[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Lucas originally have plans for Kenobi's comment about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (33KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
33KB, 1280x720px
Did Lucas originally have plans for Kenobi's comment about "being more powerful than you can possibly imagine" to ever be re-visited, even as an idea? Or was he always sort of shitty as a writer?
>>
It really doesnt make sense. Obi Wan becomes one with the force, but so does Vader after he dies. So how is it impossible for Vader to understand that?
>>
>>83521941
Set aside your autism for a moment and understand that Ben is saying that he will be more effective in bringing down the empire as a ghost than he ever could as a limp wristed old man.
>>
>>83521941
It was mind games. The implication behind the line is Anakin's growth in the force was halted, and that Obi Wan continued to learn the ways of the force.
>>
>>83522061

Right? Like, maybe if he meant it in a way like, my sacrifice is gonna motivate your son to lead the rebellion, and Vader mistakenly thinks Kenobi is talking about supernatural power, then it makes a whole lotta sense.

But they literally never address it again in the films. Not only that, but what the fuck does ghost kenobi really do? Tell Luke to go to dagobah and remind him to use the force? He didn't need to die to do that shit. Confirm to luke, yeah I sorta lied about vader killing your dad but not reaaaaaalllyyyy if you think about it.

That's not power...
>>
>>83522200

see >>83522278
>>
Obi Wan was never going to be the one to bring down Vader and the Empire, his goal was always to train Luke in the ways of the Jedi and by striking him down Vader was doing nothing but creating a far greater threat in Luke by removing the doubt that he had in his mind of what he should do, while Obi Wan would still be able to guide him through the force
>>
>>83522201

Interesting. But wht was the point of the mind games?

You play mind games to best an opponent, whether in the short term or long term.

How did that line contribute to the empire's defeat? What proof shows that it phased vader at all? Sure, he kicks around the robes, it's obvious he's confused for at least a moment, but how can you say this "mind game" affected him at all without writing fan fiction?
>>
>>83521941
>Or was he always sort of shitty as a writer?

Yes.

No one seems to point out that the OT still had shitty dialogue and a lackluster plot lifted directly from other stories. Even the so-called "original ideas" were mostly just Flash Gordon ripoffs.
>>
>>83522339

You think he was still doubting himself by the time he's convinced han to help him free political prisoners from guantanamo bay times a million?
>>
>>83522456
he was still doubting his actions two movies after that
>>
>>83522505

incorrect. He didn't start doubting anything until about 70% of the way through RotJ, one of the biggest character development fuckups in a movie that's fun to watch but could have been fucking epic.
>>
>>83522321
Another autist. You people should be banned from watching and opining on movies.
>>
>>83521941
>"being more powerful than you can possibly imagine"

I mean the prequels are literally about Anakin's daydreaming and grandeurs of power. I'm pretty sure he can "imagine" a fuckload of powerful abilities. One of his lines in the prequels is literally "I will become the most powerful jedi ever.". I think he has thought of force-ghosting at least once

Ben Kenobi smells like piss and sand and I'm glad he's dead
>>
>>83521941
>Or was he always sort of shitty as a writer?
this
>>
>>83523033

Saying someone's opinion is bad/incorrect/autistic and not explaining why or offering a counter opinion is shit. it's the shitty behavior of a shitty person with shit for intellect.
>>
>>83521941
>"being more powerful than you can possibly imagine"
I think Obi-Wan was mocking Vader's old dream of overcoming death.
>>
>>83521941
It's a metaphor. It's not meant to be taken literally.

The idea is that Obi Wan would be more powerful as a symbol/martyr.
>>
No. Star Wars was written as a stand-alone movie and Obi-wan wasn't even supposed to die until Alec Guiness pointed out (during filming) that the character was useless in the second half of the film, and a death scene would be a good way to add some emotional weight to the escape scene. Lucas probably just threw that line in there for a mystical explanation to explain the self-sacrifice and didn't expect to have to explain it, again, because a sequel wasn't supposed to happen.

As to why the sequels didn't mention it, Lucas probably assumed that people would think Obi-wan being a force ghost was the answer. And he probably forgot about it by the time he decided to make Anakin a force ghost.
>>
>tv shitters thinking that power only means PWNAGE OMG LIGHTSABURS!!!1

He didn't think Vader would ever become one with the Force, either, so the line still works.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.