[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The main complaint when it comes to Marvel films is that they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_4219.jpg (114KB, 795x446px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4219.jpg
114KB, 795x446px
The main complaint when it comes to Marvel films is that they all seem to look the same, hit the same beats, and never seem to stray from the box. They all seem to be manufactured (aside from the GOTG series). My question is, what was the movie where it all started to go downhill?

>Thor 2
>>
>>83885216
Avengers
>>
>>83885216

Iron Man but arguably this >>83885260 I predict the MCU will crash and burn by the time the next Avengers movie rolls around and the original stars can't get contracts renewed.
>>
>>83885216
Age of Ultron. It was a beat for beat remake of Avengers 1, but somehow worse in every way.
>>
>>83885216
I think they could have alleviated this if they let Edgar Wright make Ant-man the way he wanted.

>Could have gotten a break up in the monotony and a superhero movie in the style of Hot Fuzz
>Instead we got essentially Iron Man 2
>>
>>83885216
First Avengers, while a servicable movie whenever you hit the right stride that's the beginning of the end becuase people try to recreate that rather than take chances
>>
>>83885216
Winter Soldier came out after that and it was good.
>>
>>83885216
>aside from GOTG series
I liked the first one but Vol. 2 was the most tryhard by-committee sequel I've ever seen
>MUH BABY GROOT
>MUH MIXTAPE IN EVERY SCENE
>MUH RANDOM MONOLOGUES TO BALANCE OUT PANDERING COMEDIC ACTION SCENES
>MUH DAVID HASSELHOFF
>MUH PAC-MAN
>>
>>83885216
only DCucks make that complaint and ignore how all DC movies are the same grimdark muddy-colored piles of shit as well
>>
>>83885452
What did he want to do with it anyway?
>>
>what was the movie where it all started to go downhill?
The first one they made
>>
Pretty early on in my opinion. I saw Iron Man in theaters and wasn't really blown away but by the time the Avengers was coming around I decided to download all the movies I'd missed and go through them. Thor and Captain America fucking blew so hard I was going to skip Avengers until it became one of those cultural phenomenons where you feel like you have to see it just to keep up with the zeitgeist. Movie sucked too. Since then I've pretty much avoided every Marvel movie I can. They just don't do it for me, I've never been a big fan of these characters to begin with and the constant jokes/quips/one liners just wear me down. These movies just don't take themselves seriously in a way I find interesting.
>>
File: 1490466930703.jpg (51KB, 689x689px) Image search: [Google]
1490466930703.jpg
51KB, 689x689px
>>83885629
No, it wasnt. The Russos typify the bland Marvel house style unfortunately as they're tasked with their biggest properties. CW shows look better. Whedon, Reed, Derickson, Taika, and especially Gunn are much better directors.
>>
>>83886338
Both top and bottom look retarded
>>
>>83886373
What's 'retarded' about the top image? Take your time to come up w/ a good angle.
>>
>>83885216
>They all seem to be manufactured (aside from the GOTG series)
nigga is you serious?
>>
>>83885319
>I predict the MCU will crash and burn

lol
>>
But I love Marvel!

I'm a girl btw
>>
>>83886408
Not that anon but Gunn is making the movies he wants to make, how he wants to make them. Not nearly as watered down by committee as Civil Bore, and actually somewhat of an auteur vision. Writing, storyboarding, directing.
>>
>>83886006
Agreed. How dare they make something that's "enjoyable'

GotG Vol. 2 was in dire need of
>gray, desaturated color
>every character pissed/depressed/brooding
>heros preforming heroic deeds while looking like they want to off themselves
>dark/bleak music
>Lotr troll final boss
>incoherent plot/dialogue/motivations
Damn. It could've been so successful
>>
>>83886394
90% CG. Nothing interesting in terms of composition or color. It's a mix of grey and amber like every other Snyder movie. These are movies for children, however, so I'm willing to forgive some of this.
>>
>>83886394
Mostly
>Jumping in to attack
>Sword based melee with space ships
>People with projectile technology running forward (both are guilty of this and it's retarded)
>>
>>83886521
>sword based melee with space ships.
>never played civilization on hard
Pleb
>>
>>83885216
It could be from fatigue but I noticed it first when Guardians came out and I expected it to be a fresh new film, but it was the same as the other ones with some nice visuals and cringe jokes
>>
>>83885452
I read somwhere that the parts in Ant-Man where the Mexican guy is telling a story and it shows other people saying his words, was Edgar wright's idea, which makes sense because it was one of the more entertaining parts of the film
>>
>>83885216
I'd watch Thor 2 on repeat before I'd ever watch avengers 2 or iron man 2 again. Those movies sucked bad.
>>
>>83885216

