[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happens to the medium when critics no longer criticize based

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 11

File: 1493921194399.png (638KB, 972x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493921194399.png
638KB, 972x720px
What happens to the medium when critics no longer criticize based on film quality but rather political leaning?
>>
It was way better when it was called Higher Learning.
>>
>>84032669
Nothing. Critics is absolutely useless parasites
>>
>It is the only show with a majority minority cast to achieve such a perfect score
>The Wire got 96%
Woah! It's better than The Wire
>>
File: critic.jpg (22KB, 300x279px) Image search: [Google]
critic.jpg
22KB, 300x279px
>>84032669
Not so fast
>>
>>84032669
based Armond has been doing this for his whole career. A man ahead of his time, certainly.
>>
>>84032669
Criticism has never been pure.
>>
>>84032669
One of two things.

Either people stop listening to the critics and their status is diminished, or films start being made exclusively for political propaganda.
>>
>>84032708
No. It's not even in the same league.

But it's new and shiny and has pop-sociological themes. IT'S THE BEST THING UNTIL SOMETHING ELSE COMES ALONG NEXT WEEK!
>>
tv rotten tomatoes is absolute garbage

they give high scores to anything and everything
>>
>>84032669
You disregard them entirely. In this day and age trends and opinions shift in matters of hours.
>>
>>84032669
I WANT TO COLONIZE
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this show turn out to be a parody of the people who actually say "dear white people", rather than having to do with any white people critique?
>>
>>84032669
lol the only people who listen to critics are people who don't matter

literal sheep, not the sheep you used as a fedora word, but a person who forms their taste based on the opinions of others

gross
>>
>>84032877
it's both
>>
>>84032877
I have mild autism, so... maybe?
>>
>>84032753
>>84032708
That's not how Rotten Tomatoes works
>>
>>84032877
looks like she gets WHITED in the trailer
>>
>>84032669
circlejerking aside, how is the show actually?
>>
File: 1292776659474.jpg (181KB, 549x563px) Image search: [Google]
1292776659474.jpg
181KB, 549x563px
>>84032669
>paying any attention to the critics ratings on RT.

Stop it.
>>
>>84032669
the higher the score, the greater the hate

no one ever talks about an ok movie
>>
>>84032877
No, it tries to play both sides but basically just ends with White People are the actual bad ones, Blacks are just misled. Just like the movie
>>
>>84032669
She's ugly both physically and intellectually
>>
>>84033123
can't say for the show but in the movie she gets (((WHITED)))
>>
>>84032727
Armond takes everything as political, but he doesn't necessarily rate something badly because it has opposing views to his.
>>
I finally watched it due to black gf and I'm actually surprised it's not blatantly sjw or race-baiting garbage, the title itself is race-baiting garbage though.

The sad thing is the title is probably the only reason the show found any success.
>>
>>84033153
A gay nigger journalist faps to his muscular black roommate giving him a haircut. This same black muscular roommate has an affair with a lesbian in a committed relationship. The girl in the poster is a hypocrite that sleeps with a white cuck. And there's a show within the show about a black secretary giving the white president a blowjob. Stopped watching after the 3rd episode because it's so divorced from reality and common sense
>>
>>84032697
OFF THE CHARTS IRONING
>>
>>84032669
It becomes the "in" thing to do until the politically-repelled counterculturists come in and point out how stupid and useless the practice is.

God, the day when people start telling partisan loudmouths how fucking pathetic they are en masse will be glorious.
>>
>>84033439
But everyone has been telling /pol/acks how fucking pathetic they are for years
>>
File: 1478184967665.jpg (25KB, 300x407px) Image search: [Google]
1478184967665.jpg
25KB, 300x407px
>>84032877
anyone who responded to this post to tell you it played both sides was lying; dear white people NEVER paints blacks in a bad light during it at all. at every point of the show whitey is being shown as an idiot, a moron, unworthy of living (some white frat bro in it has an entire 5 minute skit dedicated to him being a moron wherein he dies at the end and nobody mourns him because he made a racist joke against a black person once) or otherwise incompetent, while blacks are always painted as the good guys, the smart guys, the clever guys, etc

