[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did people hate it? It's a good space horror movie The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 35

File: large_life[1].jpg (81KB, 400x593px) Image search: [Google]
large_life[1].jpg
81KB, 400x593px
Why did people hate it? It's a good space horror movie
The acting is great, the effects are fine, it made me feel anxious for the characters many times, something that even Alien can't do
I'd give it a solid 8/10
>>
File: Oy+vey+it+s+the+second+shoah.jpg (113KB, 491x571px) Image search: [Google]
Oy+vey+it+s+the+second+shoah.jpg
113KB, 491x571px
People hate it?
Filthy goys, go and watch it!
>>
>Produced by
David Ellison
Dana Goldberg
Bonnie Curtis
Julie Lynn

oy vey
>>
Slow, no tension, wooden acting

Quit shilling
>>
gonna watch this later today
what will I think of it?
>>
>>83514444
not a shill, how was it slow? it was much faster than Alien or movies alike
>>
>>83514342
>posting a dead meme from 2015
Are you a Muslim with a slow internet connection?
>>
>>83514312

It was boring. I didn't care about the characters or the alien. The black nigger was retarded as fuck. Why the fuck was he playing with the alien? Why is everyone so stupid? And why was the alien fucking invincible, super strong and super intelligent? Boring as fuck.
>>
Really the only scene that was intense was at the beginning when the Alien grabbed the black guy's hand. Then it becomes boring. And you can see the "twist" ending coming a mile away.
>>
>>83514826

The real twist is that this is actually a fucking spiderman movie, I'm dead serious
>>
File: conbel2.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
conbel2.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
>>83514874
>muh venom
>>
>>83514874
wait what explain
>>
>>83515013
le black goo in spiderman 3
>>
>>83514874
>>83515013
>>83515141

That shit was debunked the same day, get off it
>>
>Character's surname is North
>literally translate it into Russian as CEBEP
>>
>>83515311

Russians are stupid, who knew.
>>
Calvin's design was very cool.
>>
>>83514312
i liked it just because it's better than alien covenant
>>
File: 3067deafe2[1].png (13KB, 1305x188px) Image search: [Google]
3067deafe2[1].png
13KB, 1305x188px
>>83515311
are you autistic
>>
File: Life-Spider-Man-3-Same-Shot.png (184KB, 355x281px) Image search: [Google]
Life-Spider-Man-3-Same-Shot.png
184KB, 355x281px
>>83515013
Calvin at the end looks like symbiote and they used the same footage in spider Man 3 and Life.
>>
File: 1496500034225.jpg (101KB, 480x960px) Image search: [Google]
1496500034225.jpg
101KB, 480x960px
It was bretty gud
>>
>>83515449

I think his point is that you don't translate Proper nouns into Russian
>>
>>83515449
So if my name is Petros they should transalte it to The Rock ?
>>
>>83514312
>Kaneda is brought back from the dead
>we still don't know what he sees
>>
Damn, why did calvin change like that in the end?
>>
>>83515774
Survival tactic to survive freefall and any impact that it assumed would happen?

Or it bonded with the dude and it really is a Venom prequel after all.
>>
Shitty blatant Alien rip-off.
>>
just finished. wasn't expecting that ending. raised it from a 5.8/10 to almost a 6.5/10.

when the seemingly irrelevant thing from the beginning of the movie saved the day I laughed, paused it and went for a shit.

unrealistic having no chinese in it though.
>>
File: ISS.png (104KB, 1121x642px) Image search: [Google]
ISS.png
104KB, 1121x642px
>>83516049
>unrealistic having no chinese in it though.
There has never been one in the ISS though?Most frequent nationalities up there are Americans, Russians, French, Japanese, Canadians, but Chinese do their own thing.
>>
>>83516376
The Chinese are the only other country with their own space station right?
>>
>>83516554
To my knowledge, they're intending to build one, but for now, they're floating around in rheir own little sattelite saying "curse the West" I guess.
>>
Just watched this last night, predictable but very solid movie. probably the best space horror in a long time since Ridley keeps fucking up his Alien movies more and more. Characters were all solid and likeable(except for the fucking black scientist) and I actually wouldn't have minded seeing them interact more.

Literally the cluster fuck is caused by the black guy, he goes full mad scientist on an unknown organism in a barely controlled environment with almost no resources. and somehow NOBODY is alarmed at the rapid development of an organism that is literally described a giant brain. but this is a horror so what can you do.

all in all it was worth a watch, solid 7/10.
>>
The characters are astronauts.
You'd think they're pretty intelligent.
The stupid fucks ignore all quarantine procedures.
If they'd just followed quarantine procedures, the movie would be over in 15mins.

Second nitpick; EVERYTHING is literally explained to the audience through dialogue.
>>
>>83517255
To be fair most if not all of the fuck-ups were the black guy's fault, everything he was doing was against protocol. The captain should have shut him down from the minute the sample was contaminated or just boosted him out the fucking airlock after it broke his hand.
>>
>>83516554

lmao they just started sending men to space this decade
>>
>>83514312
Did /tv/ notice how they played a cartoony anvil "donk" sound when the alien was chasing Jake G. and his two buddies?

