[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the lack of iconic roles stopping The Rock to become

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6

Is the lack of iconic roles stopping The Rock to become as big as Arnold?
>>
his movies are b-list if it wasn't for him

im mean, his movies are crap and no one really enjoys them
the only good thing in em is literally him
>>
>>83513144
I think he's trying to be Will Smith, not Arnold. He doesn't really do muscle movies like Arnold did. I don't see The Rock holding up some big fucking gun trying to mow down the predator monster.
>>
Arnold got famous by doing a string of brutally violent action movies.
>>
>>83513193
Doom
>>
>>83513169
But will he be remembered in several decades? Arnold has Terminator, Predator and Conan. What does The Rock have?
>>
>>83513218
a meme tribal tattoo over the biggest body in the hollywood
>>
>>83513218
Pain and gain was Bay's best movie after the rock
>>
>>83513218
Also the original total recall
Arnold's movies are often great even if Arnold was removed. Same can't be said for the Rock
>>
>>83513144
he's too well spoken and good at acting. If he were less intelligent and was able to do the strong silent type, he'd be great. But the reality is that he won't shut the fuck up
>>
>>83513218
No one likes muscle movies anymore

All the manchildren like capeshit instead
>>
>>83513218
The Scorpion of course
>>
>>83513215
Congrats, you listed one movie that just barely counts that he probably did since he was starting out and it was the only role he could get.
>>
>>83513259
The Scorpion King*
>>
>>83513244
Do you think The Rock regrets not being in Michael Bay's The Rockā„¢?
>>
>>83513272
You literally used the term "Big Fucking Gun"
>>
>>83513272

Fast and the Furious with that detached LMG from the drone.
>>
>>83513215
I guess, but no one saw that. He also started out with Walking Tall and Running Tall or whatever the fuck those identical looking movies were called, but I believe they were comedies as well.

Maybe Doom aside, Rock hasn't really don't any straight action movies in the same vein as Arnold. But at the same time, I'm not sure those movies are still being made. Expendables? Christ.
>>
>>83513218

The Rundown
>>
>>83513252
>No one likes muscle movies anymore
Most of the capeshit heroes are muscled tho.
>>
>>83513281
> the rock, starring the rock and nicholas cage

I'd watch
>>
The thing people fail to understand is that Arnold's mythology was built around working with actually good filmmakers, on good projects that allowed him to shine to the best of his abilities: Cameron, McTiernan, Milius, Verhoeven... everybody remembers him for Predator and Terminator and Conan, roles that actually used his physical presence with intelligence and for thematic reasons, nobody gives a shit about Red Heat and all that crap. This applies for any single big movie star in film history btw, it's actor theory 101. Without those great talents, he'd just be another retarded third-rate action actor nobody gives a shit about, like Dolphie. Look where Cameron is now, dude is even bigger than Spielberg now. Rock can't pick projects to save his life. His idea of making a Conanesque epic is Hercules, by hiring Brett fucking Ratner. He will have no legacy.

Vin at least has the Riddick franchise, it will be fondly remembered.
>>
>>83513215

I don't see the rock impaling a man with a pipe against a water heater and asking him to let off some steam.
>>
>>83513294
But that's not a muscle movie. That single moment would be a good moment in a muscle movie, but it doesn't suddenly make F&F change genres.
>>
>>83513218
His wrestling career. Wrestling's always had a strange role just on the outside of popular culture. Certain things and people seep in without wrestling itself being huge.
>>
>>83513218
The Rock will be remembered, his movies won't (it's already hard to remember them without googling).
>>
>>83513144
He wad great as the gay aspiring actor in Be Cool
>>
>>83513320
There's a difference in terms of nerd fantasy however. In muscle films, the action hero is just a tough alpha guy who got to where he is through the military or personal dominance. For superheroes, it's almost invariably a nerd who by a stroke of luck is give abilities. It's an escapist power fantasy for nerds, where as action films are a Reno dear of chads and thus insecurities
>>
>>83513144
Arnold worked with Cameron, Verhoeven, McTiernan, Milius etc.

The directors Rock has the work with aren't even worthy of licking those guys dirty assholes clean.

Cameron is wasting his talent on Avatar garbage, the rest are out of the picture.