basically, don't watch it. or, well, do, if you like being angry
>>
>>84033464
You're both pathetic, stop shitting up the threads with your autism and try staying on topic.
>>
>>84033526
Yeah man, it's totally TEH LIBRULZ who for some reason come here just to get shitposted by underage autists shitting this board and not /pol/acks and /r9k/ permavirgins bitching every time a woman or a minority has more than 3 lines in a film
>>
>>84033565
You're the one who brought in your retarded kneejerk tribalism right out of the blue. If you want to pretend to be morally superior than at least try and act like you're actually the less annoying of the two.
>>
>>84032669
It's not just critics, it is the entire field of journalism that has been flooded with narcissism. Previously a journalist would be a impartial person and there would be a few opinionated people regulated to those opinion pieces, the clickbaits of old media. Now the entire medium has flipped and there is tiny parts of impartial information, you have to read four different opinion pieces to understand what actually happened. Everyone just tries to push their "morals" on people because these people have no problems in today's society. Morality has become the new opiate of the upper class that they are trying to sell to everyone else.
>>
>>84033123
>>84033259
I wonder if you Goys know that this is still racemixing and the kid will still be a mentally retarded nigger.
>>
>>84033662
Well you see
>>84033742

Do I seem annoying? Do I bring race and shiet into every little facet of life? I don;t give a mother fuck, they do and won't shut the fuck up about it
>>
maybe now people will finally stop using Rotten Tomatoes as the "final verdict" for whether a movie is good or not.

The same way we all stopped pretending imdb knew anything about movies.
>>
>>84033464
> everyone

You mean the five same retards spamming the same pictures for about a year? /tv/ is overwhelmingly right-wing. Feel free to fuck off to reddit
>>
File: rt.png (231KB, 1093x937px) Image search: [Google]
rt.png
231KB, 1093x937px
>rare 100%

There are literally more shows airing right now with 100% ratings than there are shows with under 90%.
>>
>>84033764
I only follow Kermode and RLM for the mainstream shit. In the end, if the zeitgeist dictates your opinion on a film one way or another you're a fucking pleb.
>>
ITT: people who haven't watched a show cry about it anyway
>>
>>84033799
Am I disturbing your safespace anon-kun?
>>
>>84033860
Welcome to /tv/
>>
>>84033799
Not really, there's just a few autistic losers who cry about everything making it appear that the board is full of alt right faggots. They spam their crybaby bullshit here all day every day but most think they're stupid. They tend to mention reddit a lot.
>>
>>84032722
Save us Armond White!
>>
>>84033829
>letting RLM dictate your opinion instead

Fucking pleb
>>
>>84033907
If you're implying that includes him, yes, yes you're right.
>>
>>84032669

This kind of criticism is only a problem if the producers recognize it as valid and make movies to accommodate to that kind of distorted childish POV.

There is nothing wrong with diversity by itself, the problem is when the subtext turns to text and the movie turns into a political statement where having a race or sexual diversity is it's only value.

This means that the political statement about society by itself is not really the decisive factor on making a movie good or bar.

A good movie with a female or black lead will still be a good movie while a bad movie with a female or black lead will still be a bad movie. It's mostly irrelevant.
>>
>>84033761
You're an idiot who feeds the trolls and doesn't understand why they keep coming. It's called ignoring shit, figure it out.