Then it sounded like cartoon punching sounds when the alien was grappling with the Japanese guy.
>>
>>83516554
>>83516376
Meanwhile, on the Chinese version of Life
>"Alright, Dong! you just need to catch the probe with the samples, you can do it!"
>"It's coming it, guys I got this!"
>The probe hits the station retrieval arm causing it to explode
>The resulting chain reaction destroys every compartment one by one killing all crew members and causing the captain to fall through a loose panel in the station escalator into the gearworks
>>
>>83514312
How many clichés can they cram in one movie?
>>
>>83516376

maybe this is why the movie failed. if they had replaced that jap with a chink it would have doubled its box office.
>>
File: Happy Bong.jpg (239KB, 552x602px) Image search: [Google]
Happy Bong.jpg
239KB, 552x602px
>>83517843
>causing the captain to fall through a loose panel in the station escalator into the gearworks
>>
It's a better alien movie than covenant. Actually reminded me a bit of Alien.

And characters doing stupid shit is a trite argument. Some of the best movies have had characters do stupid shit.
>>
>>83516049
>wasn't expecting that ending

But every horror movie these days ends with everyone dying and the monster winning. Would've been more surprising if their plan had worked 2bh.
>>
>>83517924
Chinese would've probably be offended at being lumped into the ISS crew.
>ugh implying we can't into space on our own
>implying we need dirty white pig space station
>implying we would learn english or russian so we could stay on the ISS
>>
>>83516049
>unrealistic having no chinese in it though.
>>83516554
The current station is only 530 cu ft of internal space and is out of control
>>
>>83518077
I expected the monster to win but not in that way, I thought the girl was gonna make it to earth as planned and Jake was gonna go floating into space with Calvin also as planned but we see a small indication that the girl is infected by Calvin after being rescued.
>>
>>83514444
quads of truth
>>
>>83518063
>Some of the best movies have had characters do stupid shit.

yeah but not every character all the ime
>>
>>83514312
>Jake Gyllenhaal will never burst out of the pod at the end of the film engulfed in the lifeform, which is the Venom symbiote, revealing this to be Sony's successful play at one of the most clever and exciting backdoor entries into a superhero franchise of all time.
Why even live?
>>
>>83518063
>And characters doing stupid shit is a trite argument.
And a lot of that is actually forgiven by the plotline about the government having a third contigency plan if ever the astronauts fucked up, which made things more grounded in reality.
>>
>>83518137
But then the scriptwriters would have to acknowledge that Calvin did in fact leave hundreds of thousands of tiny Calvins on everything it touched which would make the scientists in the movie appear even dumber than they already were since none of them ever seemed to be concerned by that very real possibility.
>>
>>83518193
That honestly would have been pretty great but it was a stupid theory from the start since Sony owns Venom and this was made by some offshoot of Paramount.
>>
>>83518243
shame the characters doing stupid shit all the time fucked that plan over then eh?
>>
>>83518259
Pretty much, I seriously don't understand how they didn't put the black scientist guy in isolation after the "You can't compare Calvin to Anthrax!" scene. He was clearly fucking off his rocker at that point. EVERY foreign organism or bacteria would have to be treated like it could wipe us out.
>>
>>83518268
No, it was Columbia, which is owned by Sony. Columbia also did all five Spider-Man films to date.
>>
>>83518268
>That honestly would have been pretty great but it was a stupid theory from the start since Sony owns Venom and this was made by some offshoot of Paramount.

It was produced by Skydance Media, but it was released by Sony though Colombia Pictures.
>>
I liked the movie, it was reasonably exciting. It's not Alien 1 though, the design of the alien is too bland for that.
>>
I seriously wonder how many people trashing this movie hail Alien as the best of its genre.
>>
>>83518297
Yeah, but at least it reminded you that even astronauts are liable to mistakes, which the government would've weighed up as a possibility.

Basically giving the message that it's not so "out there" for astronauts to be flawed.
>>
>>83514471
this, i was surprised how fast it all went along and they revealed the pretty unique monster pretty quick
>>
>>83518268
Co produced and released by Sony actually.

Though the real question is how in the hell do they stay in business with this many bombs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skydance_Media
>>
>>83518379
>>83518374
Oh. Well shit, what a wasted opportunity this was then.
>>
>the rat scene
Umm, little warning next time?
>>
>>83518193
What's terrible is that so many people wanted this and so many people are pissed off it didn't happen that they might try and manage it retroactively with the Hardy film and make a colossal mess out of it.
>>
>>83518451
seeing the rat should have been all the warning you needed. Soon as I saw the rat my thoughts were "that nigga gon die"
>>
>>83518451
>150.500.120 random annoying cuts on the rat during other scenes
>>
>>83518193
fuck me that would've made my day. Would've loved to see The faces of everyone around me in the cinema, too.
>>
>>83518514
Pre-theaters I mean. Couldn't be seen walking out now could I since it was obvious to the whole audience of course what I was trying to avoid.

but seriously, kinda nice how the shot lingered on it

>>83518527
It was show the audience that there was an american, a russian, a brit, a japanese, AND a serb on board.
>>
>>83514444
checked, basically this.
It has the plot of what should be a horror film, and yet the tone is completely wrong and falls flat. Not to mention the alien isn't intimidating at all, and looks like fucking Flubber.

It would've been much cooler if it had a scary tone and actually had proper gore, ala The Thing. When it originally consumed the mouse, I thought it was going to act like The Blob and do this body horror shit where it eats people alive while you watch them dissolve into a skeleton and such. But no, all you ever see are some blood droplets.

also, the concept is dumb. If it can grow from a single cell, then everywhere the alien touches should end up being covered in microscopic cells of it, which can then grow into full-sized aliens if given enough time. Merely touching the alien should result in you getting consumed cell-by-cell, but after it grows but, it only eats people selectively.
>>
>>83514312
The first 20 minutes were good. As soon as the amoeba grabbed that snapped bit of wand to puncture the glove then the entire thing looked like a Flubber sequel.

