[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>movie trailer >WHAT IF CTHULU WASN'T JUST A STORY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 41

File: 142341254546476.jpg (118KB, 1063x752px) Image search: [Google]
142341254546476.jpg
118KB, 1063x752px
>movie trailer
>WHAT IF CTHULU WASN'T JUST A STORY
>ear shattering fart noise
>full frontal shot of Cthulu rising from the sea with water streaming off of its body
>black screen
>coming 2018

>movie
>opening shot is Cthulu rising out of the water
>movie is 2 hours and 45 minutes of Cthulu destroying a city
>>
>>84073215
Kys
>>
>>84073287
I'm op, that wasn't me.
>>
>>84073096
Cthulhu could never work in a movie. The entire point is that he's an indestructible, incomprehensible horror that views us as basically a giant anthill and could wipe us out in about 10 minutes if he felt like it. There is no room for that kind of movie in Hollywood.

If Hollywood had a Cthulhu movie, it would star Will Smith and Jennifer Lawrence, who are American Air Force jet pilots that work together to blow up Cthulhu. The final scene is the two of them taking out machine guns and blasting Cthulhu's head to pieces.
>>
File: 1497255305602.jpg (3KB, 102x125px) Image search: [Google]
1497255305602.jpg
3KB, 102x125px
>>84073096
>>
File: F.jpg (243KB, 900x808px) Image search: [Google]
F.jpg
243KB, 900x808px
>>84073096
>>84073353
I always thought Cthulhu was more than just a Godzilla monster

Like when he awakens, buildings getting stepped on are the least of anyone's worries because all the veils that separate our world from the adjacent ones get ripped away
>>
>>84073395
Yea man, its like so deep and unnerving duuuuude. Like, lovecraftian maaaaaan
>>
>>84073353
Op again. I've got other ideas for the movie.
There would be no real dialogue, just a few lines as people are wantonly killed.

I would also have every actor that spoke on the A-List, so imagine during the destruction that like Ryan Gosling or Tom Cruise were to appear on screen and just like scream or say something like "Oh my g-" and then just be annihilated.
There would be at least 50 A-list actors.
>>
>2017
>still no LEGO Cthulu Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Z6XQSaZ9E
>>
>>84073430
Get raped, fucking vexatious oxygen thief.
>>
>>84073096
sounds like the kind of retarded shit plebbywood would to. Considering the public right, its kinda suprising that there isnt a Cinematic Universe of Lovecrafts diartribe by now
>>
>>84073450
The ending would be Cthulu standing over the remains of the totally vaporized city, roaring into the sky and then credits.
>>
>>84073096
and only Milla Jovovich can stop him

in 3D
>>
>>84073450
fuckin epic bro! upvoted
>>
>>84073395
Cthulhu itself is a huge being of incomprehensible power, which thusly seems limitless. The audience does not witness its full powers, however its mere awakening starts to either warp reality, or the perception of reality in a considerably large area, breaking not only the laws of nature in the vicinity, but also the minds of many of the people watching its awakening, while also driving people more psychically adept all around the world irreversibly insane. Cthulhu will inevitably wake up again, ushering the apocalypse for the human race, shaking the very foundations of the world. If fully awakened, it is possible to say even this single entity could potentially be powerful enough to destroy Earth, and then instead of dying it would possibly be shattered also, but would simply travel through space to another world, and reform when the stars would align right. During the story it was awoken by mistake while the stars were not right, leaving it weakened and easier to deal with. Cthulhu and other Old Ones are not merely removed from us in distance through normal space, but occupy dimensions so strange that their very substance can scarcely exist in our reality. For example Cthulhu’s gelatinous body needs no food to sustain it, and when broken apart, reforms itself. Being of other-worldly origins, Cthulhu’s form is partially of ectoplasm, and does not entirely exist in our plane
>>
>>84073096
>there's a comedy relief black character
>"Kathulu? Shieet, that nigga live down the block, his mixtapes be whack"
>canned laughter
>>
>>84073488
>Cinematic Universe of Lovecraft
give it a couple years as Hollywood looks for a new intellectual property to milk to death with an endless run of CGI action blockbusters!
>>
>>84073395

He is a high priest of an alien species. When he awakes it means the great old ones are returning to our planet from their intergalactic wandering, to do whatever it is they do, and his job is merely to prepare the Earth for their arrival. What that entails we also don't know.

We wouldn't even register to them or Cthulhu, we're like ants. We mill around, we build our little towers and tunnels, we nip when we feel threatened, but ultimately we're just insignificant.
>>
>>84073656
So ants have a concept of humans?
>>
>there's only one way to stop Cthulhu
>group steps away from the white woman and the black man of the group
>"Only love can smite the beast."
>>
Fuck that, make a shadow over Innsmouth or Dunwich horror movie. Both of them would be far easier to adapt and a far better story.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvpBDopIMxw
>>
>>84073353
>The entire point is that he's an indestructible, incomprehensible horror that views us as basically a giant anthill and could wipe us out in about 10 minutes if he felt like it.

>gets rammed by a boat
>ko'd
>indestructible, incomprehensible
>>
>>84073096
no1curr edgelord. i see you make these shitty threads one after another about that skinny english faggot and his spooooky monsters and I gotta ask - WHATS YOUR ENDGAME?

Lovecraft movies arent going to happen. Only gothkids read that shit and its all really poorly writ. Poe should be your guy. Grow up and watch some old Vincent Price Poe Movies.. your threads would be interesting then atleast.
>>
>>84073708
>there's only one way to stop Cthulhu
>love, srat, love
>>
>>84073717
>shadow over Innsmouth

But there is one (Dagon). As imperfect as it is, it's pretty kino in some ways.
>>
>>84073520
And then mom picks you up in her minivan.
>>
What are the best Lovecraft films; I've enjoyed:
In the Mouth of Madness
Prince of Darkness
Pickman's Muse
Dagon
and some things from The Midnight Gallery
>>
File: tomb-of-ligeia_01.jpg (23KB, 640x279px) Image search: [Google]
tomb-of-ligeia_01.jpg
23KB, 640x279px
>>84073868
>Vincent Price Poe Movies
watch the one where he inexplicably wears these pimpin' shades in Edwardian England and ad-libs half his lines.

