[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have any different interpretations for Mulholland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: MulhollandDrive-Still1.jpg (33KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
MulhollandDrive-Still1.jpg
33KB, 600x338px
Does anyone have any different interpretations for Mulholland Drive other than the classic one?

S P O I L E R S

I subscribe to the "dream" interpretation but for the longest time, after I saw it first, I thought Diane's dream happened right after she kills herself and her brain creates this wishful reality to comfort her in her last seconds. It made the dream more effective and tragic for me (especially the Club Silencio scene, which is my favorite part), it goes from being just a dream to being THE dream. It wasn't until I rewatched recently and read other pieces on it that I realized that the most common interpretation situates the dream in some moment between Diane finding the blue key and the detectives knocking at her door, because the film opens with the POV shot of her head resting on a pillow. However, in her dream she finds herself dead in the same position that she died later (and there's something very lynchian in dead-dreaming about finding your own corpse) and right after the dream ends we see the cowboy telling her to wake up but she doesn't, the cowboy makes a worried face and leaves, implying that she's already dead. After that we get a scene of her waking up which is the exact point where the flashbacks start, which would situate this scene before the dream.
>>
File: poop-goblin.jpg (51KB, 529x352px) Image search: [Google]
poop-goblin.jpg
51KB, 529x352px
>>83500004
pic related.
>>
what do you make of the vagrant behind the Diner and the Diner dream discussion scene in general?
>>
>>83500004
if this is her dream then explain how some characters appear in it even tho she never met them?
>>
>>83500004

I think the dream theory is too easy.

I prefer the bardo theory.

http://www.near-death.com/religion/buddhism/afterlife-beliefs.html
http://www.mulholland-drive.net/studies/art_religious.htm
http://thenightshirt.com/?p=10
http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/features/remain-light-mulholland-dr-and-cosmogony-david-lynch
>>
>>83500004

It's in the Twin Peaks universe. Look at the people in the audience during the song.
>>
>>83502213
which ones?
>>
File: lynched.jpg (30KB, 436x263px) Image search: [Google]
lynched.jpg
30KB, 436x263px
You have to figure out just who it is doing the dreaming.

>it's you!
>>
>>83500004
great thread, roastie.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 495x314px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 495x314px
>>83501757
He could represent Diane's guilt. He appears at Winkie's which is the place where she ordered the hit on Rita but it hides in a back alley because she tries to repress it, to the point that she doesn't make it a part of her dream but displaces it to the other guy's dream. This guy refers to the hobo as a HE because he thinks it's a part of his dream, but in fact it's secretly a woman (it's also played by a woman) because it's actually a part of Diane's dream.
There's also the fact that the hobo owns the box that makes Diane's dream collapse and the little old couple hallucination that drives her to suicide comes from her bag.
>>
>>83502351
the guy on the wheelchair for instance
>>
>>83502460
The midget? She makes them all up.
>>
>>83502338
So betty goes on to marry Dougie Jones like ten years later?
>>
>>83502460
Dreams are made up of familiar things and things that your mind just makes up. For instance the blue key and box are both obviously related to the blue key in the reality but it doesn't take the same form in the dream. Some characters are based on people she saw in real life while others are basically figments of her imagination to fill out the dream such as the gangster stuff and just random side characters.
>>
>>83502247
Decent. People should realize just how religious a lot of his works are in nature
>>
>>83502894
I've read an interpretation of Inland Empire kind of like that where it involves reincarnation and cleansing your soul which I guess is something involved in Lynch's beliefs of transcendental meditation. Though IE is more abstract. I haven't read those theories about Mulholland Drive (will in a little bit) but it just seems so straightforward that it seems weird that it wouldn't be just about dreaming.
>>
Wow 15+ posts and nobody has called Lynch pretentious yet. Maybe this board is getting better.
>>
>>83500004

I don't think "dream" is the correct them. Diane's in shock because she can't deal with reality, she can't deal with the guilt of having her lover killed so her mind is protecting her by unfolding her personality and creating a maze.

>>83501757

The vagrant is a representation of the Freudian concept of sinister. The unknown within the familiar. (the unknown usually associated with fear) It is one of the first indicatives that something is "wrong" with the world.
This makes sense if you pay attention to the whole scene, what are the guys discussing? They are at their usual place discussing a dream and the guy is scared for no reason... suddenly he fears a place he believes he knows.