I'd hoped that people smart enough not to buy into /pol/-ism would likewise know the basics of how 4chan--and the Internet in general--actually works, but it's like you people can't stop being shocked at this stuff. I actually expected better of you and all I've felt is constant disappointment when you morons take the bait again and again and again.
>>
>>84032912
Critics are fine if you use them appropriately. You find one whose opinions you agree with then they sort of filter the shit out. Pity is every critic has the same opinion these days because journalists only hire like minded people. Same reason HR always pushes the same agendas.
>>
File: eisenach.jpg (79KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
eisenach.jpg
79KB, 600x450px
>>84033982
If I don't take the bait someone will
>>
File: 1487822530225.png (83KB, 1206x250px) Image search: [Google]
1487822530225.png
83KB, 1206x250px
>>84033907
Lol sure thing you worthless redditor newfaggot. The only people on here who are comfortable with forced diversity are shitskins or self-loathing bleeding heart faggots. This board is inherently right-wing, your defense of reddit says enough
>>
>there are no right-wing or centrist critics
For fuck's sake, I've seen enough threads or posts saying "I'm not watching this just because of the name" to know none of you even bothered watching it.
Also, to the guy who's going to reply that he did and it's nothing but leftist politic trash fuck you, don't lie.
>>
>>84033982
Let's see if someone takes the bait now. I sure won't
>>
>>84034084
You know, I've never actually been to reddit but it's times like this when I'm considering giving it a try. How worse can it be? At least those fags watched the movies they're talking about I assume.
>>
>>84034084
>there are no right-wing or centrist critics
They are outnumbered in a ratio of 10 to 1.
>>
>>84034174
So... you want quotas?
>>
>>84033170
>just dont pay attention to complete overthrow of blockbuster movies
okay , you know mummy movie bombed because of this right? and the wonder woman movie succeeded because of political leanings, and literally nothing else
>>
True film criticism died with Ebert
>>
>>84034164
Nah, they just spout left-wing ideals instead of right-wing ones. Diversity is good etc. If you say "fags" on there you get banned.
>>
>>84034059
>forced diversity
What did he mean by this?
What the fuck does anybody mean by this? Seriously, there's a whole bunch of different races on a college campus? Yeah man, totally doesn't happen, so forced.
>>
>>84033860
>Don't knock it till you try it, goyem.
>>
>>84034296
Do they watch the films in question? Where do I find a fucking place to discuss a film without political cretins or autists shitting it up?
>>
>>84034164
I peruse Reddit a lot and honestly prefer 4chan for everything sans news because our board for that is somehow even worse than Reddit's endless outrage circlejerks. At least calling someone out won't be buried under a hundred dislikes or, more likely, some 16-year old making a stupid joke and a bunch of tweens playing along for half the thread.
>>
>>84034298
STOP TAKING THE FUCKING BAIT GOD DAMN IT
>>
>>84034356
try a film set
>>
>>84034298
Is representation more important than artistic integrity?
>>
>>84034446
literally everything is more important than artistic integrity. whatever the hell that is
>>
>>84033742
I remember seeing a chart somewhere about racemixing between wm/bf and their children didn't have the same crime rates and low iq as bm/wf. Might have something to do with male nigger generally going for the dumbest white woman while female niggers usually end up with smart guys.
>>
>>84034497
> smart
> ending up with sheboons
>>
>>84034446
>he says, bitching that he doesn't get represented enough
>>
>>84034531
smart IQ wise, silly. Also said black woman tend to be the ones with the higher IQs as well.
>>
I actually watched this crap.
It plays like the guy who wrote it actually believes all white people should apologise for slavery.
It's pretty fucking bad.
The main characters literally get offended when people sing along to nigger rap where nigga is sung
>>
>>84034685
well he is a gay nigger. not even joking.
>>
>>84034741
Reggie isn't gay, I think
>>
>>84034766
who's reggie?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/25/justin-simien-im-black-im-a-man-im-gay-but-im-more-than-all-of-those-things
>>
>>84034205
No I want film criticism about the film and its qualities, not for a whole medium to be dragged down into modern identity politics bullshit.
>>
>>84034893
One of the characters

>When 96% of backers won’t take a look because it has black characters. That is the definition of institutional racism
This is great.
It's not because of the black characters people don't watch this shit.
It's because it's legitimate fucking garbage
>>
>>84032669
>What happens to the medium when critics no longer criticize based on film quality but rather political leaning?
Says the person who never watched the movie and dislikes it because of his political leanings
>>
>>84034924
So censorship?
>>
>>84034685
I still watch Orange is the New Black, I don't know why but I do. There was an episode this year with a backstory of one of the characters that essentially argued that the reason blacks do so poorly on the SAT is because all white students go to private schools with uniforms and expensive libraries and technology and blacks don't even have working computers. It was the most self-serving, preachy, asinine bullshit I've ever seen and I imagine most liberals read that shit and fawned all over it
>>
>>84034934
totally got where i went wrong. yeah, meant the writer was gay.
>>
>>84035008
I have watched all but the latest season of OITNB.
If I wanna get mad at the current state of American television is it worth watching it too?
>>
>>84032741
>films start being made exclusively for political propaganda.
>start
hello, you must be from 2010
>>
>>84034978
What the fuck are you talking about? With that mindset film criticism itself is a form of censorship.
>>
>>84034978
>wanting people to get over partisan bullshit is now censorship
>>
>>84035114
JEJ