Tomb of Ligeia.
>>
>giving Chtulu an image and pronunciation

21st century was a mistake
>>
>>84073964
I wonder if she liked his poem about how niggers smell.
>>
>>84073717
I've always thought the mountains of madness would adapt well enough to film.
A really slow build where the weirdness is introduced incrementally until the whole encampment is consumed.
>>
THEY RUINED ZOMBIES ALREADY PLEASE LEAVE CTHULHU ALONE
>>
>>84073964
Have you seen "The Void"?
Breddy gud. Like a good mix of the thing and hellraiser 2.
>>
Do any Lovecraft stories have a good protagonist? What would a good Hollywood version of a Lovecraft protagonist be?
>>
batman vs superman vs avengers vs suicide squad vs justice league vs godzilla vs king kong vs cthulhu

no snyder allowed
no stronk wymmin allowed
no bullshit allowed
2 hours of non stop fighting
>>
>>84073981
*Victorian England, my bad
>>
>>84074149
>What would a good Hollywood version of a Lovecraft protagonist be
Idris Elba
>>
>elder gods
>giving a damn about a city or people

these things are supposed to be so immense and powerful they can't even comprehend the existence of people. Much less give enough of a damn about cities to bother destroying them. Basically how people conduct themselves in regards to the affairs of bacteria.
>>
>>84074149
All Lovecraft protagonists are thinly veiled self-insertions of the author. Lovecraft tales aren't about the characters, they're about the horrors they experience. Lovecraft protagonists basically exist in order to have horror happen to them.
>>
>>84073096
fucking garbage. if you ever even read lovecraft you'd know that cthulhu is more than just an octupus godzilla
>>
>>84074127
It was like a poor man's The Thing
>>
>>84073484
He's right though. I like a lot of Lovecraft's stories, but they really aren't as crazy as people build them up to be.
>>
Isn't this guy like a low level henchman? Why is he so hyped when he is a yes man bitch
>>
File: the-mist-featured-image.jpg (139KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
the-mist-featured-image.jpg
139KB, 1024x682px
>there will never be a good budget The Mist sequel
>>
>>84074194
Marvel has/had a kaiju in the form of Krakoa, the island that walks like a man. And DC and Mrvel both have living sentient planets.
But Dr. Strange and Dr. Fate would team up to fuck Chthulu in the ass until he ran back go his mommy.
>>
File: 1495715383569.jpg (114KB, 1080x1081px) Image search: [Google]
1495715383569.jpg
114KB, 1080x1081px
>ear shattering fart noise
>>
>>84074299
Because normies have only read one Lovecraft story at best. They don't comprehend that Cthulhu was just an ayy taking a nap on Earth while other, far more powerful beings are brewing chaos in space.

On the other hand, Cthulhu is probably the most powerful being on the planet at this moment in history, seeing as all the other horrors are just chilling somewhere far in space (or time), so it almost makes sense that he is always the center of attention.

Anyways, people tend to care too much about Lovecraft's scarier stories and barely even know about his less scarier but far more interesting ones. For instance, no one would care for it, but I'd absolutely love to see a film about the Great Race of Yith.
>>
>>84073964
2001 is the only true Lovecraftian film. People who can't see that dont understand Lovecraftian horror
>>
>>84074127
>hes still shilling it
good lord
>>
>>84074531
>2001 is the only true Lovecraftian film
what makes it Lovecraftian? Besides "unknowable cosmic entity"
>>
Cthulhu wouldn't work as a movie, because in a good Cthulhu movie Cthulhu would never show up.
>>
File: Yellowbrickroad_MoviePoster.jpg (271KB, 807x1194px) Image search: [Google]
Yellowbrickroad_MoviePoster.jpg
271KB, 807x1194px
>>84074531
This is quite Lovecraftian
>>
anyone played Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened? It does a wonderful job of capturing the occult atmosphere
>>
>>84074590
This. The only way to successfully capture the Mythos in a film is to have a bunch of people talking about occult shit for about two hours or so. No monsters, no Gods, no aliens, no nothing. These entities can literally not be visualized. Any and all visual renderings of them are failures by default. One can only describe them by text, and that can only get you this far. Any form of human communication is way too limited to fully describe them. That's the whole point.
>>
>>84074762
>>84074590
1st half of TD season 1 was so close
>>
File: Cloverfield_theatrical_poster.jpg (35KB, 300x444px) Image search: [Google]
Cloverfield_theatrical_poster.jpg
35KB, 300x444px
>>84073096
Already happened
>>
*cthulhu destroys city for 2 minutes and the rest of the movie is a full frontal view of Brendan Frasier filling up his pocket pussy
>>
>>84073746
this would've been made if lovecraft wasn't a fucking racist
>>
>>84074240
Exactly.
>>
>Cthulu
kek pleb
>>
>>84074149
Seconding.
>>
>>84073539
Hi r*ddit
>>
>>84073868
>reddit spacing

Is this new pasta?
>>
>implying it wouldn't be 2 hours of the characters figuring stuff out with a comedic subplot then only 10 minutes of Cthulhu screentime
>>
>old disgruntled reporter goes to visit old fishing Town island in the 1950s investigating a story of multiple people and fishing boats randomly disappearing
>Town and people look quaint and normal but as the story progress people and places get progressively weirder
>reporter investigation leads him further and further inland to the center of the forest
>Finds huge "abandoned" house, in there he finds, scriptures and rituals that look satanic
>Something attacks him, he escape deeper into the forest and eventually finds a people in huts chanting to a bonfire
>at this point the little visible sky looks green and all birds and animals are running to the same direction (away from the sea)
>reporter gets chased by cultists, he manages to subdue and kill a couple, they are townspeople
>Reporter gets the idea of escaping with a boat, gets chased by cultists until he reaches the shore
>cultists stop following him, he goes to the pier, looks around all the shore is filled with death fish and marine life stranded in the beach
>looks far away into the distant towards that little island with a lighthouse, through the twilight he can see a shadow emerging from the sea, as it does the light turns red and the reporter's eyes get filled with blood
>Fade to Black
>Fin

It's basically the original Chtuli story with some adjustments.
I'm thinking the visuals should be done like the old Evil Death, using cameras and weird angles lighting to show how everything gets progressively kreepier

Thoughts?
>>
File: cthuludrawing.jpg (238KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
cthuludrawing.jpg
238KB, 500x375px
Why do people talk about Cthulhu without reading the book? It's pretty good and it's not that long. People seem to have strong opinions about this stuff that are based on nothing. The Call of Cthulhu is perfectly suited for a movie adaptation. It would be a trippy detective thriller movie with Cthulhu in the last five minutes.

Here is a drawing of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft for all the people who think he must be some kind of indescribable formless terror.
>>
>>84073705
they know we exist and they can respond to our presence, which is about what humans know about Cthulhu
>>
>>84073802
you realize the entire point of that scene in the book was that the boat did nothing right?
>>
>>84073964

Reanimator.
>>
>>84073353
>an indestructible, incomprehensible horror that views us as basically a giant anthill and could wipe us out in about 10 minutes

so we're all agreed that chloe mortez will play it?
>>
>>84077188
This whole ant analogy is stupid. Ants don't have the ability to go full scourched earth and turn the planet into a nuclear wasteland if a human steps on their hill. If Cthulu had any interest to preserve this very planet for the great old ones, he'd have to acknowledge humans as a very real threat. If a human stepped into a bullet ant hill they'd sure as hell also acknowledge the danger of ants and humans would be that times 100 for Cthulu.
>>
>>84077429
>Ants don't have the ability to go full scourched earth and turn the planet into a nuclear wasteland if a human steps on their hill.
no but they can destroy other ant nests, much like we can destroy our planet, the point is that earth, while our whole world, is an ant hill to cthulhu, it's civilization if galaxy spanning, Cthulhu also has no interest in 'preserving' our planet, this is just where it chose to take it's nap because it was as good as any other planet
>>
>>84076987
The normal moviegoer would hate the ending. They want a strong resolution.
>>
BRRRAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTT
>>
>>84073430
Why do you hate fun
>>
>>84077923
What would you consider a strong resolution?
>>
>>84073308
>OP blatantly samefags
>IT AINT ME starts playing
>>
>>84078064
I don't know. I like the idea very much but a studio won't back it.
>>
>>84078064
Godzilla and Kong teaming up to defeat Cthulu.
>>
>>84073096
Wasn't Cthulu defeated with a boat?
>>
>>84078120
I know believe me...

