[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tried to use satire and irony to criticize fascism and point

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 29

>tried to use satire and irony to criticize fascism and point out things about American culture

>ends up being loved to the opposite of its effect

Has there ever been a film that's failed as spectacularly as Starship Troopers has in trying to get across its message?
>>
I hate to break it to you, but not everybody is as retarded as you seemingly are, dipshit
>>
>>83890704
the book did a better job, a retard with a pool noodle emblazoned with "fascism is bad" could do a better job
>>
Never really got this line of thinking. Almost everybody Rico truly loved is dead by the end of the movie, he's stuck with the cheating bitch.
He didn't even want to be in the military.
>>
>Implying America won't become fascist the moment the Weimerica Republic ends
>>
>>83890704
Wolf of Wallstreet

Who would have thought showcasing extravagance and ambition isn't the best way denounce envy and impulse.
>>
>>83890758
>getting triggered over a movie being misinterpreted because of its clumsy portrayal

Ahhh, lib-cucks, your tears are always delicious. And no, I'm smarter than you, that's just a plain fact, sweety.
>>
>>83890758
>>83890789
You guys need to ask yourselves who the fans of this movie are today. Who watches the shit out of this movie? Who quotes it? Who actually owns it?
Are they lefty urban sophisticates? Are they the intellectual elite? The educated? The sophisticated?
Or are they in fact something else entirely??
>>
Starship troopers is the antithesis of The Producers.
>>
>>83890704
There are very few people that don't like this film.
This is one of those things that's almost universally liked.
>>
>>83890909
It's a good and fun movie even divorced from any political messages you can get out of it though. It's hardly the fascist icon you make it out to be.
>>
Was she the worst actor of all time with her "thank you for picking United Airlines" smile?
>>
>>83890788
>the book did a better job

Heinlein's political views by the time of Starship Troopers were routinely Conservative. The book did not promote any anti-fascist propaganda. It was all mostly in earnest.
>>
>if I miss the point of the film this means the film failed
I don't get this attitude.

I'm guessing it comes from people who flunk tests far too often.
>>
>>83890909
This, actually.
I'm a christian reactionary/fascist and this is one of my favourite films.
I've never met a leftie that's even heard of this movie but all my friends love it.
>>
>>83890964
>It's a good and fun movie
See? If you picked up on the supposed 'satire', you couldn't possibly say this. The 'satire' failed: this movie is a glowing tribute to fascist propaganda, because it proves that fascist propaganda actually works.
>>
>>83891041
>If you picked up on the supposed 'satire', you couldn't possibly say this
Why?
>>
>>83890909
>Are they lefty urban sophisticates? Are they the intellectual elite? The educated? The sophisticated?

Love all the oxy-morons you included in that. It really drives home the paradoxical irony of the film, or trying to criticize right wingers while simultaneously promoting their ideologies.
>>
>>83891041
Satire isn't divorced from fun. If anything, it's tightly wrapped around it.
>>
>>83890928
I can dig it.
>>
>>83891056
The 'good' and 'fun' bits. You wouldn't consider those elements of the film entertainment without being thoroughly indoctrinated into fascist thinking. You are a fascist; you just don't realize it. Because the indoctrination and propaganda have gone right past your conscious reasoning, into your core self. If you consider fascist propaganda to be 'entertaining', then you are a fascist by definition.
>>
>>83891009
OP didn't miss the point, he even acknowledge it, the movie failed in its attemp to satire
>>
>>83891142
So, what you're saying is that you are unable to differentiate reality from fiction.

I suggest looking into seeing a psychiatrist multiple times a week.
>>
>>83891143
You're your own perception of the film onto other people. Claiming "people love it for other reasons besides the satire" is hardly groundbreaking news, anyway.

How many finals do you fail on average, OP? Bet you think it's the teacher's fault.
>>
I never liked satirical movies. They're the very definition of playing the same joke for far too long. I mean I get it; it's satire. This is over the top and pokes fun at fascism. I really do get it movie. I still don't care about the characters (but they're over the top and bad ON PURPOSE), nor the story. Two hours of the same joke kind of kills it
>>
File: 1476297667381[1].jpg (38KB, 426x960px) Image search: [Google]
1476297667381[1].jpg
38KB, 426x960px
>>83891142
>You're a fascist because you believe in contributing to a society!

