[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is no fantasy story capable of recapturing LotR's mainstream

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1496569557065.jpg (481KB, 1026x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1496569557065.jpg
481KB, 1026x1500px
Why is no fantasy story capable of recapturing LotR's mainstream success? Not even Peter Jackson could do it twice.
>>
GoT seems pretty mainstream and successful, it's just different in a lot of ways.
>>
>>83546387
game of thrones
>>
>>83546464
Because sex and deaths.
>>
jews won't allow another only white epic
>>
File: group022_mingoffellows.jpg (23KB, 528x251px) Image search: [Google]
group022_mingoffellows.jpg
23KB, 528x251px
>So it's settled. We will send nine people on this quest that decides the fate of the entire world. Nine to match the number of ring ghosts for whatever reason even though people like Aragorn can take several of them while Frodo couldn't take one and a couple more elves wouldn't make the fellowship less able to hide. On the contrary those millenia old guards of middle earth could probably aid the group in not getting detected. Also of these 9 spots we will waste 3 on kids who's only power is friendshipping really hard even though this is of no foreseeable aid for the mission, a human with already questionable loyalty who is otherwise desperately needed in the defense of Gondor, and a dwarf who is of no use whatsoever instead of skilled elf fighters who can take out dozens of enemies to protect the ring bearer, are less corruptable and know middle earth and it's secrets in all it's detail because DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH and it is really important that the marginalized races of middle earth get equal representation.
What was the underlying social-political message of this?
>>
>>83546387
years and years of prep work
contained story with planned beginning and ending
dedicated staff and actors
restrains with usage of CGI
>>
File: 1464566506900.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1464566506900.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>83546387
Is Fellowship of the Ring the greatest movie ever made?
>>
>>83546607
That frame when the giant statue have ``eyes`` scared me.
>>
>>83546589
Don't forget
>atrocious casting
>hideous green screen
>le ebin comic relief
>ruining key aspects of the book to write in Hackson's own inferior fanfic
>shitty editing
>>
>>83546464
Yeah, I wanted to mention it in the OP but was reluctant to, because it's almost the antithesis of LotR, muh taxes and whatnot. I feel like it almost cheated its way into success by being fairly subdued in the fantasy aspect in the beginning, which helped it be taken more seriously.
>>
>>83546647
Thats The Hobbit.
>>
>>83546670
And Lotr
Take of you /pol/ goggles. It aged worse than the prequels
>>
>>83546607
no, that would be Two Towers
>>
I'd love the first Dark Souls game set over the course of a trilogy.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.