>>84078326
What I'm trying to do is avoid kaijushit as most as I can
>>
>>84073353
>indestructible
>gets BTFO by a boat
On top of all the mages and shit humanity has at its disposal, our militaries are also 10x as effective as they were in the 20s.
Azathoth, on the other hand, would fuck our shit up in a heartbeat.
>>
>>84078744
I'm a huge ignorant about Cthulu, can you spoil me the whole story? how can a giant monster be defeated with a boat?
>>
>>84074194
But anon, they already made that.

https://youtu.be/4WgT9gy4zQA
>>
File: slow-steaming1.jpg (120KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
slow-steaming1.jpg
120KB, 500x500px
leave cthulhu to me
>>
>>84078632
no, it was rammed with a boat and didn't really care
>>
Where can I go to read Lovecrafts works?

Also does Cthulu actually appear or is even mentioned in any movies based on his work? Just want to know.
>>
>>84078795
It's a meme. Cthulhu's ritual was fucked up so he was summoned too early and R'lyeh sank. He regenerated from the boat hit near instantly.
>>
File: Nyako.gif (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Nyako.gif
1MB, 640x360px
leave lovecraftkino to me
>>
File: IMG_0009.jpg (538KB, 1280x1837px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0009.jpg
538KB, 1280x1837px
i want Shub-Niggurath as my sister.
>>
>>84078931
this site http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/ has all the ones available online

Cthulhu appears in Call of Cthulhu
>>
>>84079023
post more cunt
>>
>>84078632
>>84078744
>>84078795
>>84078850
the actual text for those curious
>The awful squid-head with writhing feelers came nearly up to the bowsprit of the sturdy yacht, but Johansen drove on relentlessly. There was a bursting as of an exploding bladder, a slushy nastiness as of a cloven sunfish, a stench as of a thousand opened graves, and a sound that the chronicler would not put on paper. For an instant the ship was befouled by an acrid and blinding green cloud, and then there was only a venomous seething astern; where—God in heaven!—the scattered plasticity of that nameless sky-spawn was nebulously recombining in its hateful original form, whilst its distance widened every second as the Alert gained impetus from its mounting steam.
>>
>>84074838
TD?
>>
>>84079191
He had unbelievable creativity and imagination, but fuck he was a really shitty writer.
>>
>>84079259
True Detective
>>
>>84078931
he's shows up at the very end of call of cthulhu. a boat finds his city in the middle of the ocean and the sailors release him accidentally. he kills some of the sailors then gets rammed by a 1920s era steamship and pops like a bubble, but reforms almost immediately after. the boat gets away but the surviving sailors have ptsd from their encounter. it's pretty anticlimactic desu.
>>
>>84073475
a)that was awful
b)that was gay
c)you are now gay
>>
File: IMG_0026.jpg (467KB, 1280x1837px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0026.jpg
467KB, 1280x1837px
>>84079097
>>
>>84079374
Adorable, Moar!
>>
>>84079374

pls post the source/ways to get the whole thing
>>
>>84079023
>>84079374
>tfw no qt monster sister
>>
File: NyarkoHenshin.gif (83KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
NyarkoHenshin.gif
83KB, 400x300px
>>84079480
nigger I've posted 2 full pages - saucenao should have no trouble finding the sauce.

artist is Pochi-Goya. There's both a non-h manga and various dirty works
>>
>>84079359
>anticlimactic
Did you read the rest of the story? The whole idea isn't 'woah scary monster!' it's 'if this can exist, then it's all real, what else can exist, the world I know has been turned upside down'. The narrator knows his fate, someone, from the cult, somehow, will find him and make his death look like an accident. It's a horror story, not an action sci fi monster story.
>>
>>84079301
At least he was aware of it
>>
>>84073353
Hellboy kind of did it
>>
>>84079301
He really wasn't. I really dislike that meme because people cherry pick some odd purple prose paragraphs and totally ignore all of his other good writing. I'm not saying he didn't write some shit, he had stinkers, but no one ever brings up how good The Picture in the House or The Colour out of Space are.
>>
>>84073096
A proper Cthulhu movie would just be 2 and a half hours of everybody on the planet screaming in terror for seemingly no reason.
>>
>>84073096
It would be 2 hours and 40 minutes of people talking, and 5 minutes of cthulu and you know it.
>>
>>84077133
It's not even a book. It's a short story
>>
>"That is not dead which can eternal lie / and with strange aeons even death may die"
That stuff is great. Why is everything else he wrote so shit?
>>
File: The_Call_of_Cthulhu.jpg (40KB, 300x600px) Image search: [Google]
The_Call_of_Cthulhu.jpg
40KB, 300x600px
silent movie from 2005

kino
>>
>>84080004
Because you haven't read it.
>>
>>84079809

Bro what if like there were colors we like hadnt even seen before like bro how would we even....

Jokes aside Color is one of his best stories.
>>
>>84073964
In the Mouth of Madness
The Void
>>
File: book_cover_rats-340x340.jpg (41KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
book_cover_rats-340x340.jpg
41KB, 340x340px
I'd love to see a $40 million movie wherein the main character has a pet cat called "Nigger-Man."
>>
>>84077133

The story even plays out in the three-act structure with a wraparound story. If anything, it's almost TOO easy to adapt. Makes me wonder why no one's tried. Probably because there isn't a love story or enough action scenes.
>>
>>84080629
Rats in the Walls actually seems like one of his few stories which could get made into a movie (you know, if you changed the cat's name)
>>
>>84080701
>enough action scenes.
I mean there's a police raid on a satanic cult and a sailor driving a boat into an alien's head, that's not bad for a mystery story
>>
>>84080721
I actually think most of his stories could be made in a book, since he is extremely descriptive.
I would love to see a silent movie adaptation of The Music of Erich Zann
>>
>>84080701

Movie's prologue is the MC getting reporter letters from his recently (implied non-accidentally) dead uncle, and deciding to investigate the Cthulhu mythos.

ACT I: Interview with the sculptor, the weird events going on around him and the visions he has.

ACT 2: Police raid on the Cthulhu cult, and the fallout from the event.

ACT 3: Vignette with the crew of sailors who discover Cthulhu's lair, encounter him, and crash into/through his head while escaping.

