[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never seen dune before, what should I start with? Dune 1984

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5

File: Dune Wallpapers 03.jpg (171KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Dune Wallpapers 03.jpg
171KB, 1600x900px
Never seen dune before, what should I start with?

Dune 1984
Dune 1984 extended cut
dune miniseries

wat do /tv/?
>>
read the book
>>
>>83859646

Prefer not to if at all possible.
>>
>>83859616
>Never seen dune before, what should I start with?
>Dune 1984
>Dune 1984 extended cut
>dune miniseries
>wat do /tv/?
The 23rd Anniversary Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jgkcANRE
>>
>>83859646
download the audio book then and listen to it
>>
>>83859782
Then don't bother
>>
"Sandworm gives two rides."

- Mr Shortening of the Way.
>>
>>83859898
This
>>
>>83859616
If you're an American forget it, It's too complex for Americans.
>>
>>83860004
Dune was written by an American.
>>
>>83859616
watch the miniseries,its good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl3uNkBUbvc
>>
>>83860131

No, it really isn't.
And on top of that it aged horribly.
>>
The original version is fine. Book is best, then original theatrical
>>
>>83859616
Don't bother, it's shit.
>>
>>83859616
read the fucking book
>>
>>83859782
I hate millennials
>>
Depends on what you can tolerate. The movie is plagued with shitty effects, constant lazy voiceover, and atrocious direction. The miniseries has the production of the SciFi channel.

If I had to pick one then I'd choose the movie. It's worse but shorter.
>>
>>83859921
underrated
>>
can i skip the version lynch left his name on?
>>
>>83860891
>shitty effects
They're actually quite good and the force fields would have been impressive back then
>>
>>83861103
They may have been impressive at the time but they don't hold up.
>>
>>83861195
It could be worse, it could be modern David Lynch cgi
>>
File: 853full-barbora-kodetová.jpg (208KB, 853x1280px) Image search: [Google]
853full-barbora-kodetová.jpg
208KB, 853x1280px
miniseries has some big titties in it. gets a few things right.

1984 has Sting and great music. gets a few different things right.

Read the book while listening to the soundtracks and then fap to Barbara Kodetova.
>>
>>83859616
This is a movie for grown-ups, sweetie pie. You will not enjoy this. Here's a hint: Dune's universe deliberately precludes computers, robots, space battles, and fighter spacecraft. FOR ECONOMIC REASONS.
>>
>>83859616
Dune has better music and navigator voices, extended cut explains and shows more but the music blows.
>>
>>83859646
/thread
>>
>>83860034
I doubt he's read dune.
>>
>>83859616
I thought he was wearing old school p.e. jumpropes for a second
>>
File: quAIDS.jpg (107KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
quAIDS.jpg
107KB, 400x320px
>>83863333
>>
>>83861340
like a lot of big ol titties through several episodes? or just one episode?
information is vital.
>>
>>83863303

For someone who claims to be a grown up, you don't write like one.

>>83861340

thanks, think I'll start with the original movie first, then check out the miniseries if I like it. Big titties is a plus
>>
>>83864686
Never said that or anything like it. I said that this was a movie for grown-ups. It did poorly at the box office in part because people were expecting Star Wars.
>>
>>83859616
Just watch StarWars. Not a single element from that movie is original. Everything is "lifted" from something. A lot of it from Dune.

But really... Watch the 1984 movie. I think it's great. It's not as terrible as some people try to make it out to be by a longshot. Sure it's not a perfect movie, but I was in shock when I learned it's broadly regarded as a bad movie.

If you don't think Paul Atreadis riding a Sandworm in a Lightningstorm to that Toto soundtrack is the greatest thing ever... well, then you are just a soulless husk of a man.

I tried watching the miniseries, but I couldn't get through it.
>>
>>83864794

Good point sweetie. I think the word you are looking for is nerds, not grown ups.

>>83865313

I don't really care for star wars too much. Haven't seen the new ones.

You've sold me because I love toto.
>>
File: feels harkonnen man.jpg (25KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
feels harkonnen man.jpg
25KB, 500x500px
>>83859616
>listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q06EgcJ6FiI
>read the books (but only the stuff done by Frank Herbert)
>watch Lynch's Dune

In that order
>>
>>83859616
Watch this one.
https://ifdb.fanedit.org/dune-the-alternative-edition-redux/
>>
>>83866081
this
>>
>>83859616
84 extended cut, read the book, then the miniseries. No need for the shorter cut after watching the extended. Yes you should read the sequels and also watch Children of Dune.
>>
Read the book and then watch Lynch's Dune movie.

The movie doesn't make sense withouy reading the boon first.
>>
>>83859616

watch the documentary about Jodorowsky's Dune
watch Eraserhead and The Holy Mountain
>>
dont give advice to someone who won't read a fucking book

refusing to read is commoner tier

we can do better than that
>>
>>83859921
kek
>>
>>83859646
>>83859898
>>
>>83865985
>To Tame a Land
my nig
>>
>>83859616
dudes, would an animated version of dune could work well?
>>
>>83864686
movie won't make any sense unless you read the book. just read the fucking thing you dumbass, it's not even that long
>>
>>83865985
and later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2G8ow-C6ow
>>
>>83859616
The book. JUST the book. Or actually the first 4 books are pretty decent the last 2 by Frank Herbert are just okay. And any his son written to continue the series was absolute garbage.