>You're a fascist because you believe in having personal responsibility for your actions!

>You're a fascist because you don't think war should end forever!
>>
>>83891142
Not really, you seem like an unreasonable man.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>fascism and conditional rights to vote are bad mmmkay

this is what the average liberal turns into when talking about right wing concepts
>>
>>83891229
OP Here. I've already got a degree and working on my second.

lul
>>
>>83891202
>>83891229
>>83891286
Closeted fascists.
>>83891251
I'm arguing for your side, idiot. Stop helping the libtards.
>>
>>83891449
I don't know, if that anon missed the point of your post it's pretty much confirmed you failed to make a point.
>>
It was just a shit movie in general, desu
>>
>Because some people didn't get, the movie failed!

People don't understand stories and messages all the time, just look at prosperity gospel preachers with the Bible or wiccans with Lord of the Rings. It doesn't mean that the work is intrinsically wrong, just that there are stupid people.
>>
>>83890704
It didn't fail. American audiences are just really, really stupid.
>>
>>83890704

I don't think the film tried to mock fascism. If you look at some of the scenes, like the class scene with the 'history of moral philosophy', the professor argues that violence solves problems. He punks out that one girl and she shuts up.

I think the film was just over the top and not trying to argue for or be against fascism. It was just "fuck yeah, Starship troopers!" more than anything because it was the 90s and people weren't as faggoty and uptight as they are today.
>>
>>83890788
Only you didn't actually read the book it seems.
>>
File: 1496220963155.jpg (159KB, 780x796px) Image search: [Google]
1496220963155.jpg
159KB, 780x796px
>>83891493
Oh, kid - that's sweet that you want to play! But you're mad, and I don't play with buttblasted libtards....
>>
>>83891315
What's your degree in boy? I got my old engineering books to see if you really earned that shit.
>>
>>83890704
Where on the autism spectrum did your therapist place you? 'Cause I'm guessing somewhere around Asperger's.
>>
>>83891559
It was very clearly mocking facism and militaristic societies. In that same class scene you have the teacher maimed from wars like all of the older characters, plus with the heavy hinting that the Humans attacked the bugs first all paints the whole system as less than ideal.
>>
>>83891527
It's a matter of MOST people, though, not some. Liberals are not fans of this movie; rednecks and gun-nuts ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT AND WATCH IT REPEATEDLY.
Are a bunch of women gonna watch this? No. Gays? No. Beer-guzzlin' wifebeaters? You betcha!
>>
>>83890789
>>83890909
I pretty much only remember her tits.
>>
>>83891659
Where are you coming up with these claims? Starship Troopers has high user reviews on most liberal sites you fucking inbred
>>
>>83891142
this is some quality bait friend
>>
>>83891658
But anon: the fascist military society won. They were the heroes. The audience never for one second cheered for the bugs.
>>
>>83891142
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
>>
>>83891659
Most people are stupid as fuck, that doesn't make a whole fucking lick of difference, Most people can't point out Vietnam on a map. Besides, i'm leftish and loved the movie as well as other decidedly liberal people I know.
>>
>>83891596
>he didn't spot the satire in that post
this is ironic on so many layers it's not even funny
>>
>>83891700
Different anon here.
One of the final lines is 'It's afraid!' while the bug has a very human-esque terrified expression on its face.
Either way, nothing you said precludes satire.
>>
>>83891758
but those tits
>>
>>83890909
everyone loves starship troopers because it's entertaining and has the perfect amount of cheese