Movie's epilogue is the MC trying to get all of these findings to the press, only to realize too late that the surviving members of the cult are closing in on him. Ending could be ambiguous or dark.
>>
>>84073545
Jesus Christ man have you never made love to a women
>>
>>84080445
Colour isn't even about the colour itself, none of the stories are about the monster or weird thing that appears. It's just meant to be an immediate, solid weird inciting instance. Okay, a meteorite is rare but they happen, but then they crack it open and there's something in there that makes no sense, the idea is to hammer in that something's really wrong.
>>
Reminder that Erich Zann plays a cello and not a violin.
>>
>>84081151
well neither did Lovecraft so it makes sense

joking of course, according to his wife he was perfectly capable in bed
>>
>>84074240
another issue with trying to animate this is the fact that the horror they experience is literally unimaginable
>>
>>84081396
>adequately excellent lover

To this day I still don't know what that means
>>
>>84080701
I feel like the people who would watch it would complain that Cthullu only appears for all of 10 seconds
>>
>>84073096
Would be truer to the source material if you never saw him in the movie
>>
>>84081446
It means he was a cuck who let a black bull duck his wife
>yfw call of cthulu is the greatest cuck story ever told
>>
>>84081416
No it isn't. Why do people say this? That's only true for very few stories.
>>
>>84074525
Were they the ones that put people's brains in jars while they borrowed the bodies, or am I thinking of something else?
>>
>>84081446
he wasn't exactly enthusiastic or affectionate, but he knew exaclty what he was doing
>>
>>84081694
I think the Great race of Yith are the ones who do the bodyswapping time-travel thing
>>
>>84081694
The Mi-Go are the brain jar aliens, they were master surgeons. Great Race of Yith were time travelers who mass-swapped bodies with races throughout time.
>>
>>84073096
The only Lovecraft story that could be put on screen would be At the Mountains of Madness, and only because of being predominantly exploration-based story. Although knowing Hollywood they would just turn it into some found-footage bullshit.
>>
>>84081838
Isn't it technically found footage bullshit itself?
>>
File: cjfjoifuuaeca8i2.jpg (63KB, 501x504px) Image search: [Google]
cjfjoifuuaeca8i2.jpg
63KB, 501x504px
>>84076987
Perfect ending for a sequel.
>>
Alright, here's the million dollar idea.
We do it as a young-adult romance.
>Main character is teenage girl, not convencionally pretty, feels distant from the rest of society
>Her father's a down on his luck archeologist who just can't find anything
>To cheer him up, she goes with him on his next expedition
>everything goes wrong, this is the horror part
>crazy dark shit, insanity, the terrors of the cosmic universe are shown in minimal brushes
>they discover an innsmouth-looking people with that fish-like look
>there's a teenager there who's never seen the world
>they meet, fall in love and all that shit
>movie ends with Cthulhu rising from the sea, as we see the couple in a romantic embrace, accepting the end
>>
>>84081877
Nah, it's basically an open letter.
>>
>>84074227
Why the fuck not, he's almost done destroying the Dark Tower and he'll need something to hold him over until he tanks James Bond.
>>
>>84081906
That's retarded.
>>
>>84081906
Fuck you.
>>
>>84081951
>he's almost done destroying the Dark Tower
As if he was involved creatively in any way. He just acted in it (because King specifically requested him). He had nothing to do with that movie being shit.
>>
>>84081906
Can you stretch that into 4 movies, with the last chapter being split into two parts?

Then we're golden
>>
>>84079613
muh dik
that was pretty good
>>
File: 1468974432006.jpg (645KB, 842x1235px) Image search: [Google]
1468974432006.jpg
645KB, 842x1235px
Bloodborne movie when
>>
>>84081906
>young-adult
dropped
Also by now I think even kikeywood has realised young adult fiction isn't the cash cow it used to be
>>
>>84073096
>I'm op and not only do I know nothing about Lovecraft I've also been brain damaged by comic book flicks
>>
>>84081838
I don't think it'd work as a film at all. Not enough 'happens'. It's walking around in wonderment and awe and talking about ancient time periods, studying the vast mural of alien race and then a monster appears. It's all about deep time and kind of philosophical musings on how short we've been here and how little we know about our world. It's not blockbuster material at all, whatsoever.
>>
>>84082120
I mean, that could be an amazing film. But yeah, definitely not a blockbuster. Although Interstellar was also a huge hit, so maybe ...
>>
>>84082191
So basically, the only way to make Lovecraft profitable is to get Nolan to direct it.
>>
>>84081995
wtf, is Roland supposed to be black in the books?
>>
>>84078795
Boat accidentally bumped into a big squid so it went back to sleep
>>
>>84073353

>No penetration
Dropped
>>
>>84073096
Sounds like the lamest shit ever.

Protip: Lovecraftian stuff is unfilmable.
>>
>>84082191
But that still had conflict and stuff happening, ATMOM doesn't have all these characters and weird situations and shit, it's a team of geologists and such examining an ancient city and trying to decode stuff. There's some events, like Gedney disappearing and digging up the Elder Things, but it's so far between, really.
>>
>>84082392
>Lovecraftian stuff is unfilmable
Rats in the Walls seems doable, I'm pretty sure there was a Reanimator movie, The Hound is very standard horror movie material as is Shadow Over Innsmouth or The Thing on the Doorstep
>>
Basically it would have to be a mystery/thriller/horror about a guy investigating a town that turns out to be a cult thats summoning some old god.

So, you know, the most tired and played out horror plotline ever.
>>
>>84074525
The Call of Cthulhu game featured them pretty well. But agreed, Cthulhu and the rest of the gods are way to nebulous for movies. A movie about their cultists could work however
>>
>>84082562
In all fairness, most, if not all Lovecraft adaptation change and add so much stuff. The only real straight adaptation is the 2005 b&w silent Call of Cthulhu, and even then it's missing some stuff. Reanimator barely resembles the story, I'm not a fan of Stuart Gordon.
>>
>>84082120
Prometheus?
>>
>>84082607
>investigating a town
Confirmed for having not read the story. One of the smaller twists is the cult is global.
>>
>>84082607
>about a guy investigating a town that turns out to be a cult thats summoning some old god
I would run out of fingers if I had to count every Japanese horror game that did that
>>
>>84082562
>The Thing on the Doorstep
this depends on the studio's willingness to have a female-on-male abusive relationship as the central conflict of the story
>>
>>84082669
Prometheus is a shit tier rip off
>>
>>84082695
Right but obviously our protagonists wont know that. Plus a totally faithful adaptation is the best way to guarantee a movie fails.

Admittedly its been maybe 8 years since I read Lovecraft in high school
>>
>>84082562
It literally lacks the main thing that H.P. so carefully established when put on film and that thing is absent of information. Such as visual representation, audial, etc. You leave it to reader to imagine all these horrors.