The kind of action movies Arnie is famous for is pretty much dead, that's why when something like The Raid or John Wick shows up out of nowhere people are extra excited.

If the Rock didn't make the garbage he's making, he'd be unemployed and would have to stick to wrestling.

So if he wants to be an actor he has no choice but to make garbage.
>>
>>83513244
pain and gain is awful
>>
>>83513144
no, the abundance of crappy roles is. this guy needs a successful franchise to get off the ground, not wacky comedies and reboots.
>>
>>83513492

Well if Man of Steel/Man of Tommorrow actually gets going we might see him as Black Adam as early as 2020, that's if his head doesn't explode from the roiding I'm exaggerating obviously, I know fuckall about the dangers of roids
>>
The Rock stops The Rock being as big as Arnold. Firstly because he refuses to play anything that doesn't make him not only the main character, but also a good guy. Secondly because his entire personality comes off as insincere, I bet he's a giant douche off camera.
>>
>>83513218
He's arguably one of the funniest actors in the business. Atleast for the people and not the critics.
>>
>>83513492
>The directors Rock has the work with aren't even worthy of licking those guys dirty assholes clean.

They're good enough to lick the Rock's clean though, and probably that's all that matters. Personally I think the guy's either a bit simple or just too ridiculously vain to acknowledge he doesn't have that kind of stature as a screen actor.
>>
>>83513618
>He's arguably one of the funniest actors in the business.

Why, because he always has a big stupid grin on his face everytime he says something? My fucking dog is fucking Jerry Seinfeld then
>>
>>83513144
>If the Rock didn't make the garbage he's making, he'd be unemployed and would have to stick to wrestling.

heh. I would like to see my face when I imagined the Rock getting locked out his trailer, working in the supermarket, eventually making speech about how his fans are his real family before he jumps off the rope, dies. I must have looked quite shocked and pained
>>
arnie is pure alpha male.

the rock looks like a gay.
>>
>>83513144
They don't even make movies like Arnold was in anymore
>>
Arnie has charisma, Dwayne not so much
>>
>>83513707
I'll have to get back to you on that one sometime. You've set me to thinking pretty hard though, which hardly ever happens any more.
>>
>>83513193
>I think he's trying to be Will Smith, not Arnold

I think everyone who ever wanted to "be" Arnold and couldn't tries to give that impression, anon.
>>
>>83513599
>he refuses to play anything that doesn't make him not only the main character
He's not the main guy in the last several F&F
>>
File: 9320e582ce7bcf96a09cb26af33b0459.jpg (201KB, 888x1389px) Image search: [Google]
9320e582ce7bcf96a09cb26af33b0459.jpg
201KB, 888x1389px
>>83513320

Few cape actors have as much muscle as the Rock does. I mean if Bale put on a suit, he looked like a normal person wearing a suit. When the Rock wears a suit it looks like he's working security at the event.
>>
>>83513851
lol his pants are to big for him though
>>
>>83513334
No one gives a shit about riddick
>>
>>83513599
I've met the rock. He's actually a very nice guy.
>>
>>83514038

Is he really a power bottom? How sweet was his candy ass?
>>
File: The_Rock_comic-1-600x300 1.jpg (67KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
The_Rock_comic-1-600x300 1.jpg
67KB, 600x300px
>>83513144
He doesn't have the charisma or the looks of Arnold. All he does is stand there like an asshole and make a face like this.
>>
File: sad-vin.jpg (173KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
sad-vin.jpg
173KB, 1080x720px
>>83514009
I only wanted to entertain!
>>
File: Riddick-Butcher-Bay.jpg (88KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Riddick-Butcher-Bay.jpg
88KB, 960x540px
>>83514009
/v/ does.
>>
>>83514103
>/v/
Exactly. A group of nobodies.
>>
>>83514281
You must love going there.
>>
>>83513851
>those wrinkles in his pants
My mother would kill me
>>
>>83513144

The Rock is Arnold minus good scripts and talent
>>
>>83514066
>the rock
>no charisma
>implying
You're talking about the most electrifying man in sports entertainment. The problem is the current state of the medium AND The Rock's desire to not be the biggest guy in action movies, but the biggest guy in Hollywood. He panders to women in a way Arnold never did. The Rock's quips are cute and funny, while Arnold's were serious and badass. It is partially the Rock's fault, but not solely.
>>
>>83514066
>>83515729
In fact, The Rock needs to relearn what Rocky Maivia already did. You don't see this Rock in Hollywood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k_QYTaWe14

