[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the appeal? it's mostly just random characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: Do_the_Right_Thing_poster.png (204KB, 260x384px) Image search: [Google]
Do_the_Right_Thing_poster.png
204KB, 260x384px
what's the appeal?
it's mostly just random characters getting irrationally angry, literally every scene is a shouting match. it's like he read a book that said films need conflict, and didn't really understand the advice, so thought conflict meant shouting. first i was thinking it was to show tension between races, but they yell at their own kin too. all this hostility is making me anxious :(
and most of the dialogue is characters saying what they feel (they're angry generally speaking) and what they think (they want the other one to shut up man); it's like he didn't read the chapter on on-the-nose dialogue in that film book. and a lot of time is spent letting the audience know it's a hot day for some reason.
>>
It's terrible, I agree. People liked it for the novelty of a relatively big-budget movie made by a black director, but there have been better since.
>>
>>83972425
You don't think heat might make people more angry? It's not that hard of a concept to understand holy shit. Plus people in big cities (esp. NYC) tend to be way more open and immediate about their feelings. No time for passive aggression when a bunch of people are blocking your path every day.
>>
>>83972425
>implying Amerikuka isnt just a bunch of angry minorities

kek
>>
>>83972577
Want to know how I know you're a darkie?
>>
>>83972425
If you think the dialogue here is bad just watch Clockers. It's like an after school special version of The Wire
>>
Spike Lee is the worst director who's considered a somebody in Hollywood.
>>
>>83972425
>watching A Spike Lee Joint

That was your first mistake.
>>
It was an expression of the tension of race relations in major cities in the 80's that beyond pent up at that time. Only 2 years later it exploded after the rodney king beating verdict.
>>
>>83972425
Do the Right Thing is an ensemble movie, so it has a lot of different characters that serve as "vignettes" as the focus shifts. To me, the movie never lags because it's constantly showing off the different personalities of the neighborhood, while just being a very ordinary, though extra hot summer day. There's also many obscure references to the late-80s culture at the time, which makes it an essential viewing for anyone interested in the social issues of that time period. The authenticity of the performances is also a highlight, though I have to single out Danny Aiello and Ossie Davis as the most powerful. On the contrast, Spike Lee's limitations as a leading man are really exposed, and I consider it the only flaw of the movie. Add to that a bright orange look that burns a hole into your vision, and really makes you feel the heat that these characters all feel.

Also, the ending, which everyone has already discussed to death.
>>
File: radio raheem.jpg (101KB, 576x320px) Image search: [Google]
radio raheem.jpg
101KB, 576x320px
>>83973019
Yeah, Spike Lee as the lead is the only really weak spot. The movie is actually pretty good and all the acting is excellent.
>>
>>83973019
I also like that it's a gear shift movie similar to Something Wild or Boogie Nights. If you knew nothing about it and had only seen Spike Lee's previous films, you would think you were watching a comedy for the first half of the film. Then it gradually gets darker until the end. Most people in '89 had a 'holy shit' reaction to it. Siskel and Ebert devoted an entire show to breaking it down.
>>
You're indirectly praising the movie and what was Spike Lee trying to accomplish, the heat, the anxiety, the annoyance. Many things could be said about the guy but the movie was well directed.
>>
>>83972577
>>83973019
>>83973118
>>83973134
>>83973143
NEVER post in my threads again if you don't agree with me
>>
>>83973118
that nigga died last year
>>
File: Spike.jpg (1MB, 2072x2493px) Image search: [Google]
Spike.jpg
1MB, 2072x2493px
>>83972425
>ROSIE PEREZ: My first experience (with being nude on camera), of course, was ''Do the Right Thing.'' And I had a big problem with it, mainly because I was afraid of what my family would think -- that's what was really bothering me.

>I also didn't feel good about it because the atmosphere wasn't correct. And when Spike Lee puts ice cubes on my nipples, the reason you don't see my head is because I'm crying. I was like, I don't want to do this. I felt like Irene Cara in ''Fame.'' It was like, Wait a minute, I feel so wimpy, this is not who I am. So that was my first experience, and it was horrible.
>>
>>83973454
He deserved it.
>>
>>83973623
fucking Spike.
>>
>>83973454
Wrong, he was clearly killed by the policemen in the end of the movie
>>
ELVIS, WAS A HERO TO MOST
>>
>>83972425
Spike is afraid of silence. He's always got music (by his father) on the soundtrack because he's afraid you'll fall asleep if there isn't some noise at all times.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.