Explain yourself nikka, what do you want and how do you wanna achieve it?
>>
Maybe watch it and form your own opinions? If not, move on with your life.
>>
>>84033525
racist!!!
>>
>>84035161
No, you have to get angry first. Don't do something about it, not really, just bitch on a Malaysian Noodle Soup Enthusiast Emporium.

>>84035131
You never drop your partisan bullshit so why would they, especially since they're the majority in the field.
>>
hey

pst

it was always like that, you just don't like what they are saying now and you wish you could consider it "a valid opinion" as you thought of the previous supposedly neutral critics of the past
>>
>>84035261
This is what happens when moronic gaymers get dragged into a political scuffle that is so above them it might as well be the Kuiper Belt. Dragged by a man who was calling them permavirgin manchildren 3-4 years ago
>>
Since most of you probably haven't seen it (don't) let me just confirm, show is terrible. Every single character literally speaks like a huffington post article and the plot glides from one contrived "TOLD U SO" situation to the next. "the Get Down" was a much better recent show covering similar issues without entering cringe territory too often
>>
>>84035075
This season has been specifically bad in its political overtones and SJW bullshit. I feel like before this year they always treated it with a grain of salt, these were ignorant prisoners for the most part so they didn't know what they were talking about, but now it's like half the cast is #WOKE and they're rising up against not only the guards but all white males everywhere.

The only non-leftist political point they made was calling Muslims polygamists which even then they tried to paint in a good light.
>>
>>84033810
This, adding TV to RT was a big mistake.
>>
>>84035379
This is wrong on so many levels it's astounding.
>>
>>84032669
this shit bases an a huge strawman. How is that possible?
>>
>>84032669
has not it always been the case?
>>
>>84033810
do people just rate shows they enjoy as excessively high regardless of its quality, do people think that enjoyment=quality ?
>>
>>84033810
The reviewers get payed to give higher ratings
>>
>>84035502
oh yeah? I'm curious, how so? I'm willing to admit maybe I was wrong but there were some plotlines this year on OITNB that were insufferable political garbage.
>>
>>84034263

>muh star critic

He was backed by the same media and was mostly a pleb
>>
>>84035008
You can't deny that that's partly true, though. Blacks are more likely to live in low income neighborhoods, go to poorer schools with shittier teachers and resources, and end up doing worse on standardized tests. But it's also been shown that blacks with the exact same resources as whites (suburban public schools with bussing) tend to do worse on average as well. There are many factors at play, but none of them are whitey's fault and I don't think that white people should try to "lift up" black people from ghettos, they should work hard and do it themselves.
>>
>>84035299
Hello Neogaf. Keep fighting the good fight.
>>
>>84032669
It's like this with every single cultural medium, not just film. The entire world is fucked. Has been for years.
>>
>>84032669
Politics taints every medium, always has

Nothing exists in a vacuum
>>
>>84037427
I'm not saying that blacks aren't disadvantaged or that inner city schools aren't noticeably worse, the problem I had with the episode is they pretended that the reason white students do better is because they go to private schools with SAT prep courses. Fuck that, the vast majority of whites go to public schools, and the whites who do go to inner city schools still score higher on SAT than their black classmates. There is a noticeable racial gap on SAT scores even if you account for family income:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/2999198

The richest black students score slightly lower SAT scores on average than the poorest white students.

