[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there will never be a series of adaptations of GK Chesterton

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_9188.jpg (166KB, 582x718px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9188.jpg
166KB, 582x718px
>there will never be a series of adaptations of GK Chesterton and PG Wodehouse's comic novels made in the 1930s in glorious by black and white

Why even live?
>>
>>83884021
Chesterton wrote comic novels?
>>
File: p04nk01l.jpg (47KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
p04nk01l.jpg
47KB, 640x360px
That's right, rub it in, why don't you?
>>83884021
>>
>>83884021
I'm
Sure some GK books have been made into BBC miniseries
Man who was Thursday (Tuesday ?) could easily be a movie . The Priest detective stories would make a decent series
The one where a Muslim visits England and they outlaw booze to make him feel better will never get made. (Ball and cross? I forget which one that is)

Check out the Aposotle of Common Sense for some great GK Chesterton discussion and re enactments
>>
>>83885916
>The Priest detective stories would make a decent series
there is an old series about Father Brown
>>
>>83884021
have you seen gormenghast bbc series? its pretty good, you might like it.
>>
>>83885916
Those aren't made in the 1930s. They're just ok, but imagine the spirit of those wonderful 1930s British films done with Chesterton's story.

Can you imagine this being made, starring Reginald Owen?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Inn

>The Flying Inn is the final novel by G. K. Chesterton, first published in 1914. It is set in a future England where the Temperance movement has allowed a bizarre form of "Progressive" Islam to dominate the political and social life of the country. Because of this, alcohol sales to the poor are effectively prohibited, while the rich can get alcoholic drinks "under a medical certificate".

>The plot centres on the adventures of Humphrey Pumph (see also Humphrey Pump) and Captain Patrick Dalroy, who roam the country in their cart with a barrel of rum in an attempt to evade Prohibition, exploiting loopholes in the law to temporarily prevent the police taking action against them. Eventually the heroes and their followers foil an attempted coup by an Islamic military force.

>The Priest detective stories would make a decent series

They did make that into a modern BBC series, and it was just ok. It didn't have the Chestertonian spirit. They set them in the 1950s, which worked ok. Also you're thinking of The Flying Inn.

>Check out the Aposotle of Common Sense for some great GK Chesterton discussion and re enactments

Those are ok, but less entertaining than just reading his books.
>>
>>83887464
I'd like to see this made today. It was written 100 years ago, so I'd like to see it made today, taking place a hundred years from now, in 2117, but everyone dresses and acts sort of like it's 1917 so its like the novel.

The central joke of the novel is that being "progressive" only means progressing towards something, so in the novel the progressives decide to "progress" towards a more and more strict Islamic takeover of England. Aside from being politically relevant today, it's just funny to see everyone in the book talk about how progressive they are because last year art was allowed to show humans and now they're banning humans from art and are working on banning plant life. So setting in in a future that resembles the past, one that's "progressed" towards being like 1917 and is headed towards 1917 BC fits the novel's them.

Also it'd piss of progressives.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.