why are you trying to make this some kind of weird political underdog victory thing
>>
>>83891700
So? Them winning wasn't portrayed as a good thing. Their society was violent and jingoistic, and by the very end it's obvious that the bugs were actually afraid of them. They cheer when that one guy says "It's afraid!"
>>
>>83891700
So? INGSOC wins in 1984, bad guys win in stories sometimes, the point was that the film shows how the fascist society is awful in subtle ways, like everybody above recruitable age being maimed and scarred, the cheery but slightly disturbing propaganda videos, the implication that the government started the war and does not give a single shit about the masses of cannon fodder, like Rico and everyone from Buenos Aires, who would and die.
>>
>>83891698
ty
>>83891697
But do they watch the shit out of it? Are they frothing-at-the-mouth fans of it, like the 'inbreds' are? No.
>>83891735
fascist
>>83891738
Oh, kiddo......yer drowning..........
>>83891758
>>83891758
But anon: the moviemakers CHOSE to make the 'enemy' bugs. BUGS. "Bugs" is how every fascist system refers to its opponents. If the moviemakers wanted to make a satire, then they would NOT have made the 'bad guys' bugs. They would have humanized them in some way, to point out the fallacious thinking in fascist ideology. The filmmakers did not do this; they chose to make the badguys into literal bugs.
That's not satire: that's full-blown fascism.
>>
File: dizzy.jpg (137KB, 704x384px) Image search: [Google]
dizzy.jpg
137KB, 704x384px
>Dizz will never be your gf
End it lads
>>
>>83891854
I just gave you a scene in which they were humanised. You're not listening to me.
>>
>>83891658
>In that same class scene you have the teacher maimed from wars like all of the older characters,

that was actually in the book

they were meant to scare people off or something like that,
>>
>>83891852
In 1984 the audience is sad that INGSOC breaks his mind; in Starship Troopers, the audience is cheering that humanity stomped the bugs.
Big difference.
>>
>>83891854
Again, the movie humanizes the bugs, that was the whole point of the ending scene. Are you incapable of understanding sarcasm or anything subtle at all?
>>
>>83891883
Oh, I listened: your 'example' is a stretch, to put it mildly. No one remembers the sad brainbug: they remember starship troopers wasting inhuman bugs. With glee.
>>
>>83891943
Low quality bait
>>
>>83891943
If you're just going to disregard my points we really don't have much to discuss man. The brainbug scene is important because after a whole movie of inhuman bugs, you realise they actually do have thoughts and feelings.
>>
>>83891889
I know it is, but Verhoeven subverted the books with the whole anti-militaristic message, I doubt he didn't focus on it just for shits and giggles.
>>
>>83891854
But they were humanized, at the very end. The fact that they were humanized just emphasizes the fact that the only reason why they were slaughtered at all was because they looked different, when in reality they are capable of feeling what we feel.
>>
>>83891883
weakness is for the subhumans
>>
>>83891920
Again, this lame-assed 'humanization' you speak of is an afterthought in the movie. It happens AFTER the main plot, after all the action. It's like it was put in the movie JUST TO GIVE YOU LIBTARDS AN EXCUSE TO LIKE IT.
And you loved it, anon, didn't you?
Because, deep down, you are a fascist. You have already been indoctrinated, and you don't know it...
>>
>>83891893
Where are you getting this whole audience shit from man, in about every review or piece of media involving the film they mention the satire aspect of it. I'm sure there are people who took it at face value but Starship Troopers was a cult film that flopped at the box office, the reason its remembered is for the satire.
>>
>>83892018
it was put there literally to criticize fascism, you're retarded
>>
>>83892018
You don't have to deliberately be inflammatory just because you've run out of points to make.
>>
>>83892018

go to bed zizek
>>
>>83892018
Low quality b8
There's a scene where they make a point to show the very human-esqe eye of one of the bugs, as it lays on the ground
They hint that the humans attacked first, causing the war
They show that every scientific advancement made has been done to find more efficient ways to kill the bugs, rather than attempting to communicate
The final scene, with the brain bug, is done to wink at the audience, it's probably the one time the movie really shows their hand

If you are too obtuse too understand it, I don't know what to tell you my man
>>
>>83892018
Because it forces you to question everything you were told and shown in the beginning of the movie. It makes you realize that everything in the beginning was just obvious propaganda and the society just wants an excuse to kill and conquer shit
>>
>>83891449
>I'm arguing for your side, idiot

Top 10 anime betrayals
>>
>>83890704
I first saw this movie as a kid and I loved it.

