[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For all of Stanley Kubrick's genius and passion for film,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 4

For all of Stanley Kubrick's genius and passion for film, what can you say about him that you don't like or think is a tad bit overrated?

Also,name some filmmakers who do a certain aspect better than Kubrick and why you feel that way
>>
>>83430990
A clockwork orange. Most over rated film in the history of cinema.
>>
His movies feel like they were made by a machine
There's very little humanity or emotion in them

Barry Lyndon is great as a series of screenshots but a very dull movie
>>
Kubrick's feature films constitute a near-encyclopedia of cinematic 'exempla' for film critics and theorists fascinated by both the structures of film rhetoric and the complexities of communicating with light and sound to an audience in the dark. No matter if the responsive vocabulary is generative or receptive, intrinsic or extrinsic, formal or humanistic: Kubrick's films embody such a stylistic and conceptual density that they are capable of stimulating even the most parochial of critical tastes.

An updated revision of Pudovkin's "Film Technique" (the film book that has had perhaps the greatest influence on Kubrick's private aesthetics) could be written with reference ONLY to Kubrick's work. What better examples in recent years do we have of the difficulties of film adaptation (from novel to script to screen) than Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, and The Shining; of the plasticity of film time than in the clockwork precision of the editing of The Killing and Dr. Strangelove and the match-cut linking bone and satellite in 2001; of a dynamic and subtle use of camera and composition than in Paths of Glory; of the innovative use of lenses and color than in A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon; of the complex manipulation of cinematic point of view -- subjective, omniscient, "mindscreen" -- than in those films adapted from novels using the convention of the first-person unreliable narrator, namely Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, and Barry Lyndon; of the expressive use of film space, what Kuleshov once called "creative geography," than in the three settings of Dr. Strangelove, the spatial poetry of 2001, the mise-en-scene of A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon, and the internal mazes of The Shining; of the imaginative use of asynchronous sound than in almost all his films?

To be sure, these are brilliant achievements. His only error was making Eyes Wide Shut, which unfortunately falls short on every level, including the casting of a talentless cultist as the star.
>>
>>83430990
Kubrick stole the boot camp suicide from a ten hour Japanese movie called The Human Condition.
>>
>>83431635
That's like saying Rogue is based on Beneath Apple Manor. Seriously doubt Kubrick ever saw that flick.
>>
eyes wide shut is 80% fucking garbage. The party is the only good chunk

everything before and after is either exposition or suspense that felt very forced. Also mother fuck, the audio is actually amateurish, like you hear it cut in and out if you listen. Its really fucking embarrassing.
>>
>>83431635
come on now, just because both involve a bootcamp suicide, that doesn't mean one is stolen from the other. If this is the case you basically have to say any movie about one person freeing a bunch of people is a rip off of the story of moses.
>>
He was too perfect
>>
>>83431726
It's almost shot for shot except the Japanese one is semi-comedic at the end. There is no way it's a coincidence. The bootcamp sequence is one of the most compelling things about it, but apart from the "crazy brave" line, draws no material from either Herr or Caputo.
>>
>>83431853
The shot composition is completely distinct. Why are you lying?
>>
>>83431726
They don't "both involve a bootcamp suicide." They both follow a doomed "problem child," who would be a functional human elsewhere but is misclassified and treated as a malicious retard, has trouble reassembling his weapon at first, is attached to the protagonist in a babysitting arrangement, is unable to keep up with training, is beaten as part of collective punishment, and who ultimately shoots himself in the head in a bathroom stall at night.
Except that in the Japanese one there is a mechanical issue that is misinterpreted as a possible miraculous reprieve.
>>
>>83431950
What other conspiracy theories do you believe in?
>>
>>83431871
Oh good sir you neglected to mention also that they are wearing different uniforms!
>>
>>83431971
Exactly how is the term "conspiracy theory" applicable here?
>>
>>83432000
Answer your own question using the best possible argument you can muster.
>>
>>83431976
well in all honesty, you can't say shot for shot if it isn't. Further hyperbole doesn't detract from the fact you called the movie something it isn't.
>>
>>83432105
Are you literally a reddit mod?
"Conspiracy theory" is a thought-leading forcememe intended to discredit speculation about government crimes which became not only public but in firm grip of the American imagination in the seventies. It pejoratively depends on baseless allegations. It ought to concern itself with a conspiracy of some kind. Lately there has been a gratuitously lazy adaptation, replacing the whole term with its first half (Obama did this in a town hall), which incoherently implies that conspiracy itself is an outlandish suggestion. Conspiracy is planning by two or more criminals. Obviously conspiracy itself is not some unimaginable thing: it is a daily occurence.
Stanley Kubrick last time I checked was one (1) guy. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
>>
>>83431022
This.
>>
>>83432147
That's probaby why, in more honesty than you can handle, I didn't. Go back and read what I wrote.
Would you agree that much of the FMJ boot camp sequence is derived from neither the books of Herr or Caputo, and overlaps in the basics of its story with the basic training arc in THC?
>>
>>83432256
You were asked to answer the question of how conspiracy theory was applicable here, putting yourselves in another's moccasins as it were, not to produce an orthogonal pro-consipracy theory rant in response to a gentle request. Is this really the best you could do?
>>
>>83432480
conspiracy theory of any kind credible or ridiculous
requires
a
group
>>
>>83432546
Yeah, you're pretty simple-minded, aren't you? You were asked to debate from the position of opposition and you're just linearly opposing without any significant effort.