I have no idea how anybody could find something like that scary. Even its evolved state later in the movie, it just looked like a CGI mess.

>Tfw they could have made the movie into a body horror where that thing gets inside you like Reynolds character and eats you from the inside and nobody can do anything about it
>Instead it turns into generic GOTTA JUMP FROM ONE SIDE OF THE SPACE STATION TO THE OTHER garbage

No space movie will ever out do Event Horizon in regards to dread of the unknown.
>>
I don't know how they managed to make a movie set in a space-station with a hostile alien life form have this little suspense. The moment Calvin got out, the movie turned into a generic horror flick with literally every trope in the book.

Also: does anyone else think they completely missed the mark with the alien? The initial premise was that it was incredibly intelligent and could learn and adapt quickly. The moment where it broke off the rod to rip the glove was brilliant and then it seems that the writers just forgot about that entire aspect and made it act like the most forgettable b-movie monster imaginable. At first I thought that by the end it would be piloting the entire space station or something along those lines.

Overall: 6/10, it's watchable.
>>
>>83518663
>if given enough time

The only reason the first cells grew was because they were feeding it a fuckton, in a form it could digest. It didn't just magically multiply on its own. One cell wouldn't be able to break down the human skin to feed, and at its size it wouldn't be able to do what it did with the rat(yet).
>>
if you're not gonna tell the crew about the third firewall then maybe just maybe don't make it so that anyone in the crew can fuck it all up by doing rational things like opening the airlock to what they think is a rescue shuttle?
>>
>>83518709
>thing gets inside you like Reynolds character and eats you from the inside and nobody can do anything about it

I thought what was going to happen was that Reynolds would turn into a skinwalker thing where Flubber would hijack his central nervous system and take over his body while he's still conscious and pleading for help.

Instead we got an Alien ripoff but with a stupid jellyfish CGI clown "monster" and no tone. And yet, it's still less of a mess than Alien Covenant, desu senpai.
I really wish we had a new movie like Event Horizon.
>>
>>83518791
>At first I thought that by the end it would be piloting the entire space station or something along those lines.
But it kind of did. Jake's character trapped it in an escape pod and turned it to manual so he could fly out of orbit and go spinning away from earth but the monster wrapped itself around his arms and made him fly it down towards earth instead.
>>
>>83518830
That was fucking retarded. What reason is there to keep the third firewall a secret? Why wouldn't everyone know that if the station gets compromised, they'll need to sacrifice it and themselves in order to contain it?
>>
File: 1463142634253.jpg (21KB, 300x316px) Image search: [Google]
1463142634253.jpg
21KB, 300x316px
>>83514312
>first death is black astronaut
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>83518844
>new movie like Event Horizon.
If event Horizon came out folks would bury it in autism
>>
>>83518962
Reynolds and the russian chick died before him. He just got his hand bones crushed.
>>
>>83518830
This. Jesus fuck it the shuttle was there just to push the space station out of orbit then why the fuck did it attach itself to the fucking airlock. And if it for some reason HAD to attach itself to the airlock then why the fuck didn't they keep the airlock on their side closed??
>>
>>83518830
>don't mind us, guys, we're just retrofitting this door so that none of you guys will be able to open it, despite the fact that it's a crucial part of how it's operated

Earth didn't tell everyone on the space station about the plan because they were counting on the fact that someone might panic and decide to risk Earth to save their own life, which they might achieve if they knew about the plan. Which is a very fucking good thing to keep in your calculations, because scared humans fighting for their life often will risk other people. It's a basic part of your psyche and why heroic sacrifices are just that.
>>
>>83518820
So why was Calvin so fucking strong at his earliest stage and he never really got much stronger after that? He fucking turned that guys hand into dust as a tiny little thing the size of a mouse but when he was a giant fucking octopus he couldn't even break the glass on that sleep pod.
>>
>>83518962
>trying to lazily meme a movie you haven't watched

Kill yourself, faggot.
>>
>>83514624
t.shlomo
>>
>>83519012
They had to attach so they could fly it out past orbit and then disconnect and fly back, as for why they opened their side I have no idea. maybe they felt bad that they were sending a bunch of people to their deaths but even so that was their protocol and they agreed to it.
>>
>>83518921
I thought about it, but I'm still not entirely sure that's the implication. It looked more like he couldn't pilot the shuttle properly because the tentacles restrained him.

If the alien did learn how to pilot the shuttle and somehow concluded that it needed to go to Earth, it would mean that he had made a leap from chimp-level intelligence in the first 95% of the movie to human-level intelligence over the course of the final few minutes.
>>
>>83519030
But the asian guy DID open it manually with no problems because he thought they were there to rescue them. And because of that the whole plan got fucked up causing the station to start falling to earth.
>>
>>83519119
>>83519012

I just assumed that the airlock was opened because of automatic protocol stuff, because the whole station and docking procedure was designed and built around the fact that when something docks it's because you're loading or offloading shit.