I dunno man, personally my imagination is pretty crazy and fucked up for Hollywood hacks with their greenscreens to top it.
>>
>>84082562
actually after seeing Arrival I feel like an adaptation of Through the Gates of the Silver Key could work
>>
>>84082767
Call of Cthulhu is about a guy trying to find out why his uncle was murdered, finds a box of weird shit relating to some cult uncle investigated and he puts a bunch of disparate stuff together after speaking to some people and puts the info together and goes 'Oh no...', the information he puts together is smaller stories like a raid on a swamp cult and a group of sailor's horrifying encounter at sea. It should be easy to do straight, no making it an action thriller or some shit, it's a straight horror.
>>
>>84082859
>Through the Gates of the Silver Key
wew let's not go too crazy here
>>
>>84078326
>a big monkey doing anything in a fight between an immovable object like godzira and an unstopable force like chtullu.
>>
>>84082911
I think the problem is that its really too straight to be interesting, or at least to a modern audience. I mean people hear Cthullu and probably think something like Godzilla but its really just cult mystery horror plus a goosebumps ending
>>
>>84081838
Outside of being chased by the Elder Things I don't see what else they could do to make regular people interested.
>>
>>84073395

Watch the Mouth of Madness. Best lovecraft lite movie.
>>
>>84083015
>I mean people hear Cthullu and probably think something like Godzilla but its really just cult mystery horror plus a goosebumps ending

You're unfortunately completely right, Lovecraft's stuff has been to hell and back thanks to the fanboys who elected to be his heirs (technically illegally) and have run it into the ground over the decades. That's why we have meme visual shorthand now, it's why people call stuff with tentacles 'Lovecraftian'. I can't stand that shit. However, that's just the story, it's how you present that story and make it look that really matter in a movie.
>>
>>84074525
I'd love to see a film about Nyarlathotep
>>
>Le boat killed it meme

Literally every time Cthulhu is mentioned. The plebes of reading comprehension.
>>
>>84083184
I think those kind of people would like the Chaos Gods from Warhammer more but thats another mess that'll never hit the screens
>>
>>84081776
I just remember the brain jar guys after reading that one thing where someone pissed one off and they left his brain jar in front a mirror so he could do literally nothing but stare at himself.
>>
>>84083252
I was never clear on the actual events which led to cthulu just fucking off
>>
>>84083252
they are agents of hastur
>>
>>84083319
>I was never clear on the actual events which led to cthulu just fucking off
Imagine a hibernating bear. It's January. The bear grumbles, half opens an eye, shifts position and goes back to sleep realizing spring is still a long way off.
>>
>>84083409
Get out Mythosfag
>>
>>84082607
>>84082705
name few pls
>>
>>84077225
I've never read anything involving Cthulu. Mind explaining what this means if the boat KO'd Cthulu in one shot but did nothing?
>>
>>84083319
My take is that the sailors woke him and the time wasn't right.
>>
>>84082607
That's just The Horror at Red Hook.
>>
>>84083409
Who?
>>
>>84083319
>>84083573
>Stars are close to being right, but not quite
>Cthulhu stirs, pokes his head out of the water
>Boat guy sees it
>Ram the shit out of it
>Since Cthulhu is only half-awake, he sort of stumbles
>That half-second of him stumbling is enough for the boat to start getting away
>Captain looks back; sees Cthulhu has already regenerated from the wound
>Before Cthulhu had a chance to wreak havoc on the boat, his time's up and R'lyeh sinks, dragging him down with it

The boat got lucky and stunned him just long enough to get away. Had the stars been right and he was fully waking up, then he could've eaten a dozen nukes and been absolutely fine.
>>
>>84083572
well off the top of my head Siren and the Silent Hill series and Fatal Frame kind of are almost all about cults trying to revive something or sacrifice people in rituals.

Siren in particular is very Cthulhu esque since the word Siren refers to the call of their god which lives in the sea, and how the people of the town are trying to prepare for her awakening
>>
File: Erotic Lovecraft.png (40KB, 633x230px) Image search: [Google]
Erotic Lovecraft.png
40KB, 633x230px
>>84073353
Best way to adopt The Call of Cthulhu: A modern day Netflix type stone cold serious mockumentary investigation into what lead up to the events of 1925, complete with archived footage, dramatizations, interviews with descendants of those involved, a trip to Arkham, Massachusetts to look at a certain bas-relief sculpture , investigation of the Cthulhu cult, a trip to Norway to talk to the only surviving witness to some of what transpired and, finally, a visit to co-ordinates of 47°9′S 126°43′W [spoilers]guest diving James Cameron[/spoiler].
>>
>>84083878
What we do in the shadows except with cult members and silly investigators
>>
>>84081838
>not Charles Dexter Ward

Pfft. You are a polyp.
>>
>>84084058
I was going for a more serious take on it, the mockumentary format not necessarily having to be comedic in order to work, but I'd take that as well.
>>
>>84083878
>Arkham

Call of Cthulhu takes place in Providence, Rhode Island. It mentions the Fleur de Lys building as a location.
>>
>>84073096
Cthulhu should never directly appear on camera. It would ruin the whole thing.
>>
>>84081838
I disagree. Plenty of stories of his could be adapted pretty well if they had the budget and the right director. The Temple for instance just screams for a mid budget adaptation (Das Boot meets Dagon).
>>
>>84084172
My bad, been a while since I read it. Could have sworn a certain bas-relief sculpture was housed at Miskatonic University, but turns out it was Brown.
>>
>>84083573
I mean, the exact quote was posted earlier >>84079191
>>
>>84077133
Tbqh famalam, that drawing is Lovecraft's rendition of what the cultists' clay bust of Cthulhu looks like, and not of the thing itself
>>
The part in Call of Cthulu where the townsfolk break into your room is the best part of the game. The rest is still okay, though.
>>
Is the The Colour Out of Space any good?
>>
File: Colour.jpg (243KB, 1289x606px) Image search: [Google]
Colour.jpg
243KB, 1289x606px
>>84084485
Yes.
>>
>>84084473
That and when the shoggoth is chasing you in the refinery. Legit tension in those scenes.

My favourite moment was near the end, though, in "the air-filled tunnels". First the flying polyps are the scariest shit ever put on vidya. But then you make it out and the soundtrack does this thing, three or more different wailings start shifting in tone until they become a harmony when you see the temple. 10/10 moment
>>
>>84084473
That whole sequence is pretty much adapted directly from The Shadow over Innsmouth.
Btw, game was meant to be a PC exclusive Amnesia: The Dark Decent type experience before Bethesda acquired the publishing rights, forced shooter type gampelay on it, timed Xbox exclusivity, and without expanding the deadline in order to keep up with those demands. They were clearing out their offices while a lone stubborn programmer worked night and day and without pay to bring it to PC like originally intended and in order for Bethesda to honour their publishing obligation of said version. No wonder it's buggy, it's a wonder we got it at all.
>>
>>84073096
Do we see his BBC when he rises out of the water?
>>
>>84084485
It's really good. One of his best imo.
>>
>>84084682
*BGTs you mean
>>
>>84073096
>>full frontal shot of Cthulu
>>
>>84074525
The Rats in the Walls was always my favorite
>>
What would an ear shattering fart noise sound like?
>>
>>84073353
It's been done, and it was actually pretty good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Call_of_Cthulhu_(film)
>>
>>84084608
I actually forgot that part with the music. You're right in that all the moments are good too. I just really liked the room break in - I didn't think they would actually bust through the door and it actually scared me.
>>
>>84077408
heh
>>
>>84083075
In the Mouth of Madness
But yes, it's great.
>>
>>84084850
braaap
>>
File: 1375627565703.jpg (216KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1375627565703.jpg
216KB, 1024x768px
>tfw there will never be a trigger disciplined tacticool television adoption of Delta Green, complete with cryptic echoes of real life shadow politics and conspiracy theories, complete with mid-to-end season near kill-em-alls...
>>
>cthulhu is supposed to be fat and he's got an expressionless face with several black eyes
>artists draw him as overly muscular with 2 angry glowing human eyes
>>
>>84084485
My favorite literature of any.
>>
>Was going to bring up the Lurking Fear as a movie suggestion
>There has been not just one, but three adaptations
What the fuck
>>
>>84080629
>wherein the main character has a pet cat called "Nigger-Man."
Nigger was a really common name/nickname for pets with black fur.
So much so that gen. Jack "Black" Pershing in WWI's nickname wasn't actually "black."
>>
>>84077429
I think the point is that we are to cthulhu what ants are to us. While we are sapient and intelligent as we are, he is leaps and bounds beyond what is actually comprehensible

Ants have the abiliy to scour the earth clean if they were for some reason compelled to do so. But we could likely stop it and the damage be negligible.