BUT to this day, there's never been a good cinematic adaptation. The standard 1984 Dune by David Lynch is the best adaptation so far, but honestly, it's still not very good. Though it does start out strong.

But the books, at least the first 4, are as good as GoT. Same type of scope too, huge epics set in huge epic universes.
>>
>>83867787
I would argue the original Dune book stands head and shoulders above the rest for a good reason. it's perfectly self-contained and gives you a glimpse into this strange universe.
>>
did anyone else think the book was shit? not trying to be edgy genuinely thought it was garbage don't get the hype
>>
>>83867811
I don't know, I really liked God Emperor of Dune, probably more than any of the others.
>>
>>83867812
You've got a low IQ.
>>
>>83867811
The first novel is probably the best from a literary standpoint but I liked Dune Messiah the most.
>>
>>83867812
What didn't you like about it? It's a well excecuted coming of age story with crisp prose, creative and deep worldbuilding, and enjoyable characters.
>>
>>83859811
check'd and kek'd
>>
>>83860880
>self-hating millennial
How original.
>>
>>83867787
>are as good as GoT
>actually unironically comparing the shit stain that is Game of Thrones and The Song of Ice and Fire to the Dune series
Kill yourself.
I'm absolutely serious, you have no reason to exist.
>>
>>83859616
Seriously, read the fucking book.

Aside from that I find the extended cut to be the better version, if you can't find the 3h fan-edit.

Also watch the documentary Jodorowsky's Dune.
>>
>>83865985
Author Frank Herbert refused to allow the band to call this song "Dune." The band originally sent a letter to Herbert's agent for permission. The response read as follows: "No. Because Frank Herbert doesn't like rock bands, particularly heavy rock bands, and especially rock bands like Iron Maiden."

Kek.
>>
start with tremors 2
>>
>>83867787
>GOT
>as good as Dune
Never post anything ever again please.
>>
>>83859616
watch the Spice Diver Fan edit.
>>
Play Dune II: The Building Of A Dynasty.
It's super fun.
https://epicport.com/en/dune2
>>
Dune is boooooooooooooriiiiiiiinnngg

There's a spice and a worm but you wait forever for the worm and it's just fucking disappointing

the movie is fucking sand-blade runner.
>>
books are for losers who want to pretend they have an imagination that is better than actually viewing things with their own eyes and hearing things with their own ears, books don't make you smarter, books will never be a better medium for storytelling than movies and tv, books are designed for geeks to help create a false sense of superiority in themselves by allowing them to list off autistic little tidbits that have barely any value in the greater picture of a story. books create pretentious know it all's who have no taste and are generally severely lacking in normal social skills.

"jimmy autisticly loaded precisely five bullets into his sleek silver .44 magnum, as each bullet dropped into the chamber a metallic echo could be heard dropping deeper into the dark mouth of the cavern that jimmy was positioned at the precipice of, as the sound dropped and dwindled lower and lower, so did jimmy, falling defeated to his knees with a grimace and a groan as he started down into the abyss, he slammed the chamber in and slapped it, sending it spinning and whirring, it's all he could hear now as the echo seemed increase in volume as it dropped and echoed around and into the cavern this time, jimmy roars into the dark, his screams twisted with anguish and rage, spittle flying from his mouth as he continues his cry into nothing, for nothing, quickly his arm jolts up with the gun and he fires four shots into the cavern and jerks the .44 to his temple"

wow I just wasted 2 minutes reading trash that could have been communicated in 20~ seconds of screen time
>>
>>83870126
you fuck, where do you live?
>>
>>83870762
So you don't think that directors and actors and costume and set, etc... matter and that you could have the shittiest actors, cardboard sets and no director and that it'd still be better than written words? You're stupider than the US president.
>>
>>83859782
Its breddy gud. A staple of the genre.
>>
>>83870868
when did i say none of that other stuff mattered ?

for someone who likes books you have some piss poor reading comprehension
>>
>>83861103
I still like the personal shield effect.
>>
>>83859616
Go find the spicediver fan edit.
>>
>>83870925
>books will never be a better medium for storytelling than movies and tv
actually does imply that you think none of those things matter when movies and tv are compared to books.
In your opinion, you could take the objectively worst movie in every single way and it would still be better at storytelling than the objectively best book made.
>>
>>83870971
and you are basically proving my point by arguing over autistic semantics

last response you get retard
>>
>>83860880
I found the book pretty overrated. It had some good parts but a lot of cheesy sci-fi tropes and nonsense that they only added as flair.
>>
>>83870998
>everything I don't like is autistic semantics!
>nevermind the fact that what I said was incredibly retarded
You're honestly pretty fucking dumb if you think reading books is retarded.
>>
>>83871070
okay you get one more response, so I can communicate to you through inferior words, instead of just laughing in your face, that I am laughing at how stupid you are
>>
>>83871107
>okay you get one more response
I doubt it.
>how stupid you are
Says the guy saying movies and tv are superior storytelling mediums than books no matter the quality.
>>
>>83870762
At gif would've been better than all that pointless shit you wrote, faggot.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.