Basically everything that went to shit always went to shit because it was a space station retrofitted to work as a bio-lab, rather than being constructed for that purpose to begin with.
>>
>>83519183
At the very least the monster held his arms back and turned the auto pilot to earth back on since we see Jake at least start to fly it away from earth. Jake was completely restrained so something had to activate the parachutes.
>>
File: f56a28823cde1b3e963a04dd9464ed75.jpg (275KB, 1280x1923px) Image search: [Google]
f56a28823cde1b3e963a04dd9464ed75.jpg
275KB, 1280x1923px
I want to suck on Rebecca Ferguson's nose and lick her face.
>>
>>83519273
Since it could crunch the black guys hand with no problems when it was just the size of an orange peel I kinda expected it to snap Jake's limbs like toothpicks but apparently they were fairly matched in strength.
>>
>>83517843
>they see Calvin
>looks tasty
>eat Calvin
>>
>>83519220
Earth was running under the assumption that if he'd known that he was about to get sacrificed he would have still opened that hatch to try and escape. Or he would have used an escape pod earlier since he knows for a fact help isn't coming, thus risking to bring an infection back with him.

Telling someone that they'll be sacrificed doesn't help you if you run under the assumption that he won't allow his own sacrifice, which Earth obviously did. And if you start retrofitting doors so they can't be used like they're designed to be used then the people will start asking questions, revealing your plan.

It's not like Calvin spread to Earth because of the docking. Earth probably knew that if Calvin did get into the shuttle then there'd still be a 99% chance of all of it getting pushed into space, which is all they care about. It was an acceptable risk after shit went down. Forewarning everyone is not.
>>
>>83519370
That is the part of the movie I didn't get, like I said here>>83519062
He should have been able to snap people like fucking slim Jim's by the end of the movie. but the Japanese guy was able to easily pull him off of the doctor girl.
>>
File: Jian Yang.jpg (71KB, 892x577px) Image search: [Google]
Jian Yang.jpg
71KB, 892x577px
>>83519386
OCTOPUS.
>>
>>83517843
>Calvin escapes it's test cell
>Dies of air pollution
>>
>watching
>so slow boring and stupid it feels like days are passing
>movie finally, mercifully ends
>only 90 minutes have passed

how the fuck
>>
The rules they created for the Alien, was a bit too unbelievable.
-Fire resistant
-Can live in space for a good duration.
-Strangely smart from the beginning.
-grows

I liked it, sorta.
>>
>>83519425
But if they told the crew about the third firewall then there was still a chance that they'd agree to sacrificing their lives for the greater good. However if the space shuttle just arrives out of the blue then obviously the crew is gonna believe that they're being rescued and go for the airlock.

And if they didn't trust the crew to do the right thing then why have escape pods pre programmed to head back to earth on the station?
>>
The whole plot was dependent on the crew being stupid as balls. It just reeks of bad writing.
>>
Calvin was adorable.
>>
>>83514312
I'm watching it right now.

If humanity is so stupid that we didn't build incinerators into our alien life research labs or have robotic arms to manipulate the alien with; and if our best and brightest are so fucking retarded that they continued to break quarantine, and if our BEST PLAN FOR KILLING THE ALIEN IS TO "DEPRIVE IT OF AN ATMOSPHERE" DESPITE SEEING IT SURVIVE AND THRIVE IN OUTER SPACE, then as a species we DESERVE to crash and burn and get mercilessly slaughtered by this thing.
>>
>the only way we can kill it is to suffocate it!
>cut to shot of it scampering around IN THE VACUUM OF SPACE for what had to be hours

>we have to seal it in this airlock!
>cut to shot of it getting into the station through a thruster.
>this will work because it won't just leave through the vents and get right back in through a thruster

>the only plan we have is to push the space station off into deep space! (not possible)
>oops that didn't work time for the escape pods!
>oh no it got to earth we had no contingency for this!
>>
>>83519650
>And if they didn't trust the crew to do the right thing then why have escape pods pre programmed to head back to earth on the station?
This. Their plan to prevent a potential deadly bacteria from reaching earth was fucking awful, if they were going to do this for one thing they needed an actual space lab that was designed to BE a space lab and not just a shoddy refit. and then you would have to tell people ahead of time that this is a mission you might have to die on if things go wrong. Bringing a guy with a baby on the way to a potential suicide mission and not warning him is beyond fucked.
>>
> Vents oxygen in Zarya

> "Okay it's suffocating!"

You've literally just seen this thing survive in outer space.
>>
> Firewall 3 is to push us out into deep space

> David is somehow disappointed by this

As if astronauts aren't patriotic motherfuckers who have all but decided to give their lives for the good of mankind
>>
>>83519837
>oh no it got to earth we had no contingency for this!

It would literally have been fine if those seaniggers didn't converge on the pod to try and steal anything they could find off of it.
>>
>>83519972
>patriotic
> the good of mankind
Heh, not so fast Hitler.
>>
>>83519972
I think he was bothered by the fact it wasn't possible with the amount of propellant on a Soyuz.
>>
> Soyuz capsule docking mechanism can breach

What the FUCK IS THIS WRITING
>>
>>83519895
I love how they had zero containment methods planned for a thing like this. they were dealing with unknown bacteria from a foreign planet that could wipe out the human race. that entire lab room should have been designed to be a massive incinerator that you can jettison into space and pilot remotely in the event of a breach of containment.
>>
> Calvin jumps on Shou and the two disappear into the soyuz

> MIRANDA FUCKING FOLLOWS THEM IN TO TRY AND BE A FUCKING HERO; BECAUSE BEING A HERO HAS WORKED EVERY OTHER FUCKING TIME IN THIS MOVIE HASN'T IT
>>
>>83520003
I think the point is a tactical nuke or Thermobaric weapon could've been routed to the crash site and waiting for fair tick before the pod splashed down.
>>
>>83514758
>black nigger
>>
>>83519830