Marvel movies are more different from each other than most movies are from other movies in the same genre. Plebians think they are hot shit because they have noticed they use a three arc structure and mcguffins sometimes.
>>
File: IMG_8641.jpg (172KB, 747x1181px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8641.jpg
172KB, 747x1181px
>>83886465
>he didn't like my generic MCU blockbuster so he must like muh grimdark DC movies
>hating on Zack Snyder when he's the reason James Gunn has a career in Hollywood
Raimi's Spider-Man, Vaughn's X-Men Firt Class and Jenkins' Wonder Woman are all "fun" movies that are don't pander to the audience by desperately trying to start merchandisable memes. The humor arises out of situations naturally instead of just being desperately made running jokes and pop culture references.
>muh bright colors
>muh dadrock soundtrack
>muh quips
Just having that in a movie doesn't make it entertaining. The first movie had that but was executed tastefully. The second movie is a nonstop display of "You still like this stuff right? Here's more of it! You're having fun, right?" It's flanderized garbage.
>>
>>83887080
>He thinks people find the Marvel movies generic because they have three act plot structure and MacGuffins
>not the low effort cinematography and editing style
>not the generic musical scores where every hero has the same theme but the studio thinks people won't notice if they use a different instrument
>not the unimaginative production design and special effects in most films
>not the action comedy tone in every film
>not the cookie cutter personality types applied to every protagonist, their villain, love interest, and minority sidekicks
no it's just Le normies discovered MacGuffin
>>
>>83885216
everything after the first avengers movie
>>
>>83885216
How many good villains have there been in the MCU?

>Loki
>Ego (???)

By far the worst, and the biggest insult to the audience's intelligence was Dr. Strange's villain. You can't even remember that fucking guy's name!
>>
The only one I've really had trouble with is Civil War. I don't much care for Doctor Strange as a movie but I appreciate that it looks nice and has some interesting effects.

Civil War is almost offensively visually bland. My guess would be that you can't maintain the grit of Winter Soldier when you have purple androids and a giant guy, but a gentler visual would go against the tone of the story. What you're left with is just nothing, a big pile of whatever that looks neither interesting nor specific.
>>
>>83888461
DORMAMMU. I'VE COME TO BARGAIN
>>
>>83887031
Nah the opposite. Peyton made most of the stuff people love in the movie including luis. Not to say edgar couldnt have made a great movie but if he didnt want studio interference he shouldnt have passed the deadline so many times. Antman was supposed to be phase 1
>>
>>83888461
I want to say I enjoyed Mads' character in Strange but for the life of me I can't even remember his name.

That and while I liked how he was characterized effectively in a few scenes to the point of nearly being sympathetic, I feel he needed more of it to really cement him as a memorable villain. That and the odd humor moments didn't feel they worked as well as they could have.
>>
I think they stop trying after the first Avengers.
>>
>>83885216
Why is it that no Marvel movie feels like a real movie but Zack Snyder's tryhard trash does?
Recently only Ant-Man and GOTG 1 have stood out to me.
>>
Doctor Strange, GotG and Ant Man are vastly different then the original heroes movies.
>>
>>83885216
Iron Man.
People like to pretend that the MCU movies got stale after a few of them, but the reality is the boring formula had been established right from the first MCU movie.
>>
>>83889544
Just look at how Iron Man compared to other capeshit films of the time upon release:
Spider-Man - Slightly campy. energetic films
Dark Knight - Serious, and grimdark
Iron Man (MCU formula) - technically competent, but bland and soulless
Even Ang Lee's Hulk had spark and a charm of its own.
>>
>>83888617
I agree, I was looking forward to that film for over a year. I was not blown away. I was however excited to see my favorite actors and the story progress, but it was choppy as hell. I really wish they wouldn't have made this the civil war movie, but a Captain America 3. I though they were going to have Steve and Sam looking for Bucky and then a Black Panther intro in there somewhere. There were too many character in this movie. Too many big players that needed to have a lot of screen time ruined this movie. And I love all of these characters. I'm kind of heart broken here.
>>
File: Jedi_circle.jpg (428KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
Jedi_circle.jpg
428KB, 1920x816px
>>83886338
remember what else had a lot of different things happening in each shot?
>>
I would say the avengers technically, good movie but disney saw the success and tried to recapture that and though people liked it for the "fun" quips and meta humor and doubled down on that, no focus on action or characters but just comedy and it shows with all of them except for GOTG vol 1 and sort of ant man. I don't get it when people try to defend dr strange all it had was two scene out of the whole movie with nice visuals but the rest was as bland as you can possibly get, civil war was honestly more entertaining.
>>
season 1 of daredevil was pretty good though