And the biggest problem I had with this storyline was that we've tried giving black students top-of-the-line schools with advanced technology, sports facilities, more teachers, etc. and the results were that these students performed the exact same as blacks in inner city impoverished schools:
https://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/money-school-performance-lessons-kansas-city-desegregation-experiment

The reason blacks don't perform as well as whites is predominantly explained by the fact that 3 out of 4 black children are born out of wedlock and 57% of them grow up with an absent biological father. There is a noticeable and undeniable
http://scholarworks.wmich.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1044&context=hilltopreview

But of course we just have to pretend that all white kids go to elite private Ivy League-prep schools and all blacks go to impoverished inner city schools with broken computers. I think one of my favorite scenes in The Wire is in season 4 when Prezbo and Dukie are in the basement and they find brand new textbooks that are far better than the ones they have upstairs, yet they're sealed and in the box, along with computers that no one bothered to install. This illustrated it's not always that city schools don't have the proper funding but they don't have people willing to implement the funding.
>>
>>84033810
sad
>>
>>84038182
I agree. I'm not sure where the delusion comes from that white people somehow live on a mountain surrounded by an electric fence where they get all the resources and purposefully don't share any with the poor widdle black people in the valley, but the majority of blacks and whites are on equal economic footing and there's still a gap. Really makes you think
>>
File: plotwasavehicle.png (8KB, 711x142px) Image search: [Google]
plotwasavehicle.png
8KB, 711x142px
I don't know, but you need to leave the Terry fuck alone right now.
These plebs make it seem like there's no demand for art-house film anymore.
In America, we have
>Malick
>Harmony Korine
>...James Franco
literally who else? on the feature-length level?
>>
>>84038282
Actually things aren't on equal footing and blacks still do poorly. It's kind of sad that even with racist legislation in place to only benefit blacks they still fail. It really puts a damper on the blacks that are actually productive members of society. How is someone to know at face value that they deserve the position they have? Did they truly earn it? That seed of doubt is on all minds. They can never overcome that now.
>>
>>84032722
He black and a classical libshit. He has full immunity.

>>84032669
Not only out of political leanings but fear of being called racist.
>>
>>84032722
Armond kind of like the movie though.

https://www.out.com/entertainment/armond-white/2014/10/17/dear-white-people-campus-identity-crisis-funny-frustrating
>>
>>84038492
Herzog
>>
>>84038737
Oh shit, I guess he is American now
>>
>>84035261
Do you have proof, or is this just the usual smug Reddit conjecture?
>>
>>84032669
Me and my husband fucking down voted that. Not because we are racist but because it was a high school maturity level show dressed in a college gown. It's so funny how many people thought it was good and thought provoking. Saved by the Bell had more emotional maturity.

It belongs on MTV as the black peoples version of Awkward. Not a show that starts deep conversations about racism and ethics. It was all stupid tawdry shit and no substance.

I'm so tired of celebrating untalented and unfunny people because of feelings. I want off this ride.
>>
>>84032669
what would black people do without white people to complain about?
>>
>>84039403
shoot each other
>>
File: 5c2[1].jpg (30KB, 499x474px) Image search: [Google]
5c2[1].jpg
30KB, 499x474px
>>84039245
>Me and my husband
>>
File: black thinking.jpg (33KB, 441x396px) Image search: [Google]
black thinking.jpg
33KB, 441x396px
>>84039467
>>
File: obama.png (546KB, 595x719px) Image search: [Google]
obama.png
546KB, 595x719px
>a TV show
>100%
>Rotten Tomatoes score
>"rare"
>>
>>84039245
>Me and my husband
>>84039481

the easiest way to make sure you are being gramatically correct when speaking about yourself and others is to temporarily yemove the other person from the sentence

here the example is :
"Me and my husband fucking down voted that."
removing the husband from the sentence we are left with :
"Me fucking down voted that."
clearly this is incorrect, the correct form would be :
"I fucking down voted that"
therefore the original should be replaced with
"I and my husband fucking down voted that"

commonly (and for politeness) the other party would be listed before you list yourself leaving:

"My husband and I fucking down voted that."

thanks for listening, come back next time to learn when to use who/whom.
>>
>>84032669
>What happens to the medium when critics no longer criticize based on film quality but rather political leaning?

"Get Out" gets a fucking perfect rating despite the plot amounting to literally nothing more than a race swapped version of "Skeleton Key"?
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.