It's basically Lynch explaining the movie or preparing us, the audience to understand it... we believe we do at that point, but we actually don't.
>>
>>83500004
Only watched it once so the scenes aren't crystal clear to me, but I saw it as, basically, we as the viewer just don't know and can't know which scenes are fabricated in her mind and which aren't.

Bottom line is the hobo represents failure and those older people were probably her parents, the pressure of being successful etc. drove her to depression and probably made her a lesbian rather than her starting out as one (repressed sexuality, off mentality). She killed herself, and a lot of what we're seeing is just variation of people she knew or even just saw briefly, like the cowboy just passing by at the party for a split second turning into an actual character in her self-fabricated wishful thinking narrative.

I'm sure it's more comprehensible than I can remember, but I prefer Lost Highway for this reason, because that movie is much more comprehensible. Also has a cooler premise imo.
>>
>>83503235
I actually think that Lost Highway is more confusing since it doesn't have as easy an explanation for what's happening. Both pretty much occur chronologically (Lost Highway more so, but the first part of Mulholland Drive does too) but MD has the dream explanation and wraps up with a suicide. Lost Highway sort of does a time loop and then just ends with the man character screaming/laughing and it doesn't seem to make as much logical sense. Though I haven't read any interpretations of Lost Highway so there may be a good explanation for it but it's not as readily apparent as in Mulholland Drive, even if both have deeper meanings/interpretations.
>>
>>83503160
>I don't think "dream" is the correct them

The beauty of the film is that you can interpret it the way you want and it's as valid. The "dream" just happens to be the most common one and I'm comfortable with it.
>>
>>83503327

The phrase I always read regarding Lost Highway is "psychogenic fugue." But I think Lost Highway still goes along with the transmigration of the soul thing from Mulholland Drive.
>>
i'm so sad thinking about the scene at the end where the old couple close in on diane and she loses her mind and starts screaming thinking about how much she's disappointed them and how much she's let them down, it's so fucking tragic bros
>>
File: OsmQRIP.jpg (23KB, 656x278px) Image search: [Google]
OsmQRIP.jpg
23KB, 656x278px
>>83503327
It might not be as apparent in Lost Highway, yeah. But when you catch what's going on like I did on the second watch through the whole thing actually wraps up nicely.

In case you just want to read an analysis, here is a really good one:

https://italkyoubored.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/david-lynchs-lost-highway-who-is-dick-laurent/

tl;dr version, it's a similar premise in that it's a dream and at the end he is actually being electrocuted since that's the method of execution he was sentenced to death under. The first part of the movie is either being shown to you from his demented, sociopathic eyes or is being recollected by him and warped once he is in prison - or, the whole movie is during his electrocution; in multiple scenes he is looking up as if waiting for deliverance, which could suggest the scenes we're looking at are all spiritual / mental imagery. The rest of the movie where he's Pete Dayton is a fantasy where he is the "good guy". The overall premise is that he was a sociopath, who could not perform sexually with his wife, and he murdered a man he suspected his wife to be having an affair with along with her.
>>
>>83503570
It's likely her grandparents raped and abused her, actually
>>
>>83503570
Those scenes at the beginning whith the old couple are equally sad imo
>>
I wish I could win a Jitterbug contest
>>
I tend to go for the theory that it's multiple dreams rather than the standard interpretation that the first bit is a dream and then the last bit is the reality
like she wakes up after opening the blue box but the drifts back into other dreams which is why the last bit is also so surreal and that's the whole point of the lady with the blue hair showing up at the very end, to remind you that it's another club silencio fake out
>>
I think her dream appeared before she killed herself, the film is in correct order IMO.
The trick is that Lynch gives us incredible insight into Naomi Watts' character, by giving us over an hour of footage of her subconsciousness.
>>
>>83504690
any evidence?
>>
>>83504690
Retard
>>
>>83500004
When I first saw it I thought she was the victim of some cabal and everything in the first half actually happened, but she wasn't "chosen" by the mysterious people in power, so everyone intentionally pretended to have never known her so as to drive her insane. This sort of aligns with the general entertainment industry idea of being a has-been. It's like she's one of many people who got chewed up and spit out by Hollywood.
>>
>>83501757
The hobo is just Diane's fear of failure -> becoming a hobo in Hollywood instead of becoming a movie star. Two opposites.
>>
>>83503824
What the fuck is wrong with the music tho? Was it juste the late 90's?
>>
Absolutely op. We're seeing alternate realities and the demon who lives in the alley manipulates reality to destroy hopes and dreams. The old couple are his minions. The box and the key is a bridge between realities. Turning the key skews two realities together. The box is known to the demon or possibly created by him and the results of turning the key are always bent to his evil intent.
>>
This film was such garbage, the fact that no one has come up with a coherent explanation is a testament to that. Nevermind that it wasn't even intended to be a film to begin with.