Real life fire is a huge no no in space because it's an oxygen rich environment.
>>
>>83520096
>he hasn't seen white niggers

it ain't pretty
>>
>>83520017

> Firewall three is to push us out into deep space

> Earth receives distress call from the ISS

> Sends a Soyuz without enough fuel to perform firewall 3, to perform firewall 3

The the idiots at NASA are just as retarded as the idiots in orbit
>>
>>83520140
The gradeschoolers in the beginning were clearly the smartest characters.
>>
>>83519830
they explicitly said that it wasnt planned to bring an alien on that mission
the crew decided it on their own will
so its obvious the ship is not alien proof
>>
>>83520161
>naming an Alien freak after a guy who contributed to bringing religious strife to Europe
Fuckers were ahead of their time.
>>
>>83520080
Isn't it still a thing where mission command loses contact with the pods of returning astronauts for a couple of minutes after re-entry, before they can be located again? I thought the part where the fishermen showed up was taking place in that moment, dooming earth just because it happened to splash down near their boats.

Also I'm not sure I'd use any weapon on the pod bearing a creature that's resistant to fire and can survive space. That's how you get an ending-to-Return-Of-The-Living-Dead situation.
>>
>Daniél Espinosa
not even once
he is the current choice to direct AKIRA by the way, not that peele has passed on it
>>
>>83520171
>hey since we're going to retrofit a pod to be a lab, why not one of the detachable areas?

>nah put it dead center in the station.
>>
>>83520171

> Bringing an alien onboard a ship that isn't alienproof

Okay not retarded in the way I thought they were; but they're still fucking stupid.
>>
>>83520208
if you nitpick small shit like this you can make Alien and The Thing look bad too
>>
> Meanwhile you get into Boat B, you push the button, and it'll take you back home.

Fuck off idiot there's no guarantee you both aren't carrying a single dormant calvin cell somewhere as the alien's backup plan. NOBODY gets to go home now and the quarantine officer of all people should know this.
>>
>>83520200
to be fair, it was never shown to be resistant to fire. Ryan reynold's character just had extremely shitty aim.

and losing contact doesn't mean much, as it doesn't have much capacity to change it's reentry trajectory, so the landing site can be narrowed down to a few square miles, then once the chutes deploy it'll be airborne for several more minutes.
>>
>>83520298
>making every stupid decision possible for no reason

>nitpicking

If you act like any sort of criticism is nitpicking then I guess you can easily find a way to enjoy eating your own shit.
>>
>>83520341
because its not as bad as you make it out to be
some parts were stupid yes, but mostly their decisions were fine
every horror movie needs some stupid actions to keep the story going
>>
> Whole alien's body is a brain
> Whole alien is bigger than a human brain
> Whole alien therefore smarter than a human
> Alien shows itself to be smart enough to navigate a space station just hours from birth
> Still falls for obvious bait
>>
>>83520400
Oh sorry, didn't realize you were a horrorfag. I always assume people are capable of intelligent/rational thought.

Horror's complete and total reliance upon convenient character stupidity is the main reason it's such a worthless genre as a whole.
>>
> David trapped in an escape pod with the alien
> LiterallyOneJob: to push himself and alien into deep space
> Pauses to think about Miranda
>>
MUH BABY
>>
how could melvin fly in space and without gravities?
>>
>>83520443
its not just horror, almost every movie has characters making irrational decisions based on gut feeling or emotions
its just how humans work
>>
>>83520533

I thought about that too but I think it kinda flies like birds do. It was a bit bullshit but I'm prepared to give that particular piece of bullshit a free pass.
>>
>>83520552
and almost every movie is shit.
>>
>>83520422
> Whole alien therefore smarter than a human

How are you posting from the 19th century?
>>
>>83520422
Just because you are super intelligent doesn't mean maturity doesn't come into play. I'm pretty sure we could have all tricked Stephen Hawking into doing dumb shit if he was five years old.

It was learning throughout the movie. it wasn't even aggressive until the retarded doctor decided to shock it awake and activated its self defense reflexes.
>>
>>83520533
>>83520580
Did he fly? I though he just latched unto the station and jumped from it.
>>
>movie could have ended with jake's character coming out of the pod as venom
Really could have redeemed this movie if they actually went with that kind of ending.
>>
Wait hold the fuck up I must have missed something. Did the Alien end up in the pod heading back toward Earth and Miranda end up heading into deep space?

It looked like it happened the other way around; that's all.
>>
>>83520664
Did you decide to stop watching the movie two minutes before it ended?
>>
>>83520664
dude it was epic twist lmao
>>
>>83514312
I liked it. It was rather nostalgic like I was watching a different version of the movie Alien only more modern and less grimy. Ending was Kino. But, don't think the rest of the movie was more than moderately good.
>>
>>83520664
Miranda hit a piece of debris from the station which fucked up her systems and sent her hurtling in the opposite direction with no guidance to get her back on track to earth.

Jake was starting to fly out of orbit with Calvin but Calvin woke up, and either turned auto-pilot to earth back on or literally puppet mastered Jake into flying down to earth.
>>
How did Calvin even know what radio communication is? That's before even it knowing where it was located on the satellite?

Literally a soon as it was released it was destroyed.
>>
>>83520648

Yeah; it jumped around the station in some sequences but kinda 'swam' in others. I'll let the 'swimming' pass because it could have been using its fins like wings and been flapping them against the air. Works for birds on earth so it's plausible that Calvin's doing the same.

>>83520688
>>83520692

Nah still going a bunch of fishermen have just seen the lifepod that I'm pretty sure Miranda's in. At least, that's what the movie has led me to believe up until this point.

