[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the single biggest flaw in the original LOTR trilogy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

What's the single biggest flaw in the original LOTR trilogy?

In my opinion, it's the fact that they cut literally every scene that shows Boromir as a redeemable good guy. He was Gondor's best warrior, son to the throne, an honorable man who fought to save the halflings til his last breath... Yet every scene other than his death scene showed him as a mindless douche who was just trying to steal the ring. Had they kept certain scenes that they cut out, it would have done a better job showing that he was being seduced by the ring as well as his deranged father's wishes for said ring. The full movies show a much better picture of who Boromir really was, especially the flashback scene in Osgiliath with Faramir and Boromir.
>>
File: Corruption.jpg (515KB, 863x653px) Image search: [Google]
Corruption.jpg
515KB, 863x653px
>>83606333

You could probably make an entire film about the ring corrupting someone honorable and taking them from the pinnacle of virtue and honor and turning them into a degraded, corrupted and twisted creature. A journey from the idealization of the "tree of heavens" into the manifestation of the corrupt "tree of hell".

Smeagle is a good example, but he was just an ordinary person. Imo Boromir was at the precipice of his own personal dark mirror/hell and was saved only by a timely death.
>>
File: frodo.png (325KB, 560x559px) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
325KB, 560x559px
why didn't they just fly on the eagles to mordor?
>>
>>83606894
I've been seeing that doujin all day so a
I might as well ask for sauce.
>>
My only problem with the trilogy is how they handled Galadriel being tempted by the ring in the first movie. It looked bad then and looks awful now.
The other issue I have is the army of the dead. Why do they float and why did they have to be green? It would be much, much cooler if they moved on foot and weren't spoopy green.
>>
>>83607157
Emergence.

Its going to fuck you up, senpai.
>>
>>83607486
Why
>>
>>83608413
Its kinda sad
>>
>>83606333
>not watching the extended versions every time
>>
>>83608734
I can to kinda sad, as long as there is no guro or scat.
>>
>>83607406
Yeah the green army was very Pirates of the Carribean/Disneyworld scary amusement park ride to me. Sticks out in the aesthetic.
>>
>>83606333
>What's the single biggest flaw in the original LOTR trilogy?
They're too hollywood.
>>
>>83606333
The only flaw was that the Witch King defeated Gandalf
>>
>>83608845
Theres a little blood, but I wouldnt call it guro.
>>
>>83606333
>What's the single biggest flaw in the original LOTR trilogy?
gimli
>>
>>83609085
>tfw excite for the hobbit movies because finally we'd get some dwarves that weren't just comic fuckups
>half of them were comic fuckups and the movies were mediocre anyway

At least we had based Balin.
>>
File: Minas_Tirith_non-film_copy.jpg (102KB, 800x506px) Image search: [Google]
Minas_Tirith_non-film_copy.jpg
102KB, 800x506px
>>83606333
That The Two Towers and Return of The King did not get the same love as Fellowship.

The shire is a really believable place, farms, roads, looks like a place that could have excited.
Bree is also well executed, same with Rivendell.

Rohan dosent feel like a kingdom. Edoras just some buildings on a hill, we see no roads, farm fields, people, horse breeding sites, etc.
Minas tirith is again just structure that has nothing that support it. See painting, much more believable surrounding infrastructure.

Not the biggest flaw, but I feel the two last movies is a step down in many areas.
>>
File: perfectly calm.jpg (14KB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
perfectly calm.jpg
14KB, 245x200px
>>83606333
Every scene where Hakson fellates the elves in general and Legolas in particular. Even worse in the extended editions.
>mfw Gimli was turned into a fucking comic relief when he was awesome and badass in FotR
>>
>>83608913
This is the correct repsonse
>>
>>83609602
I read somewhere that the Pelennor Fields were farmland that had been razed and abandoned (preparing for siege) prior to Sauron's attack in ROTK.
>>
>>83606932
Eagles are servants of Manwë, they don't just do the bidding of Men and Elves. They help as they please, or as Manwë commands.
>>
>>83606932
they forgot
>>
>>83609602
The sets were much smaller in the first movie. So more attention to detail could be given.

The sequels required much more varied and larger sets.

Most of what you are asking for would require a shit ton of CGI because they were not going to tear up the country side for a bunch of farm lands.
>>
>>83609602
>MUH FARMS
>>
>>83610519
You don't see any remains of that tho

>>83610842
Not saying they were lazy and did not bother,
but just pointing out details that lacked.

>>83610945
Tru. Not a big deal,
but the world feels more alive in fellowship.
>>
>>83609602
>>83610519
You're both kind of wrong. In the first movie Gandalf goes to Minas Tirith right after seeing the Eye of Sauron while attempting to pick up the ring. It shows Minas Tirith and the surrounding area to be exactly the same as you see it in Return of the King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1WWCCHM9d8
>>
>>83609625
In what way was gimli badass in the fellowship?
>>
>>83607406
I don't agree
How'd you make the ghosts seem real without using that sort of style?
>>
make em ghostly white and pale. also they werent even at minas tirith really, they helped aragorn gather up the southern gondorians and scare the corsairs.

my biggest gripe is eowyn killing the witch king. the design of them is great, the figth choreography is great, but they fucked her dialogue. she doesnt sound gallant or remove her helmet pre-fight, thereby causing WK to be worried for a moment. it comes off more as a HAHA GOT YA IM A CHICK. also they didnt explain at all in the film why she collapsed, and merry didnt get sick just so he got to be at the black gate
>>
>>83606333
the Nazguls come off as pathetic and no threatening at all
>>
>>83606333
Except all the scenes where Faramir talks about him
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.