Now I'm older and I've discovered nationalism and I love it.
>>
>>83892018
Ok man I get that you have some agenda where you want to make everyone who likes this movie into some closeted fascist but if Verhoeven wanted to make a pro-militaristic or pro-fascist film why even bother with the satire and subvert the film right at the end and subtly throughout? Why not just adapt Starship troopers directly? Why undermine your own message? Also, why is a movie that failed at the box office some huge hit for "rednecks", I realize this is anecdotal but whenever somebody loves Starship Troopers they always mention the satire as a key feature of the film.
>>
>>83892054
>>83892073
>spoonfeed me my opinions
>>83892098
Hey, you are up to speed! Very good.
>>83892110
And yet you responded....oi
>human-esqe eye
It was a big black orb, not human at all. You're reaching for facts.
>hint humans attacked first
When? Where? What's the line??
>every advancement to kill the bugs
No - remember the televised debaters? The woman mentioned brain bugs, and the man discarded her opinion out-of-hand. And the reporter mentioned a 'live and let live' attitude. So the movie pointed out deliberately that the human society was reasonable, with reasonable people within it.
>the final scene
The final scene was added to help you stomach the indoctrination - you accepted the fascist ideology because it had a nice cherry on top that satisfied your conscious ideology. But subconsciously, you have a very different ideology.
>>
>>83891860
Ugly pancake titties
>>
>>83892445
>When? Where? What's the line??
Its alongside the colonization stuff, the government was settling bug planets and agitated the bugs, the bugs are not entirely innocent per se but the government lied about being attacked for no reason, compare it to the Gleiwitz incident in effect despite the slightly differenty origins. If you need to be spoonfed you can read this, http://www.avclub.com/article/paul-verhoeven-14078. You're doing a really poor aping of the Pervert's guide my friend, try something else.

If this is bait though, I applaud you.
>>
>>83892706
>Its alongside the colonization stuff, the government was settling bug planets and agitated the bugs,
You're making shit up.
And you shouldn't talk about spoonfeeding when you have obviously been spoonfed your erroneous ideas from the one person most inclined to be deceptive about his purposes...
Like, seriously: you think he's going to claim he made fascist propaganda? The poor guy may not even be aware of what he's doing - but he made a brilliantly fascist film. This is what happens when you grow up in a fascist regime: you are made fascist without realizing it.
>>
>>83890704
Fight Club
>>
ITT: alt-right """""""logic"""""""
>>
File: metaphor for islam.webm (355KB, 224x400px) Image search: [Google]
metaphor for islam.webm
355KB, 224x400px
>>83892973
>actually, I'm on the bugs' side because I'm enlightened
>>
File: american history x.png (377KB, 936x718px) Image search: [Google]
american history x.png
377KB, 936x718px
American History X
>>
>>83893049
Hey, stay cucked, closet-fascist. Stay controlled and weak.
>>
>>83892937
Cease with your paranoid delusions, you overestimate the power of fascism. If Verhoeven is a secret facist why would he subtly shit on facism in the film? Wouldn't he make a very anti-facist movie instead, one that secretly promotes facism? I'm really sorry that you can't understand subtleness, but the movie's adored by its fans for the satire of militaristic society. You'd have a better case if you were talking about any of the sequels, those are much more facist-leaning than the first film ever could be.
>>
>>83893170
This
>>
>>83890704
>if I pretend to be retarded maybe I'll have a point
kek
>>
Can we talk about the real tragedy of the movie and it is the only good movie in its series?
>>
>>83891683
>not remembering peak Amy Smart
pleb
>>
>>83890788
the book doesn't age as well as the film desu
>>
ITT the mentally retarded debate eachother
>>
>>83893233
>the movie's adored by its fans for the satire of militaristic society.
Really? They don't adore it for the action? It's the satire that engages fans??
Funny, but I have yet to hear of anyone who watches it for the satire...for the action, sure; Brazil is a far more effective satire, yet FAR more people adore Starship Troopers.
>>
File: made me the man I am.webm (3MB, 1500x813px) Image search: [Google]
made me the man I am.webm
3MB, 1500x813px
>>
File: i'm doing my part.webm (3MB, 1500x813px) Image search: [Google]
i'm doing my part.webm
3MB, 1500x813px
>>
It's almost like these tiny little snippets of 'satire' completely counteract the film's overall effect...
But it's more like these snippets were included to allow the fascist message to enter your mind unopposed...
>>
Starship Troopers (the movie, not the book) is a test for the Audiance: are you gullible enough to be taken in by fascist propaganda?

