[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished watching this movie with my nephew. How the fuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: speed_racer-1.jpg (233KB, 1013x1500px) Image search: [Google]
speed_racer-1.jpg
233KB, 1013x1500px
Just finished watching this movie with my nephew. How the fuck did it fucking get panned? I went in for a children's movie and somehow came out thoroughly entertained, How the fuck is it that nobody talks about it. Never takes itself seriously and yet manages to pack a nuclear missile's worth of emotional impact in the last 10 minutes alone! How does this movie get no love!?
>>
>>84212095
It's too cartoony.

I'm serious, that's why it got panned.

A movie BASED ON A FUCKING ANIME is too cartoony.
>>
>>84212095
My favorite movie from The Wachowskis
>>
>>84212095
I wish more movie had the color palette this one does, especially superhero movies
>>
File: armondwhite.jpg (22KB, 300x279px) Image search: [Google]
armondwhite.jpg
22KB, 300x279px
>The Wachowski Brothers’ Speed Racer comes in Tootsie Pop colors with gobbledygook at its center. (Call it The Matrix IV.) When teenage car enthusiast Speed Racer himself (Emile Hirsch) gushes that “Racing hasn’t changed, and it never will!” or his he-man idol Racer X (Matthew Fox) advises, “You don’t jump into a QB8 to become a driver, you do it because you’re driven!” it recalls the pseudo-philosophy of The Matrix—only this time combining the kids and college student demographic. Nostalgia for the pre-anime ’70s TV-cartoon series locks audiences into perpetual cultural regression.

>Has TV won? Speed Racer kills cinema with its over-reliance on the latest special effects, flattening drama and comedy into stiff dialogue and blurry action sequences. It really is like watching the world’s biggest HD television screen—not the visionary advance of Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey, Bertolucci’s The Conformist or Altman’s McCabe & Mrs. Miller. If today’s filmgoers even know those landmarks, the Wachowskis and the hype machine they command have facilitated the shift away from cinema to digital-video; this film’s probable success will confirm whether cinema values survive amidst kiddie-consumer glee.
>>
>>84213924
Fucking BASED! The Wachowski brothers are hacks, fuck the plebs who say Speed Racer is good.
>>
>>84213924

>To be dazzled by Speed Racer’s look is to be an ADD consumer. It has Thunderbird’s yellows; Cat in the Hat’s storybook skies; the synthetic surfaces of The Incredibles; Dick Tracy’s artificial color fields; the unreal, mechanical brightness of Pixar’s Cars; and the extravagance of the last three Star Wars prequels. None of this over-stimulation rivals the robust human touch of Joseph Kahn’s underrated Torque. These intensely unnatural colors don’t refer to fantasy (like Jacques Demy’s hyper-romantic The Umbrellas of Cherbourg); they merely reiterate TV-cartoon artificiality. Watching the actors declaim before green-screen backgrounds recalls that Matrix sense of humans lost in an altered dimension. Some race scenes look like pinball, others like video games—including the speed lines, heat vapors and blurred-time effects from comic books.

>This state-of-the-art surface has no matching radical form; at two hours plus, its overlong whimsy drowns out the hollow boosterism about racing and family tradition. There’s a slap-happy fight scene between Speed’s clan and clownish British villains. A drag strip competition devoid of morality or spirituality becomes just cold ambition—Speed seeking celebrityhood. Over all, there’s the drab, sinking feeling of Matrix 3—that the Wachowskis’ lame, expensive imaginings have played out. The only truly clever designs are the zoetrope zebras on side panels of the Grand Prix track, followed by cars leaping off the track like flying fish. Most of these kaleidoscopic images are not fantastic; they merely represent the dizzying spin of capitalism.
>>
Because it was too sincere. It came out at a time when dark and gritty was the flavor of the day and this completely bucked the trend. It was bright, optimistic, family based, and not afraid to laugh at itself and so critics hated it.
>>
>>84212095
Honestly the last good movie the Wachowskis will ever make. And it's completely good on its own as well.
>>
>>84213953
>brothers
Time to hit up jewgle.
>>
>>84213924
>>84213960
>getting your film opinions from another persons film opinion
>>
>>84212095
It was alright
>>
File: 1497011104412[1].png (65KB, 554x400px) Image search: [Google]
1497011104412[1].png
65KB, 554x400px
>>84212095
because

MUH SOURCE MATERIAL
>>
File: mildassault.jpg (14KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
mildassault.jpg
14KB, 500x313px
>>84214780
>it was too sincere
yeah, too sincere. that's what was wrong
>>
>>84212095
Yeah it was legitimately a great movie.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.