Why do lynchfags defend this piece of shit? Even Lost Highway was better, and at least it was creepy
>>
>>83507549
Just watch Batman vs Superman, more your speed.
>>
>>83501757

The filthy hobo represents what Diane will become. Just another forgotten failed actress in LA.

The "dream" happens when she masturbates, it's a fantasy but her guilt intrudes and twists it at points.
>>
>>83507571
>dude it's all a mobius strip it's not meant to make sense!

>>>/r/movies
>>
no one cares about your crappy interpretations, post more Naomi Watts
>>
>>83507645
Yeah I get it you don't like the movie, why don't you go fuck off to some movie thread your brainlet can understand. No one wants you here and no one cares what you have to say.
>>
>>83507494
I love this. This mythology about dual realities reminds me of Twin Peaks in its logic.
>>
this was such a garbage film

>>83507699
clearly you do, you whining faggot
>>
>>83507549
>>83507670
>>
What's with Lynch and his smoking and nudity fetish?
>>
>>83508070
I think nudity is a pretty common fetish.
>>
File: photo.jpg (58KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
58KB, 900x900px
>>83503570
I know some anons find the scene where she crywanks really hot but it's just a tear jerker for me
>>
>>83508163
it's one of the saddest scenes ever. Not only she gets blue balled but also dropped forever by her smoking hot gf. Poor Diane.
>>
File: mastubation.webm (3MB, 1280x692px) Image search: [Google]
mastubation.webm
3MB, 1280x692px
>>83507670
>>
>>83503570
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzRgkD4l7Xs
old people screaming scene about a minute in
>>
>>83500004
I subscribe to the dream interpretation, but position the dream between Diane ordering the murder and her finding the key. The dream starts with an attempt on Rita/Camilla's life failing, shows the hitman being incompetent, etc. Basically portraying Diane's deepest wish where the murder fails and instead she and Rita get to meet and fall in love with the slate wiped clean. Everything from that point on is the dream falling apart.

>>83501757
The diner scene is basically a deep-dream moment where Diane's subconscious interprets reality and dreamworld backwards. She retreats so far into her mind that she is now a random customer she saw while at Winkie's in real life. The horror of confronting her guilt over ordering Camilla's murder is abstracted into the poop goblin, which manifests as the Diane surrogate's nightmare she attempts to repress but can't escape. The Diane surrogate interprets his guilt and anxiety as a dream and seeks comfort with the other character, a vaguely comforting figure, but he fails in this regard. This attempt at nightmare repression fails, and Diane reverts back to her Rita fantasy.
>>
>>83502455
oy vey
>>
>>83500004
Is her Vulva still pixelated on the Blu-Ray like on the DVD?
I'm not gonna watch something that isn't David's original vision.
>>
>>83500004

Diane is a ghost.

Rita / Camilla has amnesia after the car crash (arranged by Diane) that *nearly* killed her. Diane killed herself out of guilt after she ordered the "hit" on Rita / Camilla. But the "hit" was unsuccessful.

The first part of the film is ghost Diane trying to help Rita / Camilla get her memory back. Of course, ghost Diane herself doesn't realise it was her that caused Rita / Camilla's near-death crash & amnesia in the first place.

When the two women open the box in Club Silencio, Diane weeps because the box actually contains both their memories and she finally realises that she herself is dead.

The last part of the film shows the events that led up to Diane trying to kill Rita / Camilla, then committing suicide.
>>
>>83503327

Fred murders Renee and goes to prison. Because he can't escape from prison, he will escape to the only place he can, his own head.
He creates a better life for himself as Pete Dayton. In the real life Renee cheated on Fred, but now he gets to cheat on her. In the garage scene he switches the radio station because he doesn't want to listen to a saxophone solo (reality kicking in).

At the end of the movie Pete says to Alice "I want you" but she responds by saying "You'll never have me" After this Pete starts to disappear and Fred comes back. At the end he gets electrocuted in prison.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.