformer underwater levels, just rendered a bit better.

4chan uses "PS1 graphics" as an epithet to describe naive computer graphics of this period. The joining of the two metaphors thus makes sense if you're me, and if you're not me, or if you don't understand me, then you're at fault.

The larger rhetorical point is to indicate that the above anon was fucking stupid to hold up one of the worst bits of the entire movie as one of its best bits. I succeeded to make this point, you're just dumb.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.