>>83520709

Well fuck

Wait hold up WHY AM I ONLY SEEING MIRANDA CRYING AND SCREAMING NOW
The movie let me believe Miranda was heading toward earth and David/Calvin were heading into space for the last few minutes. NOW it's revealing that's incorrect and it's fucking bullshit.

This isn't a good plot twist. You can't just completely mislead me into thinking one thing happened by way of having EVERY SINGLE DETAIL YOU PROVIDE suggest that, and then reveal that, in fact, the opposite happened. Fuck that.
>>
File: 1496375095680.png (365KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1496375095680.png
365KB, 600x400px
I wonder how smart is was when it was crawling over that one chick's suit outside? The entire thing was one big distributed neural network. Meaning it was as though you were seeing a brain. Like 100% brain that moves like an octopus. It would have more processing power than several humans put together at that point. No wonder it was usually 3 steps ahead of the crew pretty much the entire time.
>>
>>83520768
He fed on the coolant liquid, the communications array was just a coincidence.
>>
>>83520832
>coincidence

I seriously doubt that, given how large it was already. That fucker was extremely smart.
>>
>>83520788
I seriously hope that you're just pretending to be a retard posting on /tv/ while watching a movie.
>>
>>83520788
I take it you completely missed the crash into the debris and the alien pulling the guy's hands from the control stick...
>>
>>83520788
>>83520692
>>83520688
>>83520664

> Two capsules head off from the ISS
> One with David/Calvin, one with Miranda
> David's terrified but calm
> Miranda makes her black box recording like everything is fine
> We see the re-entry
> David still terrified but calm
> Miranda still a-ok

Two minutes later

> HURR DURR WE TRICKED YOU THE ALIEN AND DAVID WERE HEADING TO EARTH AND MIRANDA'S FLOATING INTO SPACE SCREAMING EPIC PLOT TWIST XD

That's not a plot twist; that's a joke and my 7 year old sister can tell better jokes than that
>>
>>83520867
It's mental capacity was all over the place. It knew how to use tools when it was smaller than a rat, then when it had grown it couldn't figure out how to break simple glass.

It also got tricked into getting into pod in the dumbest way possible.
>>
>>83520907
> Two capsules head off from the ISS
> One with David/Calvin, one with Miranda
> David's terrified but calm
> Miranda makes her black box recording like everything is fine
> Miranda's pod strikes debris and veers off course
> Calvin rips David's hands from the constrol stick and their pod plummets towards Earth

Fxied.
>>
>>83520907
The plot twist was obvious the moment David mentioned 2 escape pods. It was shitty and hamfisted, I agree.
>>
>>83520950
It wasn't tricked. It didn't need to break the glass.
>>
>>83520907
>>83520992
>>83520788
Did we watch the same movie? Was a whole section cut from the film in your version?
>>
>>83521014
>It didn't need to break the glass
I'm talking about the moment Hanzo locked himself in the sleeping-pod. It was obviously implied that the alien wanted to get in.
>It wasn't tricked.
Explain. Do you seriously believe the writers implied that the alien was so intelligent it knew exactly were and to what end David was luring him and it just decided to "play along"?
>>
>>83520768
water... it didn't know
>>
What did the alien look like? Does anybody have a pic of it?
>>
>>83520897
>>83520980
>>83521048

To be fair, I wasn't following this scene particularly well as at that point I didn't give a fuck about the movie anymore. All I really saw, though, was two escape pods; one headed toward earth and one headed toward space. I didn't see any screams of terror or despair from either Miranda nor David so I assumed that despite the crash (which was with a fucking paper thin solar panel and shouldn't have resulted in anything) everything was okay.

My bad boys; maybe I should have been paying more attention.

Honestly though; when a crash happens and as a result humanity is completely fucked I kind of expect to see a response from Miranda and/or David. The fact that I didn't was what made me think that everything was all good.

Please excuse my stupidity this one time; I think the film's been rubbing off on me.

>>83520980

> Calvin rips David's hands from the control stick and their pod plummets towards Earth.

...why does the pod plummet towards Earth? Didn't David - a trained pilot - immediately point the pod away from Earth the moment Calvin was distracted and burn all the fuel the pod had as to A) get the pod away from Earth and B) ensure that the superintelligent alien stuck in there with him wouldn't have a chance to turn the pod?

That's what I thought David would do but hey this wouldn't be the first time a character in Life has proven they don't have a brain.

>>83520881

Nah I've actually been watching it and posting to /tv/ while watching it. Why? Because posting to /tv/ is actually more entertaining than this film.
>>
>>83521271
Watch the movie faggot
>>
>>83521117
I'm talking about the same scene for the sleeping pod.

>Explain

There was literally nothing they could do to trick or stop it. It had already spent a longer amount of time outside in total vacuum than inside without some oxygen. "Luring" it wasn't a trick. It had already explored the entire station and knew there was no way anyone could actually stop it.
>>
>>83515461
Just looks like another angle of existing stock footage. very common.
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 1791x910px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 1791x910px
>>83521271

Pic related
>>
>>83521324
>thread about explaining the stupidity of a movie
>someone tells me to watch the movie

Ok, buddy
>>
>>83521271
It looks fine. It looks like a sea creature that has a translucent body in many places. That in itself will look fake in real life.

https://www.google.com/search?q=translucent+sea+creatures&tbm=isch
>>
>>83514312
Was it like the game?
>>
> Alien breaks containment
> Breaks one guy's hand and kills another
> Quarantine officer: "Shou, it's trying to escape through the vents. Shut them down!"
> Shou: "The CPU overrode us!"
>Quarantine officer: "It's searching for a way out."
> Shou: "The system won't give me access to it."