IQ100 at best. I'm sad I engaged with you. Let me guess, C student non-college?
>>
>>83432480
Here's a crazy thought from a flyover hick who doesn't write for the New Yorker: why not answer the question?
Is it because you don't understand the difference beween namecalling and refutation?
>>
>>83432576
>why not answer the question yourself?
Perfect answer to the Socratic method, doofus. This board is worse than it's ever been. Morons dominate.
>>
>>83432575
>you were asked you were asked you were asked
I notice you have nothing to say about the story being the same.
Call me stupid more. Kubrick is well within legally actionable territory, it's never going to go anywhere because everybody's dead and nobody's going to see THC, but it's all there upthread, you have no arguments but this cheap "qualify yourself to my satisfaction" dodge, and hey, maybe if you call me stupid more then history will undo itself. Give it a try. You have nothing better to do.
>>
>>83432635
You are stupid, though.
>>
>>83432656
Okay. I'm stupid. I grant that and bring across everything you did not even try to refute: part of Kubrick's story looks an awful lot like part of the story in an unrelated Japanese movie which was not properly credited.
>>
>>83430990
He's overrated for sure but still one of the best American directors
>>
My dad thought it would be a good idea to show us 2001 when I was like, 6, so now I have an irrational hatred of Kubrick's boring ass movies.
>>
>>83432699
Rogue looks and feels a lot like Beneath Apple Manor. You really are stupid, and fuck you.
>>
kubrick is great, nothing i can criticise
>>
>>83433011
sorry your dad had such a shitty son
>>
>>83433242

It's okay, he was a shitty dad too.
>>
>>83433011
I'm sorry to hear that his son is a retard.
>>
>>83433280

Lol, I said it was irrational. I'm sure if I watched them again now I'd be into them. I just have a kneejerk reaction against them now, not saying they're bad movies.
>>
>>83431022
Barry Lyndon is his most underrated. Probably because on the surface it looks like it should be boring as shit but it's actually damn good
>>
>>83433328

Just remembered I saw Clockwork Orange in college and thought it was shit, so maybe not. Any recommendations if that might change my mind?
>>
>>83433011
i was really young when i saw 2001 and clockwork orange. I still remember the impact some of those scenes had on me.
>>
>>83433656

Tbf, he forced us to watch it, which was probably part of the problem.
>>
>>83433095
Wow you are really angry and I have never heard of either of those.
>>
>>83430990
I think the way people justify his mistreatment of his casts and crews is probably what drives me up the wall the most about him, particularly the way he treated Shelley Duvall.

When the best advice someone can give you about working on a Kubrick movie is, "Better rent a house," then you're dealing with an asshole.

Kubrick loved Kubrick and had no respect or regard for others, and yet he gets a pass because his films were consistently good. Nothing excuses shitty interpersonal skills or excessive waste. If you can't get it in 20 takes, then maybe you need to take some time to rethink what you're doing.
>>
I'm too dumb to understand this thread.
>>
>>83430990
2001 was insanely overrated. The film is beautiful, but it's so plodding and devoid of anything but camerawork. It's a chore to sit through. Nothing feels tense or emotional, even Hal's demise.

This seems like an odd comparison, but I would actually say that the first Alien does a better job at creating a unique and beautiful space setting, then using it as a field to show man's struggle with something that was essentially created to be superior.

