[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else find it odd how Michael Moorcock is basically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Moorcock.jpg (66KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Moorcock.jpg
66KB, 960x540px
Does anyone else find it odd how Michael Moorcock is basically forgotten by today's fantasy fans despite being a revolutionary in the field? He managed to bring up issues decades ago that and make them feel genuine whereas when writers do it today they just feel forced and pandering. Why don't movie studios want to turn his works into the next GOT, Harry Potter or LOTRs to milk that cow? I'm honestly surprised the faux geek bandwagon haven't latched onto his books.
>>
There's a Witcher 3 series.
>>
>>83546265
>cock
xDDD
>>
>>83546265
Huh, that's a good point.

I discovered him through Alan Moore and the LOEG.
>>
>>83546343

Especially since he's got an untapped wealth of stories that could make some decent movies but I guess the studios just want flavour of the month stuff like Rothfuss.
>>
I'm more surprised how Frank Herbert seems to be forgotten or swept under the rug, that could be because of the David Lynch movie and Hollywood not wanting to risk touching it.
>>
He's very well known in the UK, where he's respected beyond SFF fandom. Maybe he's not so well known by Americans, even though he lives in the US, or used to. It would be interesting to ask this in the SFF threads in /lit/.
>>
>>83548473

I actually live in the UK but I guess people just want disposable fantasy like Rowling, Rothfuss, Brooks,GRRM, Lynch, etc. This is why those works won't be remembered for decades to come since they were made to be disposable for cheap and quick cash.
>>
>>83546453
i am hanging out for an animated version of the stories from the End of Time. Elric at the End of Time would be hilarious.

Elric: (scowling) I have a doom-laden destiny.

Werther de Goethe: Ah! I, too, have a doom-laden destiny!

Elric: I doubt it is as doom-laden as mine!
>>
>>83546265
blockbusters are actually in a very weird place right now where a fantasy adaption like that is difficult to gather the funding for. You can't actually make a fantasy film for a few dozen million these days, you need hundreds of millions of dollars and getting a studio to front that up is essentially impossible in the current climate unless you've got a proven track record - which Moorcock doesn't have with normies.
>>
He's famous for shitting out bad novels for money while high on drugs, who gives a shit.
>>
Michael Moorcock is a pretty atrocious fantasy writer. His stories would make excellent movies, though, because they have very simple, linear stories that progress in the same way that movies do.

Corum would probably be the easiest to adapt, followed by Hawkmoon. Elric's adventures are more random and sporadic, not as easily translated into a movie trilogy.

Eternal Champion cinematic universe could be a thing...
>>
>>83546265
I'm still waiting for my Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser movie.
>>
>>83549244
It would work much better as a TV series
>>
>>83549259
why? a one shot adventure movie - with no freaking origin story - that's universal enough isn't it? best buds trying to get rich or die trying
>>
>>83549331
Cause the F&M stories are vignettes. It would work really well, think a Sam Raimi series in the vein of Xena, or Hercules.
>>
You think that's bad, I don't think anyone knows who Matthew Stover is these days.

If he had released Heroes Die today he'd be a millionaire. But instead he went broke and had to write star wars shit for scale.
>>
>>83546265
>Michael Moorcock

where does one start with his work?
>>
>>83546265
Modern fantasy fans are more obsessed with grimdark nonsense like Lawrence or bland YA like Sanderson
>>
File: 1333979726292.png (719KB, 748x559px) Image search: [Google]
1333979726292.png
719KB, 748x559px
>>83546265
>Besides using fiction to explore his politics, Moorcock also engages in political activism. Specifically, in order to "marginalize stuff that works to objectify women and suggests women enjoy being beaten", Moorcock has encouraged W H Smiths to move John Norman's Gor series novels to the top shelf.
>Moorcock has also criticized writers for their political agendas. His targets include Robert A. Heinlein and H. P. Lovecraft, both of whom he attacked in a 1978 essay, "Starship Stormtroopers" (Anarchist Review). There he criticised the production of "authoritarian" fiction by a range of canonical writers, and Lovecraft for having anti-semitic, misogynistic and extremely racist viewpoints that he included in his short stories.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.