What the fuck? Did Calvin somehow hack into the ISS computer to ensure that the automatic "Seal the fucking lab" button wouldn't work? If not, why the hell is the ISS locking the astronauts out of the quarantine control procedures when they need to use the quarantine control procedures?

And, what kind of dialogue is, "The CPU overrode us!"
>>
>>83521611
>what kind of dialogue is, "The CPU overrode us!"
sci-fi nonsense dialogue
>>
File: Capture.png (3MB, 1920x916px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
3MB, 1920x916px
>>83521271
>>83521396

Another
>>
>>83521398
>i base my opinion around things random people on Vietnamese comics forum say
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 1920x917px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 1920x917px
>>83521271
>>83521396
>>83521673

One more for good luck
>>
>>83521673
>>83521396
>>83521447
Thanks.
>>
>>83514312
Your 8/10 is barely 5/10 for people who have taste. Sorry we're not all plebs like you OP.
>>
>>83521717
thanks based anon
>>
File: Life2017.1080P.HDTC--.RARBT.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Life2017.1080P.HDTC--.RARBT.webm
3MB, 480x270px
>>83521288
When they hit debris, their pods switch places and you can see the switch happen at 1:16 in this image. At the beginning you can see her pod leaving and taking up position and it is the one that hits the debris later on, hence the monitor problems
>>
First I've thought it's an Evolution remake but without Head&Shoulders ad, then hoped it would turn into something like the Splice movie but it failed both times. And no really nasty scenes like The Thing had.
>>
File: Capture.png (538KB, 1569x693px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
538KB, 1569x693px
>>83521857

Ok, I'm watching the scene again. Here's why the bait and switch is bullshit.

The scene starts out with pic related. We don't know which pod is which as neither is obviously moving downward or upward.
>>
>>83518962
It wasn't the black astronaut.
>>
>>83521917
but it turned that dude's hand into CGI! that's pretty scary!
>>
File: cap1.png (1MB, 1920x879px) Image search: [Google]
cap1.png
1MB, 1920x879px
>>83522037

Then this bullshit happens
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 1920x891px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 1920x891px
>>83522111

And at no point is it obvious which capsule is going up, which is going down, or even which capsule is supposed to be going up or down. For all I know, the capsule that hit the debris and got knocked upward was the capsule that was SUPPOSED to be heading out into space.
>>
>>83522173
low-functioning autism.
>>
Would it be better if it really was a Venom backstory movie?
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 1919x883px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 1919x883px
>>83522173

Next, Miranda's screen glitches. She seems to panic about this, but that's understandable - I'd panic, too, if I was in a re-entry pod and my screen glitched.

And, during one of the flashes Miranda's pod clearly depicts it's trajectory - headed toward the Earth.
>>
>>83522037
For fuck sake I just told which pod is which in >>83521857 and provided a webm for you. The last pod to leave the station is her pod. It drifts to the right side of the screen which means when you are behind the two pods watching them move away from the camera she is in the left pod. If they are coming toward the camera she is in the pod on the right. After the debris hits her pod drifts over to the other side of the other pod and starts to climb.
>>
>>83522230
Or a more dark more realistic Green Lantern remake.
>>
File: cap1.png (2MB, 1920x905px) Image search: [Google]
cap1.png
2MB, 1920x905px
>>83522231

Next, we see a cut of David's pod with him struggling with the controls.
>>
>>83522221
Frankly, this. Time to abandon thread.
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 1920x898px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 1920x898px
>>83522330

This is then followed by a shot of one of the pods spinning and climbing.

Given that we've just seen David wrestle with the control stick, and given that we're now seeing a pod actively use its thrusters, it seems reasonable that the pod that's spinning and climbing is David's.

In addition, because we've just come from a shot from inside David's pod, it seems reasonable that the pod we're now looking at is David's pod, too.
>>
>>83522400
>>83522291

I don't mean to argue; and I agree that when I look back at the footage it is indeed Miranda who flys off into space while David heads toward Earth. All I'm trying to say is that this scene was confusing and could have been handled a lot better. It's a lazy bait and switch.
>>
>>83522466
It isn't a bait and switch if you are paying attention or have solid logical/critical thinking skills.
>>
anything with the big eyebrows guy in it turns to shit. he reminds my of Toby magure, and the only thing that fucker is remembered for is dancing like a spaz in spiderman.

I digress. the movie was OK. its not terrible, but it honestly peaks at the first death scene.

from there it's canned cliches that come of as try hard acting. there's even a scene where the Toby McGuire look alike reacts to something that hasn't even happened yet. weird passing.

6.8/10
>>
File: 1469741834524.jpg (53KB, 669x669px) Image search: [Google]
1469741834524.jpg
53KB, 669x669px
>>83514312
>that ending

I enjoyed it, 6/10
>>
File: alien.jpg (841KB, 2054x3790px) Image search: [Google]
alien.jpg
841KB, 2054x3790px
>>83514312
>something that even Alien can't do
would have been the perfect vehicle to wrap up the Alien franchise
>>
>perfectly good Venom prequel
But of course Sony studios won't use it and will just make a shitty origin story
>>
>>83520788
>You can't just completely mislead me into thinking one thing happened by way of having EVERY SINGLE DETAIL YOU PROVIDE suggest that, and then reveal that, in fact, the opposite happened.