Humans could glass the planet with nukes if they were compelled to do so, but cthulhu could probably stop it. Even then, to him, the damage may be negligible
>>
>>84085261
I can't stand this, fucking bodybuilder Cthuhlus bother the hell out of me
>>
>>84085616
>I think the point is that we are to cthulhu what ants are to us. While we are sapient and intelligent as we are, he is leaps and bounds beyond what is actually comprehensible
Ever seen The Mothman Prophecies? Not a masterpiece by any means, but a pretty eerie film that has some dialogue exactly along these lines.
>>
>>84073096

If only they'd make a new movie like Dagon.
That one was fantastic.
>>
>>84085616
>>84085720
>If there was a car crash ten blocks away, that window washer up there could probably see it. Now, that doesn't mean he's God, or even smarter than we are. But from where he's sitting, he can see a little further down the road.

Mothman Prophecies was a perfect weird fiction film.
>>
Sci-fi stuff could gain a lot from incorporating Lovecraftian elements (not necessarily tentacle monsters, but more the slipping into madness and esoteric things existing above our level of consciousness). 2001 and Serial Experiments Lain are the only prolific ones off the top of my head that do this really well. Hell, Lovecraft himself even wrote some sci-fi (see In the Walls of Eryx).
>>
File: Cthulhu_sketch_by_Lovecraft.jpg (119KB, 568x702px) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu_sketch_by_Lovecraft.jpg
119KB, 568x702px
>>84085261
>>84085631
Here is a drawing from the man himself
>>
>>84074525
>bro there's crab people in the hills with some human conspirators probably jews they're coming for me oh shit
>got some more dogs at the kennels to hold them off got like 20 dogs they killed a bunch so I got another dozen guy at the kennels is starting to get suspicious
>oh fuck oh fuck they're coming in oh shit
>nevermind it's ok don't worry we're actually friends *click click* now so don't worry about it just come over and don't tell anyone where you're going and destroy all our correspondences \
True kino
>>
>>84085962
>not necessarily tentacle monsters
But these aren't even somehow inherently Lovecraftian, why the fuck would you even say this?

Lovecraftian horror is existentialist horror with a deeply materialistic bent that uses freakish, bizarre events and creatures to get across its ideas in a creative way. It's about human ignorance, arrogance, limitation and our inconsequential nature. They ARE horror stories, they're meant to be dark and uncomfortable, there's nothing uplifting to really be found.

However, these days, these aren't fresh new concepts, we've lived through decades of bizarre literary movements an deconstructions, so it's hard to make that scary for a modern audience who don't find the concept to materialist atheism shocking or subversive.
>>
>>84082028
great game desu senpai
>>
>>84082028
Bloodborne is literally the wrong kind of Lovecraftian horror that is popular
>>
>>84086166
When normalfags hear "Lovecraft" they think "giant squid and also niggers".
>>
>>84086285
No it isn't. Bloodborne actually takes its influences and uses them tastefully and has incredible thematic consistency, Miyazaki's a massive autist but it paid off. It doesn't rely on ebin overt references to Lovecraft, it's clear but not obvious in its influence. Everything from prehuman civilization to loss of humanity, it's done incredibly well.
>>
File: Cthulhu.png (451KB, 370x479px) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu.png
451KB, 370x479px
>>84073096
>people an their shitty pedestrian "hollywood and tv-friendly" drawings of Ch'thulhu

git rekt u feggits
>>
File: 2000.jpg (509KB, 2000x1519px) Image search: [Google]
2000.jpg
509KB, 2000x1519px
>>84086478
>>
>>84086567
ahhh a peepee blue board get out MOOODS MOODS
>>
File: cthulhu_dawn.jpg (1MB, 2498x1491px) Image search: [Google]
cthulhu_dawn.jpg
1MB, 2498x1491px
based Cthulhumorph coming through
>>
>>84086712
>muscles
>mouth

Stop
>>
File: images (5).jpg (53KB, 330x446px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
53KB, 330x446px
I want to see AZATHOTH
>>
>>84073096
Make the cultists really fucked up. Like some kind of Human Centipede type shit. That way you know they aren't just normal crazy, they're Cthulhu crazy.

Cthulhu himself doesn't show up, at all. His "arrival" manifests itself as an event in which all of the pain and suffering in the world gets dialed up to 11. I don't mean have people start killing each other or getting into accidents or whatever. Just that whatever normally causes pain now causes much more pain. Think of it like Cthulhu messing with the universe's thermostat.
>>
cthulhu noob here, so why are all the elder ones sleeping? just cause? did they get imprisoned fighting other gods?
>>
>>84086885
Read the actual story. For weeks leading up to the event in the Pacific Ocean, there had been wide outbreaks of bizarre nightmares and people going crazy and cults springing up out of nowhere, people were committing murders and killing themselves because something wrong had surfaced on the planet. It wasn't apocalyptic, but there were noticeable rises in certain events that came out of nowhere.
>>
>>84087026
>he wants to understand what is, by design, an incomprehensible subject

Shit's old, weird and alien. It had some kind of awful impact on our shit ape species in the past, and none of it makes sense. This stuff isn't evil or even malevolent, it's just incompatible us, we're not meant to be near it.

If you wanna go full Mythosfag August Derleth fanfiction tier, then the Great Old Ones warred with the Elder Gods and shit and they're evil and Derleth is a fucking hack who ruined everything.
>>
how do you pronounce r'lyeh
>>
>>84088002
You don't
>>
File: 1451241334691.png (40KB, 633x973px) Image search: [Google]
1451241334691.png
40KB, 633x973px
>>84073993
This desu
>>
Melancholia is the closest lovecraftian movie we ever got
>>
>>84073475
Did that kid yell, "Oh Shit!"?
>>
>>84073521

>"Multi-pass"
>>
>>84081644
except Lovecraft was racist as fuck and if his wife ever touched a black dude he would've killed them both and then himself
>>
File: Yog-Sothoth.jpg (129KB, 1440x836px) Image search: [Google]
Yog-Sothoth.jpg
129KB, 1440x836px
You know, a perfect Lovecraftian adoption wouYog-Sothoth!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-aoACLcBP4
>>
>>84073964
>>84074039