Stop being the nice guy with the stupid grin on your face. The intensity and aggression needs to come back.
>>
>>83515729
I didn't say he didn't have any charisma, you need to read properly before getting butthurt and defensive about your husbando.
>>83515841
Wrestling videos aren't really going to help your case.
>>
>>83515729

>You're talking about the most electrifying man in sports entertainment

Really all he is the best clown around at the moment. I mean that as in most of his work is similar to that of an actual clown in that he dresses up in a funny costume, does acrobatic stunts, hurts himself and does funny faces. None of this makes him a charismatic person however.
>>
>>83514009
>>83513334
pitch black is class
>>
I just saw the new Baywatch movie and I gotta be honest:IT'S LITTY
The comedy is RAUNCHY and great for a RATED R movie. I was alone for some reason,A I guess I'm the only non-critic in my local cinema. The first ever joke in the film made me piss myself out of laughter. The smell of urine was massive,but that didn't stop me from watching it. When Daddario said to the HSM guy that her eyes were "up here",I took a massive shit,that would later take a shit of it's own. The smell of urine and shit apparently got the attention of the staff and they brought in the penis inspector. When he saw the fountain of urine my dick has caused,he rushed to the exit as fast as he could. I guess the penis inspector was just a critic. At the end of the movie,I felt thirsty, I barely had any existing liquid in my body. I drank the 7$ Coke until i threw it up out laughter because of that RAUNCHY RATED R JOKE Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson made! After that movie ended,I ended up in the hospital bed. BUT THAT DIDN'T STOP ME TO SEE THIS #LITTY MOVIE AGAIN!
>>
>>83513144
Rock was never good as an actor. He was always casted in shitty b tier and family movies. He's like a Polynesian version of Vin diesel. He gets typecasted for one type of role. Dave Bautista shows more potential
>>
>>83513711
You're joking right?
>>
File: 1494716932373.gif (51KB, 60x95px) Image search: [Google]
1494716932373.gif
51KB, 60x95px
>>83513246
idiot

Stallone was a genius and he did just fine as a muscle moviestar
>>
>>83514009
Nigga come on. Pitch Black is a good fucking movie.
>>
>>83513334
this
>>
>>83514009
I will fight you.
>>
>>83513144
His complete lack of charisma is stopping him.
>>
>>83514009
I unironically like The Chronicles of Riddick. Come at me punk.
>>
The Rock was always best as a cocky heel. All his roles in films are babyface and it gets really fucking boring.
>>
>>83514066
this
>>
>>83515626
She should have, before you were born.
>>
>>83513144
The rock is a joke, he literally plays characters who are joke and acts like a joke.
Take something like Furious 8 or something, you see him literally punching steal in and headsmacking guards who are wearing helmets, and something hes not injured and guard is K.O. , literally drives biggest truck they could find for some reason. He literally looked like the biggest joke in that movie (everyone else was joke to, but thats not the point).
He will never be good actor like Arnold and take serious roles.
>>
>>83513144
Or maybe being even worse actor then Arnold.
>>
>>83513144
>Is the lack of actual talent and charisma stopping The Rock to become as big as Arnold?
Yes.
>>
>people in this thread pretending like Arnold is a great actor
>even going so far as to say Batista is better than The Rock
Arnold and Batista played to/are playing to their strengths, which was their strength. Rock's a dummy for the roles and movies he chooses, but he's not less talented than fucking Batista.
>>
>>83514009
I do
>>
>>83513144
/ourguys/
>>
>>83519215
Batista chooses better, he plays in his character. The Rock chooses play some overroided cop, whos somehow also coaching girls soccer team? WTH? He also somehow can bend steal beams by punching them and ignore rubber bullets. He plays this ultra smart and successful cop.
Batista looks like roided dummy and he plays roided dummy.
The only Rock movie where he didnt look like a fucking joke was, him coming back to his hometown and beating down bunch of thugs. He fitted it his roll there.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.