then it became shit
>>
All of the movies after avengers

Either iron man 3 or Thor 2. I fucking forget cause they're all the same. GotG is a huge outlier
>>
>>83885452
Ant-Man is a masterpiece, Wright would've ruined it.
>>
marvel movies are like playing plague inc where you level up the spread all the way to the max, and then level up the sympton when everyone is infected. Sure it works, and you feel great when beating the game, but nothing exciting really happens in the process.
>>
>>83888461
>How many good villains have there been in the MCU?
Peter Russo - Yellowjacket
Kingpin
Ego
Baron Zemo
>>
File: civil war.jpg (55KB, 800x341px) Image search: [Google]
civil war.jpg
55KB, 800x341px
>>83885216
Marvel and DC films are polar opposites visually, but they both look like garbage.
Marvel is bland and soulless. DC is over-processed and looks like Instagram.

Capeshit is garbage
>>
>>83894469
Kingpin doesn't really count since he hasn't showed up in any of the movies (yet anyways). If we include the TV series in the discussion there's quite a few candidates for good villains, though.
>>
>>83894234
I hope you're memeing right now.
>>
>>83888461
So far no good villains in the DCEU
>>
>>83894692
I love Edgar Wright, but all his original ideas would've ruined it.
>>
File: airport fight grid.jpg (4MB, 6286x2623px) Image search: [Google]
airport fight grid.jpg
4MB, 6286x2623px
>>83894508
>le marvel movies look bad maymay
>>
File: avengers.jpg (959KB, 6286x2623px) Image search: [Google]
avengers.jpg
959KB, 6286x2623px
>>83894780
Looks like shit

>3.9mb .jpg

nice compression
>>
>>83894756
Zod was good.
>>
>>83894756
Zod and Lex were both more memorable than anything Disney has shat out.
>>
>>83885216
Definitely IM2 followed by Avengers, both movies followed IM1 formula and succeded.

If you look at Cap 1, Hulk and Thor, despite they are comic flicks, they were not good movies but tried something different and feel distinct from each other, but after that. Antman, Thor 2, Cap 2, Dr Strange, etc.... all made the same formula over and over.

Ironically GotG which IMO is the best movie after IM and definitely the most original and unique, gets panned and it is hated here because memes.
>>
>>83885629
There were good movies, in fact I think after AoU every movie has been good, the problem is they all look bland and the same (Except for GotG)
>>
Lol @ DCfags feeling like they have a say so in anything just because they have 1 above average movie so far and 3 shit tier ones.
>>
>>83894920
>>83894929

Zod and lex were shit
>>
>>83887437
>Jenkins' Wonder Woman are all "fun" movies that are don't pander to the audience by desperately trying to start merchandisable memes. The humor arises out of situations naturally
What fun? What humor?
>>
>>83894756
Ares (Ironically probably the best villain besides Magneto and Doc Ock in any capeshit so far), Lex, Enchantress and the whole Sue-side Squad
>>
and i must say you're the lower tier trash culture bottom feeders i suspected you to be
>>
>>83895109

Ares was horrible. The final battle was bad too
>>
>>83886086
(You) tried fanboi.
>>
>>83886086
To be fair Suicide Squad tried the Marvel formula and failed horribly
>>
>>83886086
I will see the sun of Kino one day, marlet
>>
Iron Man 1 sucked to me when it was first out and I could smell the formula immediately, so I thought it'd get worse and it did.

Looking back now, Iron Man 1 is so different from the rest of the MCU shit. They still use the same formula with some slight adjustments to complaints (hooray for more color and a distinct style) but you can tell it's a copy of a copy of a copy and so forth at this point.

To answer your question, I think it's Iron Man 2, pretty much the first soulless copy of a copy.
>>
File: 14886633682.jpg (70KB, 1256x630px) Image search: [Google]
14886633682.jpg
70KB, 1256x630px
>>83885216
>what was the movie where it all started to go downhill?

Black Panther
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.