That is a pretty common movie trope though. Alien Covenant did the same thing with the David/Walter switcheroo.
>>
>>83523233
>entire threat in the movie is it going to Earth and genociding us
>wanting the ending to reveal that the extent of the havoc the Alien is going to wreak on Earth is fighting a blue-red spandex in NY
Hmm, I don't like it as well as you do.
>>
>>83523260
Only Life didn't do that. It shows everything. Anon is just a tard. Seems most people are.
>>
>>83523291
>wants to take over the world
>oshit super heros
>take out the biggest threats first
>one of them spiderman
>boom big reveal Venom
This is all head cannon and none of it will happen. Sony will just make a very shitty origin story which will be Iron Man 5: Rise of Venom. Featuring Spiderman
>>
File: 1372672615597.jpg (368KB, 840x700px) Image search: [Google]
1372672615597.jpg
368KB, 840x700px
>that ending
most terrifying thing in the whole movie
>>
>>83523376
Well to your credit, it would've meant having Gyllenhaal in those movies so that would've been dandy yeah.
>>
>>83523438
Life ended with Gyllenhaal half digested. He ded
>>
Why was the black dude's broken floppy hand affected by gravity when he pulled it out of the rubber glove when nothing else was?
>>
File: What is weightlessness.webm (950KB, 1920x798px) Image search: [Google]
What is weightlessness.webm
950KB, 1920x798px
>>83523418
lmao, good eye
>>
>>83523857
meant for >>83523476
>>
I wouldn't mind if they did an action sequel on this, like Cloverfield.
>>
I wanna watch this

Who are some decent film uploaders?

I used ETRG for ages cause hard coded subs when needed but I can't seem to find anyone else that does it, it's always a separate file for the whole fucking film
>>
It was supposed to be a horror but didn't feel like a horror at all. It was more like a boring, slow action movie.
>>
>>83523857
Thanks

I read it on the IMDb goof page...
>>
>>83523995
Evolution got you covered, brah.
>>
>>83514312
average movie, good cgi for indie movie 6/10
>>
>>83514312
>Calvin

like seriously fuck off with that shit

the alien design also sucked dick
>>
>>83524064
FAGGOT
>>
>>83521396
Why can't Hollywood design good monsters anymore?
>>
>>83523857
god damnit, hand wounds are supposed to be fucking beautiful, thats the lamest fucking hand wound I've ever seen
>>
File: Critical Welshman.jpg (20KB, 302x354px) Image search: [Google]
Critical Welshman.jpg
20KB, 302x354px
>>83524953
>hand wounds are supposed to be fucking beautiful
>>
File: 1350939392371.jpg (6KB, 208x250px) Image search: [Google]
1350939392371.jpg
6KB, 208x250px
>>83524953
>hand wounds are supposed to be fucking beautiful
>>
>>83519293

literally a succubus
>>
>>83514312
Ryan Reynolds gags hated it because he died in the first 30 minutes. Good riddance
>>
This movie could have been amazing if it had a bigger budget and a slightly grander concept.

>Station isn't just retrofitted to be a makeshift bio-lab but is actually designed from the ground up to be a space lab with all the bells and whistles
>Bigger crew, more like a Dozen or so
>Concept is sort of like System shock/The thing

Calvin can get into the body of a host and control them, at the start he isn't very good at it but over the course of the movie he gets better even being able to control speech and mimic human behavior, this would look like what happened with Reynolds character but more gruesome, until Calvin got good enough to control it better.
>>
real question is who wins

alien or Calvin
>>
>>83525949

>alien

you mean Hobbes?
>>
>>83523995
>sequel

KYS

No I mean it. Stop with the sequel shit. Learn when to leave shit alone.
>>
>>83514312
>Life
>Better than Alien at anything

Get the fuck out.
>>
Did Ryan Ryenolds ever play anything but an obnoxious quipping faggot who ruins the atmosphere?
>>
Extremely mediocre and forgettable.

But the ending made me laugh. Could have been more effective if I gave a shit about the characters.
>>
Having Calvin become Venom would be a downgrade for this creature given how it acts.
>>
File: 58374639450.jpg (37KB, 350x465px) Image search: [Google]
58374639450.jpg
37KB, 350x465px
>>83514312
>life
>>
Can we at least agree that it was better than Alien:Cuckvenant?
>>
I liked the ending. I think it's trying to become overmind.
>>
>>83514312
Because we've seen it all before, only done so much more competently and with way less dry technobable and cryptic philosophical allusions to hide how bad the script was.
Overall, a giant waste of a cast and production design that would have been better spent on something less dumb and predictable.
>>
>>83514874
Would have been cool yeah but was debunked. Thinking Sony would be competent enough to do something that interesting was wishful thinking in the first place.
>>
File: rebecca-ferguson.jpg (2MB, 3090x4324px) Image search: [Google]
rebecca-ferguson.jpg
2MB, 3090x4324px
>>83519293
>>
>>83514312
This movie was better than Alien Covenant
>>
Just watched it a moment ago.

>utterly predictable
>everything moves way too fast
>boring alien design
>goodnight moon 2DEEP4U
>asspull communication interruption
>flat dialogue

It wasn't awful for most of the time, but it's not memorable or entertaining.
>>
File: 1496212003186.jpg (67KB, 577x527px) Image search: [Google]
1496212003186.jpg
67KB, 577x527px
LOL fucking hell this ending was way too fucking predictable, i called this waaaay in advance kek

And of course they had to throw in le happy dissonant ending credits soundtrack aswell for good measure

Still that brit scientist actress was a top qt imo tbqh
>>
it would have been cool if they had actually divulged the ending a bit, seeing calvin consume all life on earth
Thread posts: 240
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.