The movie presents horrible things in a super cheery and fun way. If you are looking at the world presented and thinking to yourself "oh yeah that's cool" then you are an idiot who is easily distracted by face-value messages and stylish production value. The movie opens with shot for shot remake of scenes from Trimuph of the Will.
>>
File: 915Aja1W_CL._SY445_.jpg (54KB, 313x445px) Image search: [Google]
915Aja1W_CL._SY445_.jpg
54KB, 313x445px
>>83890704
>Tried to portray elite cops as ruthless bandit murderes and depicted college students as Stoners, the movie was to set up how ruthless and bad cops are.. turn out everybody loved thrm and hated criminals and Stoners. They corrected the Record on the Second movie.
>>
File: igthy.jpg (144KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
igthy.jpg
144KB, 1920x1040px
>>83891860
>I got to have you, Johnny
>>
>>83894174
You know what's really sad? That all those guys are actors. Physical humans. Extras either paid or doing it for free. Now? This scene in the remake is going to be CGI.
>>
>>83894409
Pretty much
>>
>>83894409
The movie presents a life-and-death struggle between two species. In such a situation, no moral judgements are possible - it's live or die, second place is death. It is therefore impossible for the audience to reasonably be expected to understand a moral lesson from such a presentation.
IF a moral/satirical interpretation was intended, then the antagonist would not be depicted as literally genocidal bugs, but - consistently - as something shown to be more than merely genocidal and utterly inhuman.
>>
>>83890704
It strikes me that, if you want to make a movie warning people about fascism, you should at least try to make the fascism in the movie appear negative in some way. If ST is what fascism is, I'm on board.
>>
File: 1487100029647.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
1487100029647.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>83894711
>>
Everybody over the age of 14 was very much aware of the satire. You're just a retard
>>
File: 1476329699723.jpg (151KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
1476329699723.jpg
151KB, 1024x724px
>humans make increasingly rapid scientific advancements through the power of facism
Remind me how this is bad?
>>
>>83890704

The guy who changed it to satire was a pretentious fucking faggot anyways.
>>
>>83894409
Nice try, but that doesn't work. At the start, the army exists just for people to get benefits in society. Easier licenses to have kids, license to get married, 100% right to vote and all that jazz.

This is the entire point of them joining. For the benefits. They just happen to get brought into a war when bugs attack them. No audience member on this planet, present on in the past, has ever been faced with collective death. As in, not just the death of their family, their village, city or nation, but of their entire species. Of a hostile race able to nuke your planet with asteroids; killing millions of people and causing billions if not trillions of dollars worth of damage.

The point of the film is to show how easy it is for people to LIVE in such a society, not that it's good. About how somebody will be 100% OK with daily executions on TV and needing requirements to breed and shit. It shows the positive sides (order, stability and progress) and the negatives (collective, not the individual, Big Brother attitude, incompetent leaders, little value in human life).

Literally at the end of the film they explain that the war is literally a numbers game. Humanity cannot win a genocidal war against the bugs. That is why they capture the brain bug, because they needed a weakness to even the odds.

