[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The 10 episode season format is the main culprit of shitty season

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: BRAVO HAWLEY.png (512KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
BRAVO HAWLEY.png
512KB, 1280x640px
The 10 episode season format is the main culprit of shitty season wrappings in current television, it's too short to develop things properly. Prove me wrong.
>protip: you can't
>>
10 episodes is more than enough. Blame shitty writers
>>
>>84200579
Even the best shows end up in unsatisfying ways and leave you howling at the moon, waiting for the following season in the following year. With Fargo it's worse because there's no continuity due to it being an anthology series.
Compare that with proper shows like Miami Vice which used to have like 25 episodes per season.
>>
>>84200445
>>84200950
You're wrong

What happened was when we entered this new (((golden age))) of television, everyone just started writing 8, 10 or 13 hour stories instead of single, satisfying episodes.

Think about how Mad Men could progress the season arc invisibly whilst telling a single 50 minute story. Now most showrunners don't even bother to wrap up a season satisfyingly, because why the fuck would you when (a) you don't give a fuck about it episode to episode and (b) everyone will come back for more next season anyway
>>
>>84201474
Well, binge watching enabled by Nextflix is to blame too. But with most modern shows I feel cheated most of the time.
The only satisfactory one seems to be Better Call Saul despite the cliffhangers.
>>
>>84200445
youre wrong as shit, see seasons 1 and 2

season 1 would have benefited from being 1 or 2 episodes shorter desu
>>
>>84201729
That's just because it's really well made, so it's still enjoyable to watch, but it's the same as Breaking Bad where sometimes nothing gets resolved after an entire hour, but it ends on a cliffhanger making you want to watch the next episode

It also makes rewatching shitty, because the cliffhangers don't work anymore, contrast with Mad Men and Sopranos which are infinitely rewatchable
>>
>>84201864
Actually shit gets resolved and happens all the time despite what the brainlet memesters say.
>>
>>84201729
Literally superior to Breaking Bad
>>
>>84201925
Not in the course of a single episode, the season two tape cliffhanger in BCS isn't resolved until halfway through the next season, which is fine in and of itself, there's no "right" way to do a television show, however it's emblematic of the types of problems that OP is talking about, such as unsatisfying season endings.
>>
>>84200445
Depends on the network, how long the episodes are, what kind of story we're watching, and who's writing it.
>>
>>84200445
The trend towards shorter seasons is a huge improvement for television storytelling. Going back and watching dramas from when 22 episode seasons was the norm is unbearable, there was so much filler that absolutely killed any sense of pacing.
>>
>>84202076
I'm OP lol. The tape was there but other stuff happened in the middle too. It was just something that ties everything together and serves as a turning point at the same time.
>>
File: nam.jpg (156KB, 1190x897px) Image search: [Google]
nam.jpg
156KB, 1190x897px
>>84202150
Maybe if you have ADHD. Backstory and character development isn't "filler", it often adds more depth to the drama.
>>
>>84202162
Right, I watch and enjoy the show, but I found the last episodes of every season to be generally unsatisfying, even if I enjoyed the episodes before. Again, compare this with Mad Men and the Sopranos which always felt incredibly satisfying, both at the end of a season and each individual episode. Even Sopranos, which intentionally withheld and actively withheld from wrapping things up in a neat bow, feels more satisfying than BCS
>>
>>84202232
Those shows are too procedural for my taste, I prefer serialized stuff.
>>
File: 1463715107398.jpg (252KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1463715107398.jpg
252KB, 500x500px
>it's a Miami Vice patrician thread
>>
>>84202377
They are serialised though, they've just hidden it really well, because while the episode to episode plots are distracting you, there's complex character stuff going on beneath, which usually informs the climax of the season
>>
>>84202572
That's procedural with a background arc. Like House MD.
>>
>>84200445
10 eps is more than enough to conclude a story properly

the problem is that writers of late in these serialized stuff suck at pacing themselves

but that still doesn't matter if a season is 10 episodes or 25, if the writer decides to end it on a lame note way like it did with Fargo s3
>>
File: button lee at his computer.jpg (24KB, 453x470px) Image search: [Google]
button lee at his computer.jpg
24KB, 453x470px
>>84203603
David Chase fucking hates procedurals, and The Sopranos and Mad Men are literally nothing like House or any other procedural ever made

Have you literally even watched more than one episode of either
>>
>>84203656
"concluding a story properly" in 10 episodes means you have to rush it. Slow burn is the best.
>>
>>84203753
Are you retarded?

These series are like 10-hour movies.
>>
File: favoriteshotofashi.gif (452KB, 540x500px) Image search: [Google]
favoriteshotofashi.gif
452KB, 540x500px
agreed
>>
>10 episodes is enough
No, it isn't. Based Lynch knows this, hence the 18 episodes plus 10 hours of deleted scenes.
>>
>>84203854
The only reason why movies don't feel as rushed is because the stories don't have nearly as much development.
>>84203890
Based
>>
>>84203603
>>84203697
Sopranos and Mad Men do basically the inverse of your average procedural with a background. Each episode feels distinct and self-contained as a sort of short film (the way TV episodes are meant to be) while still pushing story and character forward across a multi-season arc. Procedurals isolate the serialized stuff from the case of the week, so the bulk of the episode is just formulaic filler and then they pause for character development on the fringes of that. It's a tired model, but at this point so is the pure serialization where the episodes just bleed into one another.
>>
>>84203885
>2D_MEW.gif
>>
>>84203999
Holy fuck I can see it
>>
>>84204083
They probably used her as a model
>>
>>84204280
no wonder I'm still hurting
>>
>>84204440
Riley?
>>
>>84204519
No, Jack
>>
>>84204632
Jack who?
>>
>>84204682
Jack [removed by genndy]
>>
File: 1284825153498.jpg (14KB, 296x275px) Image search: [Google]
1284825153498.jpg
14KB, 296x275px
>I want 24 episodes and 15 seasons so absolutely every little detail can be explained, shown, flanderized, rewritten differently and generally completely ruin a show with zero direction or ideas for maximum profit.
>>
>>84204747
That clue was enough for me, thanks. I didn't watch the show, that's why I didn't get the references.
>>
>>84204813
don't watch it, it's not worth the pain.
>>
>>84204773
People were saying season 3 sucked and now they're upset that Fargo is probably over forever. Now we don't have to debate about which of the dozen potential Fargo seasons and hundreds of Fargo spinoffs were the best and worst.
>>
This is due to the writer's strike if 2007. Best thing to happen in the industry until Woody Allen kicks it. God, I hate that kike.

>>84202208
LOST wants to have a word with you.
>>
>>84206040
Wasn't Fargo just a movie? Though
>>
>>84206136
LOST doesn't really do backstory and character development though, it's mostly proper filler
>>
>>84206040
Nah, I'm glad it's over. Hawley jumped the shark with S2, I thought he'd redeem himself and decided to watch S3 only to find him jumping the shark again. Maybe if it didn't have only 10 episodes he'd have done it better, but the S3 wrap up sucked so much balls I regret watching the whole season.
>>
>>84206258
It is. And the writers can't be bothered writing a female character without adding romantic plot tumours. Kate is pure narrative cancer.

Rewatchig the series gave me some insight into why people dislike the series. You can see the plotholes gaping wide, and decisions that simply led nowhere.
>Oh, Danielle is finally reunited with her daughter, let's kill them both LMAO.
>>
Mad Dogs was 4 episodes a season and it was great. Stop stretching out your shows to have more episodes, 10 is plenty enough.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.