[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw too dumb for entry level kino Can someone give me a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: md.jpg (79KB, 1916x1036px) Image search: [Google]
md.jpg
79KB, 1916x1036px
>tfw too dumb for entry level kino

Can someone give me a quick rundown? The most logical conclusion I came to was that Diane was real and most of what we saw was all in her head either right before she killed herself or possibly after? The man on the stage repeatedly saying it was not a live band and the song continuing after the singer collapsed kinda supports that. I have no fucking clue what the deal with the blue key, hobo, or cowboy was though
>>
You've mostly got it. The blue key in Diane's reality is just the signal by the hitman that the hit was a success. In the dream the key is just something meant to evoke the key in real life. I've seen people say the hobo, at least in the original scene, is meant to stand for emotions Diane has about her ordering the hit in the Winkies. I don't really know what it's about later in the movie. The cowboy is just a character inserted into the dream because she saw him irl for a split second at that part. I don't really care to try and think what the meaning behind his scene was right now.

Now go watch Inland Empire if you want a real mindfuck.
>>
>>83694203
Ok so I understand the plot of the actual movie, what's the subtext? Is Lynch saying hollywood is all an illusion created by miserable, manipulative assholes? That's not really anything new or interesting
>>
>>83694474
>Only understands movies in terms of plot and subtext

You have much to learn.
>>
>>83694141
>>83694474
The first thing you need to know is it was supposed to be a pilot before being transformed into a movie. Compare the pilot of Twin Peaks with the movie version that was released theatrically overseas. In all likelihood, the "real world" segment was never originally part of the story.

Not that this matters, particularly, but it's an interesting point.

Also, both worlds are real and they dream of each other.
>>
>>83694474
Its telling an out of the ordinary story in a surreal way. He takes many jabs at Hollywood, certainly. All the stuff he probably personally encountered, from studios taking over his casting decisions to the broken dreams of would be Hollywood starlets ending up as just some waitress at a restaurant because they couldnt break into the business.

But for the most part the movie is just a dreamlike story, broken into two parts: the first part her idealized dream of what she would have liked her move to LA to be like. The second part was her reality.

You would have realized that if you hadnt watched it on your fucking phone
>>
Mulholland Drive is actually pretty straightforward, the first part is wish fulfillment with some scenes indicating guilt and the second part shows why and how she created the fantasy in her mind

Lost highway is more cryptic to me, and I havent even bothered to watch Inland empire
>>
>>83694515
Care to enlighten me? I think I'm too autistic to understand the emotions being conveyed through shot composition and actors. I just try to fit all the pieces together in hopes of finding some sort of meaning
>>
>>83694670
>I just try to fit all the pieces together in hopes of finding some sort of meaning

Yeah don't do this. Trying to "solve" art is a mug's game.
>>
>>83694663
Lost Highway is a bit less straightforward but I like the description I've seen of it being Mulholland Drive but in reverse. The reality is at the beginning of the movie with after the transformation being the guy's fantasy. I'm sure there are plenty of interpretations of it you could read.

Inland Empire is a million times harder to piece together but there are a few interpretations I've read that fit pretty well. Even one, having to do with the Buddhist state of bardo, which I've also seen applied to Mulholland Drive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardo
>>
>>83694702
alot of people on this board seem to expect a force fed message from films and get upset if there isnt one
>>
>>83694751
Yeah, I'm not saying you shouldn't analyse art, but when people try to nail down every detail to a specific interpretation like it's a message to decode you kill some of the magic.
>>
the key to Mulholland Drive is to watch the scenes, listen to the dialog, notice the acting.

you will have a reaction to these things as they happen. note your reaction

at the end of the movie, accumulate these reactions, and form an opinion on the movie

this will probably work with any lynch film, but I thought it especially worked with mulholland dr
>>
>>83694991
Yes the emotional response is probably more important to Lynch, and its an intense movie to watch even if you have no idea whats actually going on

You can analyze it and piece everything together so that it makes more sense, but its not the point of the movie
>>
DUDE SCARIEST SCENE IN ALL OF CINEMA LMAO
>>
>>83694789
It's not that I need an exact answer but trying to make sense of countless half realized threads of ideas spiraling out into nothing, frustration mounting as the hazy picture of it all fails to get any clearer while memories of the exact details start to fade and hope of ever understanding anything crumbles is a bit tiring. It's nice to get an opinion from someone else to ground myself on while I gather my thoughts.
>>
>told it was the finest espresso in LA
>your boss spits it out

the lesson is that you can't trust anybody in Hollywood to recommend espresso.

bravo lynch
>>
>>83695179
oh, that's simple

it was originally supposed to be a tv show

but it didn't get picked up so they cobbled what they had together into a movie

that's why robert forster is in one short scene than never seen again. he probably would have been important to the series.
>>
>>83695356
It was actually supposed to be one of the best espressos in the world.
>>
>>83695380
badalamenti only drinks lynch brand coffee
>>
>>83694646

> the first part her idealized dream of what she would have liked her move to LA to be like. The second part was her reality.

This is such a boring interpretation and makes the movie sound shittier than it really is. Everything in it is real. The story is that reality gets REWRITTEN.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.