The film is a mix of things; it's why it's so good. It's played straight sometimes, played satirically the next (the TV adverts censoring the gore scenes when it doesn't stop the blood splatter). It's why it's beloved. Nobody is quite sure if it's showing the positives of fascism (and arguably Communism) , the negatives of it or just outright mocking those that believe it's a good idea and taking it to it's extreme logical conclusion.
>>
File: sjw.jpg (28KB, 478x476px) Image search: [Google]
sjw.jpg
28KB, 478x476px
>>83894799
It's bad if you're an easily offended SJW pussy.
>>
File: polstupid.png (753KB, 1050x703px) Image search: [Google]
polstupid.png
753KB, 1050x703px
any others?
>>
>>83894711
But it is shown as negative; to the average person. Telling a regular non-/pol/ user on the street they need a license to breed and they can't vote unless they serve in the military; they'd be a bit pissed. Humanity is in a constant dichotomy. They want freedom, but they want security and order. Telling them they can't have freedom but can have security and order makes them reee. Telling them they can have freedom (though not objective freedom, sadly) but no security or order, they'd reee. ST fascism is pretty much 'you're free to do what we tell you to do' tier freedom.
>>
>>83894775
Yes - but did they watch it for the cool satire, or the awesome action?Hint - check the movie's marketing poster before answering...
>>
>>83890704
literally no one see's this film as a glorification of fascism, apart from edgy teenagers still stuck in there "strength is a better alternative to freedom" phase
>>83890788
>i dont know how to read the post
>>
>>83894989
The tiny snippets of 'cool satire' were included in the film ONLY to appeal to the intellectual vanity of certain portions of the audience. It gives them an excuse to watch and enjoy the fascist action.
>>
>>83895045
>literally no one see's this film as a glorification of fascism
So, uhhh - why are troops fighting 'bugs' in the middle east right now? Surely, if we live in a society so far beyond fascism, we couldn't do such a thing? Why do we as a society fully support such things, if not because propaganda such as Verhoeven's acclimates us to such methods and ideas?
>>
>>83894913

>HURR DURR white people are evil: the movie
>>
>>83894964
People throughout history have accepted all sorts of limited franchise. The movie goes out of its way to show that civilians like Rico's parents live affluent, comfortable lives, so it's not like civilians are some sort of shunned underclass of pariahs.
Who is the authoritarian dictator telling the people what to do? The system seems meritocratic, with the failed admiral being publically replaced (by a black woman, a fact that nobody seems to find unusual, which would indicate that racial and gender issues have been fixed as well). Who is being oppressed?
>>
>>83895143
>Starship troopers helped culturally prepare Americans for perpetual war in the Middle-east
Found the underage, you should stop wagging school faggot
>>
>>83894913
get out is literally "BLM: the movie"
>>
If you can't get the satire you're just a fucking idiot

Worst thread I've ever seen
>>
>>83894913
>>83895363
Peele intended the movie to poke fun at leftist fetishation of blacks and other POC.
Unfortunately, that flew over over the heads of a good portion of BLM that watched it and was replaced with "dem crazy white people" due to Peele's inability to depict some sort of reasonable gray area.
>>
>>83895307
People keep saying all the older vets ate horribly maimed but its really just the recruiter desk jockey and the two teachers, Zim was fine, the guy from breaking bad running the training camp was fine as well as well.

The teacher doesn't push for his students to enter the service he pushes for them to make their own choices because they're free to do so and it's not something to take lightly like Rico does. Sure his values may have changes after the rock smashed Buenos Aires but can you blame him?
>>
>>83895500
It seemed pretty straight forward especially at the part where they tell him it's not a racial thing, being black is just what's popular these days so you're "in vogue"
>>
>>83895543
I know
But from my Anecdotal experience being around my Uni's NAACP (long story on that one), there's a pretty popular "white racism comes from whites wanting to be blacks and the whites in Get Out are racist for the same reasons the KKK are racist irl" interpretation of the film.
>>
It was the other way around too, leftist critics hated it because they could not see the irony. But even with the satire, the material is still fascist and has its allure. The society depicted was meant to be charming because fascism has its charming sides. So it's understandable that right wing people still love it, because it's not complete irony and for these few aspects it's the only major Hollywood movie that depicts a right wing world with a bright smile, he actually does it straight then adds extra layers. He plays both sides and that's what makes the movie so subversive and effective. Oh and he embraces the fun of blockbuster shlock so damn much as well when any other European arthouse would have done it with a stick up his ass focusing more on giving a clear cut anti fascist messages, with like say adding a freedom fighter militia or something or making the system more evil by making it less fun because if it's fun then it's charming. But that's part of verhoevens charm. He's undeniably ambiguous, never black and white. Robocop, basic instinct, showgirls too. He makes fun of Americas excesses from an outsiders pov but he is also fascinated and turned on by them. I think there's a quote where he talks about growing up in nazi occupied Netherlands and he says the violence didn't disgust him but instead excited him. He is mischievous and thrives on the ambiguity. I think parts of him genuinely liked growing up with the nazis just like parts of him genuinely liked how crazy and retarded America seemed when he first visited it.
>>
>>83895314
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>83895543
Saying blacks are fashionable these days also has parallels with leftist politics