It looks like she's a museum installation.
>>
>>84077923
This. It's the reason why It Comes At Night failed; normies don't actually understand that most horror movies are metaphors for more real and more horrific fears, because they never actually have had to experience those fears. They literally only pay to see movies to see "le scary monster" and if the monster isn't even shown they'll walk out disappointed, even if the film is a masterpiece.
>>
>>84088955
>he would've killed them both and then himself
He would have done no such thing.
Lovecraft was xenophobic to the point of his period appropriately racist friends telling him to tone it down at times, but he was not a brute. He was a separatist, so less about race wars and systematic genocide, more about everybody just staying in their own comers, an idea he strayed away from further and further as he grew older, more travel worn and, sadly, poorer.
>>
>>84085991
thicc
>>
>>84073096
god damnit, had me excited it was actually a thing for half a second.
>>
>>84089362
>exiting
Those 2 hours and 45 would be better spent on a capable director trying to figure out what David Lean would have done with the material, not this fucking dreadful CGI destruction porn overload extravaganza that's been killing off Hollywood for over a decade now.
>>
File: 6709090909.png (829KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
6709090909.png
829KB, 675x900px
>>84075217
I was so excited when i read this as getting a sequel only to find out it was some john goodman ayy lmao movie.
>>
>>84078837
I enjoyed that.
>>
>>84089200
>be a traditionalist xenophobic antisemitic new england angloboo
>marry some new yorker jewess
what did he mean by this
>>
>>84089462
>destruction porn overload extravaganza
I just want to see humanity eradicated on film with no survivors or happy endings; if anyone can do that it would be Cthulhu.
>>
>>84089703
The seductive jewess has been selectively bred for a thousand years to corrupt racist Anglos and weaken their resolve to keep their nations free of semitic infestation. Poor H.P. never stood a chance
>>
>>84087026
Only Cthulhu is sleeping (dead and dreaming, actually). Nyarlatothep is around. He's sort of like the god Pan, he likes taking human and trolling people.

Then you have the outer deities. Those are harder to explain. Azathoth is basically the primordial chaos that existed in the universe before things existed. Yog-Sothoth is the force that turned that chaos into something. So they're not like big ayylmaos, but more universal forces like gravity or nuclear energy.

>>84087196
Derleth was a hack writer, but he was a true scholar and gentleman, and it's thanks to him that Lovecraft is even known today, in spite of his own shitty fanfiction.
>>
>>84089703
What he himself increasingly admitted (or at least hinted at) in his correspondence later in life, that the more intense aspects of his xenophobia wasn't really in sync with reality or at least how he rationally perceived it, rather tied to deep rooted insecurities loaded onto him by a pretty fucked up childhood. After being shut in and convinced by your mother that you're sick and ugly for many of your more sensitive years, you're bond to develop some psychological trauma that might morph after you figure out that you ain't that sick or hideous and are able to travel and be your own man.
>>
>>84089200
This, basically. He was racist, but never of the "all fucking niggers must fucking hang" variety. He did marry a jew, and she would sometimes poke fun at Lovecraft because of it when he went on a /pol/ tirade.
>>
File: fog.png (677KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
fog.png
677KB, 576x1024px
>>
>>84089996
>Derleth was a hack writer, but he was a true scholar and gentleman, and it's thanks to him that Lovecraft is even known today, in spite of his own shitty fanfiction.

That's been contested. Lovecraft's more close and trusted friends and relatives didn't get the news of his demise until a couple of weeks after he was gone, with Derleth having quickly snatched up the rights to his material (even on dubious legal grounds) before his corpse had ran cold so to speak. It's even been suggested that Derleth's later handling of the material has, if anything, hurt the way Lovecraft has been studied and perceived by scholars and the literary community.
>>
Del Taco pitched Mountains of Madness to several studios and he always got noted to hell and back. They wanted a happy ending, a love interest for the protagonist, a sequence in which the shoggoth disguises as a main character, etc. That's the kind of crap we'll get if a studio bets on a Lovecraft flick.
>>
Quick fact: The term "Cthulhu Mythos" was coined by August Derleth, and HPL called his own stuff "Yog-Sothothery"
>>
>>84090307
He almost got to make the James Cameron sponsored 3D 40fps PG-13 action movie vehicle version starring Tom Cruise.
Thank Yig that didn't materialize....
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tENZajVJoI
the game looks like shit
>>
>>84089996
Exactly, Azathot is basically Vacuum decay
>>
>>84074069
Cthulhu has been ruined since Lovecraft became Geek Culture™.
>>
>>84090299

R.H. Barlow was told by Lovecraft he should be his literary executor and he acted accordingly.
>It should be noted that Lovecraft’s “Instructions” give Barlow outright ownership of his manuscripts and some of his other effects; it is not simply that Barlow is to work toward securing the publication of any of this material, as would be customary for a literary executor. So Barlow was within his rights to do with the material what he wished; and it is to his eternal credit that he decided so unhesitatingly to deposit most of this material in a public institution.

>Because of his frequent moves across the country and his consequent tardiness or negligence in answering letters, Barlow inadvertently created considerable ill-will among Lovecraft’s colleagues. He also later admitted that he had erred in not making public the statement regarding himself in Lovecraft’s “Instructions,” since some parties believed that Barlow had pilfered Lovecraft’s property.

>August Derleth perhaps felt that he himself had been—or should have been—deemed Lovecraft’s literary executor on the strength of two comments Lovecraft had made to him in various letters.

Basically Derleth reached to Barlow and said "I'm going to publish Lovecraft's stuff in three volumes, while you've been letting it rot at the John Hay library archives. Either help me or move out of the way." Derleth ended up funding Arkham House to get the books out.
>>
>Lovecraft became Geek Culture™

The negro had been knocked out, and a moment’s examination shewed us that he would permanently remain so. He was a loathsome, gorilla-like thing, with abnormally long arms which I could not help calling fore legs, and a face that conjured up thoughts of unspeakable Congo secrets and tom-tom poundings under an eerie moon. The body must have looked even worse in life—but the world holds many ugly things.
>>
>>84073430
(you)
>>
>>84090993
desu senpai Reanimator was written almost as a joke. The editor wanted something pulpy with crazy plot twists at the end of each chapter and Lovecraft hated the idea but really needed the money, so he wrote it with his tongue firmly on his cheek.

That said, on The Call of Cthulhu he did write

>The professor had been stricken whilst returning from the Newport boat; falling suddenly, as witnesses said, after having been jostled by a nautical-looking negro who had come from one of the queer dark courts on the precipitous hillside which formed a short cut from the waterfront to the deceased’s home in Williams Street.

>nautical-looking negro
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>84073717
Shadow Over Innsmouth and At The Mountains of Madness would be my picks. There's a certain view that Lovecraft is inherently difficult to adapt, though, just because the way he wrote was so reliant on the nature of the medium. Alan Moore explained it at one point: http://thequietus.com/articles/16129-alan-moore-providence-cthulhu-philosophy-language-lovecraft
>>
Why isn't there a horror movie based on some plots from Call of Cthulu ?
>>
>>84091224
The thing about TCoC is that it is precisely about different plots that are apparently unrelated until the main character reads through them and sees the big picture they form. Hard to focus on only one of those plots.
>>
>>84091112
>what did he mean by this?
Not to say Lovecraft wasn't racist, but even racial relations progressive people called blacks negros back then. Heck, writers the likes of Kurt Vonnegut were still throwing the term around in the 70s without hypersensitivities or sense of irony.
>>
>>84091112
Probably meant he was a black sailor.
>>
>>84081658
It's honestly just existential horror. It's the terror of realising the true scale of reality and the inconsequence of humans on that stage, cranked up to 11. Nothing unimaginable about it, except perhaps that we aren't also saddled with the revelation that our world, existence, and self are just the dreams of a mindless higher being.