>>83431101
I agree when regarding 2001, but The Shining and Full Metal Jacket are extremely human movies. They feel very organic and emotional in ways that don't feel overly calculated or dissonant.
>>
Kubricks LOlita is a boring piece of crap while Adrien Lynes Lolita is an underrated masterpiece
>>
Babby's first filmmaker

There is nothing wrong with him but he's entry level.
>>
>>83434605
Who would you consider more sophisticated?
>>
>>83431101
>Barry Lyndon is great as a series of screenshots but a very dull movie
shit opinion
>>
>>83430990
I hate Kubrick Noise. It's annoying, and it's just a cheap way to create tension. Can't stand that shit other than in Shining when the little boy is driving his bike around the hotel and it's hitting the hardwood and then the carpet and then hardwood etc...
>>
There should have been a final scene on 2001 which shows that the monoliths were sent from the future by regular humans to track human progress, and inadvertly helped mankind's evolution. Implying Aliens sent those monoliths is just lazy writing

Alsol Shining is boring, there is no explanation or even reason for the kid and the other guy to have superpowers, but I guess that is Stephen King's fault
>>
>>83434190
>2001 was insanely overrated. The film is beautiful, but it's so plodding and devoid of anything but camerawork
Agreed. Love most of his work but 2001 is the most overrated.
>>
>>83435113
This
>>
>>83435995
Does
>>
>>83436362
NOT
>>
>>83436766
Fucking
>>
>>83431101
Its kind of funny actually. Watching documentaries about him, he seemed like an intelligent, down to earth relatively laid back guy. They said he was also pretty funny on set too and very open to ideas.
>>
>>83431022
What's overrated about it? If anything it's underrated, given the hate it gets on here.
>>
File: canto_75.png (618KB, 1074x1600px) Image search: [Google]
canto_75.png
618KB, 1074x1600px
I think film grain is sexy desu
>>
>>83430990
2001 was probably the most boring movie I've ever seen. Technically it was brilliant, and I can appreciate the craftsmanship that went into the sets, the rigs, and the camerawork, but I do not find it actually entertaining in the slightest. There's very little music, what music there is, is absolutely jarring, and shots go on for about 30 seconds longer than they have to, with the exception of the eight-minute acid trip at the end that should have concluded by the second minute. Over-indulgent is probably the most accurate way I could describe 2001.
>>
>>83431833
this
>>
>>83439010
>all movies have to be entertaining
>>
>>83439010
But Hal is a well written character!
>>
He said his favorite comedy movie was The Jerk.

And The Jerk is not that much of a funny film.
>>
>>83439317
comedy is subjective after all.
>>
>>83431101
>There's very little humanity or emotion in [2001]

>>83434190
>to show man's struggle with something that was essentially created to be superior.

imagine missing the point of a film with such simplistic themes this badly
>>
>>83437630
SLIP
>>
File: 1488134131787.jpg (19KB, 326x326px) Image search: [Google]
1488134131787.jpg
19KB, 326x326px
>>83439010
2001 is a classical piece of music set to pictures. If you are not able to enjoy the nuances of a long classical movement, you won't enjoy the absolute state of kino that is 2001.
>>
>>83431022
>Titanic
>>
>>83432256
Have you tried stimming? It helps.
>>
>>83430990
>A NIGGER
>better conclude this space horror with a 20 minute acid trip montage

that's all. I tried to find something smarmy to say about Clockwork O but honestly nothing came to mind.
>I even enjoyed the fight choreography
>>
>Kubrick
Sup reddit
>>
>>83430990
he was an obsessive autist and shit father
>>
>>83431700
>edited by one of the party goers

good luck ever getting Kubricks actual meanings. theyve been obliterated in editing.
>>
>>83442911
I never knew this. Did he just pick some random guy from the extras or was it someone he knew already?
>>
Not my opinion, but something a professor of mine in uni used to rail on about whenever he got the chance.

>NASA gave Kubrick his .5 aperture lens in exchange to film the moon landing

This man is 76, still teaching students, is still a respected member of the teaching community, and still believes/pushes this illuminati-tier horseshit.
>>
File: Eyes Wide Shut.jpg (421KB, 1140x380px) Image search: [Google]
Eyes Wide Shut.jpg
421KB, 1140x380px
>>83431700
Pleb detected. 9fag is just a click away, pal
>>
>>83431101
dude have you ever seen path of glory?
>>
>>83430990
I think the way he handles ambiguity comes off as empty and pretentious. I prefer Inarittu's approach to vague endings. Hell, I prefer Nolan's, too.

Kubrick's one excellent ending was A Clockwork Orange and that's because it was both clever and straightforward.
>>
>>83431635
Is human condition worth 100$ on Blu-ray?
>>
>>83445223
Barry Lyndon doesn't have an ambiguous ending
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.