Why make it the same old same old proletariat vs bourgeois dynamic when racial tensions are such a hot button now-a-days?
>>
>>83890704
starship troopers works so well because it is both damning and compassionate towards fascism (or at least the people within the system of)
>>
memes will turn on you, you'll see
you will all see
>>
>>83895758
>muh movies are subjective
>muh ambiguity
>>
>>83892122
>to kill and conquer shit
So basically EVERY civilization is "fascist" then... Ah self-loathing libtards...
>>
>>83894711
>I'm on board with government falseflags thrusting me into wars that will not benefit me at all on a personal level, and will leave me crippled in the event that I'm lucky enough to survive them
Are you American?
>>
>>83890704
Fight Club
>>
>>83890704

>>ends up being loved to the opposite of its effect

This is testament to the fantastic execution and creation of this movie and its message.
>>
>>83890704
>as there ever been a film that's failed as spectacularly as Starship Troopers has in trying to get across its message?
All anti-war movies.
>>
>>83896042
>muh false flags
>wars are only justified when they benefit me on a personal level
Are you American?
>>
>>83891017

I'm a social democrat, a radical progressive and a strict antifacist and I own it and like it. Not aw much as Robocop but it's still a damn good movie and the fact that brainwashed rightists actually find the society depicted in it admirable only speaks for how well it works as a satire.
>>
File: 1444313257512.png (230KB, 455x443px) Image search: [Google]
1444313257512.png
230KB, 455x443px
>>83894913
Die Welle
>>
>>83890789
but if he didnt join the military he would have died in buenos aires??
>>
>>83894775
so no one in america?
>>
>>83894913
>the great dictator
overrated crap
>>
File: 1497207077749.jpg (156KB, 1200x687px) Image search: [Google]
1497207077749.jpg
156KB, 1200x687px
>>83895979
Well if you could bring any of the founding fathers of America to speak he would be considered a fascist
>>
Heinlein was a lolberg who didn't realize that the social order he took for granted was a direct result of European (especially Anglo) hegemony in the West and consequentially didn't realize that his progressive meritocratic utopia free of hate can't actually exist.
>>
>>83894059
This, nobody fucking cares about the fucking satire shit, the best parts were they land on Klendathu or the fort defense.
>>
Verhoeven: Look at how horrible those good looking, strong and brave fascists are. Don't be a hero like them. Be like us socialist freaks of nature.

Marxists always do that. Paul Verhoeven, Alan Moore, the Judge Dredd comic writers, etc, etc. They always try to turn tales of strong heroes into a "deconstruction", "parody", satire, anti-hero or whatever weasel words they like to use. But they completely fail because heroes are always necessary. Strong men create and maintain civilization.
>>
File: rt1.jpg (133KB, 920x1092px) Image search: [Google]
rt1.jpg
133KB, 920x1092px
>>83891697

>Where are you coming up with these claims? Starship Troopers has high user reviews on most liberal sites you fucking inbred

Not with the liberal reviewers back in the day
>>
>>83898363
>Anglo) hegemony

What the fuck are you blathering on about. Are you a retarded monarchist?
>>
>>83890788
The book and the movie had opposite viewpoints.
>>83890704
Conservatives tend to latch onto stuff calling them retards cause they don't get it.

