[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone with any inside knowledge of the movie industry explain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 584427.jpg (1MB, 3778x1716px) Image search: [Google]
584427.jpg
1MB, 3778x1716px
Can someone with any inside knowledge of the movie industry explain to me how Neil Blomkamps movies have better special effects than big blockbusters with a gorillion dollar budget?
>>
>>84075808

Because Neil Blomkamp is a talented dude, and comes from a special effects background. He knows how to shoot scenes and work with the effects production team to great results.

He really needs a fucking writer though.
>>
>>84075910
And stop making his movies revolve around South Africa. I know he's from there, but it's an uninteresting shithole. I'd rather watch a movie about Abbos than wiggers
>>
>>84075910
>>84075961
I feel like everyone expected Blomkamp to be like a Ridley Scott guy who did Alien and then a whole bunch of other movies with a different feel, whereas actually Blomkamp is just a dude who wants to keep making his particular kind of South African-influenced genre fiction and that's OK.

I agree about the writer thing although his wife was the screenwriter for District 9 and that's easily his best written film.
>>
>>84075808
Proper application of funding. Hollywood blockbusters can be all over the place with their budgets, hence why they can look like shit.
Plus, Hollywood doesn't always hire the cream of the crop for effects work. Lotta positions in filmmaking are filled out by nepotism or friends-of-friends. You put effort into finding and paying the right amount for a quality effects team, and you can make something look amazing for a surprisingly low budget.
>>
>>84075808
Because in most "big blockbuster" cases the director just hires an army of CGI rendering slaves from a visual effects company and tells them only general guidelines of how he wants something to look, leaving the company to be the actual creative part which is an impossible task because it's a whole army of people trying to form a singular piece.

People like Blomkamp or David Fincher worked specifically in visual effects in the past so they know exactly what they want, how to prepare it and actually execute it, which most directors of today don't have a single clue about.
They all have the same tools, it's just a matter of how you use them.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.