Space Engine is the best Lovecraftian horror game.
>>
>>84081658
>Now all my tales are based on the fundamental premise that common human laws and interests and emotions have no validity or significance in the vast cosmos-at-large.

t. Lovecraft
>>
>>84089703
She was thicc.
>>
>>84073353
I think the best way to bring Cthulhu to the movies would be to adapt the short-story A Colder War by Charles Stross.
>>
>>84074299
>>84074525
He's hyped up because of August Derleth. Derleth is the one who sold this shit as "the Cthulhu Mythos" not long after Lovecraft's death. On a practical, pop cultural level, it might also be because Cthulhu is the most well-defined physical form in a universe of gibbering mouthers, schemers with a thousand forms, and shapeless clouds.

S.T. Joshi popularised the term "Lovecraft Mythos," which is what I seem to run into more often these days. For what it's worth, Lovecraft himself referred to the whole of his fiction as "Yog-Sothothery."
>>
>>84090750
I always liked the interpretation that Azathoth is basically the giant black hole in the center of the universe, because the way he is described is very similar to black holes.
>>
>>84073656
Here's thing, a swarm of fire-ants can kill a man.
>>
>>84073096
the only thing that could remotely work with cthulu would be something kinda like cloverfield where you barely see him and people are going fucking mental meanwhile
>>
>>84074291
>>84073430
Stop samefagging, you've never read lovecraft.

>>84073096
Why would he destroy a city, he doesn't care about us, when he wakes up he's gonna go to space to do his god business.

We're only his alarm clock.
>>
>>84091992
Yeah, the thing about Lovecraft's creatures isn't so much "2spooky5me" but that they're really alien, hard to even comprehend. Like in Mountains, when Danford gets a glimpse of the Shoggoth and he goes almost catatonic, all he can do is recite the name of subway stations because it's the only way his mind can kinda cope and make sense of what he saw.

Cthulhu isn't a humanoid figure with dragon wings and an octopus face. That's just three things that came to mind to whoever saw him in a nightmare or whatever.

But even that's easy mode compared to things like when one of the sailors is eaten up by a geographic fault that's described as "an angle which was acute but behaved as if it were obtuse." Now how do you film that?
>>
>>84091971
It's not supposed to be taken literally. It's not meant to be "Cthulhu to humans is exactly and in every way possible the same thing as Humans are to ants". It's just means that we consider it a small, unimportant and barely conscious species that we're usually not even aware of, and when we do it's just as pests invading our homes. Humans are the same to Cthulhu.
>>
File: page_1.jpg (895KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
page_1.jpg
895KB, 1988x3056px
>>84091164
They should just go ahead and adapt Providence. In a way it's entry level (audience discovers the mythos along with Robert Black), but it's complex enough for the connosieurs too.
>>
Hi
>>
File: AT7arsP7Q2-8.png (35KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
AT7arsP7Q2-8.png
35KB, 300x250px
>>84073096
>tfw someone thought my post from "Make a Lovecraftian movie on a 150 million budget."
Top jej friend
>>
>>84092037
You can't even be certain of that.
The whole point of Cthulhu and its sunken city and dread psychic emanations is how alien it is. Hell, it's implied "his" name was barked to us by beings without human vocal cords, who, as alien as they are to us, might be worshipping something they themselves don't fully comprehend. I think there's a common misconception among many of Lovecraft readers that explanations of cosmic horror forces taken from the Necronomicon, the mouth of a cultist or something lurking in the dark are things to be grasped at face value. Rather, Cthulhu is a "priest" because those cultists or Deep Ones or whatever worship and created a religion around it like a primitive might worship and anthropomorphize a volcano. It, along with many other religio-magical motifs in Lovecraftian fiction are only described as such because of an inability to correlate their context by both the contemporary protagonists and those of the past they're most often working backwards from.
>>
>>84078949
JAPAN STAHP
>>
>>84082028
>Orphan of Kos

Top 3 hardest bosses in the entire SoulsBorne series. Fuck that cunt.
>>
>>84073096
>first after credits scene: Cthulhu syphons >every human soul in a 50 mile radius.

>second post credits scene: a 250 kiloton >nuclear weapon is launch towards it. Cthulhu >freezes missile mid air and triggers the fission. >As the explosion forms itself into the initial ball >of energy, Cthulhu walks through it unscathed.
>>
>>84094113
well I fucked it up
>>
>>84073568
kek
>>
>>84077225
>calling a story under a hundred pages a "book"
>Claiming a scene where a monster is attacked and immediately defeated by means given no textual explanation besides said attack somehow means the attack was worthless on purpose.
we get it, you are a retard
>>
>>84094113
>dies by a boat being rammed into him
>"LOL, DUDE, HE CAN TOTALLY WITHSTAND A NUCLEAR WEAPON."
>"NO, I NEVER READ ANY LOVECRAFT, WHY DO YOU ASK?"
>>
>>84094647
That wasn't even his final form.
>>
>>84073096
obligatory music video this is better than any movie... your not supposed to understand that's the scary part there is no understanding you are meaningless to them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg
>>
File: banshee-chapter-01.jpg (94KB, 1200x641px) Image search: [Google]
banshee-chapter-01.jpg
94KB, 1200x641px
>>84073096
Any decent Lovecraftian horror films or whatever? The only one I ever saw was the Banshee Chapter, and that hardly qualifies as lovecraftian.
>>
>>84094874
from beyond fits the bill and I want to say phantasm has the feel of it but i dont want to enrage the nerds...
>>
>>84091891
In the center of every Galaxy, not universe, I don't think the universe even has a "center"
>>
File: OgdruJahad.png (2MB, 1240x1331px) Image search: [Google]
OgdruJahad.png
2MB, 1240x1331px
>The closest we have ever gotten to true Lovecraftian monsters in cinema was the first Hellboy film, and by extension the Ogrdu-Jahad themselves in every Hellboy story since then.

you all know I'm right. Mignola and GDT fuckin killed that shit.
>>
>>84094870
Meh, kind of sick seeing this posted as the be all end all """Lovecraftian""" horror media out there.
Ain't got nothing on the likes of Cronenberg, Junji Ito, Shinya Tsukamoto, Carpenter, Charles Burns, Clive Barker or Thomas Ligotti, and if it's rape in a pool you want, a rape in a pool you'll get in Alan Moore's Neonomicon (which is itself lifted from a mythos short I forget the name of featured in The Innsmouth Cycle).
>>
>>84095789
I'm pretty sure the whole post was meant to be a shitpost
>>
I think "A shadow over innsmouth" would make a great 90 minute flick

i love when they have a bunch of ugly inbred townspeople in films
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.