See: They Live!
>>
>>83898756
I should have clarified that I was speaking about the US, not the world at large.
>>
File: rt2.jpg (201KB, 908x1249px) Image search: [Google]
rt2.jpg
201KB, 908x1249px
>Starship Troopers is a war satire that outshines even Kubrick's Dr.Strangelove - Coley Smithey

>I went a few times with a girl who despised this move. I was forced to conclude that she's not very smart.
>>
File: 1490475791345.jpg (414KB, 1825x760px) Image search: [Google]
1490475791345.jpg
414KB, 1825x760px
>>83890967
>>
>>83891598
Not OP but
>oh yeah you're an engineer ?
>name five of their songs
>>
>>83894711
>i dont know what satire is
>>
>>83902500
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/satire
>>
>>83890704
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtxcgU2_J2o
>>
LISTEN WHILE I TELL THE TALE OF A WARRIOR SO TRUE
AN AVERAGE CAUCASIAN MALE, NOT UNLIKE ME AND YOU
>>
>>83900975
Payback is a bitch

Dizzy still looks good as fuck.
>>
>>83890704
The problem is that Fascists are just so /fa.
>>
>>83890704
Yes, Batman vs Superman
>>
>>83890704
>Starship troopers is satire
Love this new postmodernist meme. Literally never once ST movie or original book implies it's an ironic satire. If they tried to do satire, they failed.
>>
File: 1489800594162.jpg (120KB, 456x337px) Image search: [Google]
1489800594162.jpg
120KB, 456x337px
>>83890704
How could anyone watch this film and want to live in that society?

Do all Americans suffer from fetal alcohol syndrome or something? You don't seem to possess even the most basic critical thinking skills.
>>
>>83894409
This.

Fucking idiots, all of you. YOU are the decline of the west.
>>
File: 1497280043580.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1497280043580.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>83890758
>>
>>83903316
Go ahead, dazzle us with your "critical thinking" and explain why it would be bad.
>>
>>83903454
This is exactly what I mean. Why are you asking me to elaborate on something that's so obvious? Are you genuinely this fucking stupid? Did you even WATCH the movie?
>>
>>83891142
>being this autistic
I suppose you can't appreciate Kubrick's Lolita without being a pedophile either then.
>>
>>83903297
>postmodernist
I virtually GUARANTEE that you can't define this word without using google.
>>
File: 1470583033296.jpg (34KB, 640x594px) Image search: [Google]
1470583033296.jpg
34KB, 640x594px
>>83903529

Third party here. You just avoided the question, instead of elaborating on your opinion mate.
>>
File: 1497256379697m.jpg (71KB, 845x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1497256379697m.jpg
71KB, 845x1024px
>>83903705
No question was asked.

Get the fuck out, 'mate'.
>>
>>83890909
what are their tax policies? do they kill baby bugs in their little bug craddles?
>>
I appreciate that there's some political commentary and leanings to this kino but I don't care, I love this movie because it's a grand adventure film with incredible set pieces and memorable characters. Every time I watch it I'm not reflecting on my own political views and the state of society, I'm thinking "OH SHIT HERE COMES THE BADASS SCENE WHERE A BILLION BUGS SWARM THIS FUCKING BUNKER!! CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT DIPSHIT GENERAL TO GET SQUASHED LIKE A BUG!!"
>>
>>83903752
>no question was asked
youre right.
>>
>>83894799
Idk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTbS8BEa1oI
>>
File: IMG_0133.jpg (23KB, 356x256px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0133.jpg
23KB, 356x256px
>>83890704
>that moment where you stop laughing at how much of a retard OP is, because the realisation sinks in that you have to share a board with him and the spastics that share his views
>>
>>83890905
Jesus this post is cringe
>>
>>83890704
Heinlein was literally a fascist
>>
>>83904322
I wish. For Us, The Living would've been a better book.
>>
File: pilkopalm.gif (396KB, 300x162px) Image search: [Google]
pilkopalm.gif
396KB, 300x162px
>>83890905
>lib-cucks
>I'm smarter than you
>>
So, basicaly some people are too plebian to get the satire. That doesn't make the satire aspect fail, as the movie is still praised as such after all this years.
>>
>>83894913
Is this trying to imply that anyone could watch The Great Dictator and not think it's anti-Nazi?
>>
>>83890875
When that came out literally 90% of the dropkicks at my school started saying they were gonna be stock brokers
Thread posts: 180
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.