[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why does Avatar feel so irrelevant despite being one of the highest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4147.jpg (19KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4147.jpg
19KB, 200x300px
why does Avatar feel so irrelevant despite being one of the highest grossing movies ever?

stuff like star wars and the matrix had a lasting presence where it was talked about, referenced and parodied even when a new film wasn't around the corner. Sci-fi movies like terminator and Alien have a hardcore fanbase that analyze every aspect of the films and discuss it to no end.

you see these other movies with video games, books, toys and graphic novels with deep lore and nerds ranting and raving about them.

but avatar gets none of this.

why?
>>
i can't remember if avatar ushered in the short lived return of 3d or if it was released at the pinnacle. either way that's all it was. it was a gimmick movie hyped up by the 3d. it wasn't so much about the movie as it was about the experience
>>
>>84221582
I feel like you could say that about Cameron in general. His movies are competently made and appeal to the largest common denominator, but are forgettable flicks overall.
>>
the selling point was the graphics and graphics always age like milk

it was fucking amazing when it came out but even by the next year on dvd it started to look stale
>>
>>84221582
there was nothing unique about it. all the movies you mentioned had unique storylines and universes that people enjoyed.
avatar was just a shitty cgi rehash of pocahontas that normies like because of graphics and muh 3D
>>
>>84221582
>irrelevant

8 years later threads are still being made about it

the film was sick and i await the sequels fuck the haters! long live cameron
>>
>>84221582
Because much of what it changed is entirely invisible to most people. Like the new Episodes 1-3, it was not a traditional movie, but a commercial for production technology aimed at producers.
>>
>>84221980
I actually liked the narrative it portrayed specially with being one with the earth and looking after our planet
>>
>>84221869
>Terminator
>Terminator 2
>Aliens
>>
File: AVATAR VIDEO GAME.jpg (57KB, 256x320px) Image search: [Google]
57KB, 256x320px
What exactly do you need? It popularized 3D for a new generation, it has a theme park attractions at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts worldwide, an original stage production by the Montreal-based Cirque du Soleil, a soundtrack album which did decent business, and a video game that sold about 2.7 million copies.
>>
honestly i like the creatures and the final fight.
>>
>>84221908
This time we're getting high frame rates and underwater capture performances. I wonder if we'll get something new each film and, if so, where we'll end up by time it's all over.
>>
>>84224173
By the end we will become the avatar
>>
File: IMG_1510.jpg (452KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1510.jpg
452KB, 2048x1365px
>>
File: 1478966331662.jpg (2MB, 3840x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1478966331662.jpg
2MB, 3840x2560px
>>84221582
>you see these other movies with video games, books, toys and graphic novels with deep lore and nerds ranting and raving about them.
>but avatar gets none of this.

it doesn't have anything to help it achieve this such as history or depth

Marvel/DC: decades of history with comic books and tv shows and a bunch of pre-Disney/MCU era movies, massive amount of inertia here that is unmatched by any other franchises

Transformers: biggest toy of the 80s, popular tv show, maintained a good level of popularity through the 90s, movies started coming out when the 80s crowd was having kids of their own so the timing was just perfect to continue the legacy

Star Wars: just consider episode 4 alone, there is so much depth to its setting. all the different aliens, an entire galaxy of planets, the cool ships. it had massive potential to build on whereas Avatar is just humans and blue cat-faced humans on a single jungle planet battling for resources. Episode 4 also had a much better adventure/discovery aspect to it.

Avatar's characters were also kinda boring, they didn't have any cool things like superheroes, shape shifting robots, Han Solo, or xenomorphs. Just humans and primitive blue hippies.
>>
>>84224493
forgot to add that the main benefit of Avatar was that it was a spectacle, it seems like it was made to experience the 3D gimmick

the sequels will be profitable I'm sure but won't come close to what Avatar 1 pulled in, 3D just isn't a big deal anymore
>>
>>84221582
Because it's a weak film
>>
>>84221582
because james cameron is not an asshole that shoves the movie up your ass with merchandising
>>
>>84221869
Titanic is one of the most iconic movies of the last 3 decades.
>>
Generic story, good visuals.
Problem with CG is, eventually the technology catches up and what was amazing for the time, is just par now. It no longer stands out.
>>
>>84221869
Every bitch I know regularly quotes titanic.
>>
Cameron should have spent the last eight years expanding the universe of Avatar with video games and such. Nothing excessive. Just a little something to sustain a fiercely dedicated fanbase.
>>
Because it has no real plot. It's just Dances With Wolves in space. It had nothing new or interesting to say, it was just visual eye-candy. Like a theme-park more than a movie.
>>
Avatar was such a fucking stupid goddamn movie
>>
>>84221869
>Terminator
>Aliens
>Terminator 2: Judgment Day
>fucking Titanic
>>
I haven't seen Avatar, should I?
>>
The draw of this movie was making people wish they could live in the beautiful perfect world of nature they created, wearing loincloths, sleeping in hammocks, riding creatures and drinking water from giant flowers. If you don't care about any of that shit, like most on this website probably don't because we like our computers, then Avatar has little offer other than the fact that it looks neat.
>>
>>84221582
Because it's gimmicky and shitty?

>space hippies vs da ebil anti-environmentalist humans
>le magical forces of nature save the day

Woah hella f*ckin epic brahs!
>>
File: DSC_7311.jpg (2MB, 2992x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7311.jpg
2MB, 2992x2000px
>tfw you actually go to pandora
>>
>>84221582
because of the hype. it wasn't a bad film but it was true lies-tier, not T2 or Titanic-tier as it was hyped. plus it was a family film and those type films still did great during the economic collapse just like Shirley temple films did for the great depression. it was the perfect escape film for the whole family but it was cringy as fuck and Cameron is fucking delusional making sequels to it. nobody cares qbout fagatar anymore. the world is a shittier place now. that's why all these kids movies are bombing in theaters now. parents just use koda because theaters are fucking passe and a hassle to go to now. only amusement parks, festivals and live concerts are worth attending now.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.